The ridiculous sportsmanship commercial that came on during the playoffs years ago

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,165

Re: The ridiculous sportsmanship commercial that came on during the playoffs years ago 

Post#61 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:15 am

naabzor wrote:It's not like the ref is going to reverse the call anyway... what's the point? That's simply not a smart play. No one is going to remember the guy who calls it right and lose, they are gonna remember the guy who won it all. That's it, it's not players duty to make calls, the only thing they need to do is playing the game in a FAIR way: rest is just nonsense...

Actuall, since it's a high school game no one is gonna give two ****. If anything, the sportsmanship is going to be remembered far longer than a high school championship when you were 18. I'll admit I've told a ref when I've touched the ball when it goes out of bounds, as has teammates of mine and opponents. I know us Canadians are nice but still, I dont think this concept should be that hard for the rest of the world, and I can't believe people here actually would be mad at a guy because he did nothing other than help another guy make the correct call (which we all want, right?)
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,735

Re: The ridiculous sportsmanship commercial that came on during the playoffs years ago 

Post#62 » by naabzor » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:46 am

How can you know it's the right call anyway? Things happens so fast in basketball that oh well I know I touched the ball but 50% of the time it happens I don't know if someone else touched the ball too. It's a crapshoot, that's why there is a ref, to settle things.
GSWBlooded93
Junior
And1: 88

Post#63 » by GSWBlooded93 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:17 am

For a second I thought Alex kept mentioning he touched the ball because no one ever lets him have the ball lol.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#64 » by Laimbeer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:23 am

The obcessing over officiaiting and growing use of instant replay is making the game less and less enjoyable. Blown calls are inevitable and even out over time.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#65 » by King4Day » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:32 pm

If the ref won't change a call when you complain a call didn't go your way, they aren't going to take your word for it on a close play like this.
Always hated this commercial as it's too unrealistic on many levels.
They could have had two guys in a heated battle. After one gets taken to school, the guy who did the schooling could have said, 'hey, good effort' or some nonsense.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#66 » by King4Day » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:34 pm

Rumor had it Alex has a major gambling debt so he bet heavy that his team would lose. This was his chance to help throw the game....and it worked. Good call Alex!
basketbrawler
Sophomore
And1: 214

Post#67 » by basketbrawler » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:49 pm

Its an ad teaching kids about sportsmanship.

Get over it.
Orlando, FLA
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#68 » by Boarder Patrol » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:54 pm

Laimbeer wrote:The obcessing over officiaiting and growing use of instant replay is making the game less and less enjoyable. Blown calls are inevitable and even out over time.

Agree. Alienates fan bases and promotes this conspiracy culture on the board as well. It's probably the hardest game to officiate well - it's like when an ump needs to make a split second call at first base, except that type of judgement is needed at all times.
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#69 » by Bball0000 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:07 am

Cheesy unrealistic commercial, but players like LeBron and Wade need to watch this commercial 1000x. The amount of acting they've participated in and lack of integrity / respect for the game throughout their career is what's wrong with the NBA. Not surprised LeBron is in movies now ha. Seriously, kids gonna look up to their hero and see him a "superstar" (at the time) on the ground acting like a little girl and like his eye was poked? That ain't sports. Commercial's extreme, but nothing with going in that direction when it was likely targeted toward a younger demographic who have no clue what integrity means.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#70 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:17 am

Trophies tarnish but integrity lasts forever.

Good call, Alex.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
MN Tinderwolf
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#71 » by MN Tinderwolf » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:22 am

beyond corny.

That's just like telling your friends wife "I looked at your butt 5 seconds ago".

Honesty is not always the best policy. Grow up.
Purch
Veteran
And1: 2,053

Post#72 » by Purch » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:31 am

The fact that this is so unrealistic just weakens the message
Spintown
Starter
And1: 2,667

Post#73 » by Spintown » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Atleast it's not as bad as the " using gay to mean stupid or dumb is not cool" commercial.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#74 » by Rosque » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:55 pm

"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#75 » by barelyawake » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Another billionaire, who is constantly in the news for cheating on his taxes, preaching morality to the little people. Quaint.
TommyTBolt
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#76 » by TommyTBolt » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:59 pm

i made the mistake of clicking on these thinking it was real football but its the european ladies game instead.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#77 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:57 pm

Really liked the message it sent but it was a bit unrealistic, we're too competitive in nature
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#78 » by The Laker Kid » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:01 pm

Reggie Evans touched the ball yet his teammates didn't mind
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Purch
Veteran
And1: 2,053

Post#79 » by Purch » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:36 pm

Just saw this again.. It's amazing that not everyone finds this cringeworthy
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,834

Post#80 » by Beethoven » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Purch wrote:https://youtube.com/watch?v=9x0LgNVQjyY

Finally found this crap

Blows my mind now that I saw it again after all these years

How many of you remember this?

ridiculous? It delivers a good message about integrity. In sports or not. I like it , it has a pure motive and can be impactful to those who are still impressionable.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)

Return to The General Board