Golden State on paper=championship roster..what is missing?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

KobeKenobi
Senior
And1: 222

Golden State on paper=championship roster..what is missing? 

Post#1 » by KobeKenobi » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:32 am

They have one of the best backcourts in the game. Not to mention the luxury of having Thompson and Andre anchoring their defense. David Lee is one of the best Power Forwards in the game. This is a team full of youth, athleticism and talent.

I think they lack solid veteran leadership. Livingston was a good addtion, but Curry and Thompson seem more like kids than leaders. I think they need a solid veteran all star that can close games. Thompson and Curry seem to drift and be inconsistent when the tough get going. I think if someone like Joe Johnson was inserted on that roster they could get to the finals.
Bro Johnson
Banned User
And1: 330

Re: Golden State on paper=championship roster..what is missi 

Post#2 » by Bro Johnson » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:33 am

Bogut staying healthy.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#3 » by noobcake » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:34 am

That is why Vegas has them as the #5 team in West, #7 overall.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,457

Post#4 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:36 am

Kobe obviously.
KazuoOda
Rookie
And1: 1,316

Post#5 » by KazuoOda » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:43 am

Kevin Love
maoriboy
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#6 » by maoriboy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:48 am

KobeKenobi wrote:They have one of the best backcourts in the game. Not to mention the luxury of having Thompson and Andre anchoring their defense. David Lee is one of the best Power Forwards in the game. This is a team full of youth, athleticism and talent.

I think they lack solid veteran leadership. Livingston was a good addtion, but Curry and Thompson seem more like kids than leaders. I think they need a solid veteran all star that can close games. Thompson and Curry seem to drift and be inconsistent when the tough get going. I think if someone like Joe Johnson was inserted on that roster they could get to the finals.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is so much wrong with all this I don't know where to begin.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#7 » by hands11 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:49 am

KobeKenobi wrote:They have one of the best backcourts in the game. Not to mention the luxury of having Thompson and Andre anchoring their defense. David Lee is one of the best Power Forwards in the game. This is a team full of youth, athleticism and talent.

With this roster, they just need to grow into it. And Iggy is that kind of a leader.

I think they have a shot of taking it up a level.

Curry and Thompson are the best back court in the league. They should go deep this year. Top 4 in the West is going to be a war and I put them up there.
Austincys21
Veteran
And1: 733

Post#8 » by Austincys21 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:50 am

I'm hoping this USA summer tourney will grow curry and Klay into better smarter leaders. Warriors are my wildcard to make the WCF.

Livingston was a great addition and Draymond Green will be much improved 6th man. Also Bogut needs to stay healthy
hands11
Banned User

Post#9 » by hands11 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:52 am

Austincys21 wrote:I'm hoping this USA summer tourney will grow curry and Klay into better smarter leaders. Warriors are my wildcard to make the WCF.

Livingston was a great addition and Draymond Green will be much improved 6th man. Also Bogut needs to stay healthy

Good point. It clearly will and it will make GS a better team.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:53 am

Offensive discipline and structure
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
PopAGat
Starter
And1: 472

Post#11 » by PopAGat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:54 am

David Lee one of the best PFs? Lol
Credits to TurboZone
ocelot17
Starter
And1: 3,829

Post#12 » by ocelot17 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:06 am

I'm sorry but they do not have a championship roster, not on paper or on court. Don't be fooled by their fan friendly style of play. What have they honestly done do to get all this praise and love from Espn and real gm?

As long as the spurs, clipps, thunder, blazers, mavs and also rockets (bad match up for gsw) are in the west, they have no shot. They should be happy just getting out of the first round.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,150

Post#13 » by Def Swami » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:08 am

Depth and injuries were their achilles heels last season. Adding Livingston helps a ton; enables Curry to play off ball and move Thompson to the 3 and Barnes to the 4, like when he was so lethal against the Nuggets 2 years ago in the playoffs. If they're healthy, they're one of the top 4 teams out West. They had a top 10 defense last season without key players in the rotation throughout the season (Andre Iguodala and Andrew Bogut both missed time), and we all know how vital that is to being a contender. The offensive talent is there amongst individual players; it'll be up to Steve Kerr to bring the best of it out of them as a team, something Mark Jackson could not do on that end of the floor.
hands11
Banned User

Post#14 » by hands11 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:30 am

Def Swami wrote:Depth and injuries were their achilles heels last season. Adding Livingston helps a ton; enables Curry to play off ball and move Thompson to the 3 and Barnes to the 4, like when he was so lethal against the Nuggets 2 years ago in the playoffs. If they're healthy, they're one of the top 4 teams out West. They had a top 10 defense last season without key players in the rotation throughout the season (Andre Iguodala and Andrew Bogut both missed time), and we all know how vital that is to being a contender. The offensive talent is there amongst individual players; it'll be up to Steve Kerr to bring the best of it out of them as a team; something Mark Jackson could not do on that end of the floor.

Iggy year two should be able to play a bigger role.
Ian4
Starter
And1: 381

Post#15 » by Ian4 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:42 am

wtf are you talking about op, the warriors are not championship quality.
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#16 » by WesleyExChiFan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:52 am

They're my favorite to come out of the West. The main weakness obviously is Lee's defense. If they could move him for a more defensive oriented 4 that would be optimal. Even so, I think they have the right depth, balance and consistency to run the gauntlet in the playoffs out West.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,620

Post#17 » by nomansland » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:54 am

Lee is far from one of the best 4's in the league. Bogut is usually injured and iggy is on the decline. Plus they have an inexperienced coach and Thompson with hurt feelings over the Love rumors. I expect them to win fewer games this year.
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#18 » by MinneOOPalis » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:05 am

The fact this guy is still making threads shows why general board is a joke.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#19 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:06 am

Bro Johnson wrote:Bogut staying healthy.

Bingo. People always mention the relative talents of different players (and rightfully so), but many, many times in past seasons it has come down to who has the healthiest team at playoff time. Case in point, when the Celtics were the dominant team during Russell's reign, for the most part they managed to keep him and the other top Celtics healthy at playoff time. Russell probably would have won 12 titles in 13 years if he hadn't severely sprained his ankle during the '58 playoffs with the Hawks which Boston barely lost in seven games.
Look at SA. One huge reason that SA has been the dominant team of the new century is that Popovich makes sure his key players are healthy for the playoffs.
GS lost in seven games to the Clippers losing the last game by four points with their top defensive player and rebounder, Bogut, not playing a minute in the entire series.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#20 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:07 am

It's as simple as this, if Bogut and Curry stay healthy during the playoffs, they have a chance at winning a ring. Only a small chance, but they feasibly could go all the way if the stars align.

If Bogut or Curry goes down, they don't.

SAS are my favourites in the West, followed by OKC, but if GSW stay healthy, they could be right there alongside OKC.

I think LAC are better than GSW, but I'd back a healthy GSW over LAC in a best of 7 if they met in the West, no question.

Return to The General Board