Puerto Rico VS Jamaica

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ValHoffa
Junior
And1: 343

Puerto Rico VS Jamaica 

Post#1 » by ValHoffa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:51 pm

I noticed last night that Jamaica was playing Puerto Rico last night. I caught a couple of minutes of it but i noticed no noticeable players. This game must have been a friendly match right?
Why would they play a game like this when nba & nbadl players play for both teams?

C) JONAS VALANCIUNAS/steven adams/mitch mcgrary
F) KYLE OQUINN tyler hansbrough/anthony bennett
F) DEMAR DEROZAN/rodney hood/pj tucker
G) VICTOR OLADIPO/josh richardson/norman powell
G) KYLE LOWRY/jordan clarkson/jamal murray/elfrid payton
Cavs1017
Banned User
And1: 503

Re: Puerto Rico VS Jamaica 

Post#2 » by Cavs1017 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:03 pm

don't know but they do the same thing in soccer.

better question is, why does PR have it's own national team?
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#3 » by irie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:13 pm

Cavs1017 wrote:don't know but they do the same thing in soccer.

For the same reason any country has its own national team.

OP, yes, it was a friendly.
♣|☸
Cavs1017
Banned User

Post#4 » by Cavs1017 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:21 pm

irie wrote:

Puerto Rico isn't a country bro.

There's a reason all Puerto Ricans are US citizens, it's an unincorporated territory of the United States
almatic
Veteran
And1: 1,713

Post#5 » by almatic » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:46 pm

In soccer though, all the other competitions take international-play breaks.

And if you can mention soccer, you should probably know there's a handful of common-wealth's & sovereignties that have their own team in sports, Puerto Rico should be way less surprising than some of those.
Heck, the U.S. Virgin Islands have their own team. The Cayman Islands are a British territory, yet have they're own soccer team, that plays in CONCACAF (North American/Carribean soccer conference).
Wales, Scotland & England are countries, yet form as Great Britain in Olympic play. (And basketball. Actually I think it may be only FIFA, Rugby & Cricket where they're separate)

There's so many different circumstances & situations concerning nationalism, colonization, etc. that its almost pointless to question why places like Puerto Rico have their own team.
PR deserve their own team anyway, it's not like their one of the 50 "United States", and their first language is Spanish, etc etc. And they have some wins over USA basketball as well!
They're a decent basketball program even internationally anyway, it'd be a shame if they didn't have their own team.
Boomerfan
Banned User
And1: 430

Post#6 » by Boomerfan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:51 pm

ValHoffa wrote:I noticed last night that Jamaica was playing Puerto Rico last night. I caught a couple of minutes of it but i noticed no noticeable players. This game must have been a friendly match right?
Why would they play a game like this when nba & nbadl players play for both teams?

This happens all the time. Australia often play games where it is just local players and it's usually in the smaller tournaments or friendlies. In major tournaments the NBA and Europe players would be in the side.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#7 » by Dr Aki » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:56 pm

when puerto rico becomes a US state, does puerto rico stop having an international team?
ValHoffa
Junior

Post#8 » by ValHoffa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:57 pm

almatic wrote:

In soccer though, all the other competitions take international-play breaks.

And if you can mention soccer, you should probably know there's a handful of common-wealth's & sovereignties that have their own team in sports, Puerto Rico should be way less surprising than some of those.
Heck, the U.S. Virgin Islands have their own team. The Cayman Islands are a British territory, yet have their own soccer team, that plays in CONCACAF (North American/Carribean soccer conference).
Wales, Scotland & England are countries, yet form as Great Britain in Olympic play. (And basketball. Actually I think it may be only FIFA, Rugby & Cricket where they're separate)

There's so many different circumstances & situations concerning nationalism, colonization, etc. that its almost pointless to question why places like Puerto Rico have their own team.
PR deserve their own team anyway, it's not like their one of the 50 "United States", and their first language is Spanish, etc etc. And they have some wons over USA basketball as well!
They're a decent basketball program even internationally anyway, it'd be a shame if they didn't have their own team.

YES
ValHoffa
Junior

Post#9 » by ValHoffa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Dr Aki wrote:when puerto rico becomes a US state, does puerto rico stop having an international team?

puerto rico will never become a us state… if you've ever been to puerto rico i can tell you right now its culturally a completely different country then the main content of the USofA
Cavs1017
Banned User

Post#10 » by Cavs1017 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:17 pm

ValHoffa wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:when puerto rico becomes a US state, does puerto rico stop having an international team?

puerto rico will never become a us state… if you've ever been to puerto rico i can tell you right now its culturally a completely different country then the main content of the USofA

yeah but so is Hawaii & Alaska (although far more before they became states)

even in the mainland, the statehood changed a lot of places that seem more in tune with the american theme right now than they were prior to being states.

but I do agree, I don't see PR becoming a state in near future.
ValHoffa
Junior

Post#11 » by ValHoffa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:25 pm

Cavs1017 wrote:
ValHoffa wrote:

even in the mainland, the statehood changed a lot of places that seem more in tune with the american theme right now than they were prior to being states.

something you have to realize is hawaii and alaska ARE US states, puerto rico isn't, its a commonwealth … I also can see and a lot of puerto ricans support the idea of puerto rico completely separating and becoming independent as even some of the islands off the coast of puerto rico have even thought of becoming independent from both the us and pr (culebra, vieques)
Cavs1017
Banned User

Post#12 » by Cavs1017 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:33 pm

ValHoffa wrote:
Cavs1017 wrote:
ValHoffa wrote: puerto rico will never become a us state… if you've ever been to puerto rico i can tell you right now its culturally a completely different country then the main content of the USofA

something you have to realize is hawaii and alaska ARE US states, puerto rico isn't, its a commonwealth … I also can see and a lot of puerto ricans support the idea of puerto rico completely separating and becoming independent as even some of the islands off the coast of puerto rico have even thought of becoming independent from both the us and pr (culebra, vieques)

they weren't always states bro, lol.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#13 » by The-Power » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:42 pm

ValHoffa wrote:[...] I also can see and a lot of puerto ricans support the idea of puerto rico completely separating and becoming independent [...]

5.49% (2012), I guess. Or about 39% if you count the votes supporting a free association, albeit that's not 'completely separating'. A little more than 5.5% if you suggest that the proportion was actually not congruent among non-voters - compared with the voters - while having a tendency towards separation. Although, considering the way it was constructed, the referendum must have been meant as a joke, this should be one of the few directly useful numbers from that referendum.
almatic
Veteran
And1: 1,713

Post#14 » by almatic » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:11 pm

Cavs1017 wrote:
ValHoffa wrote:
Cavs1017 wrote:yeah but so is Hawaii & Alaska (although far more before they became states)

They were never commonwealth's either.
Alaska was bought from Russia.
Hawaii is a republic. They had their Queen overthrown by the US.
There was a large demand for statehood in those 2 territories, but not so much in other territories that the US has or had, like Puerto Rico & The Phillipines, respectively.
ValHoffa
Junior

Post#15 » by ValHoffa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:13 pm

Cavs1017 wrote:
ValHoffa wrote:
Cavs1017 wrote:yeah but so is Hawaii & Alaska (although far more before they became states)

im not talking about before 1959 which is when hawaii and alaska became us states…I'm talking about now…. also puerto rico has been sending people to the olympics and other events since 1948, i don't understand why its so hard to comprehend why puerto rico has its own team…
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Post#16 » by NOODLESTYLE » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Cavs1017 wrote:
irie wrote:

There's a reason all Puerto Ricans are US citizens, it's an unincorporated territory of the United States

Territories and disputed "countries" probably get their own team to promote the game of basketball.

Taiwan has one, which they go by Chinese Taipei, so does Hong Kong.
ValHoffa
Junior

Post#17 » by ValHoffa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:19 pm

almatic wrote:
Cavs1017 wrote:
ValHoffa wrote:

They were never commonwealth's either.
Alaska was bought from Russia.
Hawaii is a republic. They had their Queen overthrown by the US.
There was a large demand for statehood in those 2 territories, but not so much in other territories that the US has or had, like Puerto Rico & The Phillipines, respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii
Hawaii is the 50th and most recent U.S. state to join the United States, having joined the Union on August 21, 1959. It is the only U.S. state located in Oceania and the only one made up entirely of islands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska
Alaska is a U.S. state situated in the northwest extremity of the North American continent. Bordering the state to the east is Yukon, a Canadian territory, and the Canadian province of British Columbia, the Arctic Ocean to the north, and the Pacific Ocean to the west and south, with Russia (specifically, Chukotka Autonomous Okrug and Kamchatka Krai) further west across the Bering Strait. Alaska is the largest state in the United States by area, the 4th least populous and the least densely populated of the 50 United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico
Puerto Rico officially the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (Spanish: Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico, pronounced: [esˈtaðo ˈliβɾe asoˈsjaðo ðe ˈpweɾto ˈriko], literally the Associated Free State of Puerto Rico), is an unincorporated territory of the United States, located in the northeastern Caribbean east of the Dominican Republic and west of both the United States Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#18 » by irie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:22 pm

Cavs1017 wrote:
irie wrote:

I'm aware of Puerto Rico's situation in regards to the US. Guam also has national teams and are in the same situation.

Why does it really matter if they want to have their own national team?
♣|☸
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Post#19 » by NOODLESTYLE » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:29 pm

irie wrote:
Cavs1017 wrote:
irie wrote:For the same reason any country has its own national team.

I'm aware of Puerto Rico's situation in regards to the US. Guam also has national teams and are in the same situation.

That reminds me, not only does Samoa have a team, but so does American Samoa and the Virgin Islands.
Cavs1017
Banned User

Post#20 » by Cavs1017 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:48 pm

NOODLESTYLE wrote:
irie wrote:
Cavs1017 wrote:Puerto Rico isn't a country bro.

That reminds me, not only does Samoa have a team, but so does American Samoa and the Virgin Islands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_S ... tball_team

never seen so much red...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Virgi ... tball_team

actually isn't bad as far as red.

I know there's some forum members that have played for national teams on here, if I was one I'd write a LeBron level of detailed wiki page on myself even though my accomplishments would be nearly non existent.

Return to The General Board