Bold Fix for the Cavs

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,172

Re: Bold Fix for the Cavs 

Post#61 » by jbk1234 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 11:18 pm

I feel like LBJ was already carrying the Heat his last year in Miami. They wouldn't have Deng, Green, Winslow or Dragic if LBJ had stayed. LBJ's jumper is broken and the spacing is probably the biggest issue the Heat have. The notion that they would have definitely gotten by the Bulls last year is not one I'm sure I agree with. But even if they did, they would not have gotten by GS and LBJ would have left last summer.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
primopastalove2
Analyst
And1: 4,861

Post#62 » by primopastalove2 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 11:50 pm

I honestly don't get why Cavs fans think their team is all of sudden going to play more team orientated basketball. Newsflash your 2 most dominant ball-handlers with JR not that far behind are all ISO players, that's what they do, and when the game is at high stakes they are going to do that even more, no amount of coaching will fix that.

This is not on the players or coaching staff, this is all on the Cavs management for getting Big Name players than expecting it to all work. On top of that they got Love to make it even worse, production from big's is dependent on guards giving them the ball in the right spot, most bigs are not ball handlers (especially obvious with Love) its no wonder why Love isn't producing and this will never change no matter how many changes are made, players will always revert back to themselves.
Caped Crusader wrote:
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#63 » by Greyhound » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:01 am

James is a high IQ basketball player that had an all world motor and supreme athleticism.

His problems now have nothing to do with his IQ and everything to do with his decline in athleticism and greatly reduced motor. Failure to achnowledge these things do not point to ones basketball IQ. His lack of self awareness and his unwillingness to adapt may point to a low general intelligence (possible) or plain pig headed stubbornness (most likely).

James when fatigued or in a bind resorts to what has worked for him in the past. His current problem is that he is unable to overhelm defenders with his athleticism anymore and he cannot shoot.

His holding of the ball is due to him needing extra time to beat the defense. Now that the stright line blow by is no longer a given he is often left to put up a long shot against the clock.

He needs to adapt his game. He needs to be more Draymond Green then Lebron James at this stage of his career. The problem will be getting the ego to accept what our eyes can clearly see.

-------

If that mental hurdle were to be cleard, the next problem will be crafting the gameplan and roster to maximize that shift in utility.
Don't believe the hype...
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#64 » by TKainZero » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:02 am

Lebrons "cool" comment seems like something out of the onion
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#65 » by MikeM » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:17 am

I think the difference between LBJ and Kobe is that LBJ thinks he's always right when he changes the offence for himself.

Kobe knew he was wrong but did it anyway. But because he knew he was wrong he could be talked off the ledge occasionally.
guitarpatch
Junior
And1: 148

Post#66 » by guitarpatch » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:53 am

If he's not getting to the rim as easily he has in the past, then he needs to look for his shot. He never shoots it in rhythm. It's always a last gasp after reading the defense has closed the lane. It's a bailout, and really has been just that his entire career. Teams that make him shoot that shot have had success beating him in the playoffs. This changed when he consistently went to the post as a small 4.

He should be working on a little catch and shoot game as he gets older. Make the defender at least think about a close out and setup your drives to the rim.

If not you have to play him at the 4, and that creates a whole what to do w K Love scenario.
Protoss
Senior
And1: 251

Post#67 » by Protoss » Sun Feb 7, 2016 4:40 am

Too much focus on Cavaliers IMO. They were projected to win 57-60 wins (that means 20+ losses). They are on pace to accomplish that.

They should be concerned though because their defense has been very weak, and LBJ/Irving's 3pt shots have gone downhill. While they may not be favored against SAS/GSW, they have the talent to make it competitive. I would pick CLE over OKC very easily.

Not a fan of the "run and don't play defense" approach from the new coach
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#68 » by miltk » Sun Feb 7, 2016 5:07 am

mtron929 wrote:I think there is a simple solution that can vastly improve the Cavs but it will require a lot from Lue. Basically, in a close game in the 4th quarter, when Lebron reverts to iso ball and shoot a long 3, take him out of the game and sit him. After a while, he will stop doing this (or the whole organization will implode) but there is NO way that the Cavs are winning the championship with Lebron/Cavs playing this way. I think Gilbert/Griffin should specifically instruct Lue to do this.

Thoughts?

simple. lebron has two 25ppg teammates and one of them is as big a ballhog as him. since lebron is the most versatile, he cut his ppg down to 19 or 20, add 2 more rpg, and 2 more assists - he should be more like magic. two ballhogs on a team will not get it done,,,and it freezes out love.
Sgt P
Sixth Man
And1: 2,551

Post#69 » by Sgt P » Sun Feb 7, 2016 5:54 am

This has been a very positive topic, :D
Bold fix has to be with personnel or change of atitude. As talented as Cavs are it the mental side that hurts them:
1. JR Smith is just too bone-headed to relied upon within the starting lineup
2. Kyrie lack of commitment on defense ( fixable - shouldn't expect it to switched on )
3. Love - bad defense
4. He needs to wise up, focus on the mental side of the game. Otherwise he pretty much turning into a "suit" while playing...Pure underachievement.

omg....feel like Spo is in my head.... Cavs issues are more mental side. But because of prevailing attitudes, you have to change personnel.

Trying to put myself in LJ's shoes, I understand why is reverts back to dominating the ball - lack of trust.
-- the trust is not there. Thats is where I think issue is lack of professionalism ( attitude ). Nothing like solid winning streak would help get the team to buy-in.
" Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude." said C.P.
JackZZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 629

Post#70 » by JackZZ » Sun Feb 7, 2016 6:32 am

Sgt P wrote:Trying to put myself in LJ's shoes, I understand why is reverts back to dominating the ball - lack of trust.
-- the trust is not there. Thats is where I think issue is lack of professionalism ( attitude ). Nothing like solid winning streak would help get the team to buy-in.

D Wade held the bar high and Bosh was underrated for all his sacrifices. Riley was steering the organization, pulling strings on rosters and trades; plus mentoring Spo. No one in current Cavs team are on par with those 3.
Cavs won't beat GSW in a 7 game series. It looks more likely than not that GSW is set for another final appearance, unless freak of nature injuries stop their key players.

If Cavs couldn't get stability under belt by playoff time. East playoff is going to be interesting. Well, still long way, plenty of time.
NBARocks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,505

Post#71 » by NBARocks » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:43 pm

they need to trade JR. a boneheaded move from him can cost them a playoff game. there's just no room for error for a team aiming for an NBA championship vs GSW. JR is inconsistent as hell. it's high or dry with him. i'd rather have a lower, but more stable production from someone than a streaky shooter like JR.

they also need to trade Irving while he still has value. i'm just fearing that his next injury might finish his career. besides, removing Irving will get the ball moving more.
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#72 » by crazy_me_87 » Mon Feb 8, 2016 7:37 pm

I think people are wayyy to harsh on the Cavs.. they missed their Starting Backcourt for almost 2 months and now had a coaching change without much practice time in a rough schedule stretch. And they are still 36-14 and 1st in the East.

With maybe another Big(Morris) or 3&D(Dudley) guy by trade and just more time under the new Coach they will be fine.. win 60 Games and will be totally in the title race.

Yes NOW GSW especially looks miles ahead of them but they look miles ahead of ANYBODY.. So lets not punish the Cavs for not beeing as good as GSW.. in almost any other season 36-14 could be the Leagues best or 2nd best Record.

But who knows what happens till June.. Hell maybe even GSW doesnt make the finals.. it looks likley now but hell its 4 months..
And against SA,OKC,LAC.. CLE has a very good shot at the title... and even against GSW they could suprise people..
linkz1993
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#73 » by linkz1993 » Mon Feb 8, 2016 8:23 pm

Swap Love for Howard
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#74 » by crazy_me_87 » Mon Feb 8, 2016 8:42 pm

linkz1993 wrote:Swap Love for Howard

This would actually work if the Cavs use their TPE to get a Stretch 4 or a SF and slide Lebron to PF .. you cant start TT and Howard together the spacing would be hell.

This propably would make the Cavs instantly the best Defensive Team in the NBA while still having more than enough firepower.

The Problem is Howard is almost as useless against GSWs small ball lineup as Love. he is a better P&R defender but he cant switch on Klay or Curry... but that is a problem for another day

I think both Teams would think about it. Howard has indicated he could leave Houston because he is desperate for a ring.. he can get that chance in Cle.. and for Houston.. Love is younger and signed long term..
ryanpuge
Senior
And1: 619

Post#75 » by ryanpuge » Mon Feb 8, 2016 8:51 pm

DowJones wrote:
Tacoma wrote:
DowJones wrote:
He went to the Finals last year and will go to the Finals this year on a team that is on pace for 60 wins. Miami would do no better.

And Miami would do no worse. But he left Miami to do better and he's not. That's the point.

DowJones wrote:
:lol:

Whatever you say man. The idea that Miami's coaching had anything to do with LeBron the player is absolutely hilarious. But I am speaking to a Miami fan. Miami fan truly does believe their titles were a result of "culture" more than the individual talents of LeBron James.

Miami has 0 titles during LeBron's 4 years there if GS was THIS good from 2010-2014. Hell, Miami added Luol Deng, Whiteside, and Dragic after losing LeBron and they are not even close to being a contender in the East. They aren't even as good as Toronto.

Just because you don't understand doesn't make it invalid or hillarious.

Here's the difference: In Miami, management & coaching dictated what was best for the team and they thought sharing the ball is what's best for the team. In Cleveland, LeBron dictates what's best for the team and he thinks LeBron is what's best for the team.

Miami wasn't always successful because LeBron will be LeBron, but management, along with Wade, held him in check enough to win a couple of titles. In Cleveland, LeBron is playing LeBron-ball and no one will challenge the King.

I don't disagree that GSW would be favorite to win regardless, but Cleveland is not just LeBron and bunch of nobodies - they have 2 other stars who could contribute more and they'd stand a better chance at beating GSW if they play team ball instead of LeBron-ball.

No, Miami won because LeBron was amazing and the opposition in 2010-2014 wasn't as good as it is now. It had nothing to do with Miami's management or coaching. We have seen what Miami's coaching and management does without LeBron over these last 2 years. LeBron was just in the heart of his prime during those 4 years.

Lets compare Cavs vs Miami without lebron since 2003 when they entered the league.

2003 - 2004 season - Cavs missed the playoff - Heat lost to the Pacers in 2nd round
2004-2005 - Cavs missed the playoff - Heat lost to Detroit in conference finals
2005-2006 season - Cavs lost Detroit in the 2nd Round - Miami won the championships
2006-2007 season - Cavs lost to Spurs in the Finals - Miami lost to Bulls in 1st Round
2007-2008 season - Cavs lost to Boston in teh 2nd round - Miami didnt make the playoff (Wade shoulder injury)
2008-2009 season - Cavs lost to Magic in the conference finals - Miami lost to ATL in the 1st round
2009-2010 season - Cavs lost to Boston in the 2nd round - Miami lost to Boston in the 1st round
2010-2011 season - Cavs won the lottery - miami lost to teh Mavs in the finals
2011-2012 season - Cavs is in the lottery again - Miami won the championships
2012-2013 season - Cavs won the lottery - miami won the championships
2013-2014 season - Cavs won the lottery again - Miami lost to Spurs in the Finals
2014-2015 season - Cavs lost to GSW in the Finals - Miami missed the playoff #10 in the lonely east (in the hunt for a playoff spot despite losing Bosh on the trade deadline)
current season - Cavs #1 in the east - miami in the hunt for a playoff spot

we can compare both teams before the 2003 draft too.. (it will get ugly)
Lets be real- Miami has been a successful franchise and almost in the playoff every year since the arrival of Pat Riley.Oh yeah btw, who joined the Miami in 2010? who pulled that salary cap space before 2010?? If you cant give credit to the management then that's pure ignorance...

While the Cavs??? well they been known because of Lebron James and Craig Elo!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
daoneandonly wrote:
it's not that I'm disrespecting Wade or saying he's not a solid NBA player,I'm saying he never was or never will be a superstar.When it comes right down to it,Wade is just not that good.

Return to The General Board