NBA on deadly decline?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: RE: Re: NBA on deadly decline? 

Post#161 » by Prokorov » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:58 pm

King Ken wrote:
Prokorov wrote:a couple great teams

too few good teams

way too many awful teams

to me thats the issue. hopefully with the way free agency/the cap is the next couple seasons we will see several big market teams rebuild themselves and have fewer awful teams and more good teams.

id like to see some emphasis changes on how games are called to make bigs more relevant again. specifically with regards to foul calls against bigs on wings who drive the line.

There is only three awful teams this year. The Nets are one of them. The Suns just got bit by the injury bug.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

i count about a dozen or more bad teams
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NBA on deadly decline? 

Post#162 » by King Ken » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:47 am

Prokorov wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Prokorov wrote:a couple great teams

too few good teams

way too many awful teams

to me thats the issue. hopefully with the way free agency/the cap is the next couple seasons we will see several big market teams rebuild themselves and have fewer awful teams and more good teams.

id like to see some emphasis changes on how games are called to make bigs more relevant again. specifically with regards to foul calls against bigs on wings who drive the line.

There is only three awful teams this year. The Nets are one of them. The Suns just got bit by the injury bug.

Go for it

pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 708

Re: NBA on deadly decline? 

Post#163 » by pwayknicks » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:23 am

King Ken wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
King Ken wrote:There is only three awful teams this year. The Nets are one of them. The Suns just got bit by the injury bug.

Go for it

Nets
Sixers
Knicks
Magic
Lakers
Suns
Wolves
Pelicans
Kings
Nuggets

All are awful awful teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Post#164 » by They_Them_Hatin » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:46 am

Imo yes. It's just so predictable and repetitive like the WWE. Athleticism and shooting are at an all time high but I feel like I'm watching a pickup game between friends on steroids. There is no skill or competitiveness most of the time in this era. No I'm not an oldie , I'm 21 and have enjoyed watching hardwood classics than most regular season games.
Cicero
Junior
And1: 156

Post#165 » by Cicero » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:49 am

Zan7Z7Zz wrote:Am I old?

Yes.
The end.

Seriously. This thread is basically "Nostalgia bias and rosy retrospection" the thread. Have some self-awareness, jesus christ.
You ever wonder why everyone goes on about hip hop back in the day, back in the 90s, hell they might already be saying back in the early 2000s, people are that old enough by now...it's because the grass is always greener on the other side of the past, man. :lol: I can't wait for people in thirty years waxing nostalgic about how Justin Bieber represented the "Good old days" of music.

And the people going "I'm not an oldie" and agree are literally just those sad pandering examples of like, dudes in the comments in YouTube videos of 1960s songs going "I'M EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD AND LIKE THIS IN 2016, GIVE ME A COOKIE!!!!"
Hodges4Three
Starter
And1: 1,027

Post#166 » by Hodges4Three » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:57 am

I'm also 35 and I find the NBA just as entertaining as I did when I was a kid. The product is just different.

I will say though that I miss aspects of the old NBA.

Hard contact, no ticky-tack stuff or players like Harden making a living at the line off ref baiting and touch fouls.

Players were hyper competitive and saw opposing stars/players as enemies and took it to them.

These days all the "stars" from different teams are buddies and hanging out with each other, laughing it up before and after games. The atmosphere is just not the same.
kurtatx
Starter
And1: 921

Post#167 » by kurtatx » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:11 am

I'm in my late twenties, and the basketball product is as exciting as ever.

...just not my team this time :(
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Re: RE: Re: NBA on deadly decline? 

Post#168 » by King Ken » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:12 am

pwayknicks wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Go for it

Nets
Sixers
Knicks
Magic
Lakers
Suns
Wolves
Pelicans
Kings
Nuggets

Below average and average don't equal awful.

pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 708

Post#169 » by pwayknicks » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:06 am

King Ken wrote:
pwayknicks wrote:
King Ken wrote:Go for it

Nets
Sixers
Knicks
Magic
Lakers
Suns
Wolves
Pelicans
Kings
Nuggets

Below average and average don't equal awful.

None of those r average, below average maybe the Pelicans , but all else r 30 win n below in any other year

The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
BNelley24
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#170 » by BNelley24 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:40 pm

The NBA is unique, in a bad way, where it is the one major sport where only a few teams actually have a shot at winning the title. It is just how the sport is played, superstars win games. It is a reason why the 76ers don't deserve the bashing they get. They are trying their best to put themselves in a situation to become one of these contendes by acquiring superstar talent. In every other spot an 8 seed or wild card has a chance to actually win it all. In the NBA, it is basically pointless to be a 4-8 seed in the playoffs. Yeah, occasionally you might get a first round upset, but it doesn't mean jack because those teams still have no shot to win it all.

What the NBA actually would need to do, which will NEVER EVER EVER happen, is to get rid of some teams. THe league would be 1000x better if there were like 10x less teams. It would never happen, I'm not suggesting it, it is just the truth. With less teams, each team left would have more talent.

As a 76ers fan I am wayyyy more excited now than I had been over the last 10 years. I feel bad for fans of teams like the Raptors, Hawks, Grizzlies, Pacers etc. Their fans might act like they have really good teams, but it is pointless. NONE of those teams have a chance to win a title. In fact, I would literally bet my life savings & the life of my entire family that the Raptors would not win it all this season, and that is sad considering they are a 2 seed in the East. It means nothing, and unfortunately it is a reason the league is struggling right now

Quick other tidbit on my point...The Flyers of the NHL for example are battling to get an 8 seed right now. What makes it 1000x more exciting than a NBA team battling to get that 8 seed is because if the Flyers make the playoffs they hypothetically could get hot and win the Stanley Cup.
Sebastian
Head Coach
And1: 853

Post#171 » by Sebastian » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:02 pm

As someone who grew up watching Larry/magic/MJ, the games are a little less fun for me to watch these days because they're slower paced, longer with more commercial breaks and stoppages that break momentum, less intense/physical, and too reliant on the three ball. It's a diluted version of the brand of basketball I prefer to watch. Over the years there have been many iterations of NBA basketball -- the current one is certainly not the worst (hello early 2000s), but it's nowhere near the best either. For someone with finite time to devote to the consumption of entertainment, that makes it hard to get too worked up over the current product. It's just a matter of preference. I'm sure there are people out there who conversely love this version of the NBA and can't get enough.
BJGOAT3
Rookie
And1: 362

Post#172 » by BJGOAT3 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:01 pm

There is nothing wrong with the NBA today. Except from 2005 to 2007, and the two years Jordan was retired, league has been top heavy every year with 3-4 title contenders at most.

Transitional periods happen in the NBA, it is more than natural. It has to do with the talent in draft classes. After 98 draft, until 2003, no NBA draft produced a healthy superstar level player. However, the longevity of the top talents of draft classes before 98, and also occasional all-star level players in the 4 drafts in between, NBA didn't suffer heavily from the shortage between 98 and 03. After 03, we saw star talent in 04 with Howard, 05 with CP3, 06 with Roy, 07 with Durant, and 08 with Rose but they were mostly thin drafts in after the star level players, and some had their prime cut short due to injuries, creating a talent gap until the breakout of 09 draft class last year. Honestly I would consider years 2012-2014 a much worse time for the talent level and competition in NBA opposed to today. Kobe noticeably declined around 2011, Dirk went low key after his amazing run in '11 as well, pre 03 draft NBA talent's grip on the league was loosened heavily, creating the gigantic hole on the NBA for 03 super friends to dominate the league on the same team until Spurs completed their transformation, and then the 09 class broke out.

Today, NBA definitely has top heavy teams but there isn't a talent drought in any way, with drafts beginning from 09 to 12 that supplied star talent, along with considerable depth. We are witnessing the 3rd year of 2013 draft class and it turns out that even 13 wasn't a terrible draft year with players like Giannis, Gobert, Len, Noel, McCollum etc. So overall, I would disagree. The level of talent hasn't been this high in the league since 2010, or this deep since the early 2000's.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#173 » by Hangtime84 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Cicero wrote:

Yes.
The end.

Seriously. This thread is basically "Nostalgia bias and rosy retrospection" the thread. Have some self-awareness, jesus christ.
You ever wonder why everyone goes on about hip hop back in the day, back in the 90s, hell they might already be saying back in the early 2000s, people are that old enough by now...it's because the grass is always greener on the other side of the past, man. :lol: I can't wait for people in thirty years waxing nostalgic about how Justin Bieber represented the "Good old days" of music.

And the people going "I'm not an oldie" and agree are literally just those sad pandering examples of like, dudes in the comments in YouTube videos of 1960s songs going "I'M EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD AND LIKE THIS IN 2016, GIVE ME A COOKIE!!!!"

I've used to listen to the type of rap music like this in the 90s. The south has been doing trap music for a long time. Nothing as changed lyrics are dumb down so 6 year olds can sing in the back of the car with mom or dad.

It's pathetic...

Mainstream in the 90s wasn't excellent either better artists are still underground but with stuff like sound cloud other social streaming sites. They will get noticed more.

But you know what I'm glad i'm "old" cause I got to truly appreciate BET UNCUT as a teen
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
BK nets BK
Sixth Man
And1: 605

Post#174 » by BK nets BK » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:09 pm

i agree with op.

There are no good rivalries going on. Everyone in the league is buddies and that takes away from the excitement. Like someone else mentioned it reminds me of wwe. just random matchups with no meaning behind them. For me this season has been an all time low in terms of games watched. Even when im watching the game is just on in the background.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#175 » by PDX MM » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:22 pm

There is certainly a lot I don't like about today's game and over the last 3-4 years I have been watching less and less NBA basketball. For me it is the reality that the odds that my team will actually win a championship is virtually zero that drives it the most. The window for small market teams is so tight one has to be almost perfect at drafting/trading just to get a chance if things work out only to see our best player(s) leave the instant they can is enough to rip the heart out of a fan, least for me. It isn't even a choice anymore for me if there is a NBA game on and an NHL game I will watch hockey 100% of the time.

So why am I here then? A fair question and I think it is like being an addict. It is hard to give it up and even though I don't watch the game I do still follow it in news reports, game highlights, and yes basketball message boards. With all that said I don't agree with the op about the game being in decline. I think for every person like me and the op there are probably 5 new fans ready to embrace the game like I use to. Just follow the money to know the NBA game isn't going to die anytime soon.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#176 » by Teen Girl Squad » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:25 pm

I keep wondering about the whole rivalry thing. I agree that it was a bigger part of the past but I wonder how much of it was legitimately player based rivalries or how muhc of it was was being limited to listening to local media and having limited contact with "other" teams (aka just being huge homers).
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,103

Post#177 » by therealbig3 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Do you want intense rivalries, or do you want incredibly high quality basketball, like the inevitable Warriors-Spurs matchup in the playoffs this year?

Seriously, we may never have had two teams as good as the Warriors and Spurs meeting in the playoffs this year...which means, we're going to have some insanely awesome basketball. I don't need them to hate each other, or get into stupid chippy arguments. I want them to play high-level basketball and keep me entertained.
Cicero
Junior
And1: 156

Post#178 » by Cicero » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Hangtime84 wrote:
Cicero wrote:

Yes.
The end.

I've used to listen to the type of rap music like this in the 90s. The south has been doing trap music for a long time. Nothing as changed lyrics are dumb down so 6 year olds can sing in the back of the car with mom or dad.

It's pathetic...

Mainstream in the 90s wasn't excellent either better artists are still underground but with stuff like sound cloud other social streaming sites. They will get noticed more.

But you know what I'm glad i'm "old" cause I got to truly appreciate BET UNCUT as a teen

It's called having rosy retrospection, nostalgia bias. 90s rap had PLENTY of **** one hit wonders and pop hip hop and forgettable simplistic dumbed down ****, it's because you remember the classic songs, not the forgettable crap. In 15 years no one will remember the crap of this decade either. You're just repeating the same tedious psychological cycle your father's generation and his father's generation repeated. Hackneyed, if you ask me, I try to find good music I can relate to in every genre and decade.
Nothing sadder than hip hop elitists, tbh, whether they're trying to get some sort of perceived superiority over being underground backpackers or over only listening to old school rap, or whatever, in every case it's a insufferable pseudo-intellectual herb trying to feel good about the music THEY listen to & enjoy and thinking other people should feel bad about the music THEY listen to and enjoy.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#179 » by K_chile22 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:49 pm

"I don't really watch basketball anymore but since I don't know half the players the teams nowadays must be weak!"

Good lord.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Lala870
Starter
And1: 1,465

Post#180 » by Lala870 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:14 pm

tredigs wrote:OP is Goose Gossage.

lmfao
Al Harrington is my inspiration for weed entrepreneurship!

Return to The General Board