Rondo hasn't been this excited since '08

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

Re: Rondo hasn't been this excited since '08 

Post#41 » by Chi » Sun Oct 4, 2015 9:07 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Game 7 wrote:
meekrab wrote:Good for him, Sac's roster is still kind of a mess though.

outsiders with no knowledge think that. Its a deep team overall

That's right. You tell them! Don't forget about how WCS is going to play like Dwight on steroids.

Dwight isn't on steroids?
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,202

Post#42 » by TroubleS0me » Sun Oct 4, 2015 9:20 pm

spacemonkey wrote:Hard to image Rondo wasn't excited in 09 when the Celts went 29-2 or whatever it was, before KG went down.

They were basically poised to repeat.

i was gonna say the same thing..
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#43 » by qm22 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 9:22 pm

It will be good for the league if Rondo lives up to his former reputation. But we need to stop hearing puff-pieces until he does something again. In Dallas there was some over the top Rondo praise until things boiled over. Even stuff like him being a super genius at work studying the playbook and watching film, memorizing every page of the playbook like Rainman.

That said he should be happy playing with a star he likes in Cousins, so there's nothing wrong with him being excited. That may not reflect being good.

I think Sacramento's roster has potential to be better than they've been, but besides Cousins they have one or two solid players and then nothing looks good.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,084

Post#44 » by stuporman » Sun Oct 4, 2015 9:25 pm

I haven't been this indifferent since.... oh heck I don't care.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Game 7
Banned User
And1: 110

Post#45 » by Game 7 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 10:18 pm

qm22 wrote:It will be good for the league if Rondo lives up to his former reputation. But we need to stop hearing puff-pieces until he does something again. In Dallas there was some over the top Rondo praise until things boiled over. Even stuff like him being a super genius at work studying the playbook and watching film, memorizing every page of the playbook like Rainman.

That said he should be happy playing with a star he likes in Cousins, so there's nothing wrong with him being excited. That may not reflect being good.

I think Sacramento's roster has potential to be better than they've been, but besides Cousins they have one or two solid players and then nothing looks good.

Belineli isn't good? Rondo isn't good? Kufos isn't good? Rudy isn't good? There's more than just cousins :lol:
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#46 » by LLcoleJ » Sun Oct 4, 2015 10:39 pm

Game 7 wrote:
qm22 wrote:It will be good for the league if Rondo lives up to his former reputation. But we need to stop hearing puff-pieces until he does something again. In Dallas there was some over the top Rondo praise until things boiled over. Even stuff like him being a super genius at work studying the playbook and watching film, memorizing every page of the playbook like Rainman.

Belineli isn't good? Rondo isn't good? Kufos isn't good? Rudy isn't good? There's more than just cousins :lol:

is there?
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
cw3k
Bench Warmer
And1: 503

Post#47 » by cw3k » Sun Oct 4, 2015 11:06 pm

ImChillin01 wrote:Yeah because he gets to play with one of his best friends in Cousins. Cousins is one of the few people that can get to Rondo. People hate on Rondo but a movitated Rondo is top 6 PG in the NBA. Yeah I said it, go ahead and hate on me for recognizing greatness.

A PG cannot shot is a top 6 PG?? :rofl2:
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#48 » by enderwilson » Sun Oct 4, 2015 11:18 pm

Tarik Black wrote:
Game 7 wrote:

is there?

Yep.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#49 » by enderwilson » Sun Oct 4, 2015 11:23 pm

Pretty much expected this thread to be a rag fest on the Kings. Kicking a perennial bottom dwelling team when they're down is such a popular sport with the lonely keyboard jockys these days. But I must say that I'm quite shocked that half of these posts actually have something positive to say about the Kings.

Quite touching actually. Beginning to feel a bit emotional. :cry:
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#50 » by LLcoleJ » Sun Oct 4, 2015 11:33 pm

enderwilson wrote:
Tarik Black wrote:
Game 7 wrote:Belineli isn't good? Rondo isn't good? Kufos isn't good? Rudy isn't good? There's more than just cousins :lol:

is there?

Yep.

sell me
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#51 » by Winsome Gerbil » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:36 am

Tarik Black wrote:
enderwilson wrote:
Tarik Black wrote:
is there?

Yep.

sell me

Dude...the Rondo part of this thread is kind of a shrug for me. Personally I don't see him done physically and think half his problem has just been motivation and an alpha coach who he clashed with.

But that overall roster is clearer cut and probably 10 guys deep this year. Their bench is composed of basically 100% the bench of the Western Conference elite. They took Memphis' backup center, and San Antonio's backup SG, the Clippers' backup PG, Houston's backup SF...guess Butler was in the East last year for Milwaulkee, but still, they've got a bench like San Antonio normally does. Swap the Kings bench and and the Spurs bench and everybody would be talking about all the experience and depth Pop had.

Then throw in Cousins, 2 Top 7 picks in the last 3 years, a 20pt score in Gay, and a former 4x All Star/All Defensive PG with something like 200 playoff games to guide the whole thing.

People can say its going to work or not, but not recognizing the talent is kind of ridiculous. All of those guys have been considered solid pieces on elite teams or strong prospects. Just wearing a Kings jersey doesn't change that. Cousins needs to stay healthy, as do all superstars. But it certainly looks like hes got a real supporting cast for once.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#52 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:49 am

cw3k wrote:
ImChillin01 wrote:Yeah because he gets to play with one of his best friends in Cousins. Cousins is one of the few people that can get to Rondo. People hate on Rondo but a movitated Rondo is top 6 PG in the NBA. Yeah I said it, go ahead and hate on me for recognizing greatness.

A PG cannot shot is a top 6 PG?? :rofl2:

Come on...this is silly. Rondo is a monster at his best. He may not be able to shoot but he can effect the game every other way possible. Dude basically is a walking triple double and a all defensive team candidate when he's playing at his best.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
the throg
Junior
And1: 131

Post#53 » by the throg » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:17 am

i think the kings are gonna have options with collison and rondo at the pg position...i do think they will make the 8th seed of the playoffs if healthy..
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#54 » by Revived » Mon Oct 5, 2015 8:45 am

IMO Rick Carslie is as good a coach as any and if he couldn't get through to Rondo then nobody will imo. I expect all this to be history and there to be problems with Rondo and other players or coaches by mid season or end of the season.
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Re: RE: Re: Rondo hasn't been this excited since '08 

Post#55 » by Side beard » Mon Oct 5, 2015 9:12 am

SF88 wrote:IMO Rick Carslie is as good a coach as any and if he couldn't get through to Rondo then nobody will imo. I expect all this to be history and there to be problems with Rondo and other players or coaches by mid season or end of the season.

I think the issue was that Rick has his offensive schemes. And Rondo likes a free flowing offense where you can improvise. Those two didn't work together well.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#56 » by NBAfan3024 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 10:52 am

I Rondo can't get going with this offence not sure he ever will again
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#57 » by Knosh » Mon Oct 5, 2015 11:49 am

Side beard wrote:
SF88 wrote:IMO Rick Carslie is as good a coach as any and if he couldn't get through to Rondo then nobody will imo. I expect all this to be history and there to be problems with Rondo and other players or coaches by mid season or end of the season.

I think the issue was that Rick has his offensive schemes. And Rondo likes a free flowing offense where you can improvise. Those two didn't work together well.

Carlisle has a free flowing offense where you can improvise, he doesn't want to call plays. But he does like to play with a high pace, have multiple ball handlers on the court and have them run pick and rolls over and over, which requires good spacing. And outside of Rondo, the roster was build toward that. Rondo was just a terrible fit for that.
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Post#58 » by Side beard » Mon Oct 5, 2015 11:50 am

Knosh wrote:
Side beard wrote:

Carlisle has a free flowing offense where you can improvise, he doesn't want to call plays. But he does like to play with a high pace, have multiple ball handlers on the court and have them run pick and rolls over and over, which requires good spacing. And outside of Rondo, the roster was build toward that. Rondo was just a terrible fit for that.

Ah, I see.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#59 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Oct 5, 2015 11:52 am

That in and of itself is very dumb. It reminds me of the many " Dantoni is such a players coach that if you cant get along with him youre...." Comments.

Being a great coach doesnt mean that you are also a flexible coach. Larry Brown is considered a great coach. Top 10 of all time maybe and the dude wont start scoring PGs at PG. Think about that. Some guys are great while doing one single thing over and over and over again. Give them what they want and theyll win. Make them adapt and they are in the lottery.

Rondo cant shoot like Payton Manning cant run. If we are gonna make that single flaw define both of them then we'd be eliminating a ton of very positive attributes, which is exactly what Carlisle did with Rondo. And Im not bashing Carlisle. Hes won doing it his way, he has every right to want to do it this way. Its just that fans focus way too much on heros and villians rather than fit vs non fit.

It isnt a movie. Dont always need a protagonist and antagonist in basketball. Sometimes its nothing more than circumstances and timing.
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#60 » by Knosh » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:18 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:

That in and of itself is very dumb. It reminds me of the many " Dantoni is such a players coach that if you cant get along with him youre...." Comments.

Being a great coach doesnt mean that you are also a flexible coach. Larry Brown is considered a great coach. Top 10 of all time maybe and the dude wont start scoring PGs at PG. Think about that. Some guys are great while doing one single thing over and over and over again. Give them what they want and theyll win. Make them adapt and they are in the lottery.

Rondo cant shoot like Payton Manning cant run. If we are gonna make that single flaw define both of them then we'd be eliminating a ton of very positive attributes, which is exactly what Carlisle did with Rondo. And Im not bashing Carlisle. Hes won doing it his way, he has every right to want to do it this way. Its just that fans focus way too much on heros and villians rather than fit vs non fit.

It isnt a movie. Dont always need a protagonist and antagonist in basketball. Sometimes its nothing more than circumstances and timing.

As I said above, imo Rondo not working in Dallas was a fit issue, so I agree with you in that regard. But comparing Carlisle in Detroit and Indiana and even his earlier seasons in Dallas to Carlisle now, I think he has shown an ability to adapt. But if you set up a team to play a certain way and then throw in a guy who can't play that way, there just isn't much to do. Playing to Rondo's strengths would have meant not utilizing a bunch of other guys correctly.

Return to The General Board