Why Was Jason Kidd Traded So Many Times?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Why Was Jason Kidd Traded So Many Times? 

Post#1 » by Baseline Runner » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:48 am

- One of the most heralded college point guards in history, Dallas drafts him at #2, very rare for a PG to be drafted that high. A couple of years later he was traded to Phoenix for Michael Finley. Finley was a good player but I don't know why they gave up on their young PG so quick who just averaged 17/10 with great defense.

- Kidd goes to Phoenix and turns that team into a 50 win team. In his final year they had Sean Marion who was looking like a stud as a second year player and the two complimented each other well with a running game. If they added one more all-star caliber player that could have been a championship caliber team, but instead they trade Kidd for Marbury, someone who just led the New Jersey Nets to 20 something wins,

- Kidd goes to the Nets and immediately turns them into a title contender and finishes second in MVP voting to Duncan that year.

- Many years with the Nets pass, the Nets fail to ever put a good team around Kidd with the best players featuring the likes of Richard Jefferson and Kenyon Martin. Despite this they made it to the finals twice. He is traded to Dallas for Devin Harris. Harris looked like a good young PG but never proved anything in the league and ended up being a bust and set New Jersey back years. Kidd was a veteran but still one of the top PGs in the league at the time of the trade and would help Dirk get a title in 2011.

Three times he was traded during the height of his career and every time trade looked bad if not horrendous in hindsight. Kidd was a player who always made his teams better. He was a floor general, great passer, could push the ball, knock down the open three and a great rebounder and defender. He wasn't a great scorer but he did everything else for you at the PG position. He is the kind of guy if you put with a great player like Dirk or someone of that caliber they will win championships.
Ponchos
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,775

Re: Why Was Jason Kidd Traded So Many Times? 

Post#2 » by Ponchos » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:59 am

Because wife beaters aren't cool with some ownership groups.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:14 am

There was a time when people thought the Nets "won" that trade (at least some people). Harris looked great and the Mavs still didn't get over the hump for a couple years.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#4 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:16 am

Started from the bottom now we here^^

Kidd could be very difficult to get along with. He ran off coaches, and he had issues with women and teammates' women.

But he could also be a really valuable and good team mate if you clicked with him and his philosophy on how to play and win games. Which made him a valuable trade piece. I also believe he's power hungry, which can rub people the wrong way.

Dudes a winner though and the great players love playing with him.....Jimmy Jackson, not so much.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

Post#5 » by TaylorMonkey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:24 am

Mylie10 wrote:[img]http://2odti53knmc93mydi047hcrn17m7.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/gallery/photo-gallery-2013-2014-brooklyn-nets-then-now/jason-kidd.jpg[/img]

Started from the bottom now we here^^

Kidd could be very difficult to get along with. He ran off coaches, and he had issues with women and teammates' women.

But he could also be a really valuable and good team mate if you clicked with him and his philosophy on how to play and win games. Which made him a valuable trade piece. I also believe he's power hungry, which can rub people the wrong way.

Dudes a winner though and the great players love playing with him.....Jimmy Jackson, not so much.

In that pile of envelopes is a little one that reads "The University of California at Berkeley".

Go Bears.
neno
Rookie
And1: 918

Post#6 » by neno » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:58 am

Public saftey
Vinsanity_GOAT
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#7 » by Vinsanity_GOAT » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:10 am

Baseline Runner wrote:...

- Many years with the Nets pass, the Nets fail to ever put a good team around Kidd with the best players featuring the likes of Richard Jefferson and Kenyon Martin. Despite this they made it to the finals twice. He is traded to Dallas for Devin Harris. Harris looked like a good young PG but never proved anything in the league and ended up being a bust and set New Jersey back years. Kidd was a veteran but still one of the top PGs in the league at the time of the trade and would help Dirk get a title in 2011.

They did have a lousy supporting cast though so you're right about that. If they could've just traded overrated richard jefferson for a decent big they would've been a lot better. I mean collins, 40yo cliffy, krstic, mikki moore, josh boone, yi,... I actually liked sean williams' game but of course he turned out to be a dumbass. Not to mention the rest of the bench that was mostly filled with d-league talent: ager, wright, hassell, scal, etc.

Also, i doubt the nets actually wanted to trade kidd... he asked to be traded.
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#8 » by Cycklops » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:49 am

Ponchos wrote:Because wife beaters aren't cool with some ownership groups.

His wife, who used to sneak in the locker room and go through his cellphone, accused him of striking her with a cup of yogurt. As far as I know Kidd had no history of spousal abuse and hasn't been accused since. Most people who actually are wife/gf beaters build up a long rap sheet over multiple relationships.
2LeTTeRS
Senior
And1: 465

Post#9 » by 2LeTTeRS » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:11 pm

Cycklops wrote:

His wife, who used to sneak in the locker room and go through his cellphone, accused him of striking her with a cup of yogurt. As far as I know Kidd had no history of spousal abuse and hasn't been accused since. Most people who actually are wife/gf beaters build up a long rap sheet over multiple relationships.

Wasn't he accused of stuffing french fries up her nose or something? I swear I remember a story about them regarding french fries.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,179

Post#10 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:34 pm

Short answer is that Kidd is a big time jerk.
aka: prorl
TommyTBolt
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#11 » by TommyTBolt » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:39 pm

Cycklops wrote:

I thought he did that free throw kiss thing as a tribute to her because he dotted her eyes a couple times?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,559

Post#12 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:40 pm

Because as good as he is, the general notion in the league is that it's close to impossible to win it with a superstar ball dominant PG, specially the fact that most of his good years falls in the Shaq era. And it showed when the Lakers dominantly beat them in the finals.

The way I look at it, there were some teams who would really want to have a very very special PG in Kidd, and there are some teams that had him that realized that the team wont ever win as long as they build a team around Kidd.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
VC-INJURY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Post#13 » by VC-INJURY » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:50 pm

Toni Braxton

Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#14 » by Hendrix » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:02 pm

76ciology wrote:Because as good as he is, the general notion in the league is that it's close to impossible to win it with a superstar ball dominant PG, specially the fact that most of his good years falls in the Shaq era. And it showed when the Lakers dominantly beat them in the finals.

The way I look at it, there were some teams who would really want to have a very very special PG in Kidd, and there are some teams that had him that realized that the team wont ever win as long as they build a team around Kidd.

I don't think the general notion around the league is that it's "close to impossible to win it with a superstar ball dominant PG". It's something that comes up around here once in a while, but I doubt GM's think the same tbh. Plus, with respect to ball dominance, it's not like he's one of these scoring point guards needing to get up 20 fga's/game and are actually hurting their team's offense by doing so. He was only ~14ppg's on average through his prime and made a significant positive impact on both sides of the ball. Plus, as far as ball dominance goes, is it really dominating the ball if you are trying to get other players good efficient shots?

I think the reason he was traded was already brought up in the thread. Really he was only traded twice in his prime. Trades when you're in your mid/lat 30's in basketball aren't as shocking. And, the 2 trades in his twenties I'm pretty sure were due to clashing personalities with coaches/players, and the spousal abuse situation.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#15 » by ChosunX » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:36 pm

2LeTTeRS wrote:
Cycklops wrote:

Wasn't he accused of stuffing french fries up her nose or something? I swear I remember a story about them regarding french fries.

I guess unique players are unusual when it comes to spousal abuse.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#16 » by Zombiesonics » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:45 pm

coach killer
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#17 » by dockingsched » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:05 pm

Baseline Runner wrote:- One of the most heralded college point guards in history, Dallas drafts him at #2, very rare for a PG to be drafted that high. A couple of years later he was traded to Phoenix for Michael Finley. Finley was a good player but I don't know why they gave up on their young PG so quick who just averaged 17/10 with great defense.

He demanded a trade from Dallas after his feud with Jim Jackson due to Toni Braxton

- Kidd goes to Phoenix and turns that team into a 50 win team. In his final year they had Sean Marion who was looking like a stud as a second year player and the two complimented each other well with a running game. If they added one more all-star caliber player that could have been a championship caliber team, but instead they trade Kidd for Marbury, someone who just led the New Jersey Nets to 20 something wins,

He plead guilty to spousal abuse during his stint in Phoenix

- Kidd goes to the Nets and immediately turns them into a title contender and finishes second in MVP voting to Duncan that year.

He openly asked out of New Jersey and even pretended to have a migraine as a way to miss a game and speed up his trade

Three times he was traded during the height of his career and every time trade looked bad if not horrendous in hindsight. Kidd was a player who always made his teams better. He was a floor general, great passer, could push the ball, knock down the open three and a great rebounder and defender. He wasn't a great scorer but he did everything else for you at the PG position. He is the kind of guy if you put with a great player like Dirk or someone of that caliber they will win championships.

This is a helpful tool with links to various articles

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/brooklyn-nets/post/_/id/19596/history-of-jason-kidds-past-incidents
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,146

Post#18 » by druggas » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:40 pm

He didn't shoot well either.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#19 » by Nolan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Great player but the guys a jackass, no nice way of putting it.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#20 » by BudTugly » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:23 pm

Because J Kidd is a dick.

Return to The General Board