Idea to fix the East-West Desparity

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: Idea to fix the East-West Desparity 

Post#21 » by Higga » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:51 pm

No to expansion. If anything we need to contract 4 teams.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#22 » by tidho » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:I think the league should implement a rule where each team are only allowed 2 max contracts. This way you won't have the super-teams like the Cavs and the giant disparity between the top teams (Warriors, Cavs) to the bottom teams (Wolves, Knicks) and every team in the league is more balanced. Stars should theoretically be more spread out too.

They've started down this path with the 'supermax' concept of only being able to give one player the 6th year. I think if they expanded that to include another $5M per you'd have some guys preferring to go their own way.
elBJ
Pro Prospect
And1: 697

Post#23 » by elBJ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:20 pm

Jazzing wrote:There aren't good players for all 30 teams. An expansion would make the NBA worst at this point and create a whole new problem of bad teams.

You here that a lot and I don't want a expansion, but if you let 30 teams pick 8 players, then let Pop and Thibs pick a team out of the remaining NBA- and International-players I'm almost certain at least one of this teams (If not both) reach the playoffs. I think waste of talent is more of an issue than lack there of.
Guest202 wrote:Even Wall Street Journal subscribers think it was fixed...
Free Rider
Veteran
And1: 1,567

Post#24 » by Free Rider » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:29 pm

I don't understand how expanding the number of teams in each conference would in any way lead to more parity between the conferences. The OP doesn't even make an argument as to how those two are correlated. If you just want to see more teams in the NBA then just say you think there should be more teams. But what's the relationship between having more teams and less disparity between conferences?
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#25 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:37 pm

Shouldn't Washington be in Central?
Credits to Jstock12
OvertimeNO
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,663

Post#26 » by OvertimeNO » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:15 pm

nate33 wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:Simple solution is to do draft by record regardless of playoff berth. Realignment is only a temporary fix.

Yeah. That's the only fundamental change I'd make. Brooklyn's pick should have been higher than OKC's during this draft.

That change is minor though. The rest of the solution is to wait things about and let things regress to the main.

It would make a pretty significant change if it means teams that got lower seeds in the Eastern Conference also still had a chance to move up in the lottery. Then you've got a situation where being a good-but-not-great team is something you could actually build on, instead of a false start/dead end like it is right now.
"If it ain't broke, don't break it." - Charles Oakley
MartyConlonJr
General Manager
And1: 2,435

Post#27 » by MartyConlonJr » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Agree that the draft is part of the problem, Every year the worse east teams that should miss the playoffs, but made them are getting a draft pick of 15-17 and the west teams that should have made the playoffs but didnt are getting the 12-14th picks and a shot at top 3.

What about if we figure out the top 16 teams in the league for the playoffs, and go from east to west and get the 8 eastmost teams to be the east playoffs, potentially picking up a couple of west teams, but keeping with the narrative that travel is part of the issue.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#28 » by DarkAzcura » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:58 pm

Wild cards. That's all you need.
HotTubMike
Veteran
And1: 4,166

Post#29 » by HotTubMike » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:21 pm

Just give it another 25 years, I'm sure the East will get as good as the west finally by then...

I mean, seriously, when was the last time (for more than maybe 1 season) the east was better than the west..

I feel like I could wait my whole lifetime at this point
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#30 » by WESCO » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:30 pm

DiscoLives4ever wrote:I'd like to see the playoffs tweaked to where the division winners and next 3 best records in each conference are guaranteed a playoff spot, and the remaining 4 spots (2 in each conference) go to the best teams not currently in regardless of conference.

I actually love the idea with a few minor tweaks. Keeping the 16 team playoff.

Top 6 records from east and west gauranteed.

The 4 spots (from either division) go to best remaining season records.

The worst record that makes the playoffs would line up with the overall best record.

Remaining records would alternate back and forth to divisions.

Using warriors as example from this year as #1 overall seed. They would line up with the worst record that makes playoffs. 2nd worst goes to east 3rd worst goes to west 4th worst goes east.

Something of this nature AND no lottery would be very nice.
TruthSerum
Rookie
And1: 274

Post#31 » by TruthSerum » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:48 pm

Trade the Southwest division for the Atlantic. Rename East and West. Keep everything else the same
51st pick vs. 11th pick
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#32 » by jpengland » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:12 pm

Jazzing wrote:There aren't good players for all 30 teams. An expansion would make the NBA worst at this point and create a whole new problem of bad teams.

This is an irrational argument.

The increase in population and influx of (and increase in quality and quantity of) non US players means that quality would not be compromised with additional teams.

It may be perceived to be the case, but I would wager that more opportunity would result in more stars.

Current NBA 12th men would largely be middle rotation guys for teams in the 80s and 90s.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#33 » by Dominator83 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:23 pm

jpengland wrote:

The increase in population and influx of (and increase in quality and quantity of) non US players means that quality would not be compromised with additional teams.

It may be perceived to be the case, but I would wager that more opportunity would result in more stars.

Current NBA 12th men would largely be middle rotation guys for teams in the 80s and 90s.

No, they wouldn't be in the league
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#34 » by jpengland » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Dominater wrote:
jpengland wrote:

Larger population, globalization of the game, technological and analytical advances. The pool of players in the US and world wide is increasing by the decade. Larger pool and access to greater knowledge of coaching and analysis = higher number of quality players available.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#35 » by Dominator83 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:43 pm

jpengland wrote:
Dominater wrote:
jpengland wrote:

Larger population, globalization of the game, technological and analytical advances. The pool of players in the US and world wide is increasing by the decade. Larger pool and access to greater knowledge of coaching and analysis = higher number of quality players available.

You have a good point, but more teams =more scrubs too. Now imagine a league with the current player pool but with the half dozen or so less teams sharing them :nod:
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#36 » by jpengland » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Dominater wrote:
jpengland wrote:
Dominater wrote:No, they wouldn't be in the league

You have a good point, but more teams =more scrubs too. Now imagine a league with the current player pool but with the half dozen or so less teams sharing them :nod:
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Post#37 » by JasonStern » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:41 pm

simple solution: hard cap, no max salary. teams would find it much more difficult to acquire multiple all-star tier players, allowing the talent to be diluted towards team with available cap space.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#38 » by EscapoTHB » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:50 am

At this point the only way to fix the east is to get rid of conferences past a point, and just take the top 4 teams from each conference, and then the next best 8 teams regardless of conference.

This would allow Eastern conference teams that aren't that good but are still going in the right direction to get lottery picks to keep building with.

The problem right now is that the east is so bad, it's really easy for teams to get out of the lottery, when really to be a good team they need to be there another year or two. So it just perpetuates the problem.

Alternatively, the East could hire better GMs. Have more dynamic owners. So on and so forth.
TheUroborosWorm
Sixth Man
And1: 1,103

Post#39 » by TheUroborosWorm » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:10 am

I have a great solution to fix the problem of the west being better than the east...
Switching the northcentric view of the globe and present it southcentric!

That way the east becomes so much better!
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#40 » by qm22 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:19 am

NO was an Eastern team right before they got CP3, they would be better off going back from the NBA's perspective. Minnesota (not that it would help balance a great deal at the moment), OKC, and Texas teams could also potentially switch with some Central teams. It's a bit unfair to teams that get switched but there is no reason to keep the current alignment when things are out of balance.
Central teams that switched would have a much better chance of becoming a lotto-winner and escaping treadmill-team fate.

Return to The General Board