Curry is god

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Re: Curry is god 

Post#341 » by PizzaSteve » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:35 pm

WIN wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:Just unreal

I just don't understand how you can get to this shooting level, and where was it when he entered the league? It's like he sold his soul or something.

He was actually an elite shooter as a rookie as well. The guy has been putting up ridiculous shooting %s since day 1. People keep bringing up that he's really only had just about 2 elite seasons, but in reality its been 4 in a row IMO with every year getting more elite.

Agree. Don't people remember Jackson getting some heat for saying he had the best shooting backcourt in history? Clearly NBA folks who saw him regularly thought he was the best, even said he, with Klay there to draw attention, would be acknowledged as the best in history. So the potential and even the belief has been there probably since Klay's rookie season. At least I thought so, but I was going to live games frequently. Perhaps the rest of the league didn't have the reps Jackson had as coach. An all star guard does not call a backcourt the best shooting in history without a lot of consistent observation of the player's potential.

Steph is just reaching the potential, coaches have seen since his college career. It is rare someone works to their full potential, but he seems to have done it.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,888

Post#342 » by Tacoma » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:29 pm

StraightShooter wrote:It's hard to think that he can ever surpass Lebron though, there is no one on earth born past or present that can ever take any team scrubs or not--to NBA finals with such great CONSISTENCY as Lebron James. Well, just imagine putting lebron james to golden state and stephen curry on cavs and you will have the hunch what happens next. Lebron needs exactly what golden state have, give him that kind of man power and he will average 30+ 10+ 10+ and will stranglehold NBA championship year after year like boston celtics' bill russel era.

Constantly repeating LeBron making the NBA finals x number of times as if it were this amazing feat doesn't make it valid. The fact that LeBron has lost 4 times in 6 tries against the West in the Finals says that had his teams played in the West, he would not have made the Finals those 4 years. It says more about the futility the East teams have been than anything else.

Also, if GSW win the Championship this year like everyone expects, then Curry will be 2 for 2 in the NBA Finals. Two. That's the same # of Championships as LeBron. Two. As in Curry beating LeBron twice (assuming CLE makes Finals again). Frankly, if Curry continues to improve like he's been doing, I would not at all be surprised if he ends up with more Championship rings than LeBron.

I'm not trying to belittle LeBron as I think he'll end up being a Top 10 GOAT player. But I disagree with your statement that "It's hard to think that he [Curry] can ever surpass Lebron [sic]". It's not that hard. Unless Curry suddenly falls back to earth which at this point is unlikely. On the contrary, he's getting better.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,704

Post#343 » by homecourtloss » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:05 pm

Jordan23Forever wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:How would defenses help on Curry, help defense was illegal in that era? Do people not see Steph get open threes with his handles whenever he wants? Steph Curry would obliterate any defense played against him because of his ability to shoot from wherever and his ability to handle the basketball. This isn't like he's Steve Novak and his threes are just catch and shoot threes; he's pulling up from wherever and whenever.

I don't care who says it: a guy you work with, your dad, some poster on this site, some ESPN talking head, whatever current or former NBA player you want to name but there is no era of basketball where teams would stop what Steph is doing. None. He's more dynamic in this era due to the rules and 3pt shot but he would dominate any era with skills like these.

Curry's handles and his game are as effective as they are because of the current rules and climate of the NBA, and also his team composition. Make no mistake, he'd be great in any era, but he wouldn't be what we're seeing today. He's not like a Jordan, Shaq, or Lebron, who would get theirs in any team context in any generation. He's unique to this era and benefits from the era because his skill set and team makeup perfectly maximizes the advantages the rules already give him. Just the freedom of movement he has out on the floor up top allows him to set his whole game up. You could even see it on the final play of the game - 5 seconds left, and they don't even try to pressure Curry full court and use clock or give up the ball. Because they know they're not allowed to pressure and be physical.

This Curry would be a 23-26 ppg/7 ast/60-63% TS player if he played in the 80's and 90's. Still a HOF'er no doubt, but none of this "GOAT" stuff. People are deluding themselves if they think otherwise.

Forget about all time: RIGHT NOW, if you dropped Curry onto 20 of the other 30 NBA teams, his numbers decrease by 15-25% across the board. He's not Lebron. He's not Shaq. And he certainly isn't Jordan. Please.

The Jordan nuthugger brigade is in shock right--they never saw this type of conversation taking place this year.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#344 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:07 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:And how is this curry season better than Jordans 37 5rbs 4ast 2.9stl 1.5 blks ?

He played 40 minutes a game and his team was below .500
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
H20FAN
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#345 » by H20FAN » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:39 pm

curry has officially dethroned lebron this year...we have a new king
They call me hadoken because i'm down right fierce
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,884

Post#346 » by Richard Miller » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:40 pm

If he doesn't win the ring this year though, will he still be a god? :)
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 466

Post#347 » by Mr. Tibbs » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:45 pm

PizzaSteve wrote:
OsuCavsfan103 wrote:
TreasureCoast wrote:Curry might have matched 37ppg if he played in 4th quarters

No because as frail as Curry is, if he had to face the D back then where they could get away with so much more, he would probably be hurt a lot more and likely wouldn;t shoot as well. Like they say, back then a guy gets hot on a few you blast him pretty good to stop him. Now in this NBA anyone who went hard at Curry would get suspended.

I only see this type of quote from people who don't watch Curry actually play. It is flat out wrong. Welcome to 2007? I don't think I have seen a tougher player, frankly. When was the last time he missed a game due to injury again? Care to quote a stat or fact?

I see this said so many times and it irks me everytime. Shaq and Barkley say this at least once a week. In my day we'd put him on his butt and make him think about coming into the lane again. I'm sure it worked now and then on a few average players but most mentally strong players don't get passive, they get pissed and come harder. Unless you Karl Malone elbow someone in the face (which was as illegal then as it is now), no truly great players are going to shrivel because of a hard hit.
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#348 » by crazy_me_87 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Richard Miller wrote:If he doesn't win the ring this year though, will he still be a god? :)

i think this will totally depends on how it happens:

Will he continue his 30/5/6 madness through they Playoffs but then goes down with an injury in Game 1 of the Finals?
-Will not affect how people view him

Will he play horrible come Playoff time and cause GSW to lose against lets say the Cavs?
-Will dramatically change how people view him.. Lebron would be back on top.

1-2 Big injuries to GSW other than Curry himself(lets say Klay and Iggy miss the Playoffs)and he cant drag them to a title on his own
-Will slightly affect how people view him. Doesnt destract from his Individual brilliance but would still leave a slightly odd taste
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#349 » by Richard Miller » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:55 pm

^^None of that needs to happen though, he may play well, not get inured and they still might lose, yesterday's game could've gone either way for example.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#350 » by INKtastic » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:59 pm

Insane - that's become my word of the year this NBA season.

The warriors are going to shatter the NBA record for wins in a season where there's another team on a 69 win pace.

Curry is going to shatter the record for best PER ever and has already topped his own record for most 3 pointers in a season with 24 games left in the season.

Is Curry the GOAT? That's a career title, you can't be the goat from one insane season, no matter how insane.

Is he having the best offensive season ever? Most likely. There's never been a player who can score from anywhere on the court like this. There have been players who were also completely unstoppable, though. Peak Jordan, LeBron, Shaq, Wilt, Kareem. Curry has a strong case for this being the best offensive season, though.

Is he having the best season ever? No. As good as his offense is, his defense isn't close either Jordan or LeBron in their peak MVP seasons.

One thing he is doing is impacting LeBron's chance at GOAT. He could stand in the way of LeBron winning more title and hurt his chances, or LeBron could overcome the greatest regular season team ever and win, which strengthens his case.

As a Cavs fan, I hate that the warriors have suddenly become such a huge obstacles in Cleveland winning. As a fan of basketball, I'm in awe at what's happening and watch as many Warriors games as I can.

One more thing, it's ridiculous for people to run down the Warriors to prop up Curry. They have 3 legitimate all NBA players on that roster and just had a backup win Finals MVP.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Post#351 » by PizzaSteve » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:03 pm

I think it depends on the games themselves. There is so much talent in the NBA. I really personally disagree with the 'you ain't nothing if you don't win it all' crowd. I find Durant to be a superb player, title or not. Titles are for teams. Rating a player on performance at the highest stage, sure. Title is for the team though, and the franchise mgmt. It is not Cousins fault completely that Sac is not a title contender. Curry should be judged on his play and impact on the team, IMHO.
Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

Post#352 » by Chi » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:03 pm

1 of, if not my very favorite player. And there's a lot of insightful posts in this thread.

But I do not like this title at all...
emi_b7
Junior
And1: 498

Post#353 » by emi_b7 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Llull > Curry
[tweet]https://twitter.com/LigaEndesa/status/704016188226084866[/tweet]
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#354 » by yitur » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:11 pm

I do think Curry is having the greatest offensive season of all time, and if he can keep this up 3 to 5 years he can surpass Magic as the best PG of all time, his numbers are that ridicilous. But if I remember correctly this board was talking about how this era was soft, without hand checking and foul calls nowadays Jordan would average 40-50. Where are those people??
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#355 » by Richard Miller » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:44 pm

PizzaSteve wrote:I think it depends on the games themselves. There is so much talent in the NBA. I really personally disagree with the 'you ain't nothing if you don't win it all' crowd. I find Durant to be a superb player, title or not. Titles are for teams. Rating a player on performance at the highest stage, sure. Title is for the team though, and the franchise mgmt. It is not Cousins fault completely that Sac is not a title contender. Curry should be judged on his play and impact on the team, IMHO.

Fair enough, however would people think the same of Curry if he were playing for Wolves for example? I doubt it, or at least I doubt anyone would be starting the 'he's god' threads.
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

Post#356 » by TaylorMonkey » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:45 pm

crazy_me_87 wrote:
NBAfan3024 wrote:His work ethic shows how intense he pushes himself.

I have to say i am shocked about how much he has improved since entering the NBA. especially from Borderline All Star(2013) to Maybe best Single Season Player ever.

Has any GOAT level player ever improved this much after entering the NBA?
I cant remember one. All i can think of where clearly elite from Day 1 in the NBA.

Its a big reason why i was so skeptic till very recently. I just could not believe a guy not even an All Star at age 24, 3 years ago, doing what he does now AND keep it up. But seemingly he can.. and *gulp* even shows a potential another Level of Play recently.

It was arguable that Curry deserved an All Star selection at 24, but was squeezed out by Aldridge as a wildcard. Barkley made a rare pro-Warriors rant about it. Lee got the bid instead, partly because of his gaudier 20-10 numbers and because there were less bigs competing for the front court slot against him. It was immediately after that snub that Curry went into superstar mode.

But the years prior to that he was hampered either by missed time due to injuries, or having to play behind Monta Ellis who was sort of the face of the team and the ball dominant leader. Think about that for a second. But the moment and years he wasn't (his rookie year and his 4th year), Curry was very, very good, even when the knock against him was that he wasn't a true PG. It's not too hard to make the case that Curry deserved the Rookie of the Year selection above Tyreke Evans, who had a nice looking 20-5-5, but Curry was doing Curry things even back then.

Also prior to that, the Warriors just didn't have a very well built team and were a joke of a franchise. They had no All-Stars at all for almost two decades. They weren't going to select a tiny point guard with ankle issues without a winning record, and many fans were livid when the Warriors were finally a winning team, but their best player still wasn't selected even when the wildcard slot allowed coaches the opportunity to do so.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,430

Post#357 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:45 pm

H20FAN wrote:curry has officially dethroned lebron this year...we have a new king

for now. the playoffs haven't happened yet. Not saying the Cavs will win it all- but you never know.
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#358 » by KD35Brah » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:53 pm

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:
CallOfKtulu wrote:
OsuCavsfan103 wrote:
Curry has one ring, 1 NBA MVP, that's it. Curry really only emerged last season, so he has currently had 1.75 great seasons whereas LeBron has a decade of elite level play. Curry lovers are so quick to disregard everyone else because Curry is the flavor of the year. Sure he is talented as hell, he is the best shooter i've seen in my life, but he has a lot more career left to even come close to guys like LeBron, Kobe, MJ, Bird, Magic in terms of lasting legacy on the nba. I think he will get to that point, but comparing him and his few good years to guys that dominated for 10+ years easy, to me that is simply ridiculous. When Curry has multiple rings, a handful more NBA MVPs and a few NBA Finals MVPs, then talk to me with him on the level as the all-time greats.

Curry has been really good since his rookie season. He has improved dramatically, but you're a fool if you think he was a nobody before last season.

Before last season he wasn't even regarded as a top 10 player in the NBA. So maybe not a nobody, but not exactly setting the world on fire.
He's been a top 5 player since 2014.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#359 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:55 pm

KD35Brah wrote:
OsuCavsfan103 wrote:
CallOfKtulu wrote:
Curry has been really good since his rookie season. He has improved dramatically, but you're a fool if you think he was a nobody before last season.

Before last season he wasn't even regarded as a top 10 player in the NBA. So maybe not a nobody, but not exactly setting the world on fire.
He's been a top 5 player since 2014.

Starting last season is when he emerged into the top 5, I'd say by about qtr way thru last season that's when the whole NBA world really started to pay attention to how good he truly is.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,081

Post#360 » by MrBigShot » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:01 pm

INKtastic wrote:Insane - that's become my word of the year this NBA season.

The warriors are going to shatter the NBA record for wins in a season where there's another team on a 69 win pace.

Curry is going to shatter the record for best PER ever and has already topped his own record for most 3 pointers in a season with 24 games left in the season.

Is Curry the GOAT? That's a career title, you can't be the goat from one insane season, no matter how insane.

Is he having the best offensive season ever? Most likely. There's never been a player who can score from anywhere on the court like this. There have been players who were also completely unstoppable, though. Peak Jordan, LeBron, Shaq, Wilt, Kareem. Curry has a strong case for this being the best offensive season, though.

Is he having the best season ever? No. As good as his offense is, his defense isn't close either Jordan or LeBron in their peak MVP seasons.

One thing he is doing is impacting LeBron's chance at GOAT. He could stand in the way of LeBron winning more title and hurt his chances, or LeBron could overcome the greatest regular season team ever and win, which strengthens his case.

As a Cavs fan, I hate that the warriors have suddenly become such a huge obstacles in Cleveland winning. As a fan of basketball, I'm in awe at what's happening and watch as many Warriors games as I can.

One more thing, it's ridiculous for people to run down the Warriors to prop up Curry. They have 3 legitimate all NBA players on that roster and just had a backup win Finals MVP.

All in all a great post, you summed up this season well. Personally though, I believe there is nothing LeBron can do to challenge for the title of GOAT at this point. We've seen his peak already and he's 31. He can certainly improve his legacy and career resume, but it's more or less consensus that the best we've seen of LeBron falls short of the best we've seen of MJ.

If anything I think Curry could hurt his legacy. LeBron is suppose to be this 260lb, 6'8, point guard in a power forwards body with elite speed and athleticism who can literally do everything on the court. Yet, he's lost 4/6 times in the finals, only 2 of which he didn't have the supporting cast to realistically win (against GS and first time against SA). He's suppose to be chosen one. People had doubts as to whether or not Curry could even make it as a PG in the NBA, and just when you think he's reached his height he keeps climbing. Nobody would've thought 2 seasons ago we'd be discussing his season as maybe the best offensively ever. Curry having the opportunity to match LeBron in the most important achievement of all (rings) while doing so in the much more difficult Western conference will be incredible if he pulls it off. He can prevent LeBron from bringing a ring to where he grew up.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James

Return to The General Board