Are we witnessing a historically great team in the Warriors?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Re: 

Post#61 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:39 pm

NBAfan3024 wrote:Baby steps. .need to.win it all to be one

So far the Warriors have a formula which works in regular season. Aggressive defense and an offensive push to break the will of the other team which leads to run away wins.

The key is if that formula extends to playoff basketball. If the Warriors are able to dominate a couple of rounds in the playoffs then I would say that they are setup to be a dominant team over the next 5-7 years.

Let's just say for now they are having one of the top 10 regular season runs in history and THAT alone is pretty awesome.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
stjf
Junior
And1: 133

Re: Are we witnessing a historically great team in the Warriors? 

Post#62 » by stjf » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:24 pm

kodo wrote:Nobody remembers or even cares about differential stats.

Off the top of your head without looking it up on the internet, what was the season differential of the Kobe/Shaq Lakers threepeat team? I have no idea.

GSW will win at least as many games as the 09 Cavs (66) or 07 Mavericks (67) and nobody really cares or brings up those teams as historically significant teams.

What people are saying is true, lasting historic significance only comes from the postseason.

As veterans say, the real season only starts in April.

To your point, nobody remembers that the 07 Mavericks were 0-3 in the regular season against the team that would eliminate them in the opening playoff round. The pre-trade Warriors won the first matchup @Dallas by 3, though they had a 10 point lead with 2 minutes to go. Round 2, after the trade for Jackson and Harrington, was in Oakland and the Warriors won by 17, and had a 29 point lead to start the 4th quarter. The final game, game 81 for both teams, was in Oakland and the Mavericks chose to rest their starters; the Warriors, still in a fight with the Clippers for the 8th spot, jumped out to 24 point halftime lead and ultimately won by 29 points. Had that Warriors squad not gotten so hot at the end (9-1 to end the season), had the Clippers not had a collapse at the end (3-5 to end the season, including a loss vs the Mavericks starters); had the Mavericks chosen to rest vs the Clippers and fight vs the Warriors, a Clippers-Warriors tie at the end of the season would have sent Los Angeles to the playoffs, and perhaps Dallas further into the post season (Utah, the probable second round matchup, was the only other team to win a season series vs Dallas).

The 09 Cavs were knocked out in the ECF by a 59-win Magic team that was #1 in defensive rating, who won the season series vs Cleveland (Lakers being the only other team to do so), and had knocked out a 62-win Celtics that was #2 in defensive rating and were defending champs. Even if Cleveland made it past Orlando, they were in line for a matchup against a 65-win Lakers team. That Cavs team may have had a high margin of victory, but they hardly towered above the rest of the league like this year's Warriors, who are #1 in so many offensive and defensive categories, will likely be 10-15 wins better than every team except Atlanta, and have a 10+ point victory against 27 of 29 teams (Boston and Brooklyn being the exceptions, though the Warriors were very close to adding them to the group).

I completely agree that this Warriors team has to win the championship for any of the regular season accomplishments to matter. We may look back at this season and see Atlanta as a team not as good as their record (how many times have they been blown out?), and I believe the doubt which is surrounding the Atlanta team is being passed along to the Warriors as well, as if they're both just paper tigers. The playoffs will prove who these teams really are. A review of the Warriors season, lost games and close wins, suggests they were actually a serious threat to break the 72-win record, pending how they close the year over the final 9 games. It's going to be a shame if the Warriors don't win the title; i'd even call it a disappointment if they struggle along the way to winning (they should take every series in 6 games or less, if they are a historically great team).
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#63 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:35 pm

Speaking of the 2007 Mavs, Avery Johnson tanking specifically to face his team's least favorable matchup in the first round has to be one of the worst coaching moves of all time, right? Then on top of that, he panicked and went small, despite having benefited from Popovich making the exact same mistake against Dallas the previous year.
Manute Lol
Sixth Man
And1: 2,252

Post#64 » by Manute Lol » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:40 pm

Kawhi M8 wrote:Exactly.
Not very smart basketball tbh

They've been resting people for months now. Not a very smart post tbh.
antistrat wrote:What Golden State isn't realizing is that their offense has been neutralized. It isn't coming back. Cleveland is too long, too athletic, too fast, too gritty and too smart as a team.
FirstInkTDot
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,902

Post#65 » by FirstInkTDot » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:46 pm

If they don't win a chip, they'll just be forgotten.
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,911

Post#66 » by bape_lovers » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:50 pm

hopefully they do well, really want to see Bron Vs Warriors

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,293

Post#67 » by Black Jack » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:51 pm

FirstInkTDot wrote:If they don't win a chip, they'll just be forgotten.

This team has years left to win a championship. Stop pretending this is a one time thing.

I can see even if we don't take it this year, in a year or two a big name / in-his-prime free agent looks at a Curry/Klay/Green core and decides that's the best place to win a ring. And even if that doesn't happen, the core is good enough to stay in contention for years to come.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
DemonLizard
Junior
And1: 280

Post#68 » by DemonLizard » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:56 pm

I think they had an amazing regular season, but i don't see them winning a championship.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,483

Post#69 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:30 pm

kodo wrote:Nobody remembers or even cares about differential stats.

Off the top of your head without looking it up on the internet, what was the season differential of the Kobe/Shaq Lakers threepeat team? I have no idea.

GSW will win at least as many games as the 09 Cavs (66) or 07 Mavericks (67) and nobody really cares or brings up those teams as historically significant teams.

What people are saying is true, lasting historic significance only comes from the postseason.

As veterans say, the real season only starts in April.

Fundamentally my issue with this thinking is this:

The drunk at the bar deserves no voice. We all know that there are tons of sports fans around, and most of them are idiots. Not in their every day life, but when it comes to sports, very few actually apply their brain to doing anything more than parroting narratives other people came up for them. I don't care how many millions of them there are, their opinion matters no more than my dog's.

By that same token, it matter not if none of us remember what a particular differential was, our memories don't define how good a team was, their play does.

You want to say the Warriors won't be remembered as all-time great by most because most will simply go by W-L record, that's fine, as long as you follow that up by saying: "but of course, I don't limit my thinking based on anything so superficial."

None of this means I disagree with the statements about the post-season though. People go a bit overboard with narrative finding a way to pull apart teams simply because they happened to lose, but when we talk about GOAT teams, it's something of a given that they have to take on all comers.

And this is especially true for any unorthodox team. Draymond Green is the main guy I'm looking at here. He's done phenomenal as power forward for the Warriors this season, but if in a 7-game series opponents can adjust and bully him, and this means the Warriors end up losing to, say, a team like the Grizzlies with two very strong bigs, well then it's tough to look at them as historically great.

Last note: Losing to the Spurs shouldn't necessarily be seen in the same category. Obviously if the Warriors lose that's a knock, but we've seen how good the Spurs got last post-season. If they play like that again, then people shouldn't talk about the Warriors disappointing, they should talk about the Spurs' greatness. Conceivably the Cavs could fall under the same umbrella, though I'm not willing to say that yet.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#70 » by laika » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:42 pm

I find it amusing that so many people are confident the Warriors won't win the championship.

Here are the simple facts- 7 teams in NBA history have been about as good as the Warriors this year. 6 of those won the title.

Could they lose? Yes. But I would bet on the Warriors.
kaiballz
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Post#71 » by kaiballz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:36 am

laika wrote:I find it amusing that so many people are confident the Warriors won't win the championship.

Here are the simple facts- 7 teams in NBA history have been about as good as the Warriors this year. 6 of those won the title.

we certainly are the favourites. anyone who claims otherwise is either stupid or delusional.
kaiballz wrote:if anyone can make this comeback (3-1), we can.

I believe in this team.

Wed May 25, 2016 (GSW vs OKC)
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#72 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:16 am

No nothing historically about 64 win team at best. Unless they win all 9 games. Then ok
Youkilledrock
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#73 » by Youkilledrock » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:00 am

for the franchise..i don't think it's anything too amazing in terms of nba history..they've just won a lot of games..
Kawhi M8
Banned User
And1: 430

Post#74 » by Kawhi M8 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:08 am

Warriors fans starting to show some weaknesses
Westbreezy
Pro Prospect
And1: 951

Post#75 » by Westbreezy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:42 am

laika wrote:I find it amusing that so many people are confident the Warriors won't win the championship.

Almost no one is saying that

People are saying that they need to win the championship in order to be remembered as a historically great team, big difference. I personally think no one will even take them to a game 7 on their way to the championship-- but at the same time I acknowledge that anything can happen in the playoffs and Golden State hasn't traditionally been lucky with Bogut's health
dub81 wrote:Byron had to do one of two things this year: Either win games or develop the youth. Swung and missed wildly on both.

Lakers 2015-16 Season in a Nutshell
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#76 » by NBAfan3024 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:47 am

Kawhi M8 wrote:Warriors fans starting to show some weaknesses

Such as what exactly? nobody is saying we are a lock. We fancy our chances. Nothing wrong with that.
JesusHCoxMd
Analyst
And1: 2,528

Post#77 » by JesusHCoxMd » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:19 am

kaiballz wrote:
Master Ze wrote:The Warriors appear to have all the tools to be a contender- superstar player(s), deep bench, rim protection, etc.

But the West has other super teams that could upset them.

really?
houston is really badly matched up against gsw. i believe a houston fan posted a nice analysis
okc's king is out
memphis is in meltdown
portland's king is out
there's always spurs though, but that would be only 1 super team (not teams)

What I've learned from past 5 years is never discount any West team in the playoffs. Oh and if you have to play Spurs...
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#78 » by killacalijatt » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:34 am

As a Warriors fan who has seen this team go a decade of horrendous basketball, im truelly happy to finally have something to cheer for. If dnt win it this year its ol. People forget this is only the 3rd season the dubs have made the playoffs in a row.
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#79 » by JimmyTD3 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:07 am

JesusHCoxMd wrote:What I've learned from past 5 years is never discount any West team in the playoffs. Oh and if you have to play Spurs...

How have you learned that from the past 5 years when every West team to reach the Finals was either a 1,2, or 3 seed.
Kawhi M8
Banned User
And1: 430

Post#80 » by Kawhi M8 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:13 am

NBAfan3024 wrote:
Kawhi M8 wrote:Warriors fans starting to show some weaknesses

Such as what exactly? nobody is saying we are a lock. We fancy our chances. Nothing wrong with that.

Calling people stupid and delusional for not thinking the Warriors will win it all haha

Return to The General Board