Interesting article on Wojo and sources

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Re: Interesting article on Wojo and sources 

Post#21 » by Slava » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:30 pm

I'd be more worried about the fact that if he is proven to leverage his opinion for favorable sources and its well known, people are still going to him for his opinion pieces because it still stays valuable. That tells me Woj isn't slipping and he'll own another draft again.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
mrmsix6
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,598

Post#22 » by mrmsix6 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:37 pm

His fact reporting is the best.

His opinion pieces are among the worst.
jehosafats
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,721

Post#23 » by jehosafats » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:37 pm

Yeah, I was reading that last night, then came here and shook my head seeing the WOJ thread.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Post#24 » by JonFromVA » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Sports journalism is an oxymoron.
yellowsub264
Senior
And1: 149

Post#25 » by yellowsub264 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Just curious, how many people actually read his articles and follow him on Twitter? I follow him on Twitter but i've probably only read 3 Wojo articles ever.

And I have to stay off Twitter during the draft cause I dont like him breaking the picks before hand lol.
God gave me a passion for basketball that burns inside of me like that of a venereal disease
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#26 » by MikeM » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Well you had to at least suspect this was the case. The guy would come out of nowhere with opinion pieces that were meant to eviscerate certain people in the NBA. Either the guy is a psychopath or his sources were telling him who to go after. Common sense.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#27 » by kingkirk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:56 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:Well, at least now we have some idea of why he has seemed to hate LeBron so much.

In truth, this column has needed to be written for some time on Woj. As great as he is at breaking stories, his long-form essays/opinion pieces often reek of an apparent bitterness and unprofessionalism, IMO. The recent tirade against Mike Krzyzewski is an example of that, I think.

That's when he lost my respect as a basketball writer. Pushing the Coach K agenda with all that bitterness and agenda was it for me.

To me, all he is now is a guy on twitter who gives me the 140 character news i need to hear come trade/free agent time.
The_ref
Senior
And1: 342

Post#28 » by The_ref » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:24 pm

xBulletproof wrote:So basically, Woj was wrong about some opinion pieces, so that makes him a terrible reporter? That's really all I got out of it.

It was like someone tried to make a Woj opinion piece about Woj, actually. So does that in turn make the writer a bad reporter too? :lol:

Maybe you should read it again if that was all you got out of it.
Chamberlainship
Sixth Man
And1: 213

Post#29 » by Chamberlainship » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:43 pm

In 2010, the NBA fined Dumars $500,000 for leaking multiple confidential league memos to Wojnarowski, according to multiple sources. This matches the third largest publicly known fine the league has ever handed down. The NBA decided that too many memos were making it into the media, so they conducted a sting operation over several months. They would change a few words or numbers in different team’s copies of otherwise identical memos, so that when the memos leaked they could spot the small differences and trace them back to the leaker. This approach caught Dumars red-handed, as well as an executive from another team who was fined $12,500 for leaking to a draft-focused website. Joe Dumars, the Detroit Pistons, and the NBA all declined to comment on the fine.

Interesting level of trust between the league office and the teams. I wonder why Dumars got the $500K fine and the other executive got $12,500. That's quite a difference. And how does Draper know about all this?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#30 » by The Rebel » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:19 pm

So a new site that is not really popular and is trying to add sports to draw more interest, hires a sports writer few have heard about to write a hit piece on the most popular basketball writer in the world's hit pieces, and nobody else sees the irony?

Woj does what he does because it works, after all how many basketball fans are visiting that site right now to read about Woj?
Pure_Basketball
Head Coach
And1: 6,375

Post#31 » by Pure_Basketball » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:01 pm

I didn't know about his connection with Dumars, and how Dumars was leaking everything to him, and eventually got a $500,000 fine for it haha.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#32 » by inquisitive » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:38 am

this was interesting... :lol:

There does seem to be real animosity between Wojnarowski and ESPN’s reporters. During the 2011 NBA Finals, the entire basketball media was in Dallas to report on it. After one of the games Hollinger was driving out of the parking lot in his rental car. As he got close to Wojnarowski, Spears, and Yahoo Sports NBA editor Johnny Ludden, Hollinger rolled down his window and joked, "Oh man, I could’ve taken out the whole Yahoo operation!" As he began to drive away, Wojnarowski yelled after him, "And we’d still kick your ass from the grave!" (When asked to comment, Hollinger said tersely, "I don’t remember that" and hung up on me.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#33 » by Slava » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:04 am

inquisitive wrote:this was interesting... :lol:

There does seem to be real animosity between Wojnarowski and ESPN’s reporters. During the 2011 NBA Finals, the entire basketball media was in Dallas to report on it. After one of the games Hollinger was driving out of the parking lot in his rental car. As he got close to Wojnarowski, Spears, and Yahoo Sports NBA editor Johnny Ludden, Hollinger rolled down his window and joked, "Oh man, I could’ve taken out the whole Yahoo operation!" As he began to drive away, Wojnarowski yelled after him, "And we’d still kick your ass from the grave!" (When asked to comment, Hollinger said tersely, "I don’t remember that" and hung up on me.

There's a premise for Anchorman 3, The Legend of Wojnarowski.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Ghost
Bench Warmer
And1: 509

Post#34 » by Ghost » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:09 am

It was a great article and I found it very interesting. I didn't know some of the stuff about Woj and his past. I'm just glad he made it to where he is, because I love following him on Twitter. He's the man.

Edit-the Dumars part was funny as a Pistons fan.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#35 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:17 am

i dont care about Wojs articles anyways; I don't think I've even read one before. I just want the breaking twitter news, so whatever arrangement he has with a GM where he'll massage their balls in articles in exchange for a scoop is fine with me.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#36 » by floppymoose » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:25 am

I'll take Woj's opinions over the average reporter's any day. He was one of the very very few reporters to write intelligently about the lockout. The vast majority pandered to the usual fan mis-perceptions about owners losing money.
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Post#37 » by DreDay » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:28 am

People read Woj articles?? He's really only useful for his news, if I want opinion pieces there are much better avenues such as the Grantland staff.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#38 » by floppymoose » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:29 am

By the way, the first thing I did when looking at this article is to web search on its author. He's tied to espn:
http://search.espn.go.com/kevin-draper/
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,732

Post#39 » by durden_tyler » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:40 am

This article confirmed it for me: Woj the best for breaking/opinion pieces! Add Zach Lowe for NBA analysis and i don't even have to visit other sites for my NBA fix.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
NotaHypeJob
Sixth Man
And1: 2,229

Post#40 » by NotaHypeJob » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:41 am

inquisitive wrote:this was interesting... :lol:

guy still rips Hollinger for no reason, he's written about 4 or 5 stupid articles about how Hollinger destroyed the Grizz when he took over

Return to The General Board