The Cavaliers Money Situation

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Re: The Cavaliers Money Situation 

Post#61 » by Mr Loggins » Wed Jul 1, 2015 8:52 pm

Heat3 wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:
Heat3 wrote:
so you mean if the heat didn't amnesty mike miller that lebron wouldn't go back for the kids of NE Ohio? :lol:

this was all about power. lebron would never have this power anywhere else.

mike miller? yeah that was the catalyst :roll:

It didn't help.

And it further showed LeBron the difference between an owner willing to go all in and one who is not.

Has Wade been made whole yet, by the way?

:noway:

willing to go all in for what? putting a championship team on the court or all in to feed lebron's wants? the heat know what it takes to do the first. miller wasn't useful anymore for the first. he didn't do anything for the cavs last year either and will do less next year. that's ok if he's in a juwan howard at the end of the bench role. it doesn't help when your stars are out and you are undermanned in the nba finals.

lebron by himself isn't good enough to win a finals. keeping useless pieces around him might make him happy but it doesn't make the team any better.

as for wade, he'll get whatever he gets. i'm glad he doesn't have that kind of power to force this franchise to do whatever he wants. the people running it know what they are doing.

Miller had a decent year with Memphis after the heat cut him. Probably could have gotten run over some of the corpses you guys trotted out. But hay, Arison saved some coin so that's cool too
Birdie
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#62 » by Birdie » Wed Jul 1, 2015 8:53 pm

Heat3 wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:
Heat3 wrote:
so you mean if the heat didn't amnesty mike miller that lebron wouldn't go back for the kids of NE Ohio? :lol:

this was all about power. lebron would never have this power anywhere else.

mike miller? yeah that was the catalyst :roll:

It didn't help.

And it further showed LeBron the difference between an owner willing to go all in and one who is not.

Has Wade been made whole yet, by the way?

:noway:

willing to go all in for what? putting a championship team on the court or all in to feed lebron's wants? the heat know what it takes to do the first. miller wasn't useful anymore for the first. he didn't do anything for the cavs last year either and will do less next year. that's ok if he's in a juwan howard at the end of the bench role. it doesn't help when your stars are out and you are undermanned in the nba finals.

lebron by himself isn't good enough to win a finals. keeping useless pieces around him might make him happy but it doesn't make the team any better.

as for wade, he'll get whatever he gets. i'm glad he doesn't have that kind of power to force this franchise to do whatever he wants. the people running it know what they are doing.

I don't disagree with your premise but in hindsight, Memphis MM could've been awfully helpful to you guys that last year. I'm sure you guys and just about everyone else was surprised that MM was even still walking.

And did MIA not use the MLE for 2014 season to bring in another body? I thought I read that somewhere of a possible move they didn't do to add more talent?

In the end, water under the bridge, you guys more than re-loaded and pot committed now. If GOATside progresses further, MIA can't be slept on. No doubt.

It'll be good for the Eastern Conference. With PG13/IND possibly reloading, MIA back in the thick, WAS taking another step, TOR getting their heads out of their ass, ATL seems to be status quo, MIL gets Jabari and if they land a decent Center, CHI and a fully healthy D Rose, ORL/DET possibly knocking with their youth movement...East should be much funner to watch even though they're nowhere near the bloodbath that's gonna happen in the West seeing as most of the marquee guys, if they're moving are staying in the West.
Come at the king, you best not miss...
STA 13
Lead Assistant
And1: 361

The Cavaliers Money Situation 

Post#63 » by STA 13 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 8:55 pm

Lebron has one of the best supporting casts in modern history

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Scrapachenko
Senior
And1: 300

Post#64 » by Scrapachenko » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:00 pm

BIG_controversy wrote:
mg wrote:
BIG_controversy wrote:The NBA shouldn't allow

18 mil Kyrie
10 mil Andy
16 mil Tristan
20+ mil Lebronze
22 mil Love

How is this allowed under the cap lmao...that's well over 85 mil...they didn't even trade haywood yet and he makes 10 mil

But the nba wants teams on a level playing field right?

It's kind of ironic a Lakers fan would be complaining about this. The Buss paid their share of lux tax bills over the years for Kobe, Shaq, Bynum, Gasol, Odom, etc. They unlike the rest of the NBA also have a hundred million dollar local tv contract with Time Warner.

We would never be close to 100 mil in salaries as recently as 5 yrs ago. Cle has 96 mil in salary tied to 6 players. You don't see something wrong w/ this?

Actually, no... those numbers are most likely off. Very rarely do teams make the salaries flat across multiple years. Thompson and Love likely have 7.5% annual increases in those deals and LeBron, with a 35% max, will make more than Love this year. The numbers I have right now are 8 players at about $88 million for this season.

Code: Select all

Love     $18,960,174     30% of 42.14% of BRI (about $63.2M) for 1st year of 5yr deal just below $110mil
Thompson      $14,000,000     5yr/$80.5mil deal with 7.5% annual increase
James     $22,120,203     35% of 42.14% of BRI (about $63.2M) for 1st year of 2yr deal
irving     $14,746,000     From Spotrac
varejao     $9,638,554     From Spotrac
mozgov     $4,950,000     From Spotrac
miller     $2,854,940     From Spotrac
harris     $845,059     From Spotrac
Current Committed     $88,114,930   
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,277

Post#65 » by mademan » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:16 pm

It's not that bad for the Cavs, imo. It's 1 year with a big bill...this isnt gonna be a 4 year run with Gilbert paying out 100 mill out of his pocket

AV/Kyrie/TT/Love will make about 50
Lebron at 28
Shump at 10
Mozgov at 15ish

Thats there core. 8 players and it's not at luxury tax yet. Starting next year they should have a relatively small luxury tax hit. With how much Lebron brings in, Gilbert can stomach 1 year of with a big tax hit
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,093

Post#66 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:18 pm

The Cavs will be fine as long as Dan is willing to pay. That said, the perception of this team and this season going forward is going to be a lot different.

Last year was a feel good year for them, they really could do no wrong, especially with their injuries and still getting to the Finals. This year, the pressure is going to be on big time. They're going to be expected to win 65 games and cruise to the Finals easily, and will be the favorites almost guaranteed.

Still an awesome time to be a Cavs fan, but now they'll get a small taste of what it was like for Heat fans the last 4 years, this will be by far the most expectations their team will have ever had to deal with, the only thing close was 2010 and people still mostly acknowledged (except Lakers/Kobe fans) it was a one man team with spare parts back then.
Heat_Fan_87
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#67 » by Heat_Fan_87 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:18 pm

Gilbert gonna be paying out his ass only to watch his team lose to miami next season. Can't wait.
Cavaliers2
Sixth Man
And1: 1,958

Post#68 » by Cavaliers2 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:52 pm

Heat_Fan_87 wrote:Gilbert gonna be paying out his ass only to watch his team lose to miami next season. Can't wait.

You don't really believe this right?
Heat_Fan_87
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#69 » by Heat_Fan_87 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:59 pm

Cavaliers2 wrote:
Heat_Fan_87 wrote:Gilbert gonna be paying out his ass only to watch his team lose to miami next season. Can't wait.

Get use to it.
te887848
Starter
And1: 644

Post#70 » by te887848 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:00 pm

Come on, the Heat absolutely suck. LeBron was the only reason they were relevant from 2010-2014 and now that he left you saw how good they were... a lottery team.

Cavs, Thunder, Spurs, Warriors - those are your real title threats next year.
Cavaliers2
Sixth Man
And1: 1,958

Post#71 » by Cavaliers2 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:06 pm

Heat_Fan_87 wrote:
Cavaliers2 wrote:

Get use to it.

I mean if the heat stay healthy, which is a big if, they will be a lot better. But I still don't know if they are more than a second round team
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,893

Post#72 » by TeamTragic » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:08 pm

I'm going to put this out there. If Cavs don't win a championship next season then expect Gilbert to have to go into hiding for a few years :lol:
Scrapachenko
Senior

Post#73 » by Scrapachenko » Wed Jul 1, 2015 11:00 pm

GoranTragic wrote:I'm going to put this out there. If Cavs don't win a championship next season then expect Gilbert to have to go into hiding for a few years :lol:

I don't get it... and judging by the lack of responses I don't think anyone else did. Was this supposed to be funny? Why exactly would he need to go into hiding?
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,721

Post#74 » by HotRocks34 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 11:02 pm

Gilbert's all in. Not surprised, especially with how close they got this year.

You know someone or someones had to tell LeBron before he came back that money would not be an object to Gilbert.

Looks like Gilbert just following through on that assumed "promise" to LeBron.

Plus, let's be honest: If Gilbert wins Cleveland it's first major pro sports title in like 50 years, he's king for life. He wants the ring as bad as anyone, IMO.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
TeamTragic
General Manager

Post#75 » by TeamTragic » Wed Jul 1, 2015 11:07 pm

Scrapachenko wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:I'm going to put this out there. If Cavs don't win a championship next season then expect Gilbert to have to go into hiding for a few years :lol:

I don't get it... and judging by the lack of responses I don't think anyone else did. Was this supposed to be funny? Why exactly would he need to go into hiding?

Super talented team loaded with stars. Eastern Conference. LBJ. Luxury tax. Can you imagine if he didn't win a title?
Scrapachenko
Senior

Post#76 » by Scrapachenko » Wed Jul 1, 2015 11:16 pm

GoranTragic wrote:
Scrapachenko wrote:

Super talented team loaded with stars. Eastern Conference. LBJ. Luxury tax. Can you imagine if he didn't win a title?

Yeah, he'd STILL have a super talented team loaded with stars. Eastern Conference. LBJ. Raking money in hand over fist from his multiple successful business ventures and pull the luxury tax money from his couch cushions. I think Dan Gilbert will be OK win/lose/draw. Thanks for your concern though!
TeamTragic
General Manager

Post#77 » by TeamTragic » Wed Jul 1, 2015 11:19 pm

Scrapachenko wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:
Scrapachenko wrote:

Yeah, he'd STILL have a super talented team loaded with stars. Eastern Conference. LBJ. Raking money in hand over fist from his multiple successful business ventures and pull the luxury tax money from his couch cushions. I think Dan Gilbert will be OK win/lose/draw. Thanks for your concern though!

I'm sure everything above will come true. Just no championship :lol:
Scrapachenko
Senior

Post#78 » by Scrapachenko » Wed Jul 1, 2015 11:21 pm

GoranTragic wrote:
Scrapachenko wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:

I'm sure everything above will come true. Just no championship :lol:

Cool story bro
RonSwanson
Junior
And1: 315

Post#79 » by RonSwanson » Wed Jul 1, 2015 11:21 pm

Heat_Fan_87 wrote:
Cavaliers2 wrote:

Get use to it.

:lol:
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#80 » by Mr Loggins » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:11 am

:lol:

Return to The General Board