Kobe Bryant: It's all over

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Re: Kobe Bryant: It's all over 

Post#41 » by JellosJigglin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:36 pm

digitaldropoff wrote:Ehh....I can see why people like this article, it's very off putting for me though. For me, it illustrates an older man pouting when he didn't win, forcing another contest just to show everyone how hard he is. It would have been much more impressive if he swallowed a portion of that massive pride he rocks around and say, "hey...you got me." I understand the sentiment of being the ultimate champion...never being satisfied...always having to win.

In the end, I thought it looked sad. He challenges some kids for fun....he loses, challenges again to show he's a tough guy vs teenagers....meh, stay classy.

You have to be a competitor to understand. Don't feel ashamed.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#42 » by Guy986 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:52 pm

digitaldropoff wrote:Ehh....I can see why people like this article, it's very off putting for me though. For me, it illustrates an older man pouting when he didn't win, forcing another contest just to show everyone how hard he is. It would have been much more impressive if he swallowed a portion of that massive pride he rocks around and say, "hey...you got me." I understand the sentiment of being the ultimate champion...never being satisfied...always having to win.

In the end, I thought it looked sad. He challenges some kids for fun....he loses, challenges again to show he's a tough guy vs teenagers....meh, stay classy.

Just about every NBA players would demand a rematch after being embarrassed by an amateur infront of a crowd. I dont understand what's so..... "competitive" about it.

The difference between most nba players and Kobe at this point is that they wouldn't lose to a random 17 yr old chinese guy. :wink:
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#43 » by LLcoleJ » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Guy986 wrote:
Just about every NBA players would demand a rematch after being embarrassed by an amateur infront of a crowd. I dont understand what's so..... "competitive" about it.

So you are not competitive?

And if that video that was posted was the video in question it was a pretty weak example of Kobe getting embarrassed.

It's not like he was dunked on our anything.

The difference between most nba players and Kobe at this point is that they wouldn't lose to a random 17 yr old chinese guy. :wink:

CLEVELAND -- Nike says it is returning videotapes it confiscated of NBA star LeBron James getting dunked on at a recent basketball camp...............

doh!
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Guy986
RealGM

Post#44 » by Guy986 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:16 am

No he didnt get dunked on. He was DEFEATED.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by LLcoleJ » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:20 am

Guy986 wrote:No he didnt get dunked on. He was DEFEATED.

He was?
Guy986
RealGM

Post#46 » by Guy986 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:21 am

There was only one problem with the narrative: Kobe lost. This is the part you don’t see on the viral videos. He thought he had the game in hand, with four points tallied in a game to five. Then the tallest of the Chinese kids, wearing a number 10 jersey, sank an impressive 17-foot fadeaway bank shot on Kobe to score his third point. After which number 10 proceeded to score on the other two kids while Kobe watched helplessly from the sidelines. Ballgame. Some random Chinese kid just beat Kobe in a one-on-one contest.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#47 » by NashtyNas » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:23 am

Rosque wrote:At least we'll get our pick back.

I'm praying to God, for the first and only time, that Kobe is healthy.
That'll make the Lakers good enough to give us the pick, but bad enough that we still get a great pick.
I hope you're wrong, and I hope Kobe is healthy enough to get them some wins. :D

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Post#48 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:24 am

Am I the only one who thinks this is what makes Kobe such a great athlete? He is a true competitor down to his very core, very much like Michael Jordan.
Go Raps!!
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by LLcoleJ » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:26 am

Guy986 wrote:
There was only one problem with the narrative: Kobe lost This is the part you don’t see on the viral videos. He thought he had the game in hand, with four points tallied in a game to five. Then the tallest of the Chinese kids, wearing a number 10 jersey, sank an impressive 17-foot fadeaway bank shot on Kobe to score his third point. After which number 10 proceeded to score on the other two kids while Kobe watched helplessly from the sidelines. Ballgame. Some random Chinese kid just beat Kobe in a one-on-one contest.

Read the parts you didn't highlight and then use some thinking.

Oh and another thing. It was a charity event :-?
narmerguy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Post#50 » by narmerguy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:43 am

I don't know why people are applauding Kobe for this like it was some kind of magical gift. It was him being competitive and not wanting to be embarrassed for having been beat.
Eduardo
Banned User
And1: 633

Post#51 » by Eduardo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:49 am

Next thing you know Kobe will shutout a cancer patient during a make a wish.

I think I just thought of the next sports article for The Onion.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by LLcoleJ » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:53 am

narmerguy wrote:I don't know why people are applauding Kobe for this like it was some kind of magical gift. It was him being competitive and not wanting to be embarrassed for having been beat.

That's actually not what's happening.
Eduardo
Banned User
And1: 633

Post#53 » by Eduardo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:57 am

JellosJigglin wrote:

You have to be a competitor to understand. Don't feel ashamed.

:lol: I think you are Kobe's internet white knight
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#54 » by Takingbaconback » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:04 am

Please unleash the 40 point in X straight games Kobe again.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#55 » by GreenBloodedC » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:31 am

I remember watching Kobe play HORSE with a fan. Damn, he was so competitive you'd thought the fan stole his lunch money back when they were in HS.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#56 » by Prospect Dong » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:49 am

jirojan wrote:
Shem wrote:
jirojan wrote:it was a nice article....but the o.p. clearly has an agenda

And what is that specifically?

his misquotings and misboldings along with his previous posts clearly indicate that he is on a anti-kobe crusade lol

I don't think either of those words means what you think they do.l There were no "misquotings" because the OP accurately quoted an entire section of the article, and no "misboldings" because there is no such thing as "misboldings". You might disagree with the OP's emphasis, but it certainly wasn't a misleadingly edited extract.

As for the game - doesn't tell us anything, really. Kobe was probably a little rusty, but even a healthy Devin Harris once got schooled by some English kid in a playground. It happens. And we can confirm that Kobe is still competitive to the point of being kind of an **** about it, but that's true of just about every great NBA player under 6'10". You don't build the career he's had without being a little bit crazy in how you're wired to succeed.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
bballcool34
General Manager
And1: 614

Post#57 » by bballcool34 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:52 am

Whole article was an awesome read, thanks OP
Damn
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#58 » by Arman_tanzarian » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:00 am

His fan really love stories like this. It'll be a sad day when he retires though.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#59 » by Volcano » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:03 am

Kind of sad..I think Kobe's career is essentially over with his age and ACL injury. I think he's gonna be a shell of a shell of a memory of a shadow of his former self. He was more enjoyable watch than a lot of today's all-stars.

At one point he blocked the kid’s shot out-of-bounds and, without pausing—and without regard for the rules—took possession himself.

wtf..so he randomly changes the rules to full-court and then cheats?
Rasheeed!!!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#60 » by Rasheeed!!! » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:12 am

Plot twist.....Asian kid was Jeremy Lin

Return to The General Board