Glen Taylor Questions Love's Health & Defense.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Re: Glen Taylor Questions Love's Health & Defense. 

Post#61 » by loserX » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:29 pm

Sofa King wrote:If Kevin Love doesn't help the CAVs win the chip, I think the blame from everyone and the media will go directly to Lebron than to Love.

Doubt it. LeBron is the two-time champion and two-time Finals MVP. He's proven to the media and the public he can win titles...why would he get the blame if he and his new teammates can't?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#62 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:49 pm

BBgun
Analyst
And1: 1,210

Post#63 » by BBgun » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Question the D sure, but I wouldn't classify him as injury prone. The thumb/hand issue from 2013 was just a freak accident that can happen to anybody. I wouldn't be too concerned on that front.

Anyways, he's just bitter Love was guaranteed out the door after this season and has made his displeasure regarding the ineptitude of Minny's front office known, which is fully justified considering some of the moves they have made since KL came into the league.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#64 » by mandurugo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:I remember reading glen taylor didn't want to give love the 5 year deal because he wanted to use it for either Ricky Rubio or Derrick Williams

This guy is saltier about Kevin love than skip bayless is about LeBron James

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Someone on RealGM may have made the claim, but the Timberwolves never said anything like that at the time or since.
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Post#65 » by Wolf_Cry » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Wolf_Cry wrote:
People crap on Taylor, but he's actually a pretty good owner.

Based on what? All the success the Wolves have had?

Just because the Wolves hasn't had a lot of success doesn't mean he is a crappy owner. Taylor has opened his pocket book numerous times and taken many gambles to try and lift this franchise out of the dump that it's in. At least he isn't a penny pinching cheapskate. My grievance with Taylor is that he is too loyal to his GM and gives them far too many chances when they screw up.
joeyAdaMan
Analyst
And1: 2,145

Post#66 » by joeyAdaMan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:23 pm

loserX wrote:
Sofa King wrote:If Kevin Love doesn't help the CAVs win the chip, I think the blame from everyone and the media will go directly to Lebron than to Love.

Doubt it. LeBron is the two-time champion and two-time Finals MVP. He's proven to the media and the public he can win titles...why would he get the blame if he and his new teammates can't?

Because, for whatever reason the media just has a field day when a marquee talent fails or is involved in some form or controversy. Unfortunately, there is a good portion of America, and more importantly the American MEDIA, that just can't wait for Lebron to slip up. I hope you are right. But, I have a feeling that if this Cavs super team doesn't win rings, Lebron will get most of the blame whether it's deserved or not.
Volcano wrote:Kobe must the best at everything. He's faster than Westbrook and stronger than Dwight. He's taller than Yao Ming and shorter than Earl Boykins. Nothing you say is going to change their minds.
joeyAdaMan
Analyst
And1: 2,145

Post#67 » by joeyAdaMan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Wolf_Cry wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Wolf_Cry wrote:
People crap on Taylor, but he's actually a pretty good owner.

Based on what? All the success the Wolves have had?

Just because the Wolves hasn't had a lot of success doesn't mean he is a crappy owner. Taylor has opened his pocket book numerous times and taken many gambles to try and lift this franchise out of the dump that it's in. At least he isn't a penny pinching cheapskate. My grievance with Taylor is that he is too loyal to his GM and gives them far too many chances when they screw up.

That's a pretty big grievance though, eh? I mean it's a huge part of the reason the Wolves organization has been seemingly stuck in neutral. And, it's probably the reason they have nothing to show for having not one, but TWO all time great PF's on their roster in the past two decades. I haven't heard much about your owner. So, I suppose in that sense he's not a terrible owner or a bad guy. But, based off of the lack of success despite pretty much always having a franchise player.(some owners/gms NEVER get a hold of talents like Garnett..let alone Garnett and THEN Love) I'd say he's not all that great of an owner. Or, at the very least he certainly hasn't done anything up to this point that would qualify him as a good owner.
Volcano wrote:Kobe must the best at everything. He's faster than Westbrook and stronger than Dwight. He's taller than Yao Ming and shorter than Earl Boykins. Nothing you say is going to change their minds.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#68 » by improper » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:41 pm

Wolf_Cry wrote:Just because the Wolves hasn't had a lot of success doesn't mean he is a crappy owner. Taylor has opened his pocket book numerous times and taken many gambles to try and lift this franchise out of the dump that it's in. At least he isn't a penny pinching cheapskate. My grievance with Taylor is that he is too loyal to his GM and gives them far too many chances when they screw up.

When you continually hire crappy people to run your business for you and they make crappy decisions that you don't realize are crappy until the entire thing has become an ungodly mess, at which point you fire them to hire someone just as crappy, you might be a crappy owner.

There's more to being a good owner than just spending money.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,487

Post#69 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:47 pm

Love responds:

http://www.fearthesword.com/2014/8/27/6 ... -minnesota

Kevin Love wrote:I think emotions are definitely running high right now, For Glen to say that, I just think that he should be focusing on the players that he just received. I mean, he has two of the No. 1 picks in the last two drafts: Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett. He has another guy who can really play in Thaddeus Young.

I think he got a lot for me. So I'd be focusing even more on that. More than anything, I'm just excited to start my time in Cleveland, get to work with my new teammates, and start with this new family here.

It's really funny. For anyone thinking Love couldn't possibly be THAT unlucky and that there HAD to be fire where smoke when considering him a malcontent, they need look no further than the relative maturity of him vs his owner.

Twice in a row now Minny has had huge talents slip through their fingers with people saying the star must deserve blame. Nope, it's on Taylor and the men he's hired.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,487

Post#70 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:49 pm

loserX wrote:

Realistically both will get blame.

Love because he hasn't won yet.

LeBron because he gets blame whenever he does anything less than perfect.

The sad thing is that the Cavs aren't any reasonable person's favorite to win the title next year, yet if and when they fall short of the title, people will still talk about it like it's a disappointment.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#71 » by NBAfan3024 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
loserX wrote:

Realistically both will get blame.

Love because he hasn't won yet.

LeBron because he gets blame whenever he does anything less than perfect.

The sad thing is that the Cavs aren't any reasonable person's favorite to win the title next year, yet if and when they fall short of the title, people will still talk about it like it's a disappointment.
I think if they don't win in year 2 it's a disappointment I would say. Spurs are favourites this year but next year is likely different
FerreroRocherrr
Pro Prospect
And1: 456

Post#72 » by FerreroRocherrr » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:56 pm

Jonny Flynn.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#73 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:34 am

He got his parting shot in, good for him now its over.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
carlquincy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,149

Post#74 » by carlquincy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:39 am

Wow... As salty as it gets.
NOD
Junior
And1: 584

Post#75 » by NOD » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:44 am

Embarrassingly unprofessional.

And Love's response hits the right notes.

Maybe Taylor should've learned a little something from his young former star.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#76 » by Little Digger » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:08 am

I still don't get what Taylor said wrong..Love quit on the wolves and TeamUSA..He's also a massive stat-padder (saves all his energy for boards and scoring) with questionable durability..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
NOD
Junior
And1: 584

Post#77 » by NOD » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:16 am

Little Digger wrote:I still don't get what Taylor said wrong..Love quit on the wolves and TeamUSA..He's also a massive stat-padder (saves all his energy for boards and scoring) with questionable durability..

1) it's unprofessional to bash a former employee w/o provocation (and no -- Kevin Love being upfront and giving them literally more than a year's notice of his intention to go elsewhere following their lack of interest in a 5-yr deal does not constitute 'provocation' in any universe)

2) they got a ridiculous amt of talent in return for Love. For that alone, the owner should just be thankful, wish him well, and STFU

3) Love has had one freakish injury, and, as mentioned above, has actually been quite healthy otherwise

4) The 'stat-padder' canard is an absurd one. He's incredibly efficient, and has been surrounded by nothing other than a PG who can't shoot.

All that being said, #1 is all that needs to be mentioned. Instead, he lowers the bar to the reaction of a spurned 15-year-old boy (much like Gilbert's letter), rather than what one should expect from someone in his position.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#78 » by NBAfan3024 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:24 am

quit on the wolves and team USA? stat padder? jesus talk about the great slams of foolish statements.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#79 » by taikibansei » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:42 am

magicfan4life05 wrote:The Wolves owner did this before with KG by making these negative statements:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3300421

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, a staunch supporter and friend of Garnett's during their 12 seasons together in Minnesota, leveled some rare criticism at his former star on Tuesday, suggesting Garnett "tanked it" when he missed the last five games last year.

"It was more like KG tanked it. I think the other guys still wanted to play. But it sure changed the team and didn't make us [as good]."

A thousand times this. Neither Taylor nor Kahn ever showed even the slightest ability to judge talent. Arguing that Garnett "tanked" is laughable in the extreme, but also part of their established pattern of attacking the departing star and praising the scrubs around him. Keep in mind that this brain trust also thought Milicic was going to be better than Love, seeing him as the second coming of both Vlade and Webber. Oh, and don't forget Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn were going to be the next Walt Frazier and Earl Monroe. (I've posted direct links to all these and other statements in my long post two days ago.) Now that Love's not around, I'm interested in seeing how they're going to handle the contract negotiations with Rubio--i.e., will the latter's demand for the max lead to similar treatment? (If things go smoothly, I'm thinking it will be a testament to Flip.)

Bottom line: Love should take any negative comments from this guy as a compliment.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#80 » by taikibansei » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:51 am

mandurugo wrote:
RSCD3_ wrote:I remember reading glen taylor didn't want to give love the 5 year deal because he wanted to use it for either Ricky Rubio or Derrick Williams

This guy is saltier about Kevin love than skip bayless is about LeBron James

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Someone on RealGM may have made the claim, but the Timberwolves never said anything like that at the time or since.

The four-year deal gives the Timberwolves some flexibility going forward and keeps that maximum offer available for point guard Ricky Rubio, No. 2 overall pick Derrick Williams or another player down the road.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7502324/kevin-love-minnesota-timberwolves-reach-four-year-deal-opt-out

Note that this is just one of several articles making this observation that came out at the time the contract was signed, all apparently based in part on comments by Taylor (who said at the time that Love was not a star) and Kahn (who said at the time that Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn were going to be the next Walt Frazier and Earl Monroe). I've posted links to the latter comments before. Let me know if you need them again as well.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!

Return to The General Board