Tyson Chandler Displeased With Phil Jackson.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Re: Tyson Chandler Displeased With Phil Jackson. 

Post#41 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:48 am

AussieBuck wrote:I'm always fixated on Bargs in that gif but when you look beyond his shadow puppet display there is one guy defending the ball well by himself and 4 guys open for shots. :lol:
lol look at melo just watching :lol:
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Post#42 » by NCHeels2008 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:52 am

JWizmentality wrote:Phil was very vague in his comments...Tyson being salty for no reason for comments that might not even have been directed at him.

this, unless there was something more direct I get the feeling his comments were directed at felton
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#43 » by 83SixersRocked » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:30 am

Boarder Patrol wrote:Tyson needs to stop talking until he shows something on the court. Last year he looked nothing short of done after the leg injury. Wasn't even a good defender. His effort, even on a team with Felton/JR/Bargs (pains me to type all these names), was among the worst on the team. It wasn't like prior years where he was 'cleaning up' others' mistakes, he was just terrible.

He's not allowed to talk because he broke his leg? He can say whatever he wants to. His remaining upside has nothing to do with it.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#44 » by NYKAL » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:25 am

Going back to his 1st year with NY, Tyson showed a penchant for complaining to the press instead of keeping things in-house. Say what you think but, its cowardly. You got an issue, go talk it out, don't do it through 3rd parties.

Too many times (even before the leg injury) Tyson would just take days off. You'd see times when he wouldn't even jump for a rebound,....just stood under the basket looking. Sometimes he wouldn't even have his hands up and his love of pushing guys in the back of putting his hands on players getting a stupid four for no logical reason still boggles my mind. Dude definitely wasn't worth his contract imo.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#45 » by omerome » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:55 am

83SixersRocked wrote:
Boarder Patrol wrote:Tyson needs to stop talking until he shows something on the court. Last year he looked nothing short of done after the leg injury. Wasn't even a good defender. His effort, even on a team with Felton/JR/Bargs (pains me to type all these names), was among the worst on the team. It wasn't like prior years where he was 'cleaning up' others' mistakes, he was just terrible.

He's not allowed to talk because he broke his leg? He can say whatever he wants to. His remaining upside has nothing to do with it.

Tyson is allowed to talk, but others are allowed to criticize him for his remarks. Like the saying goes, "all talk no action". That was the theme of Tyson for the past two seasons. From complaining to the refs when he never fouls a player, to complaining about effort from teammates, to this...what has he done to justify anything?

When the Knicks needed him, he was injured, sick, or playing with lackluster effort. You can't be a good leader if you can't hold yourself accountable.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#46 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:23 pm

studcrackers wrote:phil's always been a petty piece of sh*t who's not afraid to take pot shots, hearing that from him comes as no surprise

Pretty much this. The guy has wrote tell all books about every player and team he has coached. Personally I think he is the most over rated coaches of all time, who has only coached great teams - I always wanted to see what he could do coaching a bottom feeder team.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#47 » by matt6715 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Chandler will come out motivated, not only because of a contract year, but also because he'll be playing for a first-rate organization again. I just laugh at Knick fans who still think they won that trade...
omerome
RealGM

Post#48 » by omerome » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:27 pm

matt6715 wrote:Chandler will come out motivated, not only because of a contract year, but also because he'll be playing for a first-rate organization again. I just laugh at Knick fans who still think they won that trade...

He shouldn't of left that first-rate organization, then. Or, Dallas should of not let him leave that first-rate organization in the first place.

It's not about winning the trade, it was about changing the chemistry. Felton in particular was not working out for the Knicks and Tyson's remarks and actions showed he wasn't emotionally invested in the Knicks organization anymore, so it was beneficial for all parties.
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#49 » by Cycklops » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Slava wrote:I'd take that as a compliment to be dealt from the Knicks. It means you're the only piece of value that can be used to dump an abomination like Felton.

Yeah but it could be worse, they could've had Jeremy Lin the last year or two electrifying the fanbase then becoming a massive trade piece as a 15-mill expiring contract.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#50 » by Imon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:21 pm

omerome wrote:He shouldn't of left that first-rate organization, then. Or, Dallas should of not let him leave that first-rate organization in the first place.

It's not about winning the trade, it was about changing the chemistry. Felton in particular was not working out for the Knicks and Tyson's remarks and actions showed he wasn't emotionally invested in the Knicks organization anymore, so it was beneficial for all parties.

Cuban was only offering 1-year contracts after the 2011 season.
He wanted cap space to sign a potential max free agent in the offseason. Dirk was 32 and would be entering his twilight years soon and the Mavs wanted a younger star to pass the baton to.
They struck out with Deron (thankfully - Cuban didn't even go to the meeting) and they missed with Dwight so this is what they're left with. I still agree with what the organization did. The Mavs had a bad three years after the championship season but if they had kept the team together it would probably have been like the Celtics post-2008.

Tyson wanted to get paid. He wanted one final big multi-year contract and I can't begrudge him for that. Everyone came out smelling like roses after that championship. I mean, Barea got a 4-year $18 million contract (which is hilarious) now the Wolves can't wait to get him off their team.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Post#51 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:30 pm

I just took from his comments that he's a proud man. Nothing wrong with that imo.

It is interesting to see how much hate there seems to be from Knicks fans for Chandler. I really didn't follow Chandler with the Knicks so I won't dispute this idea that he was part of the problem. All I know is he was part of the solution the first time we had him and that his reputation in New Orleans was top-notch as was his rep on the National Team. Of course none of that means he didn't have issues in NY. If I was guessing, I'd say there were guys in that locker room who weren't too bothered by the losing and that Tyson took issue with it. And with Kidd gone, there was an even further leadership void especially with Melo's FA looming and a lame-duck coach. Hard for me to imagine all this is on Tyson.

But admittedly Tyson has a special place in most Mavs' fans hearts because of what he meant to our only championship team. So I guess everyone is happy. Im the only Mavs fan who appreciated Calderon and no Knicks fans appreciated Tyson so win-win.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#52 » by Imon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Spoiler:
Chuck Texas wrote:I just took from his comments that he's a proud man. Nothing wrong with that imo.

It is interesting to see how much hate there seems to be from Knicks fans for Chandler. I really didn't follow Chandler with the Knicks so I won't dispute this idea that he was part of the problem. All I know is he was part of the solution the first time we had him and that his reputation in New Orleans was top-notch as was his rep on the National Team. Of course none of that means he didn't have issues in NY. If I was guessing, I'd say there were guys in that locker room who weren't too bothered by the losing and that Tyson took issue with it. And with Kidd gone, there was an even further leadership void especially with Melo's FA looming and a lame-duck coach. Hard for me to imagine all this is on Tyson.

But admittedly Tyson has a special place in most Mavs' fans hearts because of what he meant to our only championship team. So I guess everyone is happy. Im the only Mavs fan who appreciated Calderon and no Knicks fans appreciated Tyson so win-win.

I appreciated Calderon when he was on the team.
I can't ever remember being that negative about him. He does have defensive deficiencies but his 3-point marksmanship is next-level.
This is part of the reason I was hoping really hard on the Mavs forum that the Mavs would get Parsons instead of Ariza or Deng because with Calderon gone the Mavs lost their best floor-spacer.
omerome
RealGM

Post#53 » by omerome » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:26 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:I just took from his comments that he's a proud man. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Don't get me wrong. Tyson was not the problem, he was a part of a series of issues the team had. Woodson was not doing a good job holding players accountable like with JR, who was doing whatever he wanted last year, nor was he providing them with a proper gameplan to win games. I'm sure Tyson was frustrated with the lack of defense and focus the team had at times, but guess what, the trade to Dallas brought Felton along with him, and we all know Felton was a part of the problem last season, too.

Tyson had a great year when he won DPOY, but what really rubbed me the wrong way was when the Knicks played Indiana in the playoffs and how badly Hibbert dominated him. Not once did he accept responsibility about that, instead, he blamed his teammates on the defeat. That's not what a leader does. I appreciate that Tyson brings defensive principles, but there were times when he would play with lackluster effort and then you combine it with him being unable to stay on the floor, it was just frustrating to go through.

Tyson going back to Dallas helps everyone. It gives him a fresh start, and changes both teams' dynamic. If he mentally checked out of NY, bringing him back wouldn't do much good. I'm sure he'll be movitated to "prove" he can still play at a high level, but what frustrates many is, he shouldn't need to prove anything. He should play at a high level every night. If you have a problem with how the team is playing, hold a team meeting and keep those issues in-house. Instead of talking to the media, which he did.
bodinho78
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#54 » by bodinho78 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:45 pm

Imon wrote:
Spoiler:

I appreciated Calderon when he was on the team.
I can't ever remember being that negative about him. He does have defensive deficiencies but his 3-point marksmanship is next-level.
This is part of the reason I was hoping really hard on the Mavs forum that the Mavs would get Parsons instead of Ariza or Deng because with Calderon gone the Mavs lost their best floor-spacer.

honestly I don´t know how you can appreciate Calderon...this Dude was such a liability on Defense in the Playoffs that he became nearly unplayable. Normaly your Starter Minutes goes up when it´s PO time, Calderon dropped to 27 despite his 3point shooting. Defense is as important as Offense!
NiqtheAntiq
Senior
And1: 227

Post#55 » by NiqtheAntiq » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Knicks should have kept Lin, he played awesome with Chandler

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZJM334YF78[/youtube]
KDS91
RealGM
And1: 4,492

Post#56 » by KDS91 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Eh, Chandler's on a better team now. He'll get over it.

Sent from my LG-P769 using RealGM Forums mobile app
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#57 » by NYKAL » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:47 pm

NiqtheAntiq wrote:Knicks should have kept Lin, he played awesome with Chandler

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZJM334YF78[/youtube]

and they never should have traded Spree, never should have traded Rod, never shou....get over it man. :banghead:
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#58 » by 83SixersRocked » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:34 am

omerome wrote:
83SixersRocked wrote:

Tyson is allowed to talk, but others are allowed to criticize him for his remarks. Like the saying goes, "all talk no action". That was the theme of Tyson for the past two seasons. From complaining to the refs when he never fouls a player, to complaining about effort from teammates, to this...what has he done to justify anything?

When the Knicks needed him, he was injured, sick, or playing with lackluster effort. You can't be a good leader if you can't hold yourself accountable.

You've missed the point.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#59 » by Ignitowsky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:32 am

WiggOuts wrote:Chandlers game is predicated on helping others, that's what hes there for. When you look at the roster he had to work with I don't blame the guy at all. There were some notoriously BAD defender on that team. When your job is to help and you continuously see that that the guys your trying to help don't bother to do what theyre supposed to, of course youre gonna lose that will. And were talking about some of THE worst defenders in the game...Melo, Bargs, Amare, Felton...the collective effort of those guy is enough to drive even the most engaged help defenders to not care...ie. Tyson Chandler

Phil Jackson should shut his mouth, seems like he always has something to say...and it isn't usually good. People forget so easily that the year before Tyson was a HUGE part of their success.

People say he dogged it, I say he got fed up of doing on the hard work for a bunch of lazy bums

Phil Jackson has earned the right to say anything he wants any time he wants. His comments weren't necessarily directed at Chandler, but as someone who watched every Knicks game last season I'll assure you that there were entire nights that Chandler barely showed up, even after Jackson came on board. He bitched and moaned like a little girl about his teammates and his coach. His best move now would be to just shut his critics up with his play on the court.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall

Return to The General Board