David Blatt is a good coach, incredible underrated

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,449

Re: David Blatt is a good coach, incredible underrated 

Post#121 » by jowglenn » Sun May 24, 2015 6:26 pm

Imagine if they had hired Brad Stephens instead of David Blatt. Holy ****.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#122 » by improper » Sun May 24, 2015 6:29 pm

j_n wrote:Blatt isnt even the coach, Lebron has the power to call plays and change them, when has that ever happend that a player would just decide what to do in the middle of a play? do you think Pop would just allow Parker to run a pick n roll with Duncan and simplyt decide to pull up for a jumper if the defense stay on Duncan? Blatt shouldnt even get a salary.

If Parker is open, I'm sure Popovic would be fine with him taking the pull up jumper. Not every play in a basketball game is some meticulously designed strategy. Good coaches train their players to make the correct decisions in the moment, regardless of what was diagrammed, and trust them to make the right call more often than not.

Also, if you don't think that Duncan has the power to change play calls, you're incredibly naive. Every star player in the NBA has that power.

jowglenn wrote:Imagine if they had hired Brad Stephens instead of David Blatt. Holy ****.

I mean, could the Cavs really be in a better position right now than up 2-0 against a sixty win Atlanta team without Kevin Love or Kyrie Irving? They're statistically the best defensive team in the playoffs, and are shutting down a Hawks team that was the sixth ranked offense in the regular season. It's hard to imagine Stevens doing much better than that.
playoffs
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,953

Post#123 » by playoffs » Sun May 24, 2015 6:40 pm

jowglenn wrote:Imagine if they had hired Brad Stephens instead of David Blatt. Holy ****.

Obviously, had they hired Brad Stephens they would've gone 16-0 in the playoffs with an average victory margin of 50 points. If they hired Brad Stevens, however, they wouldn't be doing any better than they are now. Most likely worse.
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#124 » by Madhouse » Sun May 24, 2015 6:44 pm

Holy **** would be the thinking of Cavs fans or Holy fishing.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/TcId6T ... cs.0.0.png
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#125 » by j_n » Sun May 24, 2015 9:10 pm

playoffs wrote:
j_n wrote:Blatt isnt even the coach, Lebron has the power to call plays and change them, when has that ever happend that a player would just decide what to do in the middle of a play? do you think Pop would just allow Parker to run a pick n roll with Duncan and simplyt decide to pull up for a jumper if the defense stay on Duncan? Blatt shouldnt even get a salary.

Yes, because MJ, Magic, Bird, Kobe, etc. always asked their coaches for permission before deciding what to do on the court...

How long have you been watching basketball?

Ok, since three posters didnt understand I was being sarcastic in my post, I guess I should have phrased it better.
I was just mocking the ESPN article and the perception on RealGM that Blatt isnt really the coach because he allow his players to adjust plays when they break down or call their own plays when they recognize mismatches.

Im from Israel and probably watched more Maccabi games under Blatt than anyone else here, I think its ridiculous how little credit he gets mainly because ESPN has no idea that players actually make decisions on the court and not just follow what the coach said on every single play so they created the story that Blatt isnt really calling the shots.

If it was Phil Jackson coaching the Cavs than the story of Blatt taking his players bowling instead of practice(which coincidentally started the Cavs turnaround) would have been the story that the media would try to sell and most posters here would attribute their success the brilliant Zen master and his mind games.
playoffs
Bench Warmer

Post#126 » by playoffs » Sun May 24, 2015 9:33 pm

j_n wrote:
playoffs wrote:

Yes, because MJ, Magic, Bird, Kobe, etc. always asked their coaches for permission before deciding what to do on the court...

Ok, since three posters didnt understand I was being sarcastic in my post, I guess I should have phrased it better.
I was just mocking the ESPN article and the perception on RealGM that Blatt isnt really the coach because he allow his players to adjust plays when they break down or call their own plays when they recognize mismatches.

Im from Israel and probably watched more Maccabi games under Blatt than anyone else here, I think its ridiculous how little credit he gets mainly because ESPN has no idea that players actually make decisions on the court and not just follow what the coach said on every single play so they created the story that Blatt isnt really calling the shots.

If it was Phil Jackson coaching the Cavs than the story of Blatt taking his players bowling instead of practice(which coincidentally started the Cavs turnaround) would have been the story that the media would try to sell and most posters here would attribute their success the brilliant Zen master and his mind games.

Yea, sarcasm doesn't always come through, especially when these types of comments are actually seriously being made by "respected journalists".

And speaking of the bowling trip, the Cavs are 5-0 in the playoffs since Yoga...
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,410

Post#127 » by Mr Loggins » Sun May 24, 2015 9:55 pm

Green font?
bmann626
Senior
And1: 456

Post#128 » by bmann626 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:13 am

Everybody is praising his defensive mind (rightfully so) but on offense he let's guys be themselves. The reason JR is doing so well is he said himself that the coaches let us be us. It us not forcing guys into a system it is letting everybody play their strengths. JRs strength is bomb 3 balls in rhythem and Blatt let's him do that. Some games he will go 2-11 from 3 but he doesn't care because he knows JR will come back and payy off with 8 made 3s.

Its give and take and Blatt knows how to use his players strengths very impressively. He let's lebron and Kyrie iso-ball because that's what they are best at. He let's Delly and Tristan work the pick and roll because that's what they are best at. He plays Shump in the off guard role and he has the freedom to take any shot he in comfy with. He let's Mozzy flare out and hit jumpers because he can draw the defense away from the hoop for easy shots.

Blatt is a really really good coach and it is NOT all lebron making decisions. U wouldn't be surprised in 2-3 years if Blatt is considered in the elite of NBA coaches and rightfully so. Plus he has a awesome coach Pop esque I don't give a flying duck attitude in pressers and its awesome lol
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,980

Post#129 » by GSP » Fri May 29, 2015 5:46 am

Hydroponic3385 wrote:Blatt was never known overseas as an offensive genius first. He was known as a defensive genius, and a guy who adjusts his offensive schemes according to his team's talents. The U.S. media incorrectly pegged him as an offensive guru, and incorrectly pegged his offense is "Princeton offense", and therefore most fans have a false idea of who he is as a coach.

The guy gets little to no credit for the amazing job he's done this season, particularly during the playoffs. Taking this decimated team and transforming them into a defensive beast and putting all the roleplayers in a great position to excel? Just awesome. Not to mention the fact that he's outcoached all the media darlings these playoffs (Stevens, Thibs, Budenholzer). If (*if*) the Cavs face the Warriors in the finals, he'll get a shot to complete the coach-media-darling tour with COY Steve Kerr.

Blatt, the entire coaching staff, and the guys on the floor all deserve close to equal credit IMO.

Blatt did not outcoach Brad, he just has far better talent to work with.
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#130 » by EscapoTHB » Fri May 29, 2015 5:54 am

I think Blatt will be fired this summer. He seems way over his head, and it doesn't look like the team even listens to him. Which is good, because if they did they would have called that timeout they didn't have in the Bulls series, and had Lebron inbounding the ball on a last second shot instead of in the game to hit the game winner. There are serious questions as to whether he makes this team better or not. And if he's not making the team better--then he at the very least has to be easy to work for--and it doesn't seem like he and Lebron are on the same page at all.

Mark Jackson would make more sense as the coach for the team because he's good at being a figurehead coach--which is all they need, because Lebron doesn't seem at all interested in being coached at this stage of his career.
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#131 » by EscapoTHB » Fri May 29, 2015 6:02 am

j_n wrote:
playoffs wrote:

What about the way Cavs play tells you that they are implementing any kind of philosophy from Blatt? At least with the Heat, you knew they were still playing Heat basketball because of how they attacked the pick and roll--and they played like how Spo said they would to start seasons--when he said they were going to pace and space--they went to pace and space.

We were told Blatt was all about ball movement and the Cavs are a complete iso team. People say that's Blatt giving the players freedom--but what's the difference between that and the players just doing what Lebron tells them to do?

With the Heat they got Lebron to do things he doesn't want to do as a player--primarily playing as a power forward and playing out of the post.

With the Cavs he's back on the perimeter holding onto the ball all possession.

We'll see how effective this style is against a real team in the finals.

And is their uptick in defense in the playoffs a result of coaching, or a result of Love and Irving being out of the lineup more and being replaced by better defenders?
playoffs
Bench Warmer

Post#132 » by playoffs » Fri May 29, 2015 6:03 am

EscapoTHB wrote:I think Blatt will be fired this summer. He seems way over his head, and it doesn't look like the team even listens to him. Which is good, because if they did they would have called that timeout they didn't have in the Bulls series, and had Lebron inbounding the ball on a last second shot instead of in the game to hit the game winner. There are serious questions as to whether he makes this team better or not. And if he's not making the team better--then he at the very least has to be easy to work for--and it doesn't seem like he and Lebron are on the same page at all.

Mark Jackson would make more sense as the coach for the team because he's good at being a figurehead coach--which is all they need, because Lebron doesn't seem at all interested in being coached at this stage of his career.

I really don't understand why some posters feel the need to write posts like these. You just invested several minutes of your life to write this post even though you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and you know it. It's clear from your post that you haven't followed the Cavs this season, certainly not in the playoffs. You are just mindlessly repeating sensationalist "reporting" done by media members who are either clueless or have a hidden agenda. I won't even bother addressing your nonsense about Blatt and LeBron because it has already been addressed numerous times in this thread and elsewhere.
morol
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#133 » by morol » Fri May 29, 2015 7:59 am

I don't usualy play the game of what-if, but in this particular case I cannot stop thinking what the narrative would be if it was Kerr coaching the Cavs. Or any other US-based rookie coach for that matter. Right now, it looks like the immense success Blatt had overseas actually plays to his disadvantage. A rookie coach with a reigning MVP on his team gets all the credit, but an experienced one gets picked apart every time.
ohio
Starter
And1: 2,322

Re: 

Post#134 » by ohio » Fri May 29, 2015 8:07 am

morol wrote:I don't usualy play the game of what-if, but in this particular case I cannot stop thinking what the narrative would be if it was Kerr coaching the Cavs. Or any other US-based rookie coach for that matter. Right now, it looks like the immense success Blatt had overseas actually plays to his disadvantage. A rookie coach with a reigning MVP on his team gets all the credit, but an experienced one gets picked apart every time.

you mean his PERSONAL advantage?
Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#135 » by Alyosha12 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:45 am

EscapoTHB wrote:
j_n wrote:
playoffs wrote:

What about the way Cavs play tells you that they are implementing any kind of philosophy from Blatt? At least with the Heat, you knew they were still playing Heat basketball because of how they attacked the pick and roll--and they played like how Spo said they would to start seasons--when he said they were going to pace and space--they went to pace and space.

We were told Blatt was all about ball movement and the Cavs are a complete iso team. People say that's Blatt giving the players freedom--but what's the difference between that and the players just doing what Lebron tells them to do?

What about the way Cavs play tells you that they are implementing any kind of philosophy? Oh may be actually knowing how Blatts teams work and have worked in the past. You were told his teams were all about ball movement, but in reality that was BS, published by journalists who knew jack s"#$t about Blatt, all they knew was he was Princton guy, and liked that offense.

For anyone who has ever watched any of his teams for a season, we knew he always ISOd players who could ISO, and gave them all the freedom they needed to make their magic. In Maccabi it was Parker or Pargo, with Russia it was Kirilenko and Khryapa etc. He always did great with inferior teams. And it wasn't because of ball movement. It was because, he played to his players advantages. If he had a 3pt shooter, he had unlimited freedom to shoot, and also was put into position to be comfortable in for example David Blu, or Pnini garbage players in any other team, but in Maccabi they were pivotal. If he had players that loved to run, they were allowed to run to their heart content like Pargo for example and if he had ISO players they could ISO as much as they wanted like Parker and Langford and now Labron. If he has players who love to PnR then they can PnR like Papaloukas or Holden.

He is such a successful coach because he knows how to use his players and doesn't force his system onto them.
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#136 » by SportsGuy8 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:32 am

^ Yeah, pretty much. These things about Blatt are well known to most Europeans here.

The main problem here is that US "journalists" need something to write to keep their jobs, so since they were literally clueless about Blatt, they made some quick searches and then started writing their highly ignorant BS articles. Since the Cavs started this season with some major struggles, they started with this whole Blatt-LeBron narrative and when they realized how much such a narrative sells, they stuck with it. Then when some minor issue/incident happens (like that timeout), they start patting themselves on the back, ignoring all the evidence that points otherwise.

And since your average fans gets their news from these "experts" you have the current situation around Blatt ...
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#137 » by SportsGuy8 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:41 am

Btw., a post I wrote in SEPTEMBER about Blatt & timeouts (I'm really good at predicting things :P):
SportsGuy8 wrote:... there are probably going to be moments this season where Blatt looks like he's clueless - I bet we're going to see numerous situations earlier in the season when Blatt makes a mess with his timeouts, for example (by either not knowing how to correctly use all these extra timeouts, or by rambling to his team how opponents took "a BS timeout" when it was actually an official one).

What people don't understand is that most patterns get engraved into us deeply inside. Blatt was used for many, many years to a certain number of timeouts and also to different rules on when you can call them. So he comes to the NBA and at the beginning he called TOO FEW timeouts due to obvious reasons, so he made a conscious decision to force himself to use them more frequently.

Fast forward to that game vs. the Bulls. Now his consciousness ("use more timeouts") is trying to overrule his subconsciousness ("you have limited timeouts") and by doing that, it creates a moment, let's call it a brain-fart, where his consciousness went extreme and tried to overrule his subconsciousness too much. He was forcing himself for the whole season to call MORE timeouts, especially at the end of games, but by doing that, he forced it one time too much.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,676

Post#138 » by Roger Murdock » Fri May 29, 2015 11:18 am

Our execution on out of bounds plays this year has been exceptional. We are undefeated with 2 days rest. All the roster turnover and injuries yet everyone buys in and performs their role. He's an amazing coach at handling personalities, offense, and defense.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,124

Post#139 » by Ben-N1ce » Fri May 29, 2015 11:34 am

Just like Spo who carried the Heat to the 10th pick in a the strong East.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,072

Post#140 » by tidho » Fri May 29, 2015 12:32 pm

He has a twenty year track record of beating teams with more talent than he has, often for championships. Maybe that's a coincidence and it has nothing to do with Blatt, or maybe he actually knows what he's doing. Perhaps we'll never know.

Return to The General Board