Who's up for a March Madness style NBA Bracket Contest!?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

gustofwind
Rookie
And1: 649

Who's up for a March Madness style NBA Bracket Contest!? 

Post#1 » by gustofwind » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:44 am

Anyone interested?

My suggestion for rules:

1) Everyone writes a bracket (due Friday midnight Pacific Standard Time) predicting the outcome of each playoff series prior to the beginning of the playoffs. So, this truly is March Madness style - no predictions by round. If you guess a champion that is eliminated in the first round, that's that. No going back. At the end of the playoffs, whoever has the most accurate predictions wins!

2) I don't have the authority to offer prizes, but if enough people show sufficient interest maybe we could convince the moderators to come up with something. At the very least this person would have to receive special recognition. Perhaps a "top ten" list could be drafted as well. I think, even without a literal prize, pride of knowing you won and having your name posted on a victory thread should provide some kind of incentive. Any other ideas?

3) Now, given that the realistic number of possible outcomes, we need to agree to a way to break ties.

My suggestion: a two-tier system. Priority scoring first given to correct prediction of playoff series. Ties then broken by accurate predictions of the number of games each series lasts.

Some may prefer points given equally to correctly predicted series winners and correctly predicted games played in each series. I don't like that idea personally because I think game number predictions should be less important. Plus, frankly it would be much harder to count points earned.

4) I would be happy to help count the results, but would like volunteers to help me count the results. It would be better to have a committee of at least 5-8 counters. (I'm hoping for a turn out of at least 50 posters.)

5) Anyone interested in being on the counting committee would need to print out the predictions (or save them somehow) by the deadline. This would enforce the deadline.

6) I'm open to allowing people to change their predictions up to the deadline date. If you want to post something now, and then change it Friday night, that's cool by me.

What do all of you think? To make this worthwhile, I'd like to see at least 25 participants.

If moderators like the idea and want to commandeer this thread that's cool too. I just think it would be a fun idea.

:D :) :lol:

If you're interested in at least participating as a "predictor" (rather than a counter and/or a predictor) feel free to post your predictions on this thread whenever. You can edit it up to the deadline.

Lastly, unless there is significant dissent, or unless the moderators want to take over this project, I will use the rules I've posted here.
think peaceful thoughts :meditate:
Ursusamericanus
Veteran
And1: 2,594

Re: Who's up for a March Madness style NBA Bracket Contest!? 

Post#2 » by Ursusamericanus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:48 am

I'm down.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,746

Re: Who's up for a March Madness style NBA Bracket Contest!? 

Post#3 » by durden_tyler » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:54 am

Make it a money league and am in!
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.

Return to The General Board