Marc Gasol to stay or leave?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Destructor
Banned User
And1: 572

Marc Gasol to stay or leave? 

Post#1 » by Destructor » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:22 pm

Okay so it's no secret Gasol hasn't signed an extension yet, and there will be a few teams with cap space in the next FA to sign him. I haven't come across talk at all about his possible decision. What do you guys think he'll do? If anyone has any references to him talking about FA that'd be great too.

Personally, If I were him I'd find it hard to imagine a scenario where Memphis are contenders beyond next year unless they sign another all star. He'll have Conley and an ageing Randolph.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Re: Marc Gasol to stay or leave? 

Post#2 » by Rosque » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:24 pm

Lakers obviously. As well as Bledsoe, Monroe.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
il_knicks7
Banned User
And1: 804

Post#3 » by il_knicks7 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:25 pm

Destructor wrote:Okay so it's no secret Gasol hasn't signed an extension yet, and there will be a few teams with cap space in the next FA to sign him. I haven't come across talk at all about his possible decision. What do you guys think he'll do? If anyone has any references to him talking about FA that'd be great too.

Assuming the cap jump next season by $10M+, I see a reasonable chance of him being a Knick. The current Memphis core is pretty much done.
Destructor
Banned User
And1: 572

Post#4 » by Destructor » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:26 pm

il_knicks7 wrote:
Destructor wrote:Okay so it's no secret Gasol hasn't signed an extension yet, and there will be a few teams with cap space in the next FA to sign him. I haven't come across talk at all about his possible decision. What do you guys think he'll do? If anyone has any references to him talking about FA that'd be great too.

Assuming the cap jump next season by $10M+, I see a reasonable chance of him being a Knick. The current Memphis core is pretty much done.

I can see it happening if the Knicks have a good season (50 wins) but if they have a poor one or anything close to last year's I can't see it unless his other options are worse.
il_knicks7
Banned User

Post#5 » by il_knicks7 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:33 pm

Destructor wrote:I can see it happening if the Knicks have a good season (50 wins) but if they have a poor one or anything close to last year's I can't see it unless his other options are worse.

It will have to be a combination of him wanting to be in NYC (which i don't know), The Knicks being able to pay a close to max salary (probably), and a chance to win (a third allstar will most likely be needed).
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#6 » by QRich3 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:33 pm

lol I know everyone loves to think every player wants to go to their favorite team but Marc ain't going nowhere. He's played in Memphis since high school, he takes pride in the city and it's not in his character to change teams just for a chance at a better career. He's staying.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#7 » by jefe » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:38 pm

QRich3 wrote:lol I know everyone loves to think every player wants to go to their favorite team but Marc ain't going nowhere. He's played in Memphis since high school, he takes pride in the city and it's not in his character to change teams just for a chance at a better career. He's staying.

Bingo. The better question is who will Memphis bring in when Zbo's lower extension kicks in and frees up cap room for a significant addition to the Conley/Gasol combo.
KokoKaizer
Sixth Man
And1: 2,170

Post#8 » by KokoKaizer » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:39 pm

QRich3 wrote:lol I know everyone loves to think every player wants to go to their favorite team but Marc ain't going nowhere. He's played in Memphis since high school, he takes pride in the city and it's not in his character to change teams just for a chance at a better career. He's staying.

Never say never ! :wink: We have a full season of speculation !
KokoKaizer
Sixth Man
And1: 2,170

Post#9 » by KokoKaizer » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:41 pm

jefe wrote:Bingo. The better question is who will Memphis bring in when Zbo's lower extension kicks in and frees up cap room for a significant addition to the Conley/Gasol combo.

That will be interesting for sure! And with the New Cap (Improved BRI) that salary cap situation for Memphis could be special!
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,735

Post#10 » by naabzor » Tue Sep 9, 2014 1:09 pm

I think he likes to stay in memphis and with his brother gone to chicago there will be great chances of resigning him.
il_knicks7
Banned User

Post#11 » by il_knicks7 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 1:15 pm

Of course we do, particularly those of us who are fans of team not doing so great. Where would we be without hope?
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#12 » by Winsome Gerbil » Tue Sep 9, 2014 1:20 pm

He played in Memphis in high school? Was his brother taking care of him or what?
ferk
Starter
And1: 689

Post#13 » by ferk » Tue Sep 9, 2014 1:32 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:

He played in Memphis in high school? Was his brother taking care of him or what?

his parents lived here .. he went to Lausanne Collegiate School and won Mr Basketball his sr year . pretty sure his parents still live here .
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,382

Post#14 » by robbie84 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 1:43 pm

I'd say he'll stay with the Grizz but I do know the Celtics love him.

The Celtics will go hard at him and then Roy Hibbert.
They'll have enough cap room to go after Marc Gasol and another max guy because they can either move Wallace with a pick or two, or use the stretch provision.
If Rondo gets back to 100% this season then they still probably won't give him a max contract so they'll have a bit more room for that 3rd guy.
Celtics will stink this year..BUT...and a big IF Sullinger or Olynyk can turn into a 20/10 guy (more likely Sullinger) and Smart can get his head around the NBA game and three point line they'll have a very solid core to add pieces to.
My guess is they'll go for something like:

Rondo
Smart
Green (if he opts in for his last year)
Sullinger
Gasol/Hibbert

And then go after a small forward with cap room.
There's a chance Jarred Sullinger becomes a top 10 power forward or better this season- he's a very good rebounder, his back appears to be fixed and he's also lost 30 lbs this offseason so far. He's got ungodly strength too- Tim Duncan mentioned after a game last year that Sullinger was like a dumptruck backing him down inside and couldn't believe how strong he was for a second year player. (who missed half of his first season after back surgery).
People forget he was being told to chuck up long threes to develop his shot and more importantly he was playing out of position vs NBA centers night in and night out.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#15 » by Tetlak » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:05 pm

robbie84 wrote:I'd say he'll stay with the Grizz but I do know the Celtics love him.

The Celtics will go hard at him and then Roy Hibbert.
They'll have enough cap room to go after Marc Gasol and another max guy because they can either move Wallace with a pick or two, or use the stretch provision.
If Rondo gets back to 100% this season then they still probably won't give him a max contract so they'll have a bit more room for that 3rd guy.
Celtics will stink this year..BUT...and a big IF Sullinger or Olynyk can turn into a 20/10 guy (more likely Sullinger) and Smart can get his head around the NBA game and three point line they'll have a very solid core to add pieces to.
My guess is they'll go for something like:

Rondo
Smart
Green (if he opts in for his last year)
Sullinger
Gasol/Hibbert

And then go after a small forward with cap room.
There's a chance Jarred Sullinger becomes a top 10 power forward or better this season- he's a very good rebounder, his back appears to be fixed and he's also lost 30 lbs this offseason so far. He's got ungodly strength too- Tim Duncan mentioned after a game last year that Sullinger was like a dumptruck backing him down inside and couldn't believe how strong he was for a second year player. (who missed half of his first season after back surgery).
People forget he was being told to chuck up long threes to develop his shot and more importantly he was playing out of position vs NBA centers night in and night out.

That team is worse than Memphis.

Im guessing he stays.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#16 » by QRich3 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:05 pm

il_knicks7 wrote:

Of course we do, particularly those of us who are fans of team not doing so great. Where would we be without hope?

Nothing wrong with fantasizing, but if you're gonna do it publicly on a forum and you expect to discuss it with other people, it's more productive to do it in a realistic way. I'd love it if Paul George demanded a trade to my team and they got him for Jamal Crawford and a pick, but I know the chances of it happening are next to zero, so I'd rather discuss half-realistic scenarios like getting Jeff effing Green instead :(
il_knicks7
Banned User

Post#17 » by il_knicks7 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:09 pm

QRich3 wrote:Nothing wrong with fantasizing, but if you're gonna do it publicly on a forum and you expect to discuss it with other people, it's more productive to do it in a realistic way. I'd love it if Paul George demanded a trade to my team and they got him for Jamal Crawford and a pick, but I know the chances of it happening are next to zero, so I'd rather discuss half-realistic scenarios like getting Jeff effing Green instead :(

We're not talking about some far-fetched trade, we're talking about free agency and it's not like I think he's going to Charlotte. There's a non-trivial chance for every major FA to come to NYC if the Knicks have the capspace.

The possibility exists. It may not be very probable, but definitely possible.
SKR
Bench Warmer
And1: 731

Post#18 » by SKR » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:20 pm

Really hope he stays in Memphis for the long haul.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#19 » by Tetlak » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:24 pm

il_knicks7 wrote:
QRich3 wrote:Nothing wrong with fantasizing, but if you're gonna do it publicly on a forum and you expect to discuss it with other people, it's more productive to do it in a realistic way. I'd love it if Paul George demanded a trade to my team and they got him for Jamal Crawford and a pick, but I know the chances of it happening are next to zero, so I'd rather discuss half-realistic scenarios like getting Jeff effing Green instead :(

We're not talking about some far-fetched trade, we're talking about free agency and it's not like I think he's going to Charlotte. There's a non-trivial chance for every major FA to come to NYC if the Knicks have the capspace.

The possibility exists. It may not be very probable, but definitely possible.

Sure, New York is an appealing city. However, everything else involving playing for the Knicks should scare people away. Marc is definitely not a New York guy. A city that will turn on you for less than Judas, **** weather, a history of being futile on the court, no assets, and an aging star who makes a (Please Use More Appropriate Word) amount of money. People dont go to the Yankees anymore because theyre the Yankees. They go because the Yankees pay the most money. Well guess what, there is a salary cap in the NBA. Sorry, nobody is going to a **** situation for less money than they can get at home.
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#20 » by Vides990 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:25 pm

robbie84 wrote:There's a chance Jarred Sullinger becomes a top 10 power forward or better this season.

No there isn't.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.

Return to The General Board