Sacramento Kings Cancel "Racially Insensitive" Tee-Shirt Give-Away

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Modulate
Rookie
And1: 1,407

Re: Sacramento Kings Cancel "Racially Insensitive" Tee-Shirt Give-Away 

Post#701 » by Modulate » Thu Feb 4, 2016 3:50 pm

I think the most entertaining thing about the anti-PC crowd is that they don't realize they're just as whiny and sensitive as everyone else.
YounGunnCam9395
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#702 » by YounGunnCam9395 » Thu Feb 4, 2016 4:08 pm

cyclix wrote:SMFH

Give a black man anything with a monkey on it and watch his response. No black man is going to play a game with the entire stadium having monkeys on their shirt. You might as well have watermelon and chicken night.

Just keep it simple. Never give a black man anything with a monkey on it. I know that the kinds did not do it maliciously tho and I see it as a none issue.

Then how do you explain Japanese clothing line Bape, who's main logo is the face of an ape, being hugely popular among rappers and the urban community?

Image Image Image Image
mankind2706
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#703 » by mankind2706 » Thu Feb 4, 2016 4:13 pm

I'm pretty sure this thread is responsible for the Zika virus outbreak.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,519

Post#704 » by NYKnickerbocker » Thu Feb 4, 2016 4:45 pm

didn't the shirt have a clear description for the purpose of the monkey. how is it being racially insensitive the first thing that comes to Cousins mind. its not like it was just a shirt with a monkey on it and no descriptions. it clearly said celebrating the year of the monkey.

lol ppl always look for ways to be offended by anything now, its ridiculous.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#705 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Feb 4, 2016 4:47 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Tarik Black wrote:
Jim Naismith wrote:
Allow every culture to celebrate and commemorate without interference or censorship.

This is Multiculturalism 101.

There is a 3rd option. They can pull the shirts. Go back to the drawing board and figure out away to commemorate another cultural without marginalizing another. Seems logical.

The Kings org. Didn't start out by trying to offend black people or interfere with the Chinese celebration. I never once looked at DMC as my social hero. He though is allowed input here regardless of your implication that he is the leader of some PC censorship organization.

That's neither fair nor logical. The animal of the year, this year, in the Chinese culture is a monkey. There isn't a way to commemorate the Chinese New Year without the animal of the year anymore than you can commemorate Memorial Day without recognizing dead soldiers.

Frankly, the notion that, in 2016. having a purple cartoon monkey on shirt somehow "marginalizes" black people saddens me. In a way, the response lends power to an insidious type of bigotry that should be ridiculed and abandoned in the dust bin of history. Black people aren't monkeys and any claim to the contrary isn't one that deserves to be taken seriously. A black man is President of the United States. If there are still people ignorant enough to think of black people as monkeys, or call black people monkeys, then let them drown in their own stupidity. But don't respond in a way that affords them power.

The front runner for the Republican party trades in this kind of nonsense and was obsessed with proving that the Black president was a sham from another country illegally occupying the position. You can turn the other cheek all you want. It doesn't cure the inherent bigotry in some people.
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#706 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Thu Feb 4, 2016 4:58 pm

Cityboy4life82 wrote:
Alfred wrote:

Some guys here are gullible and don't know how to put 2&2 together.

Do you honestly think this is an intentional slight towards the black community? It is Chinese New Year and this is the year of the monkey. The NBA has been heavily promoting Chinese New Year in many major markets.

Give a black man anything with a monkey on it and watch his response. No black man is going to play a game with the entire stadium having monkeys on their shirt. You might as well have watermelon and chicken night.

Just keep it simple. Never give a black man anything with a monkey on it. I know that the kinds did not do it maliciously tho and I see it as a none issue.

This is the issue though. Not everything that happens in the world is about black people and at some point black people have to accept that.
choppermagic
Starter
And1: 846

Post#707 » by choppermagic » Thu Feb 4, 2016 5:07 pm

RonySeikalyFTW wrote:
Cityboy4life82 wrote:
Alfred wrote:
Do you honestly think this is an intentional slight towards the black community? It is Chinese New Year and this is the year of the monkey. The NBA has been heavily promoting Chinese New Year in many major markets.

This is the issue though. Not everything that happens in the world is about black people and at some point black people have to accept that.

Dam right. So a black man wont celebrate Chinese New Year just because every 12 years it happens to have a monkey as it's symbol? And do you really think Cousins or the other black players were going to sit out that game and forfeit salary because Chinese NEw Year was being celebrated?
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#708 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Feb 4, 2016 5:40 pm

RonySeikalyFTW wrote:
Cityboy4life82 wrote:
Alfred wrote:

Kinda did during that whole slavery thing, you know?
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#709 » by TKainZero » Thu Feb 4, 2016 5:59 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
RonySeikalyFTW wrote:This is the issue though. Not everything that happens in the world is about black people and at some point black people have to accept that.

You think blacks were the only race of people enslaved in human history?

I suggest you acutally look where the word slave originated from.
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
jumpinmp
Junior
And1: 285

Post#710 » by jumpinmp » Thu Feb 4, 2016 6:07 pm

I word about the cancellation: Lame.
choppermagic
Starter

Post#711 » by choppermagic » Thu Feb 4, 2016 6:30 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:

Black people dont own the slavery issue. Many many many other cultures have been enslaved well before what you are thinking of in colonial USA. It goes back at least as far as 8000 BC.

In fact, this article says there at 2.9 million modern day slaves in China today. So if anything, shouldn't they get to celebrate their New Years since they have an ongoing slavery issue? And contrast that to Cousins, who is a multi-millionaire pro athlete being offended by the symbol of that holiday, who happens to be a common and well-liked member of the animal kingdom?

Source:
http://www.scmp.com/news/world/article/1333894/29-million-trapped-modern-day-slavery-china-30-million-worldwide
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#712 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Feb 4, 2016 6:34 pm

TKainZero wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
RonySeikalyFTW wrote:This is the issue though. Not everything that happens in the world is about black people and at some point black people have to accept that.

Were Blacks the only enslaved people? No. But what does that have to do with your absurd proposition that Black people think everything is about them?
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#713 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Feb 4, 2016 6:36 pm

choppermagic wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:

Black people dont own the slavery issue. Many many many other cultures have been enslaved well before what you are thinking of in colonial USA. It goes back at least as far as 8000 BC.

In fact, this article says there at 2.9 million modern day slaves in China today. So if anything, shouldn't they get to celebrate their New Years since they have an ongoing slavery issue? And contrast that to Cousins, who is a multi-millionaire pro athlete being offended by the symbol of that holiday, who happens to be a common and well-liked member of the animal kingdom?

Source:
http://www.scmp.com/news/world/article/1333894/29-million-trapped-modern-day-slavery-china-30-million-worldwide

So shouldn't you also make the ridiculous argument that Asians shouldn't think everything is about them?

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Cousins thought it might be weird to be putting out shirts featuring monkeys on the first day of Black history month. Marketing thought he was right. Nothing stopping the celebration of Asian New Year (which is Feb. 8.) They can do the T-shirt giveaway on another day closer to actual New Year.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#714 » by TKainZero » Thu Feb 4, 2016 6:38 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
TKainZero wrote:

Were Blacks the only enslaved people? No. But what does that have to do with your absurd proposition that Black people think everything is about them?

Who proposed what?
I'm 99.9% sure you misread something
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
choppermagic
Starter

Post#715 » by choppermagic » Thu Feb 4, 2016 6:39 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
So shouldn't you also make the ridiculous argument that Asians shouldn't think everything is about them?

That's right. I dont recall reading about an Asian NBA player saying Black History Month should be cancelled because of any offensive tshirts. How about both cultures can be celebrated without people looking to be offended? Sounds more reasonable to me.
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM

Post#716 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Thu Feb 4, 2016 6:53 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
RonySeikalyFTW wrote:
Cityboy4life82 wrote:Give a black man anything with a monkey on it and watch his response. No black man is going to play a game with the entire stadium having monkeys on their shirt. You might as well have watermelon and chicken night.

This is exactly what I'm talking about
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM

Post#717 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Thu Feb 4, 2016 6:59 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
choppermagic wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:

Source:

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Cousins thought it might be weird to be putting out shirts featuring monkeys on the first day of Black history month. Marketing thought he was right. Nothing stopping the celebration of Asian New Year (which is Feb. 8.) They can do the T-shirt giveaway on another day closer to actual New Year.

It's been addressed already itt but Chinese New Year celebrations begin on the last day of January. Sacramento's timing of this acknowledgment was perfectly appropriate.

Again, it was about Chinese New Year not Black History Month. Everything that happens in the world is not about black people.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#718 » by AKfanatic » Thu Feb 4, 2016 7:04 pm

Cityboy4life82 wrote:
Alfred wrote:

Some guys here are gullible and don't know how to put 2&2 together.

This is the same reason my pasty white ass will throw a fit if a restaraunt serves crackers with my soup. I also avoid use of my car horn, damn anti-white car companies. While I'm at it, woodpeckers clearly have an anti-white bias with all what pecking on wood.

This is such a non issue brought by a man that obviously finds racist undertones in the shadows...oops, should I not use "shadow"? Until you take power away from words and symbols deemed as racist, those words and symbols will always hold power over you. Seriously, what's next? The boycott of zoos that exhibit simians? Starting protests against the next planet of the apes movie?
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#719 » by cdubbz » Thu Feb 4, 2016 7:09 pm

YounGunnCam9395 wrote:

Then how do you explain Japanese clothing line Bape, who's main logo is the face of an ape, being hugely popular among rappers and the urban community?

Image Image Image Image

GOT EEEEM!!!!!
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#720 » by JazzyPhinz » Thu Feb 4, 2016 7:16 pm

Return to The General Board