What does Klay Thompson do that Terrence Ross cant?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

PurpleTrees
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,045

Re: What does Klay Thompson do that Terrence Ross cant? 

Post#121 » by PurpleTrees » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:21 pm

DynastySS wrote:
PurpleTrees wrote:
Boomerfan wrote:LOL Terrence Ross is not worthy of cleaning Klay's boots at the moment :lol:

Ross averages 8.7 ppg on his career. Klay almost 17ppg
Klay Thompson made as many 3 pointers in 2014 alone as Terrence Ross has made in his entire career :lol:
Klay is probably the best 2 way player in the NBA right now.

It is seriously not even close.

Are you serious with this? You cant use raw volume statistics to compare a guy that came off the bench for half a season to a guy that Started and was the 2nd option.

Why doesn't Ross play more?

He started playing more when Rudy got traded. He was inserted into the starting lineup and put up 14/4 as the 4th option.
snomeister
Starter
And1: 1,853

Post#122 » by snomeister » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Boomerfan wrote:LOL Terrence Ross is not worthy of cleaning Klay's boots at the moment :lol:

Klay Thompson made as many 3 pointers in 2014 alone as Terrence Ross has made in his entire career :lol:

PerFex
Junior
And1: 347

Post#123 » by PerFex » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:53 pm

PurpleTrees wrote:Are you serious with this? You cant use raw volume statistics to compare a guy that came off the bench for half a season to a guy that Started and was the 2nd option.

So why you compre a bench player with player who plays in better team and he's one of the best player in team? :lol: And what happen Ross in playoffs?

Right now Ross isn't near Klay level. Maybe he will be this season, I don't know, but not now.
PurpleTrees
Bench Warmer

Post#124 » by PurpleTrees » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:02 pm

PerFex wrote:
PurpleTrees wrote:Are you serious with this? You cant use raw volume statistics to compare a guy that came off the bench for half a season to a guy that Started and was the 2nd option.

So why you compre a bench player with player who plays in better team and he's one of the best player in team? :lol: And what happen Ross in playoffs?

Right now Ross isn't near Klay level. Maybe he will be this season, I don't know, but not now.

I made the comparison because they have very similar skill sets. Ross isn't able to showcase his on as much volume as Klay because he has Derozan/Lowry ahead of him in the pecking order.
Willarmm
Senior
And1: 235

Post#125 » by Willarmm » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Klay doesn't have a chance to be in the same breath as Kawhi Leonard in terms of two way players let alone someone like Lebron. Try again though. Those finals MVP trophies might blind klay into another shooting slump if he isn't careful
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#126 » by reignfire » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Klay can play SG. He can somewhat create his own. Is an elite defender when guarding 1/2 position. Elite 3 point shooter.

Klay has alot of size at 2 position. Ross is undersized at 3.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#127 » by Kabookalu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:10 pm

reignfire wrote:Ross can play SG. He can somewhat create his own. Is an elite defender when guarding 1/2 position. Elite 3 point shooter.

If I switched out the names then the statement is just as true.
Read on Twitter
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#128 » by turk3d » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:12 pm

No Hops or athleticism and just an average defender. Right.

Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
PurpleTrees
Bench Warmer

Post#129 » by PurpleTrees » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:13 pm

reignfire wrote:Klay can play SG. He can somewhat create his own. Is an elite defender when guarding 1/2 position. Elite 3 point shooter.

Klay has alot of size at 2 position. Ross is undersized at 3.

That shouldn't matter if he's a natural 2, he plays the 3 because Demar plays the 2. Ross is also an elite defender at the 1 & 2 spots but is not an elite shooter. I already mentioned that Klay is the better shooter in my original post.
rockersdash
Starter
And1: 3,762

Post#130 » by rockersdash » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:28 pm

naabzor wrote:
Hero wrote:
naabzor wrote:
Well Kawhi in all fairness pretty much outplay and shut down the best player in the world.

No he didn't. :crazy:
He did as good a job as anyone but hardly shut him down.

Yes he did. He won the MVP and played up to LBJ level. Lebron still got something because you know, he is Lebron you can't completely lock him down but anyway he prevents him to have a big impact in four games out of five.

LBJ had one of the most dominant finals performances since Shaq, Kawhi merely showed up in the last 3 games and took advantage of the open looks Pop's system offered. He shot 57% and 51% from 3 for God sakes. That is not shutting someone down LOL.
PurpleTrees
Bench Warmer

Post#131 » by PurpleTrees » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:36 pm

turk3d wrote:No Hops or athleticism and just an average defender. Right.

Do you really want me to post T-Ross Pictures to counter your argument?
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#132 » by Kabookalu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:38 pm

PurpleTrees wrote:

Think he's just addressing the misconception of Klay possessing little athleticism.

Read on Twitter
PurpleTrees
Bench Warmer

Post#133 » by PurpleTrees » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Choker wrote:
PurpleTrees wrote:

Think he's just addressing the misconception of Klay possessing little athleticism.

Oh, makes sense. Klay's got decent athleticism and run and jump athleticism is overrated. He's quick enough laterally to stay in front of his man which is more important on the defensive end.
primecougar
Starter
And1: 928

Post#134 » by primecougar » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:44 pm

rockersdash wrote:
naabzor wrote:
Hero wrote:
No he didn't. :crazy:
He did as good a job as anyone but hardly shut him down.

Yes he did. He won the MVP and played up to LBJ level. Lebron still got something because you know, he is Lebron you can't completely lock him down but anyway he prevents him to have a big impact in four games out of five.

LBJ had one of the most dominant finals performances since Shaq, Kawhi merely showed up in the last 3 games and took advantage of the open looks Pop's system offered. He shot 57% and 51% from 3 for God sakes. That is not shutting someone down LOL.

did you not watch the video that was posted? lebron scored 36% of his points when the heat were getting blown out (15+ points). kawahi shot 61% and 57%. i swear bosh shot 55% and almost 40% from 3 but the great lbj couldnt make him plays. i swear if this was kobe, he wouldve been called a hog, selfish.
#1 pick wrote:MJ wasn't more skilled than Lebron. Quite the opposite to be honest.
timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Post#135 » by timlin500 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:44 pm

Choker wrote:
reignfire wrote:Ross can play SG. He can somewhat create his own. Is an elite defender when guarding 1/2 position. Elite 3 point shooter.

If I switched out the names then the statement is just as true.

Except Ross is not an elite 3 point shooter or an elite defender when guarding 1/2 position... He might be solid at both, but Klay is just much better at those 2 things now and has also shown that he's been able to do it consistently.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#136 » by Kabookalu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:47 pm

timlin500 wrote:Except Ross is not an elite 3 point shooter or an elite defender when guarding 1/2 position... He might be solid at both, but Klay is just much better at those 2 things now and has also shown that he's been able to do it consistently.

How is he not an elite 3 point shooter? Since the trade Ross made 2.29 three pointers a game on .402% shooting. Those numbers may not stack up to Klay's but don't disrespect the man like that. And no he is elite at guarding 1/2 position.

Read on Twitter
turk3d
RealGM

Post#137 » by turk3d » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Choker wrote:
PurpleTrees wrote:

Thank you. No one is claimingthat Ross is not a good athlete but it seems that many are suggesting Klay isn't. Just an illustration to show you that Klay has shown great improvement all around since coming into the league and continues to surprise (yes, I'll admit that when he first came in the league I had no idea that he was capable of becoming as good as it appears he has become).
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
primecougar
Starter
And1: 928

Post#138 » by primecougar » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:51 pm

raptors fan here: klay is obviously better right now but in terms of skill set, theres not much that separates the two players. klay is a slightly better shooter.

they both defend the 1-2 at an elite level. i know people dont watch ross a lot but he has shut down wall, paul george, wade, harden and other star players in the league.

the players have identical skill sets but they have some differences, klay is bigger and can post up smaller guards. ross is an elite athlete that can finish as well as anyone on the fastbreak.

we dont know how well ross will do if he had the same opportunities as klay, and if he got to play his natural position. ross might crumble if he has bigger responsibility, he seems like a fragile player that seems contend to be a role player while thompson is not.

i hope ross reliazes his potential because he can certainly be a star. i swear hes one of the more athletic players in the league. i think kd said something smilar to that.
#1 pick wrote:MJ wasn't more skilled than Lebron. Quite the opposite to be honest.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,752

Post#139 » by Jadoogar » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:52 pm

The reason Klay gets so overrated is because he's unbeleivably fun to watch. When he gets going, its super exciting and that shot is just so sexy. He's a good shooter, decent defender but defintiely overrated and not worth the max (let alone being worth Kevin Love).

That being said, c'mon Raptor fans. Ross has not shown much. Yes he can dunk, shoot (sometimes) and defend but he's crazy inconsistent. Let's wait before claiming he's the next coming. He could easily be the next Sonny Weems.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#140 » by turk3d » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Here's another one for some of y'all:

It's remarkable how much Klay has progressed since coming into the league. And please don't compare Ross 3 pt shooting to Klay's. Klay has made more 3s his first 3 years in the league than anyone in the history of the NBA.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1993 ... ee-seasons

According to CBS Sports’ Matt Moore, the lesser-appreciated Splash Brother became the first player in league history to make 500 three-point attempts over the course of his first three seasons.

Return to The General Board