If Ainge doesnt trade Rajon Rondo, is his job on the line?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,059

Re: If Ainge doesnt trade Rajon Rondo, is his job on the lin 

Post#21 » by London2Boston » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:56 pm

Choker wrote:
SichtingLives wrote:That could partially explain why you're a GM on the internet and not irl.

I was actually offered, but denied, the position as the Suns GM, but the owner decided I didn't put enough focus on point guards.

Rondo was terrible for the Celtics last year by almost every statistical measure. He made them worse on offense, and he thinks he's worth a good chunk of his team's salary cap. And you want to keep him?

Yeah, let's judge a guy who had just returned from an ACL injury....Guards always light it up when they come back from that straight away.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#22 » by Kabookalu » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:02 pm

SichtingLives wrote:Rondo put up bad numbers in his 30 game rehab stint? Oh heavens be!! That's probably the best random 5.9% stretch of his career to judge his future contract negotiations by and I'm sure him playing this year at 100% for the first time in 20 months won't severely outweigh those meaningless rehab appearances at the tail end of a tank season in anybody's eyes. (pardon me.....green font)

He's going to be coming into the season 100% after an ACL injury?

London2Boston wrote:Yeah, let's judge a guy who had just returned from an ACL injury....Guards always light it up when they come back from that straight away.

He sure was lighting it up even before then.
Read on Twitter
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#23 » by SichtingLives » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Choker wrote:
SichtingLives wrote:Rondo put up bad numbers in his 30 game rehab stint? Oh heavens be!! That's probably the best random 5.9% stretch of his career to judge his future contract negotiations by and I'm sure him playing this year at 100% for the first time in 20 months won't severely outweigh those meaningless rehab appearances at the tail end of a tank season in anybody's eyes. (pardon me.....green font)

He's going to be coming into the season 100% after an ACL injury?

London2Boston wrote:Yeah, let's judge a guy who had just returned from an ACL injury....Guards always light it up when they come back from that straight away.

He sure was lighting it up even before then.

Are you from the special school or something? Get at me when you're coherent...
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
SichtingLives
RealGM

Post#24 » by SichtingLives » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:03 pm

internet trolling is so cool.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#25 » by Kabookalu » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:05 pm

SichtingLives wrote:internet trolling is so cool.

So is accusing someone of being special to get out of an argument, but I ain't mad 8-)

Read on Twitter
SichtingLives
RealGM

Post#26 » by SichtingLives » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:10 pm

what are you talking about? I didn't use green font, I was simply stating that it is cool. 8-)
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#27 » by Kabookalu » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:11 pm

SichtingLives wrote:what are you talking about? I didn't use green font, I was simply stating that it is cool. 8-)

Uhh me too.

Read on Twitter
SichtingLives
RealGM

Post#28 » by SichtingLives » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:12 pm

i like where this is going.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,322

Post#29 » by Froob » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Not even worth talking about, Ainge isn't going anywhere. Him, Stevens, and the ownerships are 100% on the same page. They know it could be a long rebuild and they're very confident in Ainge's craft.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
RaptorNews
RealGM
And1: 23,156

Post#30 » by RaptorNews » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:08 pm

flash22 wrote:You don't trade an asset when it's value is at it's lowest.

Rondos value will be it's lowest after whatever his ludicrous extension will be
RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,484

Post#31 » by RondoToKG » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:39 pm

Choker wrote:
SichtingLives wrote:That could partially explain why you're a GM on the internet and not irl.

I was actually offered, but denied, the position as the Suns GM, but the owner decided I didn't put enough focus on point guards.

Rondo was terrible for the Celtics last year by almost every statistical measure. He made them worse on offense, and he thinks he's worth a good chunk of his team's salary cap. And you want to keep him?

He had pain throughout parts of last season and had his minutes and body watched closely.

Was he supposed to have an insane recovery back to himself within a single season? I thought he was looking better as the season went on too.
OBisHalJordan
Rookie
And1: 892

Post#32 » by OBisHalJordan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:03 am

Rondo's going to silence a lot of doubters this year.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,402

Post#33 » by Infinite Llamas » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:22 am

Ainge has long said he wouldn’t repeat the mistakes of the past Celtics (not trading Bird or McHale), Ainge broke a lot of hearts trading away Pierce and KG, but it was for the best of the team. I don’t quite think that Rondo fits into the same equation, as he’s still in his prime, and still has a handful of good years left. Ainge hates losing trades though, and I really can’t see many trades out there where he would win one. I hope that we keep him and prove to him that this team is going in the right direction, and eventually package some of the picks for more established players. Rondo might have some flaws in his game, but he’s one of the top notch floor generals in the game.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#34 » by hands11 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:29 am

SichtingLives wrote:
Choker wrote:

Wrong. I was actually offered, but denied, the position as the Suns GM, but the owner decided I didn't put enough focus on point guards.

Rondo put up bad numbers in his 30 game rehab stint? Oh heavens be!! That's probably the best random 5.9% stretch of his career to judge his future contract negotiations by and I'm sure him playing this year at 100% for the first time in 20 months won't severely outweigh those meaningless rehab appearances at the tail end of a tank season in anybody's eyes. (pardon me.....green font)

btw you're making two claims you can't even begin to back up in contract and trade demands. You can search both ends of the internet and everything in between but all you're going to find from Rondo's mouth or anything in his camp are PC, company man positive words about remaining in Boston. Whether it's true or not is beside the point, you don't get to float shoddy conjecture as fact unless you can actually prove it's fact. And you can't.

Great summary of the situation.

I expected Rondo to remain unless a great deal comes along. If not, he will show he is a valuable player when the season starts.

Right now he is worth more to BOS then some crumbs because of his vet experience and how he can run the team making role players better in their roles. And that raises their value in trades if needed. Plus having him there for at least some time with Smart is really important.

My expectations are that Rondo bounces back to form and be a top ranked PG who will makes that team better then the sum of its parts.

BOS is set up to be one of those sleeper teams that does better then most expected.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#35 » by Kings2013 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:30 am

I don't think Ainge can get value for him now. Rondo hasn't returned to level since coming from injury or shown he can play 82 games, one year left on contract, rumors of him wanting the max etc., etc. The only thing Ainge can do is let him return to value now
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#36 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:32 am

No, he should trade him but he cant just give him away he has to wait on the proper return.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
shawn unkempt
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,999

Post#37 » by shawn unkempt » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:35 am

sonictecture wrote:
Hoopstar23 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Danny Wings should have a job for life with the Celtics, for what he pulled off after (losing) the 2007 lottery.

Didnt we hear the same with Joe Dumars and look how that turn out.....

Funny that you mentioned Dumars, in that was the first name that popped into my head after reading the thread title. I don't think Ainge has entered into Dumars decision making territory yet, but I also don't think he's performed any miracles since getting Garnett and Allen in a Boston uniform.

Getting 3 first round picks (as well as the right to swap in '17) for KG and Pierce at that stage of their career wasn't a miracle?
Boston34Celtics
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#38 » by Boston34Celtics » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:38 am

As a Celtics fan, do I want to risk losing Rondo next summer without getting anything in return? Of course not.

But DA's job is certainly safe. There aren't many GMs I would rather have in this situation. Ainge is one of the best talent scouts in the NBA, his track record speaks for itself, and he is terrific at stockpiling assets. I also like that he is willing to swing for the fences.

Ainge is one of the top GMs in the league, he's not going anywhere any time soon regardless of what happens with Rondo.
maoriboy
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#39 » by maoriboy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:09 am

sonictecture wrote:
Hoopstar23 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Danny Wings should have a job for life with the Celtics, for what he pulled off after (losing) the 2007 lottery.

Didnt we hear the same with Joe Dumars and look how that turn out.....

Funny that you mentioned Dumars, in that was the first name that popped into my head after reading the thread title. I don't think Ainge has entered into Dumars decision making territory yet, but I also don't think he's performed any miracles since getting Garnett and Allen in a Boston uniform.

:lol: really, you haven't been paying close enough attention to Boston to be making that statement.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#40 » by 165bows » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:16 am

Froob wrote:Not even worth talking about, Ainge isn't going anywhere. Him, Stevens, and the ownerships are 100% on the same page. They know it could be a long rebuild and they're very confident in Ainge's craft.

Yeah this. Pretty much you don't let a GM make a $20M+ investment in a coach for a half a decade or more if you don't plan on keeping the GM in place for awhile.

How and when the team turns around is still up in the air but that part really isn't.

Return to The General Board