The NBA's All Stars are breaking

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Has this season been tainted by injuries?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 41

jpm312
Rookie
And1: 1,964

Re: The NBA's All Stars are breaking 

Post#21 » by jpm312 » Mon Jun 8, 2015 12:10 am

Why is Curry's line blank?

He fell 6ft on his head. Missed a quarter.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,028

Post#22 » by Duffman100 » Mon Jun 8, 2015 12:50 am

12footrim wrote:
deanwoof wrote:But sports science.

I would honestly love to know how players like Wilt Chamberlin could play 45 minutes a game and all 82 games as a 36 year old 300lb man in canvas tennis shoes with early 1970 sports science and recovery and travel etc. This after years of wear and tear. Hell one season he played 48.5 minutes per game and many of the stars of this era and eventual other eras routinely played that and seemed to be more durable.

You could say the athletes of today are just bigger and stronger faster which puts more tork on their bodies I guess. I've also heard players have to work a lot harder on D today guarding the 3 point line even bigs but there are plenty of examples of far more durable players of past that were really large and many on that list are just guards. It is interesting.

I've even heard some speculate that playing the players less and giving them days off doesn't prepare them properly or condition their body when they have to go harder in the playoffs for example.

I don't think there is a clear answer and obviously their is luck and genetic factors that make a guy like Wilt so durable, but that durable? I think we obviously don't remember some of the injuries of the past as vividly as well.

I think we're starting to see the limit that we can push the human body.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#23 » by 12footrim » Mon Jun 8, 2015 1:12 am

Duffman100 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

I would honestly love to know how players like Wilt Chamberlin could play 45 minutes a game and all 82 games as a 36 year old 300lb man in canvas tennis shoes with early 1970 sports science and recovery and travel etc. This after years of wear and tear. Hell one season he played 48.5 minutes per game and many of the stars of this era and eventual other eras routinely played that and seemed to be more durable.

You could say the athletes of today are just bigger and stronger faster which puts more tork on their bodies I guess. I've also heard players have to work a lot harder on D today guarding the 3 point line even bigs but there are plenty of examples of far more durable players of past that were really large and many on that list are just guards. It is interesting.

I've even heard some speculate that playing the players less and giving them days off doesn't prepare them properly or condition their body when they have to go harder in the playoffs for example.

I don't think there is a clear answer and obviously their is luck and genetic factors that make a guy like Wilt so durable, but that durable? I think we obviously don't remember some of the injuries of the past as vividly as well.

I think we're starting to see the limit that we can push the human body.

But then you think of guys like Wilt chamberlain in LA as a physical specimen at probably 300lbs and 7 foot I doubt you can really push it much farther. Arnold Schwarzenegger said his strength was incredible too. Also a lot of those stars in the 60's and 70's not only played 45 minutes a game all 82 games they also played at much higher pace than todays game. It's crazy when you look at the possessions a game.

People make a lot out of Oscar Robertson averaging a triple double but look at his minutes and the crazy pace. Westbrook per possession was probably more impressive.

Westbrook OKC 95.7 pace
Oscar Cincy 124.9 pace

When you think about it how much more were these guys in the 60's running up and down the court and playing 44+ minutes like Robertson at that pace
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
elBJ
Pro Prospect
And1: 697

Post#24 » by elBJ » Mon Jun 8, 2015 1:20 am

12footrim wrote:

there is a clear cut answer to it! Wilt played 40+ minutes, because he could play well with 80% effort. Every percent you play closer to your limits will multiply the toll on your body.
It is overall a more physical game right now, harder sprints, higher jumps, less reaction time etc., which has to result in more wear and tear.
Guest202 wrote:Even Wall Street Journal subscribers think it was fixed...
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#25 » by deanwoof » Mon Jun 8, 2015 4:41 am

There are so many variables involved you can't really pin point to one thing.

My biggest is the time that is devoted to practicing, playing and other commitments. Back in the day, the teams flew commercial and rode buses. They didn't have the l"uxury" of flying from one city to another sleep, practice in the morning, watch tape, rest, come back for shoot around, then play game, then do media and repeat tomorrow again from October to Spring. These guys don't get time offs.

They're just constantly wearing down their bodies 24-7 to entertain us.
smallgains
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,369

Post#26 » by smallgains » Mon Jun 8, 2015 4:49 am

Basketball is the best workout for basketball players. More balls less weights.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#27 » by James40 » Mon Jun 8, 2015 5:11 am

I wonder if it's like baseball especially pitchers blowing out their elbows more than ever now. Kids are playing year round at one specific sport, instead of soccer in the Fall, basketball in the winter then baseball in the spring, more kids are sticking with one sport more than ever before and they are overworking certain tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.

Basketball is brutal on knees, lower backs, and feet, probably more than any other sport because of the hard surface it's played on. Playing it 9-10 months a year vs 3-4 months a year has to make a big difference on all those joints and backs.

Return to The General Board