Mark Jackson and Lacob~ bad blood

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Dmanning2
Senior
And1: 538

Re: Mark Jackson and Lacob~ bad blood 

Post#41 » by Dmanning2 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:52 pm

Have I been living under a rock because what's with all the Mark Jackson hate? Honestly I can't blame him I'd be pissed If all did was bring a winning culture to a franchise that's been missing it for decades, developed key players Klay Thompson & Draymond Green, bring a defensive mindset to a team that was only known for their offense 4th best defense last year. All of that success to having to work for ESPN :lol:

Pretty sure Jackson wakes up everyday looks a the huge success that GSW is having and feels he built up some of it? Jackson is a great motivator speaker/confidence booster probably better than Kerr.

Or do people hate him because he a devoted Christian / pastor :lol: :lol:
ohio wrote:mudiay is a better player... so is Okafor... what the hell was LA thinking
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#42 » by JimmyTD3 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:00 am

Dmanning2 wrote:Have I been living under a rock because what's with all the Mark Jackson hate? Honestly I can't blame him I'd be pissed If all did was bring a winning culture to a franchise that's been missing it for decades, developed key players Klay Thompson & Draymond Green, bring a defensive mindset to a team that was only known for their offense 4th best defense last year. Then having to work for ESPN.

Pretty sure Jackson wakes up everyday looks a the huge success that GSW is having and feels he built up some of it? Jackson is a great motivator speaker/confidence booster probably better than Kerr.

As a Dubs fan, I defended Jackson and was pissed at his firing.

Now that we've had Kerr for a little bit, I can see why we fired MJ. It's really night and day, and answers my question of "why isn't MJ coaching in the NBA anymore?"

MJ refused to bring in anyone smarter than him to help coach the team. The reason Kerr is so successful is pretty much because of Ron Adams and Alvin Gentry, who MJ NEVER would have brought aboard. He refused to let legends such as Jerry West into practices. Most importantly, he refused to prepare properly for games. I remember he had one quote last year during the playoffs where he was like "I don't really see a reason to over-prepare for this game. I already know that Chris Paul is an All-NBA player, I don't need to prepare extra to know that". :banghead:

Lastly, I don't think he "developed" Klay, Thompson, Draymond (who he played 21MPG), or Curry as much as he "stumbled into" those players.

This team is elite because of our talent, not because of Mark Jackson.
kaiballz
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Post#43 » by kaiballz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:04 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
kaiballz wrote:
Mark Jackson continues to reference Warriors co-owner Joe Lacob in his sermons, with the latest mention coming 10 months after his firing.“I had a joy when I was coaching,” Jackson said Sunday in recorded comments to his congregation at True Love Worship Center International in Reseda, where he is an ordained minister. “I had a joy when I got fired. The owner of the Golden State Warriors was baffled when I left the meeting, shook his hand and smiled. I said, ‘I’m praying for you.’ He looked at me like I just cussed him out. All I said was, ‘I’m praying for you.’

I'm not bashing Christianity. There are some nice Christians, they usually say: is it okay if I pray for you? Den they start praying. which is totally fine. its nice, really.
Mark Jackson thou... He just has a way with words

Fundamentally Jackson just seems delusional based on the accounts in question. Here's a guy who was utterly vindictive toward underlings he felt threatened by, which had everything to do with why ownership was so uncomfortable with him, yet when he's fired he sees others sinning against him. Quite frankly, the man sounds like your prototypical cult leader.

the only difference is that he's using god instead of satan, so that makes him a saint.
kaiballz wrote:if anyone can make this comeback (3-1), we can.

I believe in this team.

Wed May 25, 2016 (GSW vs OKC)
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#44 » by leolozon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:55 am

Beffiosa wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Beffiosa wrote:
That response will just get a gentle smile and a "god bless"

Isn't it pretty much like saying the same thing again? "God bless" means "God bless you" which means "May god protect you (or help you)." which is pretty much what was implied by "I'll pray for you."

I know religious people like circular logic, but it just seems like a bad response.

"God bless you" can also mean "take care of yourself" or a way of saying "No hard feelings" The problem with a lot of atheist is, some of you act like you are being attacked with holy water, a crucifix and some anointing oil soaked on a prayer cloth taken from David's temple. Mark Jackson smiled at the owner and says "I'll pray for you" and you posting response to counter it :) . Get a grip of yourselves m8. smh

1-"God bless you" is pretty direct in its meaning : God bless you. It only means "take care of yourself" if you want to change its original meaning.

2- I was answering a poster who said he wouldn't know what to answer. So I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that I should "get a grip of myself" with basically no evidence. It seems that you are projecting something onto me, because I can assure you I have a very good "grip of myself". You can decide to trust me or not when I say that, but you can not come to a conclusion from the post you quoted above. Why did you decide to come to a conclusion anyway? I don't know.

3-You do realize that, for an atheist, "being attacked by holy water or a crucifix" means being attacked by nothing? So by saying that "atheists act as if they are attacked with holy water" you are saying the opposite of what you think you are saying. Which, funnily, is the truth. I don't feel at all like I'm being attacked and, once again, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. I can not feel attacked by something that holds no power over me.

Some atheists are indeed more aggressive than others, but I would say that the worst atheists are far more peaceful than the worst religious people, so let's not start judging by "the worst in the group" because you're going to lose that argument. The "some of you act like you are being attacked" is weird considering that the same can be said of any group. That problem is not inherent to atheism.

As for Mark Jackson, he will probably get another coaching job, but his way of preaching will soon be over in sports. There will be more and more diversity and I don't think that creating religious cliques is a good idea for a team.
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#45 » by Bertrob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:04 am

People saying Mark Jackson should shut up and go on weird Mark Jackson/religion rants should look at the things they post and think about who really shouldn't contribute their thoughts
kaiballz
Bench Warmer

Post#46 » by kaiballz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:28 am

you hardcore atheists and hardcore christians are cute :D

I believe in this team.

kaiballz
Bench Warmer

Post#47 » by kaiballz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:29 am

oh snap. ive been drawn into it now.

I believe in this team.

dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,598

Post#48 » by dc » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:50 am

Dmanning2 wrote:Have I been living under a rock because what's with all the Mark Jackson hate? Honestly I can't blame him I'd be pissed If all did was bring a winning culture to a franchise that's been missing it for decades, developed key players Klay Thompson & Draymond Green, bring a defensive mindset to a team that was only known for their offense 4th best defense last year. All of that success to having to work for ESPN :lol:

Let me be clear as a 25+ year Warrior fan:

Mark Jackson is complete fraud of a human being and he deserves little to no credit for the Warriors success.

Improved the defense? That happened when the Warriors traded Monta Ellis for Andrew Bogut (and waited for Bogut to get healthy) and signed Andre Idgoudala. So now you had Bogut at center, Igoudala on the wing, and you had Klay Thompson instead of an undersized turnstile (Monta). The Warriors got better because they improved their defensive personnel, not because of Mark Jackson's non-coaching.

It infuriates me to no end when people do things like compare Jackson to Tony Dungy and then Kerr to Jon Gruden. What a complete insult to Tony Dungy, a man of class and substance, to compare him to a fraud like Mark Jackson.

There is literally an entire laundry list of things during his tenure that prove what a fraud Jackson was (and still is), but I don't even have the time or inclination to type it all out and you wouldn't have the time to read it all. I feel sorry for the fanbase of the next team that makes the unfortunate decision to hire him.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
-TheDocOfDenial
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,179

Post#49 » by -TheDocOfDenial » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:31 am

leolozon wrote:
Beffiosa wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Isn't it pretty much like saying the same thing again? "God bless" means "God bless you" which means "May god protect you (or help you)." which is pretty much what was implied by "I'll pray for you."

I know religious people like circular logic, but it just seems like a bad response.

"God bless you" can also mean "take care of yourself" or a way of saying "No hard feelings" The problem with a lot of atheist is, some of you act like you are being attacked with holy water, a crucifix and some anointing oil soaked on a prayer cloth taken from David's temple. Mark Jackson smiled at the owner and says "I'll pray for you" and you posting response to counter it :) . Get a grip of yourselves m8. smh

1-"God bless you" is pretty direct in its meaning : God bless you. It only means "take care of yourself" if you want to change its original meaning.

2- I was answering a poster who said he wouldn't know what to answer. So I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that I should "get a grip of myself" with basically no evidence. It seems that you are projecting something onto me, because I can assure you I have a very good "grip of myself". You can decide to trust me or not when I say that, but you can not come to a conclusion from the post you quoted above. Why did you decide to come to a conclusion anyway? I don't know.

3-You do realize that, for an atheist, "being attacked by holy water or a crucifix" means being attacked by nothing? So by saying that "atheists act as if they are attacked with holy water" you are saying the opposite of what you think you are saying. Which, funnily, is the truth. I don't feel at all like I'm being attacked and, once again, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. I can not feel attacked by something that holds no power over me.

Some atheists are indeed more aggressive than others, but I would say that the worst atheists are far more peaceful than the worst religious people, so let's not start judging by "the worst in the group" because you're going to lose that argument. The "some of you act like you are being attacked" is weird considering that the same can be said of any group. That problem is not inherent to atheism.

As for Mark Jackson, he will probably get another coaching job, but his way of preaching will soon be over in sports. There will be more and more diversity and I don't think that creating religious cliques is a good idea for a team.

Mao and Stalin are responsible for more human deaths than any religious people in the last 500 years.
Beffiosa
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,436

Post#50 » by Beffiosa » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:01 pm

-TheDocOfDenial wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Beffiosa wrote:

Mao and Stalin are responsible for more human deaths than any religious people in the last 500 years.

1 What is the meaning of "God bless you?"

2. I wasn't really directing it to you when I say "get a grip of yourselves" I was really speaking to the typical attacks each time I see a thread mentioning religion on this thread. I apologize

3. The crucifix and holy water comment was in pure fun :D. No one is saying atheist are bad, I have a group of friends who are atheist and I know quite a few religious people who goes around with so much hate in their heart. Religion and spirituality are two different things.

My issue with these type of topics is the respect or lack thereof for what others believe in. Why do we have to keep attacking and mock other people's beliefs? If someone does not believe in God so what? If another man believes, so what?
You can't out train bad Nutrition
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#51 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:19 pm

People are telling Mark Jackson to go away but he did just go up to a reporter and tell them "this is what I preached about in church"?

Based on the information the OP gave it seems like they went to his church and are reporting on what he said.

You wouldn't be hearing about this stuff if someone didn't have a vested interest in listening to what he has to say off the court.

In other words, if you want him to go, tell reporters to stop doing these reports.
Soca
Veteran
And1: 841

Post#52 » by Soca » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:37 pm

Jackson is long gone and he still gets under the skin of warrior fans. lol
kaiballz
Bench Warmer

Post#53 » by kaiballz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:56 pm

yea, it pretty much comes alive when he commentates our games and spouts a bunch of envious crap...

I believe in this team.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,484

Post#54 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:12 pm

Dmanning2 wrote:Have I been living under a rock because what's with all the Mark Jackson hate? Honestly I can't blame him I'd be pissed If all did was bring a winning culture to a franchise that's been missing it for decades, developed key players Klay Thompson & Draymond Green, bring a defensive mindset to a team that was only known for their offense 4th best defense last year. All of that success to having to work for ESPN :lol:

You clearly have been living under a rock to some degree because this isn't new: Most of it is from last season when progressively crazier stories were coming out by the month about Jackson's behavior punishing assistants and treating management like the enemy.

As far as his accomplishment: He didn't bring "winning culture". The only time when anything remotely like that happens is when something like Phil Jackson to the Lakers happens: Everybody stops and listens because the new coach has rings. Jackson ain't that. Jackson had no coaching experience and had no rings even as a player.

Not saying Jackson's accomplishments were nothing though: His big one is that he pushed Curry forward into the superstar role, which was something that was no given, and the previous coach had actually impeded. On that alone, he's far from the worst coach we've ever seen. The big issue for him, and why he may never work as an NBA coach again even if he desperately wants to, is the insecurity/control-freak way he treated non-players in the organization. Anyone hiring Jackson at this point simply has to expect that you let Jackson be Jackson or he'll start carving the organization into factions.

Re: Developing Thompson & Green. Now this is 180 degrees wrong. Before this year those guys had accomplished nothing worth noting. The very idea of NOT trading Thompson for a star on another team was crazy based on the mediocrity he produced under Jackson. The decision not to trade though was the right one, and it was based on this knowledge: If we get a real coach in here who works with others to maximize our Xs and Os, Thompson is going to do much, much better. Meanwhile, really no one cared about Green much at all until this year. He is the shocking surprise of the season.

Re: Jackson probably credits himself for the Warriors success. I have absolutely no doubt that he does.

Re: Hate because he's a Christian? No, read carefully. The issue is that the crazy stuff we heard from Jackson last season and in this article is what you could call incredibly un-Christian behavior. Good Christians don't push out or demote assistants when they get recognized as being a vital part of the team's success. Simple as that. But while that's the reason why the Warriors needed to consider firing him, it's the combination of that behavior with his religious rhetoric that makes him seem creepy. When you have someone who seems utterly selfish and cutthroat, but puts on a guise of holiness, you have someone who is potentially very dangerous.

Put it another way: I really wouldn't want to be in Jackson's church congregation. And I mean that not as a low blow after knocking him as a coach, I mean that as basketball is just a game and not that big of a deal, but charismatic church leaders with a myopic sense of morality can do awful, awful things. He somewhat reminds me of my paster as a kid, who it turns out was embezzling from the church.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#55 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:20 pm

-TheDocOfDenial wrote:Mao and Stalin are responsible for more human deaths than any religious people in the last 500 years.

You're absolutely right, and I'm not one to talk about atheists being super-peaceful, but I want to note, the key things these guys had in common with their religious counterparts are this:

1) They had a cause in their rhetoric that galvanized others and was used as the reason why all must be fanatics.

2) They looked to destroy competition to themselves above all else, even if it meant taking someone out who was good for their cause.

I'm not alleging Jackson is someone on their level of course. Jackson should be free to live his life, and guys like Mao/Stalin deserve to be tortured for eternity in hell or wherever. But it's the fact that Jackson cloaks himself in piety while seeming to put himself before his team that gives me the creeps.

Just on court value, he's not the worst there's been, and he's better than some coaching right now. But even if I thought he was the best coach available based on raw coaching ability, were I an owner, I wouldn't hire him after this. You don't hire people who you know will turn around and sting you if they see it as remotely in their interest.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#56 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:04 pm

kaiballz wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
kaiballz wrote:
I'm not bashing Christianity. There are some nice Christians, they usually say: is it okay if I pray for you? Den they start praying. which is totally fine. its nice, really.
Mark Jackson thou... He just has a way with words

Fundamentally Jackson just seems delusional based on the accounts in question. Here's a guy who was utterly vindictive toward underlings he felt threatened by, which had everything to do with why ownership was so uncomfortable with him, yet when he's fired he sees others sinning against him. Quite frankly, the man sounds like your prototypical cult leader.

the only difference is that he's using god instead of satan, so that makes him a saint.

I can tell you think you're above it all messing with silly people on opposite sides of this. Don't confuse me for being someone bashing Jackson simply because he's religious. When I talk about someone as a cult leader, I refer to a combination of characteristics that need not be religious in any traditional sense. Don't dismiss it out of hand simply because the language seems extreme. I'm not saying Jackson's going to kill a bunch of people with kool aid, I'm just saying that the combination of charisma, forced zealotry, and self-righteousness is basically the exact recipe you need to start a cult, or a cult-like organization if you prefer. Steve Jobs, for example, absolutely fits this description and gets talked about as making Apple a cult, so if you prefer, you could say I'm saying Jackson is like Jobs without the genius.

Kevin Johnson
Analyst
And1: 7,835

Post#57 » by Kevin Johnson » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:19 pm

I think Jackson texted "we're both praying for you" when he texted his mistress stripper a picture of his penis that she used in trying to extort money. Obviously God wasn't on Jackson's side abd the FBI had to help out on that one.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,717

Post#58 » by HotRocks34 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:28 pm

From Uproxx (Dime)
http://uproxx.it/1I440Um

Jackson’s methods and words fly in the face of everything that should be good about religion. He doesn’t wear his faith like an armor but instead wields it as a weapon, hoping to strike down all those who disagree with him.

As it turns out, neither (gay former NBA player Jason) Collins nor Lacob needed Jackson’s prayers. Collins is seen, rightfully so, as a hero. Lacob, meanwhile, is the happy owner of the best team in the NBA, thanks in large part to a head coach who employs actual strategy to win games, rather than just cultivate an atmosphere of exclusion and a trite, “Us Against The World” mentality.

Save your prayers, Mark Jackson. No one asked for them, and no one needs them.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
kaiballz
Bench Warmer

Post#59 » by kaiballz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
kaiballz wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

I can tell you think you're above it all messing with silly people on opposite sides of this. Don't confuse me for being someone bashing Jackson simply because he's religious. When I talk about someone as a cult leader, I refer to a combination of characteristics that need not be religious in any traditional sense. Don't dismiss it out of hand simply because the language seems extreme. I'm not saying Jackson's going to kill a bunch of people with kool aid, I'm just saying that the combination of charisma, forced zealotry, and self-righteousness is basically the exact recipe you need to start a cult, or a cult-like organization if you prefer. Steve Jobs, for example, absolutely fits this description and gets talked about as making Apple a cult, so if you prefer, you could say I'm saying Jackson is like Jobs without the genius.

u caught me.

but honestly, the only people who are going to get riled up are the extremists. reasonable people's blood don't boil so ezeli

I believe in this team.

JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#60 » by JellosJigglin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:27 pm

leolozon wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:He's slick. Guys like Lacob are used to being cursed out. What really gets their blood boiling is when they try to get an emotional reaction and you don't give them anything. Mark Jackson is definitely giving him his version of "F you" but.. it's one the owner was far less comfortable with, I think.

Getting cursed out is great because you can just curse them out in return and let your anger out. But someone saying "I'll pray for you" doesn't leave you with many options :lol:. That would piss me off more than getting clocked in the jaw. Talk about getting under your skin.

I'm an atheist and it would probably just make me laugh. Anyway, it's pretty easy to answer something back.

I would either be sarcastic: "Thanks, I'll be waiting to hear from your god."

Or if I really dislike the person: "No need, I'm fine. Pray for children suffering instead. If your god has some time off, maybe he can try to do something about it. Keep praying, I'm sure it will work."

Well I was putting myself in the position of Lacob, which I didn't make very clear. Meaning, someone in a high position of authority that is exposed to the public and media. As a leader of any organization, you're better served leaving religion and politics out of the equation, or risk alienating a large segment of your customer base. Replying to Mark Jackson with a comment that is clearly anti-religion could be bad for business, or at the very least make it into one of Jackson's sermons :lol:. So I can understand why Lacob probably didn't know how to retort with a neutral response.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)

Return to The General Board