What Player Do You Model Your Pick-Up Game After?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

RIP Kobe
Analyst
And1: 4,505

Re: What Player Do You Model Your Pick-Up Game After? 

Post#41 » by RIP Kobe » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:02 pm

I'm a fan of Michael's/Kobe's post moves, so I usually do those during pick up games successfully.

I rarely pull that stuff in real games though because I try to play more team basketball.
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,404

Post#42 » by Sakkreth » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Magic Johnson, love to pass (especially behind the back), love to shoot hooks, have long arms. Used to play point and I am 6'3.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,272

Post#43 » by Frank Dux » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:19 pm

Wonderllama wrote:Marcelo Huertas of course. The greatest Laker I've ever seen

Huertas looks like the greasy guy who's in the gym for a workout, and makes his way into a pickup game wearing a beat up pair of running shoes.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#44 » by tarantism » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:23 pm

Not sure if I consciously model my game after one player, but I suppose I play a bit like Klay Thompson. Tall for a gym pickup game guard/wing (6'4") and not the greatest athlete but I use my length to play solid defense against smaller guys. Good mid-range game and decent three point shooter, can make the smart pass and handle a little bit.
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,909

Post#45 » by chrismikayla » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:27 pm

Jared Dudley
[gfycat][/gfycat]
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#46 » by deanwoof » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:29 pm

blind prophet wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
blind prophet wrote:I don't play any more, but Laimbeer was probably the closest in both organized/street ball. Enjoyed setting screens, giving cheap shots, could extend the key.

I don't model my game after any player, but Bill Laimbeer would be the closest for me as well currently--I shoot a lot of set shot 3's on offense and am not above dirty tricks and elbows on defense or setting screens or grabbing rebounds. I also look horribly uncoordinated in a Matt Bonner way.

In my prime -- and yes that sounds ridiculous to me too -- I was more of an Eddie Najera guy just running all over the place hustling to death.

I had a coach who used all the classic "Not in our house", "Arm bar when people cut", and fighting for rebounds etc. We ran a 5 man passing game and I was the shortest center around so I'd often trail and was open as the last person up the floor or could bring the ball up enough to start the offense.

So I took what he said seriously.

Also my senior year Barnes was a freshman at our school, and he was really good even at that age, so he was our PG until he got sick that year and was maybe 6'5 or so all ready. So basically as center the pf, and pg were taller than me too.

So take a football sort of build but make them a basketball guy. LOL it worked sort of. But I could of played differently, but that's what the coach and team needed from me. And when you have a future NBA guy around, you basically adapt if you are the supporting cast.

But glad to hear that Chuck, I miss the scrappers of the older days, was really important to have guys like that around.

Dangerous in street ball though, you are eventually gonna have someone swing at you.

A guy I knew in college Tyler Z went to Elk Grove too and I recall him talking smack about Matt Barnes in high school.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,080

Post#47 » by MrBigShot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:29 pm

Probably Manu. Slippery, often out of control, unorthodox but effective at finishing, and good playmaking. Take a lot of ill-advised shots but make a lot of those "no no no no yes" ones.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
pwrshft99
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,078

Post#48 » by pwrshft99 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:29 pm

Billy Hoyle
#sadbullsfan
SH0KASE
Junior
And1: 434

Post#49 » by SH0KASE » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:44 pm

15 years of nyc park play

Im 5'8 quickest (not fastest) guy in the park with elite first step. If u dont foul or hand chexk i will get by u with my first step. Not the best at finishing layups but decent enough. I utilize the floater as much as tony parker does. Im also better 3 point shooter than mid range. And my primary strength is perimeter defense.

I guess u can say im a mixture of tony parker, deron williams and a touch of beverly.

And i hate playing against guys who get inside stop the dribble and than try to shove u out of the way to vreate space of a shot. Or the ones that stop dribble and showcase their terrible footwork traveling before any shot they take.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#50 » by blind prophet » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:45 pm

deanwoof wrote:
blind prophet wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
I don't model my game after any player, but Bill Laimbeer would be the closest for me as well currently--I shoot a lot of set shot 3's on offense and am not above dirty tricks and elbows on defense or setting screens or grabbing rebounds. I also look horribly uncoordinated in a Matt Bonner way.

In my prime -- and yes that sounds ridiculous to me too -- I was more of an Eddie Najera guy just running all over the place hustling to death.

I had a coach who used all the classic "Not in our house", "Arm bar when people cut", and fighting for rebounds etc. We ran a 5 man passing game and I was the shortest center around so I'd often trail and was open as the last person up the floor or could bring the ball up enough to start the offense.

So I took what he said seriously.

Also my senior year Barnes was a freshman at our school, and he was really good even at that age, so he was our PG until he got sick that year and was maybe 6'5 or so all ready. So basically as center the pf, and pg were taller than me too.

So take a football sort of build but make them a basketball guy. LOL it worked sort of. But I could of played differently, but that's what the coach and team needed from me. And when you have a future NBA guy around, you basically adapt if you are the supporting cast.

But glad to hear that Chuck, I miss the scrappers of the older days, was really important to have guys like that around.

Dangerous in street ball though, you are eventually gonna have someone swing at you.

A guy I knew in college Tyler Z went to Elk Grove too and I recall him talking smack about Matt Barnes in high school.

Bill Cartwright went to Elk Grove.

Barnes was over at Del Campo. Danielle Viglione was the best player though to come out of Del Campo.
dekobedeharden
Sixth Man
And1: 2,290

Post#51 » by dekobedeharden » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:50 pm

jr smith or james harden. massive amount of chucking shots and no defence.
Sorkoram
Senior
And1: 284

Post#52 » by Sorkoram » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:56 pm

Dame.
Buckeye State of Mind.
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#53 » by oceanlife » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:00 pm

Glenn Robinson or Paul Pierce and I think everyone would benefit from modeling their game after them. I'm a complete mid range fan boy, here's why...

I absolutely love the mid-range game because anyone over 6' can get that shot off against most defenses. The advantage to the mid range is that even when you are going against higher level players it's rarely defended well. Yes theoretically a pickup defense could keep you from getting easy buckets, but in reality they leave it completely open. Your typical ball hog drives to the rim and gets stuck, who is he passing the ball to? Not the guy at the three point line across the court, he's gonna dump it to YOU.

It's also the shot no one really wants to set themselves up for. Imagine a typical sloppy pick up game: You'll have 1-2 players at all time channelling their inner Curry and camping the 3pt line, the other two players will be crowding the post or dribbling 15 times in a row, so you have this really wonderful area between the 3pt line and the paint that is all yours.

And the mid range sets you up to look REALLY good even against faster players. If you pump fake a superior athlete at the 3pt line either your defender or their teammates will probably recover before you get to the rim. But if you pump the same player at mid range you are getting to the rack in two steps before anyone can react.

And the mid range shot is ACCURATE in real world situations. If the defender is playing you really close and doesn't bite then a simple turn around is difficult to block. I don't know anyone in the YMCA who can consistently hit guarded turn arounds from 22+ feet, but 10-15 feet is possible to do at a great percentage with moderate talent.

But best of all, the mid range game ages soooooo well. You can use the mid range at 18 and you can use it at 30 and I've seen old guys using it at 50+. It's a buttery shot that looks beautiful, will make you the top scorer in many pickup games, and will leave the better players scratching their head like "how'd he get some many points"
geezr714
Junior
And1: 481

Post#54 » by geezr714 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:06 pm

Jamal Crawford lulz.
Quiet-Dude
Analyst
And1: 1,676

Post#55 » by Quiet-Dude » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Joel Anthony
Klaw basketball
sterfry94
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#56 » by sterfry94 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:15 pm

Lance Stephenson in Schroeders body.

- 6ft1, 160, lanky
- Pretty good defender
- Can get to the rim but I throw up wild shots sometimes
- Streaky jump shot
- play with a lot of pace and energy
- I do have a few post moves sprinkled in for good measure

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,453

Post#57 » by Revived » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:17 pm

I'm like a more handsome version of Draymond Green.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#58 » by Goudelock » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:36 pm

I play like a 6'0 James Harden without a jumpshot. A lefty who takes it to the basket all the time, and tries to draw fouls on every drive.

And I don't play defense at all.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#59 » by Melvinlocker » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:38 pm

Sgt P wrote:I have not played pickup games, consistently for almost 15 years. I grew up a post player and try to mimic Larry "GrandMama" Johnson. Creating space either using my body or footwork against opponents on offense and defense. Then drop steps, pivots etc. I have a linebacker/ fullback build. 5-11 215 with broad shoulders

Now, my life is settled and I started playing consistently again and I absolutely want to change how I play. I am a quick, lefty with decent basketball awareness/BBIQ. I am going to start myself. Drills technique and it a great way for me to do physical training. So I just started but I am so excited about it. Right now, it all solo, next step would be organized games however that could be a year away. I really do see anyone player I would model game after now. ANY pointers on good books/youtube channels would be greatly appreciated. I am now trying to lock down a program to follow.

This might be considered me yelling at the cloud, just do not like how the game is played today. If I am lucky I might see great a team play and some awesome individual performances; however there is just so much horrible fundamental play. /EndYellingAtClouds.

Spoiler:
Image[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yYgcV0iOmw[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvZhhTrOj5k[/youtube]

If you are lefty with a decent jumper and handle, then you need to incorporate Ginobili into your game. I used to spam teams with this series of moves and just dominated. If you incorporate passing on your drives then you'll be unguardable.

If you want a post move to spam then look no further than Luis Scola. I've used the post scoop a lot now that I'm older and hardly anyone can stop that.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1gJKU7pltA[/youtube]
hawkschop1
Junior
And1: 30

Post#60 » by hawkschop1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:43 pm

TNT's Ernie Johnson

Return to The General Board