Reggie Jackson, locker room cancer

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Re: Re: Reggie Jackson, locker room cancer 

Post#201 » by WesleyExChiFan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Tave wrote:
wesleybullsfan wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:I think he outgrew his role and got tired of being a backup PG. I think it's healthy for a player to get frustrated at a job and want a better role, he's a human, not a robot. Lord knows when I outgrew my role at my old job and I saw things weren't changing my effort level went down.
rational discussion??? Not in my RealGM!

(Thank you btw)

It's different in the real world: compared to the NBA, the 9-5 life is an environment of infinite possibilities where people advance and move on to other jobs all the time. In the NBA, there are just 30 companies and fewer than that will be competitive during your tenure. Furthermore, your job involves little personal execution and far more team play, so you are dependent on that team to perform. It's an odd working environment and one not every young 20-year old with ego and adrenaline running through his system is prepared to handle well.

Hell, I'm a grown man and I don't handle it well all the time. I can only imagine if there were a gang of reporters hanging around me all the time.
Kevin Johnson
Analyst
And1: 7,835

Re: Reggie Jackson, locker room cancer 

Post#202 » by Kevin Johnson » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:40 am

Jackson with 15 pts, 5rbs, 4 ast on 5-8 shooting at the half against Cavs.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#203 » by MotownMadness » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:43 am

Kevin Johnson wrote:Jackson with 15 pts, 5rbs, 4 ast on 5-8 shooting at the half against Cavs.

He's looked great so far tonight. Just his ability to take it inside is huge for us.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Re: Re: Reggie Jackson, locker room cancer 

Post#204 » by NCHeels2008 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:52 am

Tave wrote:
wesleybullsfan wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:I think he outgrew his role and got tired of being a backup PG. I think it's healthy for a player to get frustrated at a job and want a better role, he's a human, not a robot. Lord knows when I outgrew my role at my old job and I saw things weren't changing my effort level went down.
rational discussion??? Not in my RealGM!

(Thank you btw)

It's different in the real world: compared to the NBA, the 9-5 life is an environment of infinite possibilities where people advance and move on to other jobs all the time. In the NBA, there are just 30 companies and fewer than that will be competitive during your tenure. Furthermore, your job involves little personal execution and far more team play, so you are dependent on that team to perform. It's an odd working environment and one not every young 20-year old with ego and adrenaline running through his system is prepared to handle well.

Clearly it's not the same business, but I work in an industry with a limited amount of competitors, so jumping ship isn't the easiest of things
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#205 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:57 am

He's gone out of his way to be complimentary and deferential, Carl. I was struck by his response after the Cleveland game when someone asked him what it says about his defense that he'd played against two All-Star point guards so far, John Wall and Kyrie Irving, and held them both to tepid shooting nights (Wall 5 of 16, Irving 6 of 16). Jackson's response: "It says I have four great guys on the court with me at all times who make it easy on me," he said. Stan Van Gundy covered his bases here. In addition to absorbing all of the voluminous scouting reports the Pistons had on Jackson, compiled by their four pro scouts on a weekly basis, Van Gundy tapped into the intimate knowledge Caron Butler had of Jackson and the Oklahoma City dynamic from their time together as teammates over the final few months of last season and through three rounds of playoffs. Butler gave Van Gundy an enthusiastic thumbs up. "I told (Van Gundy) all the pluses, because there wasn't any minus. I said he'd be a great addition."
"It meant a lot to me," Van Gundy said. "It meant a lot to me what everybody had to say, but Caron was the final piece. You can do all the intelligence you want, but you don't know anybody that's been in the locker room with a guy and Caron had been in the locker room with him. He's been in the locker room here and a lot of other places, so he knows good from bad and he also knows me and what I'm going to like and not like. So it meant a lot when he said what he thought of him as a player and what he thought of him as a worker. It really pushed me over the top."
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#206 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:18 am

miltk wrote:
TPA wrote:
TigerInYourTank wrote:
So Dwight wasn't a cancer under SVG?

SVG wasn't calling the shots in Orlando.
Orlando management chose the cancer instead of the coach, and lost the gamble...

ummm, the line of reasoning is,,,if jackson was a cancer then why did okc offer 4/48. it's rather incongruous. nonetheless, jackson won't be a cancer because he's approaching this as a chance in a lifetime. the issue is can he do it.

He might be a cancer BECAUSE he's approaching it as a chance of a lifetime, an opportunity to play a selfish brand of basketball he was unable to before. Historical evidence, see: Ricky Davis :P.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#207 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:55 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
He might be a cancer BECAUSE he's approaching it as a chance of a lifetime, an opportunity to play a selfish brand of basketball he was unable to before. Historical evidence, see: Ricky Davis :P.

we are just ignoring a NBA vets opinion on him being a high character individual!? despite the fact he's been in a lockeroom with the kid for longer than anyone here?
Grolgar
Junior
And1: 176

Post#208 » by Grolgar » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:13 am

I've watched every Thunder game this season and I've never seen a player give up like him. He was totally disengaged all season. Terrible body language and whiny attitude. He refused to play a game when the team was desperate and shorthanded. Perk and Ibaka froze him out of a game against Brooklyn because of his selfishness. KD and Russ wanted him gone. OKC has an exceptional culture and no player in the franchises 8 years has ever done any of those things I just listed. All those were firsts. He's a selfish dude who got what he wanted. He's happy right now like a spoiled kid is happy when he gets his way. He's the only Thunder player I've ever disliked.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#209 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:42 am

"I think he's a guy that's looking for that kind of role, to kind of lead," Van Gundy said. "He's been very positive and very vocal since he's been here, but he's also very careful. He's not going to be the guy to get on somebody right now. You're not at that point. That has to be done by other guys."Getting to know teammates may be time-consuming, but the process of establishing relationships started immediately.Jackson has been active in organizing post-game restaurant runs with teammates in his two games since arriving in Detroit.

A staff member had to wipe Jackson's phone number off the whiteboard in the locker room when it was left there after media entered the room following Tuesday's game. Teammates having his contact information is a good thing; having it inadvertently flashed in the background of a post-game television interview isn't.

That damn locker room cancer
primecougar
Starter
And1: 928

Post#210 » by primecougar » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:18 pm

need4detroit wrote:
primecougar wrote:Reggie Jackson sucks. I don't know why Detroit fans are so happy to get him. He will create more opportunities for dre but I doubt he can be a star in this league.

I don't think he's even worth the contract okc originally offered him

Either you are a star or you suck. Ok.

You know that's not what I meant. I assumed fans thought he will be really good because of how excited everyone was. He's an inefficient scorer that can't shoot that's due up for an extension.
#1 pick wrote:MJ wasn't more skilled than Lebron. Quite the opposite to be honest.
greenandgold
Senior
And1: 202

Post#211 » by greenandgold » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:14 pm

I think Pistons fans have now seen the best and worst of Reggie Jackson. Last night was the worst: 5 for 24 from the field, with 4 turnovers, in a loss to the Knicks.

Not a great 3 point shooter and not a great mid-range game so teams will sag in the lane against him. They know he wants to take it to the hoop. Even when it goes into the hoop it's often a tough shot. And RJ is so confident in himself he'll Josh Smith the team out of the game.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#212 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:13 pm

primecougar wrote:
You know that's not what I meant. I assumed fans thought he will be really good because of how excited everyone was. He's an inefficient scorer that can't shoot that's due up for an extension.

Sounds like jennings, also you do realize young players improve and are better in some systems than other. I get that you want to try to bring posters down to earth, but to deny Jackson's potential, when NBA coaches see it ,and to define his career is just being blind.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#213 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:19 pm

greenandgold wrote:I think Pistons fans have now seen the best and worst of Reggie Jackson. Last night was the worst: 5 for 24 from the field, with 4 turnovers, in a loss to the Knicks.

Honestly it didn't look so much like Jackson was having a bad night , but moreso, had no f* clue what to do on offense. He even threw up some sh* that look like a "typical young player" thing to do. SVG was having him run the same play, over and over. Even Derey(beat writer) commented on it.

Not a great 3 point shooter and not a great mid-range game so teams will sag in the lane against him. They know he wants to take it to the hoop. Even when it goes into the hoop it's often a tough shot. And RJ is so confident in himself he'll Josh Smith the team out of the game.

He's actually a great 3 point shooter, he just takes bad 3 point shots, he can make tough shots, and you want a pg not to be confident? you don't know josh smith , you don't know the pain, there is no comparison
thunderup_0_35
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#214 » by thunderup_0_35 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:37 pm

Stop that notion Reggie Jackson is a below average 3 point shooter For a point gaurd. Not a great passer or gear vivision. Not a good playmaker. Defense is garbage. His great attributes are his athleticism, finishing ability, and doesn't shy a way that's it. With all that being said he is still young so give him a chance, but don't overpay or overhype this man. Im waiting to see how He responds when things don't go his way in the D. Last thing I would take Jennings over Reggie, more talented and more of a it factor about him.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#215 » by basketball royalty » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:37 pm

He may have been a cancer in the OKC lockerroom because he didn't want to be there anymore but that doesn't mean he will be a cancer in every lockerroom he goes to. It will be interesting to see what happens when Jennings is back in the picture, BJ was starting to play some of the best ball in his career before the achilles tear.

Also, the clique thing is interesting because it seems to me that if there is a Durant + Westbrook led clique that could cause problems regardless of RJ being around or not. They are the leaders of the team and it seems like they have written guys like Lamb and Jones off and that could cause those guys to not feel a part of the team. Like the mean girls in highschool. Silly.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#216 » by Tave » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:51 pm

basketball royalty wrote:He may have been a cancer in the OKC lockerroom because he didn't want to be there anymore but that doesn't mean he will be a cancer in every lockerroom he goes to. It will be interesting to see what happens when Jennings is back in the picture, BJ was starting to play some of the best ball in his career before the achilles tear.

Also, the clique thing is interesting because it seems to me that if there is a Durant + Westbrook led clique that could cause problems regardless of RJ being around or not. They are the leaders of the team and it seems like they have written guys like Lamb and Jones off and that could cause those guys to not feel a part of the team. Like the mean girls in highschool. Silly.

It sounded more to me like they were worried that Jackson was getting in Lamb's and PJ's ear about their PT, and Russ and Kevin didn't want their new 6th man involved in that.

Even if KD and Russ are being unnecessarily cold, Lamb and PJ better buck up or pray for a trade b/c that's a power struggle they can't hope to win.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#217 » by Revived » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:58 pm

OKC could have sure used Reggie Jackson right about now with Westbrook's face injury and all.
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#218 » by Tave » Sun Mar 1, 2015 12:04 am

SF88 wrote:OKC could have sure used Reggie Jackson right about now with Westbrook's face injury and all.

I'd rather have Reggie than Dion in that situation, although not by much.

But yeah, that's part of the reason they offered him 12 million per year. You can't use a guy that doesn't want to be there.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#219 » by bondom34 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 2:35 am

SF88 wrote:OKC could have sure used Reggie Jackson right about now with Westbrook's face injury and all.

Nope, I'll take Augustin. No more RJ for me.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#220 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Mar 1, 2015 3:43 am

Augustin will be fine.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential

Return to The General Board