Baseball player Andrew McCutchen's pay stub has helped me understand Latrell Sprewell's "feed my family" quote

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,269

Re: Baseball player Andrew McCutchen's pay stub has helped me understand Latrell ... 

Post#21 » by Dan Z » Sat May 23, 2015 1:55 am

Hawks champs wrote:Just want to point out that these guys earning window is much smaller than most people. Generally only about ten years or so vs the 40+ years most of us have. If you adjust for the time frame it really isn't as much as it seems.

Why can't he earn money when he's done playing major league baseball? He can't do anything else?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Re: Baseball player Andrew McCutchen's pay stub has helped me understand Latrell ... 

Post#22 » by Coxy » Sat May 23, 2015 1:59 am

Hawks champs wrote:Just want to point out that these guys earning window is much smaller than most people. Generally only about ten years or so vs the 40+ years most of us have. If you adjust for the time frame it really isn't as much as it seems.

Yes, but if your not a complete wank stain you can invest the enormous sums of money you earn in that 10 years to live the rest of your days like Hugh Hefner, PLUS be involved in the game forever in either a coaching, broadcasting, development, scouting, training, educating, management roles or any number of global opportunities that the NBA/MLB or sports world would offer because of your professional career.

Never feel sorry for this sort of thing. The world is your oyster if you have serious sporting ability and it reaches far beyond on the court/field whatever. You must be truly idiotic to screw it up.
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Re: Baseball player Andrew McCutchen's pay stub has helped me understand Latrell Sprewell's "feed my family" quote 

Post#23 » by GANGSTERDOG » Sat May 23, 2015 2:05 am

hes from where im from. i make more than him. He needs to get paid. hes an allstar!
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Re: Baseball player Andrew McCutchen's pay stub has helped me understand Latrell Sprewell's "feed my family" quote 

Post#24 » by PKABOOICU » Sat May 23, 2015 2:11 am

what he makes in merely 2 weeks, I barely make in a year
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#25 » by Nolan » Sat May 23, 2015 2:13 am

Welcome to reality. About half of your salary goes to the government.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#26 » by frothbrain » Sat May 23, 2015 2:31 am

dear OP, grow up. income tax is around 50% for high earners. budget accordingly.
As a baseball player his income is insane and he gets a bunch of perks to go with it.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#27 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sat May 23, 2015 2:32 am

Inevitable wrote:I really feel bad that he could buy my house every two weeks if he wanted.

Nice subtle brag :lol:
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,071

Post#28 » by Sixerscan » Sat May 23, 2015 2:35 am

Dan Z wrote:What's the "Pittsburgh Professional Athlete Fee"? He paid $26,000 for it so far.

Probably a special tax on pro athletes that play games in Pittsburgh. Many cities have it.

Many states also have a Jock Tax on visiting players. (Which explains all the random states on the stub) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_tax

Athletes definitely get hit a little harder than your average millionaires. No one is feeling sorry for them though.
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#29 » by Inevitable » Sat May 23, 2015 2:37 am

Nuggets_Talk wrote:
Inevitable wrote:I really feel bad that he could buy my house every two weeks if he wanted.

Nice subtle brag :lol:

That's about the average cost of a house in Toronto and its nothing special at all. :nonono:
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,269

Post#30 » by Dan Z » Sat May 23, 2015 2:37 am

Sixerscan-

It sounds like a BS tax that the Government put in place simply because they can. But I agree with you, professional athletes make so much money that in the end I don't feel sorry for them.
Hawks champs
Junior
And1: 100

Baseball player Andrew McCutchen's pay stub has helped me understand Latrell ... 

Post#31 » by Hawks champs » Sat May 23, 2015 2:38 am

Coxy wrote:

Yes, but if your not a complete wank stain you can invest the enormous sums of money you earn in that 10 years to live the rest of your days like Hugh Hefner, PLUS be involved in the game forever in either a coaching, broadcasting, development, scouting, training, educating, management roles or any number of global opportunities that the NBA/MLB or sports world would offer because of your professional career.

Never feel sorry for this sort of thing. The world is your oyster if you have serious sporting ability and it reaches far beyond on the court/field whatever. You must be truly idiotic to screw it up.

I more meant the average joe player that earns mid 6 figures a year, only went a couple years in college, won't have any broadcast type jobs. Most of these guys pay for their house, car, wedding and whatnot, and end up with a million or so to live on for a long time.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#32 » by Sixerscan » Sat May 23, 2015 2:40 am

Hawks champs wrote:
Coxy wrote:

I more meant the average joe player that earns mid 6 figures a year, only went a couple years in college, won't have any broadcast type jobs. Most of these guys pay for their house, car, wedding and whatnot, and end up with a million or so to live on for a long time.

Their max earning window may only a small period of time, but it's not like these guys can't find alternative means of income after they give up the game. The smart ones plan for that.
BKing10
Sixth Man
And1: 914

Post#33 » by BKing10 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:43 am

Sixerscan wrote:
Dan Z wrote:What's the "Pittsburgh Professional Athlete Fee"? He paid $26,000 for it so far.

Probably a special tax on pro athletes that play games in Pittsburgh. Many cities have it.

Many states also have a Jock Tax on visiting players. (Which explains all the random states on the stub) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_tax

Athletes definitely get hit a little harder than your average millionaires. No one is feeling sorry for them though.

They have to pay income tax based on where the game was paid. So at the end of the year he will end up paying income tax to most MLB states. I find it funny that we give the owners tax breaks, build stadiums, etc but still try and nickel and dime the players.
Hawks champs
Junior

Baseball player Andrew McCutchen's pay stub has helped me understand Latrell ... 

Post#34 » by Hawks champs » Sat May 23, 2015 2:43 am

Sixerscan wrote:
Hawks champs wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Their max earning window may only a small period of time, but it's not like these guys can't find alternative means of income after they give up the game. The smart ones plan for that.

I understand what yall are saying and I would never be broke after playing pro sports, just saying that it's a lot easier to do than most give credit for.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#35 » by Sixerscan » Sat May 23, 2015 2:46 am

BKing10 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

They have to pay income tax based on where the game was paid. So at the end of the year he will end up paying income tax to most MLB states. I find it funny that we give the owners tax breaks, build stadiums, etc but still try and nickel and dime the players.

Makes sense, the owners are the one negotiating these stadium deals and have long term relationships with these cities. City wants to make some of that money back somehow, and the players are much more transitory by comparison (Especially the visiting players, obviously)
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,148

Post#36 » by tiderulz » Sat May 23, 2015 2:47 am

BKing10 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

the owners are paying taxes in those states too. I used to work for a consulting firm that had national contracts. I routinely paid multiple state taxes, but my employer did too, since i was performing work for them in those states.
Hawks champs
Junior

Post#37 » by Hawks champs » Sat May 23, 2015 2:48 am

Sixerscan wrote:
BKing10 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Makes sense, the owners are the one negotiating these stadium deals and have long term relationships with these cities. City wants to make some of that money back somehow, and the players are much more transitory by comparison (Especially the visiting players, obviously)

A traveling salesman still has to pay sales tax in each state. It's pretty much the same thing.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#38 » by Sixerscan » Sat May 23, 2015 2:49 am

tiderulz wrote:
BKing10 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

the owners are paying taxes in those states too. I used to work for a consulting firm that had national contracts. I routinely paid multiple state taxes, but my employer did too, since i was performing work for them in those states.

Many owners get a pretty sweetheart deal actually. Public financed stadiums being the most egregious example. No city/state legislature wants to be the reason the local sports team moved away.
nbhadja
Sixth Man
And1: 1,148

Post#39 » by nbhadja » Sat May 23, 2015 2:51 am

It's still wayyyyyyyyy more because they get paid so much more than an average person in just one season let alone 10 years.

With just 2 million earned in one season that is the equivalent of a person working 40 years earning 50,000 a year. let alone 15 million in one season like McCutchen is making this season..but actually it's even much better when you adjust time value of money.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#40 » by Coxy » Sat May 23, 2015 2:54 am

Hawks champs wrote:
Coxy wrote:

:o

Any decent financial investor can set up someone earning mid 6 figure sums of money to live like a star for the rest of their days. That's not including any endorsement deals that the player may sign as well. After his career finishes, EVERY player can get a coaching gig somewhere in the world. Doesn't have to be broadcasting. There are so many positions for players after they retire within the sporting landscape it's ridiculous, and they would command the very top end salary wherever they went because of their status.

Most have to pay for their house, car, wedding?????? What? A car is like 10K. A wedding is like 2k A house is WELL within their budget as well. With that cash, you could own 4 outright by the time you retired.

BS. These guys just **** up if they can't live like a king after retirement.

Return to The General Board