Splash Brothers both enter three-point contest

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Re: Splash Brothers both enter three-point contest 

Post#81 » by HiRez » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:31 pm

laploutocratie wrote:Nice. But it seems like some obscure scrub always wins it only to never be heard from again lol.

It's really hard to predict how guys will do. The contest really is very different than just shooting 3s over time, in the flow of a game. Some smaller/thinner guys like Curry can have stamina problems, for that reason I don't like his chances (Curry also likes to shoot them off the dribble). Then, in the end, there's always just the "are you hot at that moment?" factor. Some days even the best 3 point shooters just don't have it, while sometimes just "good" shooters are feeling everything.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#82 » by TKainZero » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:33 pm

I would like.

Curry
Klay
Lillard
Wesely Mathews (look how many 3 pointers he made this year!!!)
Harden
Korver

Also, Drik and Love would be fun... villuneava would be hilarious (especially if he won)
Reddick is a good 3pt shooter... (maybe jammer, as a last chance to get on track?)
Staskus?
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#83 » by HiRez » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:34 pm

[mispost, please delete]
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#84 » by NBAfan3024 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:34 pm

Who's defending champ again?
Insomniaac
Rookie
And1: 994

Re: 

Post#85 » by Insomniaac » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:35 pm

NBAfan3024 wrote:Who's defending champ again?

Marco Belinelli
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#86 » by MaxRider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:40 pm

kodo wrote:
CnG wrote:Not to mention Steph and Klay are 40% and 46% respective compared to Lillard and Wes‘ 37% and 40%.

Nah lol.

If you're going to go by percentages, then there are guys who should be ahead of Curry.

Steph: 39.6%
Courtney Lee: 46.4%
Brooks: 44.7%
Beal: 44.1%
Middleton: 42.9%
Singler: 42.4%

So why is Steph in the contest and these guys not? Because Steph has a large # of made 3 pointers.

And who has the MOST # of made 3 pointers in the league? Wes Matthews.

Matthews: 138
Korver: 135
Klay: 132
Steph: 124

The 2nd list, the list of made 3 pointers, is a much better indicator of the best pure shooters in the league and not the % list.

that's why i don't like to use stat to determine who should be in
some role players are just designated corner 3 pts shooters they aren't really good shooters
that's why i rather watch all-star players compete

nevermind i think it is actually more fun to see all-star players playing HORSE
BScoreez
Senior
And1: 151

Post#87 » by BScoreez » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 pm

kodo wrote:
CnG wrote:Not to mention Steph and Klay are 40% and 46% respective compared to Lillard and Wes‘ 37% and 40%.

Nah lol.

If you're going to go by percentages, then there are guys who should be ahead of Curry.

Steph: 39.6%
Courtney Lee: 46.4%
Brooks: 44.7%
Beal: 44.1%
Middleton: 42.9%
Singler: 42.4%

So why is Steph in the contest and these guys not? Because Steph has a large # of made 3 pointers.

And who has the MOST # of made 3 pointers in the league? Wes Matthews.

Matthews: 138
Korver: 135
Klay: 132
Steph: 124

The 2nd list, the list of made 3 pointers, is a much better indicator of the best pure shooters in the league and not the % list.

It should be a combination of volume, efficiency, and difficulty. The reason Curry and Klay are the top 3 point shooting duo is because not only do they make the most threes per game in the league, but they also shoot the highest %, and shoot the most difficult 3's. This is a big reason why Curry and Klay were number 1 and 3 (Korver was 2) in the respect score which measures how closely opposing defenders stick to their man off the ball or how apt a defender is to help off their man.
Canada_7
General Manager
And1: 2,486

Post#88 » by Canada_7 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:52 pm

APacoJ wrote:
Canada_7 wrote:Just a small taste of the shooting sexiness that will be occurring at the contest (including a wild Kenneth Farried appearing). No Steph Curry below though. And yeah, I realize catching and shooting is different from grabbing the ball from the rack before taking a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJH8O3Zzl-s

This video gets me pumped up for this event more than anything. Those guys sure can shoot the lights out... One thing I notice is how far forward Korver jumps when he shoots. In an alternating catch and shoot style contest like this that doesn't cause a problem, but for an event formatted the way the 3 point contest is, I'm not sure that bodes well for Korver.

Sorry, don't mean to go slightly off-topic with this thread and make it about Korver, but here's footage from Kyle Korver's last time in the 3-point shootout. Surprising that it's been 10 years since his last appearance (was in the 2004 contest in his rookie year as well as in 2005 which this video is from). He might have changed his form ever so slightly over the 10 years or it was just for the nature of the contest but here he's definitely jumping a lot less and he does pretty well. Still, I'm surprised it's been 10 years since his last appearance in this. We're talking about a dude who is lethal from 3 every year, and holds the NBA record for best 3 point % over the course of a season (09/10 with Utah at a clip of .536 from 3).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0OioILCAMY[/youtube]

This is gonna be Steph's 4th time in the competition, always good to see him in there (but I don't think he's ever had a superb score in this) while this will be Klay's first times. JJ Redick is also gonna be in, and I'm quite surprised he's never been in it until this year.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#89 » by illastrate » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:00 am

Glad to see Redick finally get recognition. He's having a career year and has been largely overlooked because there are other great shooters in the league. But the numbers don't lie:

113 3pters made (7th)
.441 3p% (6th)
Westbreezy
Pro Prospect
And1: 951

Post#90 » by Westbreezy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:54 am

Slava wrote:I'm kind of excited for an all star weekend in a long time despite knowing that no Laker will be within eyesight.

Yeah a year is a pretty long time. Lol
dub81 wrote:Byron had to do one of two things this year: Either win games or develop the youth. Swung and missed wildly on both.

Lakers 2015-16 Season in a Nutshell
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#91 » by old rem » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:23 am

HiRez wrote:
laploutocratie wrote:Nice. But it seems like some obscure scrub always wins it only to never be heard from again lol.

It's really hard to predict how guys will do. The contest really is very different than just shooting 3s over time, in the flow of a game. Some smaller/thinner guys like Curry can have stamina problems, for that reason I don't like his chances (Curry also likes to shoot them off the dribble). Then, in the end, there's always just the "are you hot at that moment?" factor. Some days even the best 3 point shooters just don't have it, while sometimes just "good" shooters are feeling everything.
Well.. awhile back I heard a journalist say he watched ..after a pre-season practice.. as Curry shot 100 3 pt shots. He made 90. i think maybe a trickier thing is the whole shoot against the clock thing. You have to shoot quick...but not rush it too much. The guys in the contest will be proven shooters but the format..is NOT like in a game.
CENSORED... No comment.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#92 » by Sofa King » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:25 am

Slava wrote:I'm kind of excited for an all star weekend in a long time despite knowing that no Laker will be within eyesight.

Thats what the other owners want you to believe
Studemire1
Sixth Man
And1: 107

Post#93 » by Studemire1 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:30 am

They put the right guys in this. Can't wait to watch it.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#94 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:33 am

This is going to be good.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
ryanpuge
Senior
And1: 619

Post#95 » by ryanpuge » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Slava wrote:
SunKing wrote:

Same here. The US vs International rookie game and the 3pt contest lineup made me actually want to turn my TV on this time.

I don't even care for the dunk contest like a lot of other guys I presume.

I always want to watch the dunk contest just like I can never turn my head away from a train wreck.

Thank you!
daoneandonly wrote:
it's not that I'm disrespecting Wade or saying he's not a solid NBA player,I'm saying he never was or never will be a superstar.When it comes right down to it,Wade is just not that good.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#96 » by MaxRider » Thu Feb 5, 2015 10:17 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/563447423905710080[/tweet]
DynastySS
General Manager
And1: 1,936

Post#97 » by DynastySS » Fri Feb 6, 2015 1:49 am

I bet Klay does better than Curry.

Klay's form is more 3 point contest friendly.
omnificent wrote:The fact you doubt that Barnes is a better player than Green discredits anything you have to say about this team. You're either blind or don't watch Warriors games. Even the most delusional Green groupie wouldn't doubt that Barnes is the better player
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#98 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Feb 6, 2015 2:11 am

Steph did work last night!
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential

Return to The General Board