Is the Mavs' offense sustainable?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

ZB9
Sixth Man
And1: 696

Re: Is the Mavs' offense sustainable? 

Post#21 » by ZB9 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:38 pm

I don't think Dallas will sustain their current historic offensive rating, but they will probably remain the #1 offense all season.

Dirk is obviously still playing at a high level, and the roster compliments him perfectly.

The Mavs' offense is going to be very difficult to handle obviously. Not only can the Mavs shoot the lights out from the outside, but they lead the league in dunks.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#22 » by bran muffin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:58 pm

blackrook wrote:Don Nelson's offenses were gimmicky and focused on jumpshooting. They depended on having some of the best shooters in the history of the league... I don't think they're very comparable; the only similarity is three-point shooting, but every good offense in the league requires that.

I liken the current Mavs to the early 2000s version because both teams were imbalanced. They relied heavily on offense, while the defense became somewhat of an afterthought. The old Mavs teams had a hard time winning grind-it-out games, and the new Mavs will probably have the same problems. I feel like they can win games lot of games 113-79 but they won't win many games 83-79.

Some of this is because Dirk at age 36 has reverted back to the Dirk of the Don Nelson era. He's basically spending way more time camping in the 3-point line now and settling for jumpshots like he did in his early 20s. At 36 he just doesn't have the energy or quickness to consistently attack the basket anymore. During his peak from 2006-2011, Dirk was attempting only 2.2 three pointers PER36. The past 2 seasons he's attempting 4.8 three pointers PER36, which is similar to the way he played under Don Nelson.

Like the early 2000s Mavs, these Mavs should win a lot of regular season games and be very fun to watch. But come playoff time I have a hard time seeing them winning a 7-game series against a healthy OKC or even GSW.
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#23 » by jackwindham » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:31 pm

There's also a chance that the Mavericks offense can improve even more. They're still developing chemistry. Lots of new guys on board this year.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,730

Post#24 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:41 pm

bran muffin wrote:
Some of this is because Dirk at age 36 has reverted back to the Dirk of the Don Nelson era. He's basically spending way more time camping in the 3-point line now and settling for jumpshots like he did in his early 20s. At 36 he just doesn't have the energy or quickness to consistently attack the basket anymore. During his peak from 2006-2011, Dirk was attempting only 2.2 three pointers PER36. The past 2 seasons he's attempting 4.8 three pointers PER36, which is similar to the way he played under Don Nelson.

I think that's overblown. A ton of games have been blow outs and the offense has been flowing and so Dirk has just played his role in it. But when we have been in close games, you still see Dirk in the post and the team going to him possession after possession.

Obviously he can't be doing that for 35 minutes every night anymore, but he doesn't have to. But when the team needs it, he still is more than capable of putting the thing on his back for stretches. If Rick can keep his minutes this low, that gives me hope that last year's failure against the Spurs was more an aberration than anything.

Im not worried about Dirk or the offense at all. And in the 00s Nash could penetrate, but not finish. Monta, Devin, JJB can all finish as well as find others. We have bigs who are a factor in the paint as opposed to Bradley and his baseline jumper, or Rafe and his 3s. And Parsons attacks as much, if not more than Fin was-tho he's not the shooter. I mean I agree the team is too offense-centric and I want to see Aminu continue to get some minutes and I'd love to find a defensive 2 and another big man behind Tyson. But I don't think they are all that much like the Nellie Mavs.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,924

Post#25 » by Jasen777 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:45 pm

bran muffin wrote:Some of this is because Dirk at age 36 has reverted back to the Dirk of the Don Nelson era. He's basically spending way more time camping in the 3-point line now and settling for jumpshots like he did in his early 20s. At 36 he just doesn't have the energy or quickness to consistently attack the basket anymore. During his peak from 2006-2011, Dirk was attempting only 2.2 three pointers PER36. The past 2 seasons he's attempting 4.8 three pointers PER36, which is similar to the way he played under Don Nelson.

Shooting 49% on 3's is just terrible for efficiency :roll:

Dirk may not be getting to the basket as much, but Monta and others are, and Chandler and Wright are throwing down lobs like crazy. Dallas is 6th in the league in points in the paint (probably higher if pace adjusted). There's not much similarity to the Nellie era offense.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#26 » by bran muffin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Jasen777 wrote:Shooting 49% on 3's is just terrible for efficiency :roll:

Who said Dirk was inefficient? :crazy:

I said Dirk has been relying more on 3's now like he was doing during the Don Nelson era, which is factually true. Don't read into things arguments that aren't there.
ZB9
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by ZB9 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Like I said, this Mavs team is leading the league in dunks.

The Nellie era Mavs teams were always among the bottom of the league when it came to dunks and PITP.

Dallas can still shoot the lights out, like the Nellie Mavs could, but this Mavs team can beat you many different ways.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#28 » by Imon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:18 pm

I think the Mavs offense will end up being very good but probably not historic.

The points in the paint and dunk production is almost exclusively because of Tyson and Wright. Tyson is tied for 1st with DeAndre as the dunks leader and Wright is 5th. Space is available for these guys thanks to Dirk and Parsons spacing the floor and when you have quick guards who can turn the corner fast on the PnR like Monta, Harris, and Barea then you have lots of opportunity for lobs.
ZB9
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by ZB9 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Imon wrote:
The points in the paint and dunk production is almost exclusively because of Tyson and Wright.

Chandler Parsons and Monta Ellis will throw down a few also, but yes, it's mainly because of those two players. Dallas has never had post players as athletic as those two. It adds an element that Mavs opponents haven't really had to account for much in the past. For most of the Dirk era, Dallas has had centers that cant even catch the ball.

Dallas also has guards that are extremely good at attacking the paint. Ellis and Devin Harris are both among the best in the league when it comes to penetrating. When you have those two on the floor at once, with Chandler/Wright in the middle and Dirk and Parsons spacing the floor, it's very hard for defenses.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#30 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:06 am

I think it can be sustained in the regular season, but in the PO it's a different story
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to The General Board