How would you rank the GMs?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,493

How would you rank the GMs? 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:20 pm

I imagine few of an entire list of all the GMs handy, but if you do, how would you rank them? If you don't, who stands out to you as maybe the top 5 or 10 GMs and maybe the bottom 5 or 10?
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,274

Re: How would you rank the GMs? 

Post#2 » by laploutocratie » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:40 pm

Teams With Top 5 GMs:

San Antonio Spurs
Golden State Warriors
Oklahoma City Thunder
Boston Celtics
Miami Heat

In no particular order.
x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,228

Post#3 » by lambchop » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:49 pm

Top 5:

spurs, warriors, celtics, heat, pistons

bottom 5:

nets, sixers, suns, kings, rockets
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#4 » by iMoreland » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:50 pm

hinkie

everyone else
deadfeather
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#5 » by deadfeather » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:58 pm

1. R.C Buford though I'm not entirely sure he is the decision maker and not Popovich.
2. Danny Ainge
3. Sam Presti
4. Pat Riley
5. Bob Meyers
6. Masai Ujiri
7. Daryl Morey
8. Chris Wallace
9. David Griffen
10. Mitch Kupchak
11. Donnie Nelson
12. Dave Wohl
13. Erie Grunfield
14. Jeff Bower
15. Dennis Lindsey
16. Wes Wilcox
17. Kevin Pritchard
18. Tim Connelly
19. Gar Forman
20. Rich Cho
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#6 » by tarantism » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:07 am

I would put the Celtics and Warriors at the top of the list.
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#7 » by King Ken » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:17 am

Buford
Ujiri
Riley
Ainge
Meyers

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,763

Post#8 » by MessiahUjiri » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:40 am

King Ken wrote:Buford
Ujiri
Riley
Ainge
Meyers

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This, in some order.

You could throw Morey in there as well.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#9 » by bondom34 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:42 am

Buford
Riley
Myers
Presti
Ainge

would be my top 5.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,168

Post#10 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:52 am

Tough to say. Hard to rank GMs when lots of their success is right place right time or just plain luck.

I was gonna write something much longer but really, the best GMs are those that don't hand out bad contracts to FAs, don't make knee jerk trades, and get value from all their assets. If a GM can do that, the luck will come
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#11 » by whocurrz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:06 am

Neil Olshey is a pretty underrated GM in my opinion. He helped build up the Clippers roster and had Doc pretty set up for success before he started squandering picks and assets.

For the Blazers he has been behind such picks as Lillard, McCollum, Crabbe, Meyers Leonard and the hiring of Stotts. Lopez trade was a nice move, got a solid return on Batum's expiring. Losing Aldridge for nothing was the only real blemish, but they were a pretty young playoff team all year that went to the 2nd round the year prior and it's hard to trade a franchise player at that moment. And they unfortunately lost Matthews right after the trade deadline which really hurt their chances. He still had a quick rebuild for Portland and going into this summer they have a young roster with promising talent and a lot of cap space. He definitely seems like one of the GMs who actually has a plan from roster design to coach which allows for a good transparency within the organization and a good team culture and helps players develop well and maximize their talents.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Method28
Junior
And1: 356

Post#12 » by Method28 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:46 am

1. D*** Doc Rivers

2. Does it matter?

Doc has proved time and time again that his keen eye for efficient, young team players has elevated the Clippers shot at a dynasty from unlikely to no f'in doubt
All-Fav Team
PG: Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Ricky Rubio
SG: Marcus Thornton, Tony Allen
SF: Nick Batum, Luol Deng, Danillo Gallinari
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin
C: Demarcus Cousins, DeAndre Jordan
Cheerleader: Ryan Gomes
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#13 » by pacers33granger » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:59 am

YogurtProducer wrote:Tough to say. Hard to rank GMs when lots of their success is right place right time or just plain luck.

I was gonna write something much longer but really, the best GMs are those that don't hand out bad contracts to FAs, don't make knee jerk trades, and get value from all their assets. If a GM can do that, the luck will come

Yup, you can add in the fact that some GMs get screwed over by taking the heat for decision's that ownership actually makes. Also, to the point about luck, some GMs are generally poor in some areas but it doesn't hurt them due to other factors (easiest example I can come up with is the Mavs and drafting, terrible at drafting but for a long time were considered a top 5 front office though they have slipped a bit lately it seems).
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,211

Post#14 » by og15 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:08 am

Dave Wohl (Clippers GM) should be near the bottom along with Doc and Kevin Eastman who are the President and Vice President of Basketball Operations
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#15 » by pelifan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:08 am

I actually think Hinkie's plan was a good one and he won every trade. He just drafted BPA instead of doing actual scouting and it has blown up in his face through no fault of his own.

If he were to do things differently I'd Imagine he'd actually put that capspace to use trying to find hidden gems that everyone forgot about in FA. They'd still be at the bottom with an incomplete roster but they'd be finding role players in preparation for their star and players of future value.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,587

Post#16 » by ajones9219 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:43 am

Method28 wrote:1. D*** Doc Rivers

2. Does it matter?

Doc has proved time and time again that his keen eye for efficient, young team players has elevated the Clippers shot at a dynasty from unlikely to no f'in doubt

I REALLY hope this is sarcasm lol
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#17 » by bleeds_purple » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:48 am

pelifan wrote:I actually think Hinkie's plan was a good one and he won every trade. He just drafted BPA instead of doing actual scouting and it has blown up in his face through no fault of his own.

If he were to do things differently I'd Imagine he'd actually put that capspace to use trying to find hidden gems that everyone forgot about in FA. They'd still be at the bottom with an incomplete roster but they'd be finding role players in preparation for their star and players of future value.

The biggest problem for Hinkie is during the rebuild the league went from valuing bigs to valuing wings the most while at the same time a lot more bigs came in the league. Five years ago there was a complete shortage of bigs and he could have dealt any of his at any time for great value. Now not so much.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,258

Post#18 » by Heat3 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:50 am

og15 wrote:Dave Wohl (Clippers GM) should be near the bottom along with Doc and Kevin Eastman who are the President and Vice President of Basketball Operations

Dave Wohl was once with the Heat and was the guy that hired (if you don't count the owner) Pat Riley to basically replace him. He drafted Kurt Thomas that summer before Riley came on board.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#19 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:52 am

I wouldn't say Hinkie is the worst GM or bottom 5, he has a plan and he's executing it, we'll see soon enough where it goes - but as of now I don't get how he is much worse than the other bottom feeding franchises, those guys have plans and are just failing at it. Hinkie is a really smart trader and I think he is a pretty good drafter also, can't really say he's a bad GM even if his team is tanking OD hard. Doc Rivers is a much worse GM even if he has way more success than Hinkie does, and it's not close.

The worst gm was Billy King, he destroyed his franchise, whether he was pressured into making the trades or not, his name was on the dotted line.

Pat Riley is an amazing GM, guy knows how to get talent to come, I'm sure Wade helps a lot though as he has quite a bit of pull with the players.

Mark Cuban deserves mention, the Mavs live through free agency, he doesn't get any superstar signings but he does make competitive signings every year. Cuban's not among the very best, because in all honesty he's made the Mavs treadmillish but he deserves to be ranked above average.

Kidd is not a good GM, he made an awful trade getting rid of Knight for MCW and Tyler Ennis. I give him props for getting a big free agent signing in Monroe, not an easy thing to do for the Bucks franchise, but obviously the Bucks did not need a scorer like Mornoe and a lot of their cap space is dedicated to him.

SVG is a titan of a GM! He's made some awesome moves with the Pistons, if he keeps making those little solid moves he's going to fall into something good.

I actually think Budenholzer is one of the worst GMs at the moment, the Hawks should have made some serious moves this tradedeadline, they lost out on some serious value not shipping Jeff Teague and Al Horford (should have traded Kyle Korver too in all honesty).

Who ever is in charge of the Pelicans might be the new worst guy in the league now that King's gone. I hate the moves the Pelicans make. They trade/throw money at flavor of the month guys like Gordon, Holiday, Osik and Evans and don't have the foresight to see that those are just average players (Asik not even starting caliber), I'm surprised they didn't trade for MCW from Philly given they seem to just draft whoever is hot in the NBA media.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#20 » by pelifan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:56 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:Who ever is in charge of the Pelicans might be the new worst guy in the league now that King's gone. I hate the moves the Pelicans make. They trade/throw money at flavor of the month guys like Gordon, Holiday, Osik and Evans and don't have the foresight to see that those are just average players, I'm surprised they didn't trade for MCW from Philly given they seem to just draft whoever is hot in the NBA media.

No arguments here. Never liked the guy from day 1. The fanbase is finally coming around to my line of thinking.

Return to The General Board