Fixing the Lakers

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Re: Fixing the Lakers 

Post#181 » by EddieJonesFan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:30 pm

Draft/scout well, that's almost always the biggest factor in long term success.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,802

Post#182 » by NZB2323 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:40 pm

The Lakers are in a fine position. They get to keep their draft pick and they have young players.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#183 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:04 pm

GoranTragic wrote:
Tarik Black wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:
Except Jeannie has told Jim that if he doesn't turn this ship around his ass is canned. Now she apparently doesn't even know what is going on with their coaching? Maybe the Buss Family should settle this outside professional sports.

I don't know who " Jerry " is. But It was Jim Buss that put himself on the clock, not Jeanie.

Fixed. I'm pretty sure that she has a strong opinion about the current team. What difference does it make about her role when she will be calling the shots soon enough?

First off, I am giving you information on the family and ownership group. You have said some things that are incorrect.

Secondly, the Buss family's ownership is set-up as a trust and when their father passed he gave them roles to move forward. There are 6 kids and they all have equal share and 1 can't sell their portion and vice versa. They do it as a family.

So at the end of the day Jim Buss is in charge ( as in the boss) of all Basketball Operations. And Jeanie is in charge of of all Business Operations. Jeannie does have the governorship role that could be used if necessary but it's not to that point.

Jim and Mitch are still running the show from the bball side. Means they can hire and fire, draft and trade who they see fit with out approval from sis. Why? because that is not HER role and it is theirs.

Much like Jim Buss doesn't get to decide what negations happen with Time Warner Cable, etc. That is her role, as the business side of things.

Finally, it was Jim Buss who said he will step down if this team is not back sooner rather than later, not Jeanie.

Jim and Mitch now get to see their cap space, draft picks and new coach in the post Kobe era come to fruition.

If you have any more questions let me know.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,893

Post#184 » by TeamTragic » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:34 am

Tarik Black wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:
Tarik Black wrote:
I don't know who " Jerry " is. But It was Jim Buss that put himself on the clock, not Jeanie.

Fixed. I'm pretty sure that she has a strong opinion about the current team. What difference does it make about her role when she will be calling the shots soon enough?

First off, I am giving you information on the family and ownership group. You have said some things that are incorrect.

Secondly, the Buss family's ownership is set-up as a trust and when their father passed he gave them roles to move forward. There are 6 kids and they all have equal share and 1 can't sell their portion and vice versa. They do it as a family.

So at the end of the day Jim Buss is in charge ( as in the boss) of all Basketball Operations. And Jeanie is in charge of of all Business Operations. Jeannie does have the governorship role that could be used if necessary but it's not to that point.

Jim and Mitch are still running the show from the bball side. Means they can hire and fire, draft and trade who they see fit with out approval from sis. Why? because that is not HER role and it is theirs.

Much like Jim Buss doesn't get to decide what negations happen with Time Warner Cable, etc. That is her role, as the business side of things.

Finally, it was Jim Buss who said he will step down if this team is not back sooner rather than later, not Jeanie.

Jim and Mitch now get to see their cap space, draft picks and new coach in the post Kobe era come to fruition.

Good that you keep up with the front office. However Jim/Mitch are clowns and if you think they are going to have some epiphany post-Kobe then you are as delusional as it comes.

Besides the fact that the sun shines on even a dog's ass every now and then :lol:
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#185 » by baldur » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:48 am

Renegade_H wrote:
Soupman wrote:Tank for high draft picks.
Scout young talent overseas.
Trade everyone that is not in the LAL long term plans for picks.
Sign a key free agent to the max.
Trade the picks+exp+young prospects for good role players at the deadline.

It should look like this.

1)FA difference maker(Durant,Derozan,Westbrook,Love)
2)Role players obtained via FA or midseason trades
3)Overseas talent and young prospects

The spurs and lakers are experts at doing this.

WAIT! This sounds like exactly what Sixers and Hinkie did! So glad to see another fan base realize its a good process to get better long term.

no it doesnt necessarily have to take 3 or 4 years. your process has taken 3 years so far. next year you will finish as either 14th or 15th in the east again. we have a very nice portland example this season. they even advanced from the last year's position.

so what we should do is chase youngsters from overseas and free agency, if we are lucky we ll have another high pick, we must have some incentives to draw superstar's attention. if we compete for playoffs next year with the addition of hassan whiteside or demar derozan, it would be good to be considered as a destination for superstars.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#186 » by LLcoleJ » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:52 am

GoranTragic wrote:
Tarik Black wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:

Good that you keep up with the front office. However Jim/Mitch are clowns and if you think they are going to have some epiphany post-Kobe then you are as delusional as it comes.

Besides the fact that the sun shines on even a dog's ass every now and then :lol:

Your posting /discussions skills are awful.
TeamTragic
General Manager

Post#187 » by TeamTragic » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:10 am

Tarik Black wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:
Tarik Black wrote:

You just tried to justify the garbage Laker front office and I'm awful?
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#188 » by LLcoleJ » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:28 am

GoranTragic wrote:
Tarik Black wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:

You just tried to justify the garbage Laker front office and I'm awful?

No, I just defined them for you.
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#189 » by RingsDontLie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:39 am

First step, get rid of Byron Scott....check

Now they interview Luke, and hire Luke as head coach. Get Brandon Ingram in the draft, or trade for Cousins...then sign Whiteside and Durant

D'angelo
Durant
Whiteside
Cousins
Randle

Big Ball is back.
Bandeazyy
Senior
And1: 578

Post#190 » by Bandeazyy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:45 am

RingsDontLie wrote:First step, get rid of Byron Scott....check

Now they interview Luke, and hire Luke as head coach. Get Brandon Ingram in the draft, or trade for Cousins...then sign Whiteside and Durant

D'angelo
Durant
Whiteside
Cousins
Randle

Big Ball is back.

see? just like that!
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#191 » by RollingWave » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:58 am

They need to fix the ownership situation , no one's going to prefer to come to a potentially unstable situation coach or player.
The river of time wash away all heroes
Alex DeLarge
Junior
And1: 318

Post#192 » by Alex DeLarge » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:34 am

RollingWave wrote:They need to fix the ownership situation , no one's going to prefer to come to a potentially unstable situation coach or player.

Ding Ding Ding.

As if Durant or someone of his ilk is going to voluntarily spend their prime playing for a franchise that's in total disarray. LeBron signed with Miami, at least in part, because he had faith in Pat Riley to surround him with the right pieces. The Buss children are totally incompetent, and Mitch Kupchak is just a mouthpiece.

It's true that the Lakers are not the FA destination that they are often made out to be. Shaq was the last (and perhaps the only) big star that they signed. However, during the Phil-West-Shaq-Kobe era the Lakers were an attraction for high-quality veterans. The guys who filled out the roster during the Shaq-Kobe era were outstanding role players (Fox, Harper, Shaw, Horry, Horace, Fisher). That's why they were able to threepeat without a 3rd all-star. Similarly, during the Kobe-Pau era they were able to sign guys like Ron Artest and Matt Barnes and Steve Blake.

Nowadays, if good, savvy veterans want to move to California they are joining the Warriors. Golden State are the attraction for veteran free agents, and it will probably remain the case for the next 5-10 years.

I seriously don't see the Lakers being a serious contender at any point during the next five years.
WVlakerfan
Junior
And1: 97

Post#193 » by WVlakerfan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:27 am

aIvin adams wrote:Can't be fixed. Move the team to Seattle and rebrand as Supersonics.

This thread is for the Lakers you are thinking of the Clippers.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
TeamTragic
General Manager

Post#194 » by TeamTragic » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:21 pm

WVlakerfan wrote:
aIvin adams wrote:Can't be fixed. Move the team to Seattle and rebrand as Supersonics.

This thread is for the Lakers you are thinking of the Clippers.

Nope. He is talking about Phoenix. Though I would keep them the Seattle SUNS ;)
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,440

Post#195 » by ImSlower » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:44 pm

I'll be pretty darn surprised if the Lakers don't hire Luke Walton.

I am oddly rooting for the Lakers to sign Durant and nab Ingram. Who the hell guards those two on the court at the same time? Then again, Hibbert was pretty useless, and I'm not sure that Randle has the strength to be the only physical big guy on the court.

I have absolutely no inkling what the 2016 Lakers will look like. They could, with some luck, jump up into playoff contention (Not championship contenders, but a dangerous and exciting team) in the coming years pretty quickly.
mihail_petkov
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Post#196 » by mihail_petkov » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Sign Batum and Whiteside

Russel
Clarkson
Batum
Randle
Whiteside

+ top 2-3 pick + cap space for Durant/Westbrook in 2017.
TeamTragic
General Manager

Post#197 » by TeamTragic » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:37 pm

mihail_petkov wrote:Sign Batum and Whiteside

Russel
Clarkson
Batum
Randle
Whiteside

Not a bad plan. However dreaming is free :D
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#198 » by lamscott » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:17 pm

mihail_petkov wrote:Sign Batum and Whiteside

Russel
Clarkson
Batum
Randle
Whiteside

That is a pipe dream. But I am with you all the way.
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#199 » by simon24 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:29 am

Put out offers for Ian Clark (backup SG), James Michael McAdoo, Ezeli & Harrison Barnes (forces GS to make a decision on their pursuit of KD).

Sign Brandon Rush (veteran presence at SF off bench).

Resign Clarkson, Huertas & Kelly.

Use Stretch Provision on Young.

Let Black walk.

Draft Ingram/Simmons (if GS matches Barnes deal) or draft Bender.

If Lakers lose pick and strike out Barnes/Ezeli:
Sign Bazemore/Harkless
Sign Biyumbo
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#200 » by LakersLegacy » Sun May 1, 2016 3:20 am

Did the Lakers actually make the right moves since Dwight left and followed the rebuild through the draft strategy as good as possible?

Luke hired
Most cap room this off-season
Hopefully a top 3 pick (although its a coin flip)

It's not going to happen but what if Lakers got the #1 pick, Durant came (like Shaq said), and the Lakers signed some other good free agents?

Return to The General Board