What's Zach LaVine's ceiling?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Re: What's Zach LaVine's ceiling? 

Post#101 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:03 am

tsherkin wrote:One has to wonder how he'd react going against starters more regularly, as well.

In 18 starts this year: 18.9 ppg, 59.5 TS%

Just look at his 3-point shooting splits
Starter: 39-89, 43.8%
Bench: 44-138, 31.9%
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#102 » by PharmD » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:14 am

Klomp wrote:
tsherkin wrote:One has to wonder how he'd react going against starters more regularly, as well.

And it's not just a mirage. When he comes off the bench he plays PG so he's always shooting off the dribble.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#103 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:21 am

Before the the draft i said LaVine = Brent Barry. Now, i'll still stay in the same lane and say he could be a rich man's Brent Barry or better version of Sprewell.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#104 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:34 am

Zach looks like a star when his shot is on. He wont give you anything anywhere else, but he'll drop 50 on you in a hurry when he gets into one of his zones.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#105 » by guille_4 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:13 pm

Klomp wrote:

Apart from playing off the ball as a starter, do you think playing with Rubio gets him better shots?
phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#106 » by phonzadellika » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:32 pm

guille_4 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Apart from playing off the ball as a starter, do you think playing with Rubio gets him better shots?

Last night, Rubio got him his first two threes, Zach took off from there.
Hindenburg
Head Coach
And1: 13,854

Post#107 » by Hindenburg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:40 pm

He is a bit of a ballhog. He always wants to get his when he is out there. I like his progress so far but I feel like he is taking shots away from Wiggins and Towns.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,229

Post#108 » by brutalitops » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:48 pm

Im not too sure, He could be anything

He came into the league a high pick even if he was pretty raw, He showed promise however was probably one of the worst players in the NBA last season

This season hes progressed a lot more, Has a left hand (almost refused to use his left last season) his outside shooting is more consistent, Will look for a pass.

I think he could be the Bill gates Version of Gerald green, has a good pull up mid range, can catch and shoot. Athletic slasher. Not a great defensive player but he absolutly has the length, athletism, and his learning curve suggests he has a lot more improvement.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,211

Post#109 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:59 pm

wablty wrote:He started the last month or two of last season and is starting again (and playing heavy minutes) now. He's doing pretty well. Good games, bad games, but given his age, I think it's possible and maybe likely that he turns into a very good player. He's still got a lot to work on. Like all the Wolves younger guys, he can fall in love with the long 2 just because it's open and sometimes he takes difficult shots before the clock is really wound down- It's great that he can create a shot quickly, but maybe that 18 footer with a hand in your face when there's time left to find a better shot can wait. He's quick enough to get that whenever he wants.

I mean, he's young. Being an idiot is sort of a given when you're that young. He's freshly 21. Almost everyone I've ever known has had all kinds of issues at that point, and even if you've been doing something for like 7-10 years like playing ball, there's a TOOON to learn, particularly as you get to a new level, get to a new role, handle more minutes, etc.

Stretches like this are encouraging, very encouraging. He has remarkable physical tools and while he isn't a primary playmaker, it's nice to see that he can do a few things with the ball and get it to his teammates and everything. He's definitely a guy I'm watching, and it's quite pleasant that he has Wiggins and KAT and Rubio with whom to work so that he doesn't have to flounder in an excessive-volume role. Also, he's exciting as all damned Hell when he gets out on the break, that's for sure. Such an effortless leaper.
WolvesGuy14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,047

Post#110 » by WolvesGuy14 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Hindenburg wrote:He is a bit of a ballhog. He always wants to get his when he is out there. I like his progress so far but I feel like he is taking shots away from Wiggins and Towns.

I'd be worried about Towns maybe, but even still that's the point of having multiple people being able to score.

There's a chance that Lavine ends up better than Wiggins.
noobcake wrote:I would trade Wiggins for Love any day. Wiggins projects as a role player for me.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 657

Post#111 » by YourBuddy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:23 pm

guille_4 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

They look like a quarter back and wide reliever who have an amazing connection when Rubio throws his outlet passes to Zach sprinting out.
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#112 » by freewhitemoon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:24 pm

pretty sure lavine is actually better than wiggins is right now. wiggins just gets a bigger role to justify that draft position. both are bad defenders

I remember reading on Jonathan tjarks' blog around the 2014 draft about how Lavine's college stats were pretty much comparable to wiggins'. It was just that wiggins as the no.1 prospect got his 30-35 mins a night at kansas while Lavine was the 7th man of his ucla squad
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,211

Post#113 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:30 pm

Hindenburg wrote:He is a bit of a ballhog. He always wants to get his when he is out there. I like his progress so far but I feel like he is taking shots away from Wiggins and Towns.

That attitude might be a little concerning, but taking away shots from Wiggins is actually a good thing, given how unremarkable a scorer he is at this point. Better to spread the development and see who takes off first (if at all), rather than force-feed one guy based on draft slot.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#114 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:42 pm

His ceiling is the second floor.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,869

Post#115 » by 510TWSS » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:54 pm

I haven't seen much outside of a few condensed games on LP, but maybe Jamal Crawford-esqe with a developing 3pt shot? I look at Zach and think, this is what a good Austin Rivers would look like.
Northern hoops
Senior
And1: 217

Post#116 » by Northern hoops » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:56 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zIFr1Slusc[/youtube]
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:00 pm

tsherkin wrote:

That attitude might be a little concerning, but taking away shots from Wiggins is actually a good thing, given how unremarkable a scorer he is at this point. Better to spread the development and see who takes off first (if at all), rather than force-feed one guy based on draft slot.

I agree with this, actually.

Don't agree with Sam's move of running late-game offense through Wiggins. It works sometimes, but I think he's too inconsistent at this point. Last night, he did it again, despite Wiggins looking hobbled most of the second half and LaVine being absolutely on fire from the field. Also, Towns was a bit ignored offensively for most of the game. It took two failed possessions before they ran the offense through Towns.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

tamao
Junior
And1: 181

Post#118 » by tamao » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:00 pm

NBA slam dunk champ !!!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:05 pm

tamao wrote:NBA slam dunk champ !!!

So you think he reached the pinnacle of his career halfway through his rookie season?

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:12 pm

How many of these players would still be taken ahead of LaVine if we held the draft today, knowing what we already know?

Andrew Wiggins
Jabari Parker
Joel Embiid
Aaron Gordon
Dante Exum
Marcus Smart
Julius Randle
Nik Stauskas
Noah Vonleh
Elfrid Payton
Doug McDermott
Dario Saric

Return to The General Board