The only thing separating CP3 from Magic is rings. Thoughts?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

How many rings does Chris Paul have to win to be the best PG ever?

0 - He already is the best PG ever...
3%
No votes
3%
8%
More than 3
7%
He's not better than Magic and never will be
78%

Total votes: 60

Hodges4Three
Starter
And1: 1,027

Re: The only thing separating CP3 from Magic is rings. Thoug 

Post#41 » by Hodges4Three » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:08 pm

CP3 being one of the biggest floppers in the NBA disqualifies him in my eyes. Dude choked away a Playoff game vs OKC trying to flop for a foul.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,156

Post#42 » by Edrees » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:09 pm

I'd say if he won 7 rings as either the #1 or #2 option I'd consider him better than Magic.
COM_GTFO
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#43 » by COM_GTFO » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:10 pm

R U Legit wrote:You make it sound like 5 rings vs never getting past the 2nd round is some small thing

Not at all. It's a massive difference clearly.

But then again, playoff wins/championships are TEAM accomplishments. And even the biggest Magic fan ever couldn't possibly say that Chris Paul has been in an easier conference/on better teams in his career than the 80s Lakers.

It just seems to me that people dismiss Paul because Magic has that historic legacy of being a winner - and more importantly, being a winner as the face of the Showtime Lakers who revived the NBA's popularity - even though winning has more to do with the team than the individual.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,147

Post#44 » by druggas » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:13 pm

COM_GTFO wrote:
R U Legit wrote:You make it sound like 5 rings vs never getting past the 2nd round is some small thing

But then again, playoff wins/championships are TEAM accomplishments. And even the biggest Magic fan ever couldn't possibly say that Chris Paul has been in an easier conference/on better teams in his career than the 80s Lakers.

It just seems to me that people dismiss Paul because Magic has that historic legacy of being a winner - and more importantly, being a winner as the face of the Showtime Lakers who revived the NBA's popularity - even though winning has more to do with the team than the individual.

Who do you think made them "Showtime"?
primecougar
Starter
And1: 928

Post#45 » by primecougar » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 pm

When lebron gets compared to anyone, it's all about stats and advanced stats. Rings are won as a part of a team and they don't matter, there's no such thing as clutch and blah blah.

I consider magic to be the best pg ever and cp3 at number 2.

Realgm has their favs, they can use eye test for players they like or use stats, whatever it takes to make one guy look good.
#1 pick wrote:MJ wasn't more skilled than Lebron. Quite the opposite to be honest.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#46 » by Warspite » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:17 pm

dice wrote:
Def Leppard wrote:The only thing separating them is the toughest thing to come by in the league.

put CP3 on those lakers squads and they're still winning rings. just less maybe

Jerry West decides to keep Norm Nixon at PG and trades CP3 to Chicago for their 1983 draft pick because CP3 cant play SG and isnt athletic enough to play at 1980s pace. Lakers then draft MJ.

CP3 would be great in the 90s but in the 80s he just isnt athletic enough to run full court.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#47 » by j-ragg » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:17 pm

I see where OP is coming from, it's at the very least a good topic to talk about.

Zarko wrote:Did you say defensively CP3> Magic?

Magic had the versatility to defend 1-5. Hell, today he could easily defend the centers in this league. Add in his ability to peform in the playoffs and its Magic all day.

Well, Chris Paul is much better at defending his position. Versatility doesn't ALWAYS equal better.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
COM_GTFO
Sophomore

Post#48 » by COM_GTFO » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:19 pm

druggas wrote:
COM_GTFO wrote:

Who do you think made them "Showtime"?

Magic and Worthy.

I don't see how that's relevant though. Yes, Magic was great, and yes Magic was responsible for the up-tempo offense that the Lakers captivated people with, but my point is that people are overrating Magic for exactly that. Because he was a Laker, because he was the face of the league, because he was a winner, because he was so exciting, people rate him higher than they should - even though all of those factors aren't really relevant to Magic's ability as a player. He's a great player and definitely in the conversation for GOAT, but people are so in love with the narrative of Magic the superstar that they dismiss stats/the fact that the Lakers were a phenomenal organization & team and give him even more credit than he's already earned.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#49 » by BarneyGumble » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:21 pm

Is OP serious?
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,267

Post#50 » by Frank Dux » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:22 pm

I'm not even sure I would take CP3 over Nash or Kidd, let alone the greatest point guard of all time.

CP3 will go down as one of the most overrated players of all time. as an elite player, the amount of flopping he does is despicable, and quite pathetic. He often looks for the easy way out by cheating, rather than having a killer instinct and closing out games. He really struggles balancing between scoring and keeping his teammates involved in important games. His teammates are extremely underrated as well.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#51 » by dice » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Warspite wrote:
dice wrote:
Def Leppard wrote:The only thing separating them is the toughest thing to come by in the league.

put CP3 on those lakers squads and they're still winning rings. just less maybe

Jerry West decides to keep Norm Nixon at PG and trades CP3 to Chicago for their 1983 draft pick because CP3 cant play SG and isnt athletic enough to play at 1980s pace. Lakers then draft MJ.

CP3 would be great in the 90s but in the 80s he just isnt athletic enough to run full court.

isiah?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#52 » by L&H_05 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Easily one of the better players in the game-- but IMO easily one of the most overrated players of his generation...

Don't show me hollow stats... Show me rings, awards, deep playoff runs, multiple finals appearances etc..

Comparing Chris Paul in any capacity to Magic Johnson is such a disservice to Magic.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,169

Post#53 » by SA37 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 pm

I think Paul is good, but I don't even think he's the best point guard in the league, let alone better than Magic.

Magic revolutionized the game. His contribution goes WAY beyond any statistical measure.
EntropyPR
Banned User
And1: 2,381

Post#54 » by EntropyPR » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:32 pm

When did CP3 win MVP 3 times? Seeing as OP says it is just rings, this means Paul has already won MVP at least 3 times.
COM_GTFO
Sophomore

Post#55 » by COM_GTFO » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:35 pm

L&H_05 wrote:Easily one of the better players in the game-- but IMO easily one of the most overrated players of his generation...

Don't show me hollow stats... Show me rings, awards, deep playoff runs, multiple finals appearances etc..

Comparing Chris Paul in any capacity to Magic Johnson is such a disservice to Magic.

How are per 100 possessions stats & advanced stats accumulated over a consecutive 7-year period "hollow"?

So these stats are hollow, but awards & rings aren't? You can't be serious. By that logic Steve Nash is a better player all-time than Shaq, because he had more MVPs. By that logic, Tony Parker is better than Wilt Chamberlain because he has more rings & the same number of Finals MVPs.
COM_GTFO
Sophomore

Post#56 » by COM_GTFO » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:39 pm

EntropyPR wrote:When did CP3 win MVP 3 times? Seeing as OP says it is just rings, this means Paul has already won MVP at least 3 times.

He hasn't, and he doesn't need to IMO.

Judging players by MVPs doesn't work. Is Nash better than Shaq/Kobe because he has more MVPs? Nope. Is Derrick Rose a better all-time player than Wade because he has more MVPs? Nope. Is Allen Iverson better than John Stockton/Isiah Thomas because he has more MVPs? Nope.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#57 » by Marcus » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:41 pm

G35 wrote:I think it's a reasonable question for anyone who has not seen Magic play and then you look at the numbers, what separates the two.

From an analytical pov what does separate the players.....

in that respect i get it.

but from seeing both players i'm willing to say its not really all that debatable. as much as im not a fan i'd pick Magic any day of the week.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#58 » by Timmaytime » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:42 pm

About 9 inches actually
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#59 » by L&H_05 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:44 pm

COM_GTFO wrote:
L&H_05 wrote:Easily one of the better players in the game-- but IMO easily one of the most overrated players of his generation...

How are per 100 possessions stats & advanced stats accumulated over a consecutive 7-year period "hollow"?

So these stats are hollow, but awards & rings aren't? You can't be serious. By that logic Steve Nash is a better player all-time than Shaq, because he had more MVPs. By that logic, Tony Parker is better than Wilt Chamberlain because he has more rings & the same number of Finals MVPs.
I wonder if players are drafted on advanced stats and per 100 possessions ?

No, awards aren't hollow... Common sense should prevail over decimal points...

Steve Nash's 2 mvp's does not make his career better than Shaq's or Kobe's--- ya know, cause they won a lot of games-- competed for a lot of championships-- have a lot of rings in addition to all nba teams, all star games, mvp award, finals MVP awards etc.... Resume' is a bit fuller than just advanced stats and per 100 possessions.....
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#60 » by Slava » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Timmaytime wrote:About 9 inches actually

:eyebrows:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to The General Board