New ESPN article: D'Antoni vs. B.Scott on Lin; Lin edict to family: won't entertain complaint blaming anyone else

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

sogood
Analyst
And1: 5,095

Re: New ESPN article: D'Antoni vs. B.Scott on Lin; Lin edict to family: won't entertain complaint blaming anyone else 

Post#21 » by sogood » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Byron is terrible. He **** played Ronnie Price over Lin.

Let that sink in.
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,274

Re: New ESPN article: D'Antoni vs. B.Scott on Lin; Lin edict to family: won't entertain complaint blaming anyone else 

Post#22 » by laploutocratie » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Byron Scott is an ****. We all knew this. On top of that he's a terrible coach. Respect to Lin for always being such a consummate professional.
☘ x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach
And1: 1,686

Post#23 » by CablexDeadpool » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:56 pm

jc23 wrote:That miami game always stuck out to me, never understood why james and wade went so hard at Lin. Sure there is the compettion aspect of it, but they were playing harder then i seen them play all year on national TV (hence why it sticks out).

I think there was some jealousy involved, along with some prejudice. Nothing that makes me think james and wade are racist (not even close), just that they like most were not ready for a Linsanity in the current climate of the NBA.

What are you talking about?

Why would James and Wade be jealous of JEREMY LIN. Wade and James are NBA Superstars, MVP canidates, been to the FInals...

Wade and James didn't guard Lin first of all. It was Chalmers and Cole that destroyed him.

And the reason why they did it because they realized Lin can't dribble for ish. Lin couldn't get out of the backcourt it was so bad. Every time he touched the ball he got stripped and that was pretty much the end of Linsanity.

The dude would routinely put up like 20 points 5 rebs 10 assists and 7 TOs. I would've pressed him all game too and look to embarrass him because I know he can't dribble.

And this is sports...were they just supposed to let Lin walk up the court, knowing he can't dribble for the sake of Linsanity?

I mean and this is basketball. You are supposed to look to embarrass your opponent. You play 1 on 1 basically, you guard your man.
ken6199 wrote:A Rocket's loss really brought out the best of people. It makes me realize this forum is filled with jobless scumbags with their only intention to come hate the team they hate and realize their anger from their life/job/wife/kids or whatever.

:lol:
bklynstoops
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#25 » by bklynstoops » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:14 pm

jc23 wrote:That miami game always stuck out to me, never understood why james and wade went so hard at Lin. Sure there is the compettion aspect of it, but they were playing harder then i seen them play all year on national TV (hence why it sticks out).

I think there was some jealousy involved, along with some prejudice. Nothing that makes me think james and wade are racist (not even close), just that they like most were not ready for a Linsanity in the current climate of the NBA.

lin was basically a rookie at that time, and that Miami defense killed PGs. I remember they made Kyrie looked awful as well. I would've been shocked if he looked good against them which is why I was a bit confused why some seemed to eager to write off Lin after that.

I'd be happy to see Lin in New York again at a reasonable deal. He's better than what we have and I don't see us signing Dragic or Rondo. Lin and Melo looked fine to me when Melo came back in 2012 other than figuring out how to play together and Lin looks like a much more developed player at this point.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#26 » by Bill Bradley » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:15 pm

GYK wrote:It might have been a fluke.

All you have to do is observe Lin when Melo, Harden, and Kobe were on the court versus out with injury to know that it wasn't a fluke. Lin has had a nice string of games lately since Kobe is out and Scott has decided to play him more. Like the article said, Lin can put up big numbers when he can be the primary ball handler and he looks barely serviceable when he is not. D'Antoni's use of the pick and roll and PG dominant system was tailor made for Lin. If D'Antoni was coaching the Lakers now, I have no doubt that Lin would be looking like Linsanity again.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#27 » by bran muffin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 pm

garrick wrote:Byron Scott is a god awful coach and sounds like a douche the way he publicly disses his players.

I've never seen a coach trash his own player to the media like Byron Scott has been doing with Lin all season. Usually, coaches keep their criticisms behind closed doors, and say only PR things in public. Sometimes, they might make blanket criticisms at the entire team without mentioning a specific name. At worse, coaches would try to motivate a specific player by making vague criticisms at him in public.

But Byron's criticisms are certainly not vague. And his harsh words are not intended to "motivate" Lin, who is already his own harshest critic. Byron Scott's attacks always come off sounding like he's trying to justify himself for benching Lin. Even if his reasons for benching Lin are correct, he shouldn't be throwing Lin under the bus like that just to explain himself to the media.

WTF. Just bench the poor guy and stay quiet. You don't need to feed him to the wolves just to save your own skin. That is just such a douchebag move by Byron Scott.
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#28 » by jamesnamida » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:43 pm

lins a decent guy, too religious for me, but he is just not that good.
cant shoot well unless he is open, not a good ball handler, and gets caught up with no where to go.
backup pg. even during linsanity you saw those flaws. He drives well though, just need to work on finishing better.
EazyAsPie
Sophomore
And1: 179

Post#29 » by EazyAsPie » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:50 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
EazyAsPie wrote:The only thing I get from this is Lin is obviously not good enough to be a starting PG in this league, and because of his amazing 3 week stretch 4 years ago he had an article written about him. I feel like he's a decent back up in this league and should be on a team in the NBA, but I just feel like they try to market him to be this great PG when he's not...I will admit I didn't read it thoroughly, but it's what I took away. :dontknow:

When is Dellavedova's "wishing he was better then he is" article coming out?

I think it would also be understandable if that stretch messed with his mind. As in, any time he's not excelling on the court, it's probably natural to wonder what you're doing wrong now, why you're failing now vs. the times you had success before, etc. He referenced it when he talked about getting that DNP in San Antonio. A lot of quality bench players get DNP's from time to time, but it became a lot heavier for him.

So you read about him staying up late at night, and it feels like more than just wanting to be better, it's about trying to become what you were at one point, and feeling frustrated or like a failure if you don't. And also hearing a lot of criticism and trolling if you don't as well. Obviously anyone with pride in their skills is going to see the cup as half-full, that there were reasons for his success and that it wasn't a fluke. Not to mention the whole Asian-American thing, which can add additional burden if you feel like you're not just playing for yourself, but you're representing an entire community.

Hopefully he'll find a good fit in the offseason, not to become a star, but simply to find a good place in the NBA for himself. He's got to be able to embrace everything that's happened, the cup has been both alternatingly full and empty for him, but still the opportunity to look back later on his playing days and go, "Wow what an experience."

Great post. I agree with you on everything that you have said. I guess I'm just confused on why an avg pg in the league has a huge article on the front page of ESPN. No doubt he could be a key player off the bench for a championship caliber team. I just feel like because he is Asian-American they try blowing him up to be something he's not, and I think in the long run it hurts him more then it helps. I mean I'm not expecting to see an Aaron Brooks article headlining ESPN any time soon.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#30 » by GYK » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:26 pm

Bill Bradley wrote:

All you have to do is observe Lin when Melo, Harden, and Kobe were on the court versus out with injury to know that it wasn't a fluke. Lin has had a nice string of games lately since Kobe is out and Scott has decided to play him more. Like the article said, Lin can put up big numbers when he can be the primary ball handler and he looks barely serviceable when he is not. D'Antoni's use of the pick and roll and PG dominant system was tailor made for Lin. If D'Antoni was coaching the Lakers now, I have no doubt that Lin would be looking like Linsanity again.

That's so many situations of not be successful when we seen star skillset players exist together fine. Currently too ball dominant players in Lebron and Kyrie.
Also extremely short spurts of success. It seems like a fluke.
beach house
Senior
And1: 1,044

Post#31 » by beach house » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:27 pm

EazyAsPie wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
EazyAsPie wrote:The only thing I get from this is Lin is obviously not good enough to be a starting PG in this league, and because of his amazing 3 week stretch 4 years ago he had an article written about him. I feel like he's a decent back up in this league and should be on a team in the NBA, but I just feel like they try to market him to be this great PG when he's not...I will admit I didn't read it thoroughly, but it's what I took away. :dontknow:

When is Dellavedova's "wishing he was better then he is" article coming out?

I think it would also be understandable if that stretch messed with his mind. As in, any time he's not excelling on the court, it's probably natural to wonder what you're doing wrong now, why you're failing now vs. the times you had success before, etc. He referenced it when he talked about getting that DNP in San Antonio. A lot of quality bench players get DNP's from time to time, but it became a lot heavier for him.

So you read about him staying up late at night, and it feels like more than just wanting to be better, it's about trying to become what you were at one point, and feeling frustrated or like a failure if you don't. And also hearing a lot of criticism and trolling if you don't as well. Obviously anyone with pride in their skills is going to see the cup as half-full, that there were reasons for his success and that it wasn't a fluke. Not to mention the whole Asian-American thing, which can add additional burden if you feel like you're not just playing for yourself, but you're representing an entire community.

Hopefully he'll find a good fit in the offseason, not to become a star, but simply to find a good place in the NBA for himself. He's got to be able to embrace everything that's happened, the cup has been both alternatingly full and empty for him, but still the opportunity to look back later on his playing days and go, "Wow what an experience."

Great post. I agree with you on everything that you have said. I guess I'm just confused on why an avg pg in the league has a huge article on the front page of ESPN. No doubt he could be a key player off the bench for a championship caliber team. I just feel like because he is Asian-American they try blowing him up to be something he's not, and I think in the long run it hurts him more then it helps. I mean I'm not expecting to see an Aaron Brooks article headlining ESPN any time soon.

lin getting more hype than he deserves because he's asian isnt really a big deal considering asians get shafted throughout american society.

an asian gets paid 10-15% less than a white person for the same job
asians have to score 100s of points higher on SATs and have higher gpa's than white counterparts to get into the same elite colleges
asians are persistently portrayed poorly in the media and are the last remaining race where its still somehow pc to make fun of them
asians commit 4-5 times less crimes per person than white people but dont get acknowledged for that
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#32 » by DickGrayson » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:34 pm

Da1RealRapsFan wrote:Byron Scott is just absolute **** garbage. No idea how Derek fisher was ranked below him. Derek fisher is trying to win games it genuinely seems like Byron has some sort of mental challenge.

What he's doing in LA is like a baseball manager coming in and saying his players are going to travel by train like the olden days.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using RealGM Forums mobile app

He's not a bad coach, had a great run in NOH and NJN. Has a good record in the playoffs.
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,621

Post#33 » by ishoy123 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:37 pm

Bill Bradley wrote:

This is actually true for many point guards. It's the same reason Dragic wanted out of Phoenix, because he felt he was being used just as a spot up shooter.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#34 » by GYK » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:49 pm

ishoy123 wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:

This is actually true for many point guards. It's the same reason Dragic wanted out of Phoenix, because he felt he was being used just as a spot up shooter.

Dragon was still successful.
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#35 » by Cycklops » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:04 pm

CablexDeadpool wrote:

What are you talking about?

Why would James and Wade be jealous of JEREMY LIN. Wade and James are NBA Superstars, MVP canidates, been to the FInals...

Lebron wanted to be a beloved global icon and ended up just having a bunch of people bitching him out on Twitter. Meanwhile Lin shows up and in a handful of games rockets toward that status. I can imagine that would frustrate someone like Lebron a lot.

Actually, it's almost the exact same thing that happened with Jordan and Pippen against Toni Kukoc in the '92 Olympics after Krause hyped Kukoc up.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#36 » by dorkestra » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:05 pm

I know most people are not that big on Mike D, and I have never been either. But I feel like he deserves a good amount of credit for unleashing Steve Nash. He is responsible for some of the most enjoyable basketball I watched during those years.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#37 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:13 pm

EazyAsPie wrote:Great post. I agree with you on everything that you have said. I guess I'm just confused on why an avg pg in the league has a huge article on the front page of ESPN. No doubt he could be a key player off the bench for a championship caliber team. I just feel like because he is Asian-American they try blowing him up to be something he's not, and I think in the long run it hurts him more then it helps. I mean I'm not expecting to see an Aaron Brooks article headlining ESPN any time soon.

Thanks. The original Linsanity thing (I mean 2 SI covers in successive weeks!) which in itself was partially fueled by his ethnicity, means some attention will always follow him, even as a relatively nondescript guard on a bad team this year. If he never had that Linsanity stretch and had just been a backup/starter type his whole career, there would still be some attention on him, but a lot less.

I think major media covers him a lot less now, this was more like revisiting him after some time away (which was the author's angle). It's only at RealGM I think that there is constant discussion of him on his team's board.

As an Asian-American, it's honestly hard for me to take a step back and try to evaluate him objectively. And so I root for him, while trying to be objective about his skills as a player, not overanalyze too much, and not make a huge deal out of the rest of the hoopla here (i.e. Lin/Anti-Lin, etc.)

beach house wrote:lin getting more hype than he deserves because he's asian isnt really a big deal considering asians get shafted throughout american society.

an asian gets paid 10-15% less than a white person for the same job
asians have to score 100s of points higher on SATs and have higher gpa's than white counterparts to get into the same elite colleges
asians are persistently portrayed poorly in the media and are the last remaining race where its still somehow pc to make fun of them
asians commit 4-5 times less crimes per person than white people but dont get acknowledged for that

Hey, at least we have a sitcom now!
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#38 » by cksdayoff » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:34 pm

could you imagine Lin running the point in Brett Brown's system with Noel and Embiid in the front court salivating for easy buckets. Get a running mate like D'Angelo Russell or Mario Hezonja and the Sixers would be so entertaining to watch. Sixers also have nice young talent at the SF spot like Jerami Grant and Robert Covington. Not saying Lin would be a long term solution, but if all else fails he could be a great spark off the bench
#failforfultz
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#39 » by cksdayoff » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:37 pm

sogood wrote:Byron is terrible. He **** played Ronnie Price over Lin.

Link that sink in.

Byron's job is to tank so the organization can get Okafor.
#failforfultz
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#40 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:37 pm

D'Antoni is an offensive mastermind. He knows offense really well. I think he should have gotten to the finals with Steve Nash and his SSOL system.

Return to The General Board