Curry is god

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Jellybeans824
Senior
And1: 860

Re: Curry is god 

Post#381 » by Jellybeans824 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:11 am

Curry is god
Wrong.

:lol: Seriously. Who decided to make this video :lol:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY9HjNWbJvA[/youtube]
2Irving2
Freshman
And1: 176

Post#382 » by 2Irving2 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:47 am

chefy12 wrote:Man this board hype ish up like crazy. Starting to look like Twitter/facebook now

Keep in mind these reactions are coming in the same week that he's had three 40+ point games and a 50+ point game and a dramatic finish against a championship contending team. He's on a crazy hot streak at the moment, eventually it will die down (I think), depends on what happens in the playoffs really.

Captain_Obvious wrote:Just unreal

I just don't understand how you can get to this shooting level, and where was it when he entered the league? It's like he sold his soul or something.

Okay, here's my take on this because I've been seeing this asked a lot. Curry has more or less always been the player we're seeing now for much of his career, except right now it is amplified by his confidence and his team's confidence and the way they are playing as a group. But Curry has always been a terrific shooter. Look at his numbers, even in his rookie season he averaged over 40% from threes. This season, he's only converting 1% more of his three point attempts as he did in 2011-12 season. The difference is he's attempting 6.3 more threes a game now.

So why was he only attempting 4.7 threes in 2011-12 compared to the 11.0 he's attempting this season if he could knock them down even then? Well, I think it's because now he has a great team around him and is pretty much in the perfect situation and system this season that allows him to do it at such a prolific rate. And don't get me twisted, I'm not trying to knock on his ability but I don't think he's transformed himself into something totally different than what he's always been. The numbers back that up. (Granted, Curry has added some things to his game like his dribbling, passing and ability to drive to the rim) But people need to realize the luxury of playing with a sharp shooter like Thompson who's probably the second best long range shooter in the league after Curry. Then there is Barnes who can also knock down three-pointers and has a very dangerous mid range game. And then if that wasn't enough, Green is also just under 50% from the field and just under 40% from threes, but the point is you give him an open look too and he can knock it down. Then you have guys like Igoudala, Livingston, Rush, Barbosa off the bench that can also score. This is an unprecedentedly talented offensive team. Kerr's system allows for each of these players to play to their strengths.

Again, I don't mean no disrespect to Curry because even LeBron and Kobe played with Wade/Bosh and Shaq respectively, which helped them too. But I think this is why some of the "detractors" in this thread are hesitant to give Curry this "all-time great" praise just yet. I think he's a bit reminiscent of Steve Nash when he played for the Suns and in an offensive system that made a lot of players look really good and where Nash won his two MVPs. (Coincidentally, that Suns team was managed by Steve Kerr) Obviously, Golden State is a better version of those Suns in that they're also a great defensive team and have now proven to win a championship.

But the point still stands, a guy like LeBron has dominated the league while playing on average teams and carried those teams to the playoffs and NBA finals. His numbers have always been consistently great, whereas Curry has only really come into fruition once the Warriors have surrounded him with arguably one of the best offensive teams in the history of the NBA. Not saying that he's a fluke, but I don't see Curry being able to sustain this kind of level for his whole career. Unless he plays on historically great teams for his entire career, but I don't think he could ever carry an average team like LeBron did and that's why some (myself included) still can't put Curry over him until he's more proven.

Also, I'm not a Cavs fan I made this account a long time ago I just liked Kyrie.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#383 » by michaelm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:31 am

2Irving2 wrote:
chefy12 wrote:Man this board hype ish up like crazy. Starting to look like Twitter/facebook now

Keep in mind these reactions are coming in the same week that he's had three 40+ point games and a 50+ point game and a dramatic finish against a championship contending team. He's on a crazy hot streak at the moment, eventually it will die down (I think), depends on what happens in the playoffs really.

Captain_Obvious wrote:Just unreal

I just don't understand how you can get to this shooting level, and where was it when he entered the league? It's like he sold his soul or something.

Okay, here's my take on this because I've been seeing this asked a lot. Curry has more or less always been the player we're seeing now for much of his career, except right now it is amplified by his confidence and his team's confidence and the way they are playing as a group. But Curry has always been a terrific shooter. Look at his numbers, even in his rookie season he averaged over 40% from threes. This season, he's only converting 1% more of his three point attempts as he did in 2011-12 season. The difference is he's attempting 6.3 more threes a game now.

So why was he only attempting 4.7 threes in 2011-12 compared to the 11.0 he's attempting this season if he could knock them down even then? Well, I think it's because now he has a great team around him and is pretty much in the perfect situation and system this season that allows him to do it at such a prolific rate. And don't get me twisted, I'm not trying to knock on his ability but I don't think he's transformed himself into something totally different than what he's always been. The numbers back that up. (Granted, Curry has added some things to his game like his dribbling, passing and ability to drive to the rim) But people need to realize the luxury of playing with a sharp shooter like Thompson who's probably the second best long range shooter in the league after Curry. Then there is Barnes who can also knock down three-pointers and has a very dangerous mid range game. And then if that wasn't enough, Green is also just under 50% from the field and just under 40% from threes, but the point is you give him an open look too and he can knock it down. Then you have guys like Igoudala, Livingston, Rush, Barbosa off the bench that can also score. This is an unprecedentedly talented offensive team. Kerr's system allows for each of these players to play to their strengths.

Again, I don't mean no disrespect to Curry because even LeBron and Kobe played with Wade/Bosh and Shaq respectively, which helped them too. But I think this is why some of the "detractors" in this thread are hesitant to give Curry this "all-time great" praise just yet. I think he's a bit reminiscent of Steve Nash when he played for the Suns and in an offensive system that made a lot of players look really good and where Nash won his two MVPs. (Coincidentally, that Suns team was managed by Steve Kerr) Obviously, Golden State is a better version of those Suns in that they're also a great defensive team and have now proven to win a championship.

But the point still stands, a guy like LeBron has dominated the league while playing on average teams and carried those teams to the playoffs and NBA finals. His numbers have always been consistently great, whereas Curry has only really come into fruition once the Warriors have surrounded him with arguably one of the best offensive teams in the history of the NBA. Not saying that he's a fluke, but I don't see Curry being able to sustain this kind of level for his whole career. Unless he plays on historically great teams for his entire career, but I don't think he could ever carry an average team like LeBron did and that's why some (myself included) still can't put Curry over him until he's more proven.

Also, I'm not a Cavs fan I made this account a long time ago I just liked Kyrie.

Agree there is over hyping due to his most recent games, but not so much that he will necessarily not continue in a similar vein; historically he has been better after the All-Star weekend over several previous seasons.

He was hampered by ankle injuries in his early years, has done significant physical training prior to his upsurge in recent years which has likely increased his ability to shoot from distance while keeping form, and was also I am afraid hampered by his previous coach, under whom GSW were a good defensive team but only mediocre offensively with the same talented offensive players you list.

I agree much of this (other than him being anointed as likely the GOAT shooter) is premature and evaporates if GSW don't seal the deal and win the title again with an historic or near historic record.

If he and LeBron are tied for championships at the end of the season with neither of LeBron's championships with Cleveland then Curry is definitely in the conversation with LeBron however imo. If LeBron has 3 titles, game over in favour of LeBron, again imo.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#384 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Tue Mar 1, 2016 10:45 pm

ninjamilk23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,133

Post#385 » by ninjamilk23 » Tue Mar 1, 2016 10:57 pm

I see a lot of people saying steph curry is the best player in the league right now by a wide margin and I totally agree. But even know he's the best player right now I would still rather start a franchise with Kevin Durant. Anyone else feel this way?
Sometimes I'll start a sentence and I don't even know where it's going. I just hope I find it along the way.
2 kewl 4 skool
Junior
And1: 259

Post#386 » by 2 kewl 4 skool » Tue Mar 1, 2016 11:31 pm

ninjamilk23 wrote:I see a lot of people saying steph curry is the best player in the league right now by a wide margin and I totally agree. But even know he's the best player right now I would still rather start a franchise with Kevin Durant. Anyone else feel this way?

I like Kevin Durant but no, he's too got damn beta.
rizkid92
Senior
And1: 253

Post#387 » by rizkid92 » Tue Mar 1, 2016 11:59 pm

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BCUP-rIwLF4/?r=782049461

Would you like some pepper to go with that salt?
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant

Post#388 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 12:11 am

rizkid92 wrote:

Would you like some pepper to go with that salt?

Lame...seeing as how horrible watching the Knicks is, you should have had more time to come up with a joke :D
michaelm
RealGM

Post#389 » by michaelm » Wed Mar 2, 2016 1:50 am

Certainly at the moment advantage to LeBron.

As I said if they both have 2 titles at the end of the year I think Curry very much comes into the discussion with LeBron in terms of overall stature, while if LeBron wins a 3rd title overall and a 1st Cleveland title I think he has proved himself the better player, with Curry at a high peak in his play with a good support cast and it being unreasonable to expect LeBron to be at his peak after this year, which he may not be even this year, after the physical way he has played his whole career.

In terms of general philosophy and ahead of results this year I tend to agree Le Bron can probably carry a squad of scrubs further, but it is possible that Curry is the better team player who can take a talented squad to a higher peak.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#390 » by SMTBSI » Wed Mar 2, 2016 2:04 am

michaelm wrote:I agree much of this (other than him being anointed as likely the GOAT shooter) is premature and evaporates if GSW don't seal the deal and win the title again with an historic or near historic record.

It would definitely be an huge disappointment.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#391 » by mtron929 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 2:33 am

How about this strategy to stop/contain Curry?

This comes from the idea that I had on another thread, which is that refs will not call fouls on every single play even if you foul on every single play. So do what Chris Paul does to Curry. Basically, be very physical (grab/hold) him on every single play, but make it very subtle. The worst thing that can happen is that you get called on most of them, but by doing this from the beginning til the end of the game, you shift the baseline on what constitutes a foul (that is you make the refs more amenable to physical plays).

One downside to this is that your PG might foul out in the 1st half. And if you have someone like Chris Paul, that might be bad. So my idea is this. Against the Warriors, you start a backup as a point guard and have him be physical all throughout the 1st quarter. If he fouls out in the 1st quarter, so be it. If not, then you exploit this weakness of the ref and keep on doing this all game long even when you bring the starter in the game.

Thoughts?
michaelm
RealGM

Post#392 » by michaelm » Wed Mar 2, 2016 2:44 am

mtron929 wrote:How about this strategy to stop/contain Curry?

This comes from the idea that I had on another thread, which is that refs will not call fouls on every single play even if you foul on every single play. So do what Chris Paul does to Curry. Basically, be very physical (grab/hold) him on every single play, but make it very subtle. The worst thing that can happen is that you get called on most of them, but by doing this from the beginning til the end of the game, you shift the baseline on what constitutes a foul (that is you make the refs more amenable to physical plays).

One downside to this is that your PG might foul out in the 1st half. And if you have someone like Chris Paul, that might be bad. So my idea is this. Against the Warriors, you start a backup as a point guard and have him be physical all throughout the 1st quarter. If he fouls out in the 1st quarter, so be it. If not, then you exploit this weakness of the ref and keep on doing this all game long even when you bring the starter in the game.

Thoughts?

Chris Paul as an acknowledged great PG himself would be more likely to get away with it; putting a scrub on him to specifically employ this tactic would be fairly obvious and likely rapidly clamped down on.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant

Post#393 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 2:49 am

obviously Curry is not god as he is out injured tonight lol.
ranlamjon
Banned User
And1: 56

Post#394 » by ranlamjon » Wed Mar 2, 2016 2:50 am

This respect for SC#30 is /has that WOW factor.......... these threads are the BEST thing in da world..... thank you as a true Dubs fan........... he's broken the NBA, amazing!!!!!!!!
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#395 » by mtron929 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 2:50 am

michaelm wrote:
mtron929 wrote:How about this strategy to stop/contain Curry?

Thoughts?

Chris Paul as an acknowledged great PG himself would be more likely to get away with it; putting a scrub on him to specifically employ this tactic would be fairly obvious and likely rapidly clamped down on.

So to make sure, I am not saying one should blatantly foul Curry. I am saying that you should conduct borderline fouls and try to get away with it. The worst thing that happens? Your scrub point guard has 6 fouls in the 1st quarter and you put the Warriors in the penalty. And afterwards, your starting point guard replaces the scrub point guard and do the same thing. Do you really think that the refs would keep on calling fouls from that point onward? My take is that they would, but inevitably, they would become more lenient about calling fouls. And if this continues on throughout the whole series, the tendency to calling fouls would not increase but reduce. Because refs just do not want this to be the focus of the series that he will bite the whistle more and more.

Why do this? If you are a 8th seed (e.g. Mavericks or Jazz) against the Warriors, you have NO shot at winning the series with a traditional type of an approach. It is just worthwhile to try something completely out of the box.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,455

Post#396 » by Revived » Thu Mar 3, 2016 4:56 am

The underrated aspect about him hitting the shot was his celebration after. I wanted to make fun of him for his dance moves but he was actually freaking good, pissed me off a little! How can you be that good and also have moves like that!
kaiballz
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Post#397 » by kaiballz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:35 pm

how can anyone hate this guy
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfZIvaHu2xI[/youtube]

but this thread isn't half bad, not like most others. quite complimentary in this thread, surprisingly.
kaiballz wrote:if anyone can make this comeback (3-1), we can.

I believe in this team.

Wed May 25, 2016 (GSW vs OKC)
Derrickt
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#398 » by Derrickt » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:29 am

ninjamilk23 wrote:I see a lot of people saying steph curry is the best player in the league right now by a wide margin and I totally agree. But even know he's the best player right now I would still rather start a franchise with Kevin Durant. Anyone else feel this way?

Hmm...no.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#399 » by NBAfan3024 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:08 am

our gawd
JesusHCoxMd
Analyst
And1: 2,528

Post#400 » by JesusHCoxMd » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:08 am

Curry has more threes this year than Magic Johnson had in his entire career. Image

Return to The General Board