Worse Feeling as A Fan:Sweep or Losing in 7

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Which is worse as a fan to experience, your team getting swept or losing a decisive game 7?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:14 am

Sweep
55%
Losing Game 7
45%

Total votes: 133

Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Re: Worse Feeling as A Fan:Sweep or Losing in 7 

Post#41 » by Hawk Eye » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:29 am

Short term pain = the sweep

Long term pain = losing in game 7

Never ending pain and forever thinking about it = losing to a buzzer beater shot in game 7
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#42 » by SactoKingsFan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:00 am

Getting swept is a short-term embarrassment, but losing in 7 can be much worse, especially after leading series 3-2.
Wolfy1983
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#43 » by Wolfy1983 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:38 am

Question:

That controversial foul call in the '88 Finals between the Lakers and Pistons involving Laimbeer... was that game 6 or 7?
Sig By: MettaWorldPanda
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#44 » by JimmyTD3 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:54 am

Losing in 7.

Basically any time it's close...it stings.

At least if you get blown out...oh well, you had no chance, get em next year
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#45 » by SactoKingsFan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:58 am

digg211 wrote:Question:

That controversial foul call in the '88 Finals between the Lakers and Pistons involving Laimbeer... was that game 6 or 7?

That was game 6 when Laimbeer fouled out guarding Kareem's skyhook.
SniperHawk10
Starter
And1: 156

Post#46 » by SniperHawk10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:15 am

Definitely losing in 7
You're all hyped up for a day or 2 getting ready for the deciding game, and end up losing

At least when you get swept, you're usually not expecting much from your team leading up to the game. Expectations have already gone down after losing 3 straight
Lakers + FC Barcelona | Support all Toronto teams
SniperHawk10
Starter
And1: 156

Post#47 » by SniperHawk10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:15 am

Lakers + FC Barcelona | Support all Toronto teams
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#48 » by East Bay Sports » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:18 am

fatlever wrote:depends on your expectations. if you are the bucks and you make to the playoffs as an 8th seed and take the cavs to 7 games in round 1, then you will feel great about your team. but if you are a team like the warriors who have been knocking in the door for a few years and you lose a game 7 you probably feel awful, worse than if you had been swept.

As a Warriors fan getting swept by the Clippers would feel a lot worse than what happened last season.

I will take the ups and downs of a 7 game series and hoping you have a chance over the prolonged hopelessness that is getting swept.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,878

Post#49 » by Hoopstar23 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:52 am

Froob wrote:Probably losing in 7, just being so close and losing blows. When C's lost to Heat in 5 it wasn't nearly as depressing as losing that game 7. Especially up 3-2 which seemed to be a trademark of the Doc Rivers era.

Lets not forget that Game 7 vs the Lakers in the '10 Finals :lol:
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#50 » by SlowPaced » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:12 am

Losing in 7. Not even close.
DieYoung
Junior
And1: 563

Post#51 » by DieYoung » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:53 am

Moose10Fan wrote:As a Pistons fan, losing to the Spurs in 7 in the NBA finals, I have to say losing in 7 is brutal, I think about that 4th quarter a lot.

Agreed.

As a Spurs fan, losing in seven to the '06 Mavs and the '13 Heat hurt more than any other series I've seen in my life. You forget about the sweeps soon after since you realize your team wasn't good enough in the first place. I rememer shrugging off the sweep to the Suns in 2010 and going right back to posting about the NBA a day later. I didn't even want to talk about basketball with anyone all summer after 2006 and 2013. Purged my mind completely of the NBA for a good couple weeks after those two series.
PerFex
Junior
And1: 347

Post#52 » by PerFex » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Easily, sweep. I remember when Mavericks sweep Lakers and fans boo their own team(especially Pau). Losing in 7 hurts, but you can be proud of your team because they was fighting.
Dmanning2
Senior
And1: 538

Post#53 » by Dmanning2 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:01 pm

Getting swept isn't that bad I usually don't recall the Spurs sweeping the Lakers is 2013 or the Mavs in 2011

It's still hurts to think about 2008 tho and that wasn't even 7 games...
ohio wrote:mudiay is a better player... so is Okafor... what the hell was LA thinking
snomeister
Starter
And1: 1,853

Post#54 » by snomeister » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:32 pm

Man, you guys are crazy! I would much rather lose in 7 than 4. Sure it hurts more at first, but in the longrun I'm going to look back more fondly in a close loss than a sweep.

I'm a diehard Raptors fan, and I know our franchise doesn't have much history or success, but we have experienced a lot of heartbreak. We've only been to the playoffs 6 times, but 4 of those 6 ended in the last seconds of a crucial game.

2002 we had Chris Childs throw up a bad shot instead of passing it to a wide open Dell Curry to tie it up in the elimination game because Childs thought we were down by 4. Vince Carter went down with a season ending injury but the team went on a terrific run to make the playoffs winning 12 of their last 14 games to surge into the playoffs and fought to the end against a tough opponent in the Ben Wallace Pistons.

2007 we lost in game 6 on a game winning alley oop attempt to Chris Bosh for an easy basket but the pass was intercepted by Richard Jefferson. Jose Calderon's lob was way too safe, if it had been quicker or higher we would have played game 7 at home. TJ Ford was a much better candidate to make that pass but he had been playing injured so the coach didn't trust him in crunch time, even though he was easily our best player that series despite ankle issues.

We lost last spring in game 7 on a series winning layup attempt by Kyle Lowry that was blocked by Paul Pierce. The play had many things go wrong. To start off, coach Dwane Casey drew up the play for the wrong side of the court to inbound, and with no more timeouts, the players had to quickly mirror the play in their heads in a matter of seconds. Terrence Ross should have darted for the corner, but instead he camped at the elbow which allowed his defender to double team Lowry (which Lowry quickly and remarkably broke through to get near the hoop) and Patrick Patterson rolled to the basket instead of camping on the perimeter which brought his defender (Paul Pierce) inside to make the block that ended our season.

And of course, you have 2001, when Vince Carter missed the shot that would have put us in the Eastern Conference Finals (one that was very winnable). Vince Carter got a lot of flak for going to his college graduation held on the same day as game 7 and then flying to Philadelphia to play after grabbing his diploma, rather than just preparing himself mentally for the game. It's also a bit disheartening when the player, who at the time was the best finisher at the hoop in the entire world, settles for a long two. The picture of that ball clanking off that rim is etched into every Raptors fan's mind.

I remember these moments vividly. They are strong memories, ones that are still picture perfect in my head. Sad ones, ones that linger... But I would much rather take those series over getting swept by the Knicks or being outmatched by the Magic. I have way better memories from the longer series. At least we won some games. At least we had some belief we could win. You know? Getting swept means no VC and AI exchanging 50 point games. Getting swept means no Jurassic Park with thousands of fans showing their support and pride for this team. Getting swept means I have no reason to cheer and no hope.

The only thing worse than getting swept is not making the playoffs. Yeah, it's bittersweet to lose game 7. But as a fan, I LIVE for game 7s. And eventually... When we finally reach higher goals... It's going to be so much sweeter. Anything's possible my friends.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#55 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:49 pm

digg211 wrote:I guess for many, Game 7 would be the obvious choice, but the positive thing is that you can say that your team came close to winning the series, it was a competitive series. You can't say such a thing for sweeps.

Sweep.

sweep means you didnt belong on the floor with the other team.

although it really doesnt matter. losing is losing.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#56 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:57 pm

Losing in seven means you had the joy and excitement of three wins. Losing in four means you never had any success or prideful moment and were just watching a pro forma execution. I'd rather see my team go down fighting than just die.
snomeister
Starter
And1: 1,853

Post#57 » by snomeister » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Also, what happens if the Spurs got swept in 2013? I doubt they would have won this year. Their loss was heartbreaking for sure, but not only did it make them stronger, it also made their victory that much sweeter.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,322

Post#58 » by Froob » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:04 pm

Hoopstar23 wrote:
Froob wrote:Probably losing in 7, just being so close and losing blows. When C's lost to Heat in 5 it wasn't nearly as depressing as losing that game 7. Especially up 3-2 which seemed to be a trademark of the Doc Rivers era.

Lets not forget that Game 7 vs the Lakers in the '10 Finals :lol:

As far as I know the 4th quarter was canceled.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#59 » by TheOGJabroni » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:21 pm

To me, if you get swept, you're probably lucky you got as far as you did and you just don't belong, You shouldn't have had really high expectations anyway. If you lose in a game 7 (to the Lakers in the championship), you drink until next season.
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,489

Post#60 » by JVL » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:30 pm

No matter the situation, getting swept is humiliating. At worst, losing in 7 hurts. At least you put up a fight and came close.

Pick your favourite for the 1st seed vs. 8th seed in Round 1:
1)
--> 1st seed loses in 7.
--> 1st seed loses in 4.
2)
--> 8th seed loses in 7.
--> 8th seed loses in 4.

In both situations i'd rather lose in 7. The 1st seed losing in 7 is humiliating, but not nearly as devastating as getting swept by the 8th seed. Vice versa, for the 8th seed it's not nearly as humiliating to lose in 4 against the 1st, but losing in 7 sounds like an achievement.

Return to The General Board