Fit for Love?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Re: Fit for Love? 

Post#21 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:56 pm

His back injury really has affected him
He's no longer all star . He was doing Stat padding in Minnesota
My Main Man
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,498

Post#22 » by My Main Man » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:00 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:His back injury really has affected him

The Wolves went from 40-42 to 16-66 the year he left. That's not stat-padding at all.
casketball
Senior
And1: 405

Post#23 » by casketball » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:23 pm

Still a very good player, probably could be the number one option on a very good team. That said, I don't want him on Boston. Teams target him constantly on defense.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"Get Out the Way, Let the Real F. Ballas thru" - Juvenile
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#24 » by Teen Girl Squad » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:29 pm

Kurosawa0 wrote:Three spots for me make sense:

1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Denver

All of those teams would be a good fit with Love and could probably do a great job of hiding his weaknesses. They also have the pieces to get a hypothetical deal done.

I do fully expect when the Cavs get knocked out of the playoffs for Love to end up in Boston. Maybe as soon as the draft.

Basically this, especially Boston as they have the pieces but don't have to give up all the players that would make Love a good fit in the first place. Plus a coach that is smart enough to use him correctly. I'd throw in Charlotte as its basically an upgrade from Jefferson but I don't think they have the assets to pull it off.
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Post#25 » by FrontPageNews » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:35 pm

naabzor wrote:People saying Frye is a better fit then Love are drunk or are really overvaluing the value of "fit"

Or, you know. Have actually watched the cavs play since the Frye trade.

Lebron needs 3 point shooters who know their role. And Frye is much better at that. Also Frye has been a much better defender.
dho4ever
Rookie
And1: 760

Post#26 » by dho4ever » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:01 pm

My Main Man wrote:

The Wolves went from 40-42 to 16-66 the year he left. That's not stat-padding at all.

That's not really accurate because the philosophy of the team went from "Let's make the playoffs" to "Let's rebuild".
tamao
Junior
And1: 181

Post#27 » by tamao » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:05 pm

My Main Man wrote:

they tanked to get Town (once in 10 years player).
strokerace
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,172

Post#28 » by strokerace » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:10 pm

I would rather have Wiggins. The Wolves really made out on that deal. I just want to join the ranks of those that do not want him on the C's. He sucks on D and that is what our success is built on.
My Main Man
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,498

Post#29 » by My Main Man » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:12 pm

strokerace wrote:I would rather have Wiggins. The Wolves really made out on that deal. I just want to join the ranks of those that do not want him on the C's. He sucks on D and that is what our success is built on.

Funnily enough, Love would actually fit with the Wolves pretty amazingly right now.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,269

Post#30 » by kodo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:12 pm

Is Kevin Love really being used incorrectly?

Yes his scoring is down, but mainly because he's not getting the post touches he used to in Minnesota. Post touches are basically contested mid-range shots, which is an anathema to modern coaching. Yeah a few possessions you can completely up & under a defender and get a clean layup, but that's happens rarely.

If someone is scoring on high volume in the post, it's probably on a lot of contested mid-range stuff, like Al Jefferson or Pau Gasol, with meh efficiency.

Here's one of Love's best games, 45 points, when he was with Minnesota:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZhxwzfwMpk[/youtube]

Granted this is an cut together...but that offense doesn't look like something I'd wish for. Love is scoring on players dropping the ball and he picks it up and lays it in, falling backwards on fadeaways that miraculously go in, and post moves where he's just throwing stuff up.

The few sustainable plays I see are similar to how Cleveland is using him, Love getting clean looks on open jumpers set up by ball movement.

Force feeding Love for volume scoring from the low post doesn't look that great IMO.
Sorkoram
Senior
And1: 284

Post#31 » by Sorkoram » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:26 pm

The difference in now and then was more explosion/solid base, he's just dropped too much weight, which is why he's so off-balanced this year. You can see him getting moved out the paint a lot this season going for offensive boards, but I don't think he was just throwing stuff up, that's how he gets his shots over either shoulder in the post. He had decent footwork, he just has no leverage this season.
Buckeye State of Mind.
Kurosawa0
Analyst
And1: 3,276

Post#32 » by Kurosawa0 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:37 pm

Teen Girl Squad wrote:
Kurosawa0 wrote:Three spots for me make sense:

1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Denver

All of those teams would be a good fit with Love and could probably do a great job of hiding his weaknesses. They also have the pieces to get a hypothetical deal done.

I do fully expect when the Cavs get knocked out of the playoffs for Love to end up in Boston. Maybe as soon as the draft.

Basically this, especially Boston as they have the pieces but don't have to give up all the players that would make Love a good fit in the first place. Plus a coach that is smart enough to use him correctly. I'd throw in Charlotte as its basically an upgrade from Jefferson but I don't think they have the assets to pull it off.

I think the deal that makes sense is Crowder (maybe Avery Bradley) to Cleveland, Love to Boston and the Brooklyn pick to a third team with something else going back to Cleveland from that third team. Maybe Denver sending Gallinari to Cleveland, getting the Brooklyn pick and getting the Amir Johnson contract back.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,015

Post#33 » by vxmike » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:39 pm

FrontPageNews wrote:
Lebron needs 3 point shooters who know their role. And Frye is much better at that. Also Frye has been a much better defender.

Agree. What's funny is that Lebron insists on playing next to multiple other superstars, yet doesn't work to integrate their talents. Any good GM knows that three ball dominant stars (and 2 of them either suck or don't care on D) isn't a good fit. There is a reason the Jordan/Pippen/Rodman trio was the most successful..they FIT together perfectly.

Frye probably replicates 75% of what Love does for the Cavs and they basically got him for free. Love's rebounding prowess isn't necessary with Thompson, Mozgov and Lebron on the roster. Imagine if they would have traded Love (or just kept Wiggins) for 3&D wings and/or a rim protector up front. But nooo...Lebron needs his co-stars. It's just weird.
The411
Pro Prospect
And1: 473

Post#34 » by The411 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Imo he's a great fit for Portland provided they can get a physical 4/5
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#35 » by bmurph128 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:49 pm

Love is a good fit in Cleveland. He's obviously going to take a backseat to LeBron...and we haven't even seen them together for two postseasons yet. Let's see how it looks in the playoffs.
Kurosawa0
Analyst

Post#36 » by Kurosawa0 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:49 pm

vxmike wrote:
FrontPageNews wrote:

Agree. What's funny is that Lebron insists on playing next to multiple other superstars, yet doesn't work to integrate their talents. Any good GM knows that three ball dominant stars (and 2 of them either suck or don't care on D) isn't a good fit. There is a reason the Jordan/Pippen/Rodman trio was the most successful..they FIT together perfectly.

Frye probably replicates 75% of what Love does for the Cavs and they basically got him for free. Love's rebounding prowess isn't necessary with Thompson, Mozgov and Lebron on the roster. Imagine if they would have traded Love (or just kept Wiggins) for 3&D wings and/or a rim protector up front. But nooo...Lebron needs his co-stars. It's just weird.

Well every great player has had to play with other great players, but the right great players. Jordan found the perfect compliment to his game in Pippen. Imagine how differently we might view Magic if he didn't have the scorers next to him that allowed him to play to his strengths.

LeBron has never found those right guys. I think we'd look at it a lot differently if say he got to play with a prime Ray Allen and maybe like an athletic big that could shoot like Anthony Davis or Towns. Wade and Kyrie need the ball. Which is fine, but it has always been better in LeBron's hands. Bosh and Love are rhythm players that wouldn't be suited to be the third option on any team. The ability to pick the right spot was a very underrated aspect that made Pau and Pippen so great on those title teams.
Kurosawa0
Analyst

Post#37 » by Kurosawa0 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:53 pm

bmurph128 wrote:Love is a good fit in Cleveland. He's obviously going to take a backseat to LeBron...and we haven't even seen them together for two postseasons yet. Let's see how it looks in the playoffs.

The problem is that their going to lose in the playoffs. This isn't a team that's headed towards a title. They're going to lose either in the Finals or maybe, maybe in the ECF. When that happens, what do you change? LeBron's going to be a free agent, so you can't move him. You're not moving Kyrie, who's still what? 24? Love is the obvious guy to move.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#38 » by RCM88x » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:29 pm

It is still to be seen if his style if better suited for the playoffs, he played a bit better in the 3 1/2 games last year against the Celtics than he was for the second half of the year from what I remember. If he does well in the playoffs then they will keep him, even if the Cavs dont win a title. However if he continues to struggle then he will be gone fast.

I'm just not sure if he is the right fit anymore, especially considering how different the offense is from day 1 of the 14-15 season. The Cavs need a top tier 3&D wing who can shoot the 3 at a nice rate and allow Lebron to play the 4 for good minutes and not have to be the primary ball handler.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#39 » by rugbyrugger23 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Irving + Love for Favors +Hayward

C: Gobert
F: Love
F: Hood
G: Exum
G: Irving
6: Burks
Jazz get 2 locked in stud players

C: Favors
F: TT
F: LBJ
G: Hayward
G: Delly and vet...with LBJ as point forward PG not so important
6: Shump
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#40 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Other than playing inside some more, what exactly is CLE supposed to do for Love? Ever since he lost that weight he doesn't seem as good inside. He shows flashes now and then, but honestly it seems to me it's mostly the fact that he was the go to in Minnesota and that made him look a lot better than he really is. I agree they shouldn't camp him outside so much, but he is still averaging. His 3pt shooting has never been that good, his fg% is down a bit bc he is shooting more 3's, but otherwise it's not far off his totals in Minn. He is taking less shots a game bc he isn't the go to guy on offense anymore unlike Minn. His rebounding is down a bit bc he is outside more so less offensive rebounds, and he is not the only guy to get boards on CLE like he was the main rebounder in Minn.

Kevin Love may not be a great fit, but he is really not all that good of a player overall. People were just fooled by him in Minn because he was the main guy.

Return to The General Board