Teams that will be a lot better than people think

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,666

Re: Teams that will be a lot better than people think 

Post#61 » by ChuckChilly » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:39 pm

Hawks
excision
Senior
And1: 233

Post#62 » by excision » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:11 am

irie wrote:
excision wrote:
irie wrote:If that poll replaced Houston with Phoenix, Memphis, or New Orleans you'd probably see pretty similar results. It's not that people think Houston will be bad, it's that they're just in that group where it's super competitive just to get into the playoffs.

There's no way that Memphis would get those type of poll results.

Probably true. But this board does tend to consistently underrate Memphis, in my opinion.

Yeah I agree with that
AkronsFinest91
Junior
And1: 200

Post#63 » by AkronsFinest91 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:59 am

Twolves are going to surprise alot of people this year.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#64 » by noobcake » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:03 am

irie wrote:
Br0ken_Sp0ke wrote:Based on RealGM's opinions, I'm going to say Houston

If that poll replaced Houston with Phoenix, Memphis, or New Orleans you'd probably see pretty similar results. It's not that people think Houston will be bad, it's that they're just in that group where it's super competitive just to get into the playoffs.

False, people hate the Rockets. People have Dwight and Harden. People hate Morey.

Vegas' #6 team, #4 in the West preseason apparently won't make the playoffs according to the majority of RealGM posters.
Rob Diaz
Analyst
And1: 5,390

Post#65 » by Rob Diaz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:04 am

It's nearly impossible for teams to be "better than people think" nowadays with social media and forums, as everybody hypes every team, tbh lol.

There are far more overrated teams than there are underrated teams, it's not even close.

The only team that qualifies is Houston IMO, as I haven't seen much positivity towards them here or in the media. Most people seem to believe that losing a slightly above average player like Parsons and a poor player like Lin would have a serious affect on them, which I disagreed with all off-season.

Also, most people hate Dwight and Harden(I find them to be very unlikable on the court, as well), which exacerbates their dislike and downplaying of the Rockets IMO.
Nikos Beard
Junior
And1: 380

Post#66 » by Nikos Beard » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:30 am

Charlotte. Most people have them as a tricky playoff team, a team that could make some noise in the first round. I actually think they could end up being the 3rd best team in the East. That team is really, really young. Kemba is 24, Lance is 24, MKG is 21, Zeller is 22, Vonleh is 19, Henderson is 27, and really the only meaningful player on their roster in his 30s is Al Jefferson, and he's just barely 30. All that youth from last year should have improved, you throw in a borderline all star player Lance, and you have a dangerous team. Also I think the re-branding, new image, change of culture is going to have a positive impact on that team. I think they might struggle out of the gate, but hit their stride as a 50 win team as the season progresses. I think they make the 2nd round and give one of Cleveland/Chicago some serious trouble in the 2nd round.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,089

Post#67 » by SlovenianDragon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:45 am

Rob Diaz wrote:It's nearly impossible for teams to be "better than people think" nowadays with social media and forums, as everybody hypes every team, tbh lol.

There are far more overrated teams than there are underrated teams, it's not even close.

The only team that qualifies is Houston IMO, as I haven't seen much positivity towards them here or in the media. Most people seem to believe that losing a slightly above average player like Parsons and a poor player like Lin would have a serious affect on them, which I disagreed with all off-season.

Also, most people hate Dwight and Harden(I find them to be very unlikable on the court, as well), which exacerbates their dislike and downplaying of the Rockets IMO.

I don't know why people keep mentioning just Lin and Parsons.....

Asik is a great player. They lost him because they didn't play him and he didn't want to play for them.

He signed with the rockets because they said he would be the starting center....Then they go after Dwight Howard because the Houston front office is insane.

If I was a FA I would NEVER go to the Rockets. That organization over the last few years has proven they don't give a **** about the players.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#68 » by Village Idiot » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:00 am

gmoney411 wrote:
irie wrote:
Br0ken_Sp0ke wrote:Based on RealGM's opinions, I'm going to say Houston

If that poll replaced Houston with Phoenix, Memphis, or New Orleans you'd probably see pretty similar results. It's not that people think Houston will be bad, it's that they're just in that group where it's super competitive just to get into the playoffs.

The Warriors and Blazers deserve to be grouped in there too then. The Rockets returned 4 starters and probably upgraded the 5th with Ariza and the Warriors and Blazers only brought in older backup PGs.
I will only address the Blazers but you seem to be forgetting Chris Kaman who will be the back-up center platooning with Robin Lopez which was a major weakness for Portland last year. Like the Warriors, the Blazers team defense improved as the year went on. Also, Portland has a very young team and performed well so there really was no big need for change. Continuity is highly underrated.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Rob Diaz
Analyst
And1: 5,390

Post#69 » by Rob Diaz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:55 am

SlovenianDragon wrote:
Rob Diaz wrote:It's nearly impossible for teams to be "better than people think" nowadays with social media and forums, as everybody hypes every team, tbh lol.

I don't know why people keep mentioning just Lin and Parsons.....

Asik is a great player. They lost him because they didn't play him and he didn't want to play for them.

He signed with the rockets because they said he would be the starting center....Then they go after Dwight Howard because the Houston front office is insane.

If I was a FA I would NEVER go to the Rockets. That organization over the last few years has proven they don't give a **** about the players.

I'm a big Asik fan, I didn't mention him because he missed like 40 games last year, and they still managed to get a good seed/have a good regular season showing, so I don't think losing him will make a significant difference to their season results.

Losing him hurts in regards to being a contender, but I don't put Houston on that level. I was simply referring to people ignoring them, seeding-wise.
EuroPacer
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#70 » by EuroPacer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:22 am

People expecting the Pacers to tank are going to be a bit surprised. I still think we can claim a play-off berth.

I also echo the Charlotte noise, they are going to be solid all year. Plenty of offense on that team and Lance and Kemba are going to be a very good tandem.
Vogel is Dutch for Bird.
Ettorefm
Head Coach
And1: 5,260

Post#71 » by Ettorefm » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:42 am

Knicks, for sure. I'd bet my balls that they won't be lower than 6th seed, and most people bet they won't even make the playoffs
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,716

Post#72 » by thinktank » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:07 am

AkronsFinest91 wrote:Twolves are going to surprise alot of people this year.

This guy gets it.

No, we probably won't make the playoffs.

But we'll compete and have a chance to finish just below .500.

(Everyone thinks we'll be in the bottom 5.)

We were 40 - 42 last year. Lost a ton of close games. We got Thad playing well as Love's replacement. And Bennett (also playing well) and Wiggins in addition to that. Mo Williams is much better than Barea. Plus Pek, Martin, Dieng, Rubio.

Not bad. The definition of "not bad".
"a poor addition to the board"
Laazard
Junior
And1: 139

Post#73 » by Laazard » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:24 am

Gooosh, Pelicans are so overrated. AD is so overrated. Right now he got the numbers that suggest that he's the most dominant player in the league. However, despite the blocks he's only a good defender and very good offensive players. The problem is, Pelicans need a PG who ca run the offense well because a big (if he isn't Hakeem or Shaq) is only a part of the offense not the centre of it (if you want to have a good offense of course).
gmoney411
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,821

Post#74 » by gmoney411 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:36 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:
irie wrote:If that poll replaced Houston with Phoenix, Memphis, or New Orleans you'd probably see pretty similar results. It's not that people think Houston will be bad, it's that they're just in that group where it's super competitive just to get into the playoffs.

The Warriors and Blazers deserve to be grouped in there too then. The Rockets returned 4 starters and probably upgraded the 5th with Ariza and the Warriors and Blazers only brought in older backup PGs.
I will only address the Blazers but you seem to be forgetting Chris Kaman who will be the back-up center platooning with Robin Lopez which was a major weakness for Portland last year. Like the Warriors, the Blazers team defense improved as the year went on. Also, Portland has a very young team and performed well so there really was no big need for change. Continuity is highly underrated.

The Rockets are just as young as the Blazers and last year was the first year in their starting lineup for 3 of the 5 starters. The Blazers returned 4 of their 5 starters from the previous year. The Rockets have just as much room to grow as a team as the Blazers do.

I agree that continuity is a big deal but people continually over look the Rockets bringing back 4 of their 5 starters. The Blazers improved greatly last year bringing in Lopez so I don't see why the Rockets can't do the same with Ariza.

Unless you think Lin and a sulking Asik were huge contributors for the Rockets there is no real reason to believe that they shouldn't perform at a similar level or improve. Their biggest weakeness last year was perimeter defense and Ariza is going to greatly improve that. They also added experience with Ariza and Terry and appear to have improved the huge hole at backup 3 with Kostas.

Return to The General Board