Do any other leagues ignore rules like the NBA?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,507

Do any other leagues ignore rules like the NBA? 

Post#1 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:14 am

It seems like each year, the NBA just adds a new rule to the list in which they decide to stop enforcing. Traveling happened a long time ago, now they no longer call moving screens, and so on.

Does this happen in other sports as often? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but just curious.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Re: Do any other leagues ignore rules like the NBA? 

Post#2 » by Goudelock » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:17 am

Baseball supposedly has a rule that states that the pitcher has to throw a pitch quickly after receiving it from a teammate. Many pitchers ignore this rule and take their sweet time between pitches (cough, David Price, cough). It's annoying and boring.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Post#3 » by PizzaSteve » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:17 am

Or perhaps the league defines the rules and how they are enforced and not you?

How about football, where an entitled patriots team gets a fumble reversed so they can advance to the SuperBowl over a management hated Raiders team. Not a Raiders fan, but they were job'd. tuck rule?
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#4 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:20 am

PizzaSteve wrote:Or perhaps the league defines the rules and how they are enforced and not you?

Or maybe you just don't understand the rules?
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#5 » by MikeM » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:25 am

The NHL is #1 in ignoring rules. Every year there's more and more interference.
PizzaSteve
Veteran

Post#6 » by PizzaSteve » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:27 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
PizzaSteve wrote:Or perhaps the league defines the rules and how they are enforced and not you?

Or maybe you just don't understand the rules?

Sour grapes never taste good.

Thinly disguised warrior hate should just get locked or stuck in the 100 other (I hate that the warriors are dominating and need to complain threads). Raiders fans are still complaining locally about the refs screwing them. Go hang with them and complain all you like. It is professional sports. And all about money. Look at all the weak penalties in football on defenders, designed to protect QBs. Basically only called on important assets. Pass interference is hardly ever called on the Seahawks when their 'elite defensive backs' were being hyped. They interfered on almost every play. This is pro sports.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#7 » by ace625214 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:27 am

Baseball has also ignored the strike zone rules for a long time. The accepted strike zone and the one in the rules are quite a bit different.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#8 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:31 am

PizzaSteve wrote:Sour grapes never taste good.

Thinly disguised warrior hate should just get locked or stuck in the 100 other (I hate that the warriors are dominating and need to complain threads. Raiders fans are still complaining locally about the refs screwing them. Go hang with them and complain all you like.

Have you ever made a half way decent post that has contributed towards any conversation on this board or do you just make **** up to distract others from your blatant BS?

I actually quite like the Warriors, I went to HS with Stephen Curry. Judging by who he is as a person, I would guess he probably wouldn't like you.

EDIT: Also, never complained about the refs, just asked a question.
PizzaSteve
Veteran

Post#9 » by PizzaSteve » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:32 am

Fair enough. I will stop posting. Or better yet, take advantage of the ignore feature. I am sorry my football example didn't meet with your eminences approval. It is pretty apparent to me that all sports selectively enforce rules to promote their financial interests in keeping the game entertaining. If you don't get that, you obviously don't appreciate my view on the matter.

Hilarious that you claim Steph Curry wouldn't like me. You don't know me. And yes we were practically neighbors. I buy his wife's olive oil in Lafayette at the market they shop at and walked at the same reservoir he often takes walks at too, so maybe they would like me after all. Amazing you can tell so much from a ball discussion forum about a person.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#10 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:41 am

PizzaSteve wrote:Fair enough. I will stop posting. Or better yet, take advantage of the ignore feature. I am sorry my football example didn't meet with your eminences approval. It is pretty apparent to me that all sports selectively enforce rules to promote their financial interests in keeping the game entertaining. If you don't get that, you obviously don't appreciate my view on the matter.

Hilarious that you claim Steph Curry wouldn't like me. You don't know me. And yes we were practically neighbors. I buy his wife's olive oil in Lafayette at the market they shop at and walked at the same reservoir he often takes walks at too, so maybe they would like me after all. Amazing you can tell so much from a ball discussion forum about a person.

You edited all your posts to include the football stuff after I quoted you. :noway:

In fact, you even edited this post from the original "Fair enough. I will stop posting."
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#11 » by joedumars1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:45 am

All the four major sports do it to a extent. Football with holding and interference. Hockey with interference. Baseball with the strike zones. Basketball does it the worst tho imo
PizzaSteve
Veteran

Post#12 » by PizzaSteve » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:45 am

I was still writing them. You responded like instantly. I often think about and update my posts. But for gods sake, PM. Me if you have a problem with me. The forum is not for personal back and forth nonsense. I quoted football in the very first post and you edited it out.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#13 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:52 am

PizzaSteve wrote:I was still writing them. You responded like instantly. I often think about and update my posts. But for gods sake, PM. Me if you have a problem with me. The forum is not for personal back and forth nonsense. I quoted football in the very first post and you edited it out.

No, you edited that in afterwards.

As far as personal attacks go, last I checked you came at me with
Sour grapes never taste good.

Thinly disguised warrior hate should just get locked or stuck in the 100 other (I hate that the warriors are dominating and need to complain threads). Raiders fans are still complaining locally about the refs screwing them. Go hang with them and complain all you like.

So trying to sit on a personal high horse seems a little odd to me.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#14 » by mtron929 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:54 am

What the coaches and the players figured out is that if they keep on violating the rules, the refs cannot keep on calling it. That is, Pop or Rivers can tell their players to set a moving screen all the time. The refs can call it a couple of times but if the players keep on doing it, the ref will not foul out the whole team. Then, what happens? Moving screen becomes acceptable. The refs are up against a losing battle and thus they will only start to call the blatant ones to keep the game moving. There is a slippery slope of what becomes acceptable once players realize that the refs cannot call everything.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#15 » by mtron929 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:15 am

The temporary solution to all of this is to just clamp down on a certain rule during pre-season games. That is, the refs can all be instructed by the NBA to be very harsh at calling moving screens. So what would happen in these pre-season games is that pretty much all the players will be called for a moving screen. And because these are pre-season games, no one will care too much, but the message will be clear to all the players. They will call moving screens more strictly from now on. And what would happen is that for a time being, players will be careful about not setting moving screens. And once sufficient amount of time (e.g. half a season, one year) passes by, players again will try committing a lot of moving screens to see what they can get away.

Return to The General Board