LeBron James Does Not Agree With the term "Valuable" in the current MVP Award.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,925

Re: LeBron James Does Not Agree With the term "Valuable" in the current MVP Award. 

Post#161 » by HerSports85 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:17 am

The NBA has to come out and clearly define the award. But for ppl saying Lebron had the better year have to stop commenting on basketball. There could be a serious debate on "Valuable" but that's it.
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
mihail_petkov
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Re: LeBron James Does Not Agree With the term "Valuable" in the current MVP Award. 

Post#162 » by mihail_petkov » Sat May 14, 2016 8:22 am

Lotsix wrote:not at all, the player thats MOST valuable to his team is Lebron, Lebron goes down with an injury and the cavs are done....GSW would be fine without Curry....thats what the player that is most VALUABLE to his team means

lol...

Most valuable doesn't mean that Team A without its best player will have less than Team B without its best player. For example - if Cavs without LeBron win 38 instead of 58 and Warriors without Curry win 55 instead of 73 (20 less wins for Cavs and 18 less for Warriors), doesn't mean that LeBron is more valuable. It's much more difficult to improve to 73 than to 58.

If this is your logic, let's give the award to Cousins or Melo because they will win less games than Curry or LeBron :lol:
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#163 » by DWadeno3 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:44 am

He has a point, it's just odd of him to bring it up this year.

#HeatLifer
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#164 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:17 am

DWadeno3 wrote:He has a point, it's just odd of him to bring it up this year.

Well if it were personal he would've brought it up last year. i think it was because he was asked directly about the term valuable or maybe he's been thinking about it. I personally think CP3 might be the one to bring up the "valuable" comment, he would've won one if it was based on importance to the team.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#165 » by miltk » Sat May 14, 2016 10:04 am

lebron is like this guy at a party who's losing his audience so he has to make unsolicited comments to make sure everyone is aware of him. the definition of "valuable" vs "best" has been ongoing for decades in all sports. no one needs lebron to bring it up.

to bestow the label of "best" on any athlete is not only absurd, it is elitist by nature and condescending as well. "most valuable" allows voters to exposit their views on several players because of the multi-facted nature of being a great player. let's save "best" for when you retire, and then we can debate if you are "BETTER" than bird or duncan or magic or mj or oscar or kaj or wilt or shaq or russell.
runtmc91
Junior
And1: 148

Post#166 » by runtmc91 » Sat May 14, 2016 1:43 pm

What's always made sense to me is that it shouldn't be who's most valuable to their team, but who's most valuable to the league. Just wish the NBA would adopt this line of thinking and announce it.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#167 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:25 pm

I wouldn't blame LeBron if he was a bit salty, because it's clear LeBron is still the best all-around player in the NBA. Curry is the best offensive weapon in the NBA no question, but the complete NBA player package, it's definitely still LeBron and it shouldn't even be close. People see Curry and his ridiculous shooting and they forget the fact LeBron is a better scorer inside, better defender, better rebounder, better shot blocker, and about the same passing wise. So essentially Curry only has him on FTs and 3pt shooting.

But like I said, people get caught up in what's new and flashy and Curry is that new shiny toy.
mihail_petkov
Bench Warmer

Post#168 » by mihail_petkov » Sat May 14, 2016 2:36 pm

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:I wouldn't blame LeBron if he was a bit salty, because it's clear LeBron is still the best all-around player in the NBA. Curry is the best offensive weapon in the NBA no question, but the complete NBA player package, it's definitely still LeBron and it shouldn't even be close. People see Curry and his ridiculous shooting and they forget the fact LeBron is a better scorer inside, better defender, better rebounder, better shot blocker, and about the same passing wise. So essentially Curry only has him on FTs and 3pt shooting.

But like I said, people get caught up in what's new and flashy and Curry is that new shiny toy.

You are the biggest Warriors/Curry hater ever man. Every topic, every discussion when I read you are there to discredit Curry and Warriors and kiss James ass :lol:

Curry is better passer and ball handler than LeBron.
Curry is maybe even better rebounder than LeBron. LeBron may have 7.5 rebounds per 36 vs 5.7 for Curry but this doesn't mean that LeBron is better rebounder. 5.7 rebounders for 6'3 PG is much more difficult and impressive than 7.5 for 6'8 SF/PF.
Curry is better 3 point shooter, mid-range shooter, FT shooter.
LeBron is better inside the rim? Try again... it's pretty close.
56.5% for Curry vs 54.5 for LeBron driving to the rim. http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/shooting/?sort=DRIVE_FG_PCT&dir=1&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season
Post touches FG% are 67% for LeBron vs 61% for Curry
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant

Post#169 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:46 pm

mihail_petkov wrote:
OsuCavsfan103 wrote:I wouldn't blame LeBron if he was a bit salty, because it's clear LeBron is still the best all-around player in the NBA. Curry is the best offensive weapon in the NBA no question, but the complete NBA player package, it's definitely still LeBron and it shouldn't even be close. People see Curry and his ridiculous shooting and they forget the fact LeBron is a better scorer inside, better defender, better rebounder, better shot blocker, and about the same passing wise. So essentially Curry only has him on FTs and 3pt shooting.

You are the biggest Warriors/Curry hater ever man. Every topic, every discussion when I read you are there to discredit Curry and Warriors and kiss James ass :lol:

Curry is better passer and ball handler than LeBron.
Curry is maybe even better rebounder than LeBron. LeBron may have 7.5 rebounds per 36 vs 5.7 for Curry but this doesn't mean that LeBron is better rebounder. 5.7 rebounders for 6'3 PG is much more difficult and impressive than 7.5 for 6'8 SF/PF.
Curry is better 3 point shooter, mid-range shooter, FT shooter.
LeBron is better inside the rim? Try again... it's pretty close.

Curry is a better ball handler but no he is not a better passer. That second line is just dumb.... Curry is nowhere near the rebounder LeBron is. So you use size, but ignore the fact that LeBron has two of the better rebounders in the league in Love and TT taking away from his numbers. Agreed on line 4. Line 5, just no, just no way. Curry can finish pretty well, but LeBron is one of the best at the rim finishers in league history.

Funny thing is, the only thing that's down for LeBron from last season is 3pt shooting, everything else is essentially up... this is the same LeBron who dominated the NBA Finals by himself, while Curry needed Iggy to win the Finals MVP because Curry couldn't even lead his own team last playoffs.

You are right I do not like Curry, he is the most smug, cocky person in the NBA. Outside the game he may be a good dude, but on the hardwood I can't stand the kid. You can call it whatever you want, but even if I still despised LeBron like Cavs fans did '10-'14, I would still dislike Curry.
mihail_petkov
Bench Warmer

Post#170 » by mihail_petkov » Sat May 14, 2016 2:49 pm

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:So you use size, but ignore the fact that LeBron has two of the better rebounders in the league in Love and TT taking away from his numbers

Yes, because with the amazing rebounders Chris Bosh, Joel Anthony and company, in LeBron's peak he had so many more rebounds - 7.6 :lol:

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:Curry is a better ball handler but no he is not a better passer. That second line is just dumb.... Curry is nowhere near the rebounder LeBron is. So you use size, but ignore the fact that LeBron has two of the better rebounders in the league in Love and TT taking away from his numbers. Agreed on line 4. Line 5, just no, just no way. Curry can finish pretty well, but LeBron is one of the best at the rim finishers in league history.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

56.5% for Curry vs 54.5 for LeBron driving to the rim. http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/shooting/?sort=DRIVE_FG_PCT&dir=1&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant

Post#171 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:02 pm

mihail_petkov wrote:
OsuCavsfan103 wrote:So you use size, but ignore the fact that LeBron has two of the better rebounders in the league in Love and TT taking away from his numbers

Yes, because with the amazing rebounders Chris Bosh, Joel Anthony and company, in LeBron's peak he had so many more rebounds - 7.6 :lol:

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:Curry is a better ball handler but no he is not a better passer. That second line is just dumb.... Curry is nowhere near the rebounder LeBron is. So you use size, but ignore the fact that LeBron has two of the better rebounders in the league in Love and TT taking away from his numbers. Agreed on line 4. Line 5, just no, just no way. Curry can finish pretty well, but LeBron is one of the best at the rim finishers in league history.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't doubt it seeing as LeBron has been getting hacked all year and not getting calls he usually gets when attacking. I'm not even making that up, it's been noticed all season by many people.

I would expect LeBron to lead him in post up fg%, he is a lot stronger and bigger.

I'm not saying Curry is chopped liver, he just isn't better than LeBron.
Crossy2008
Sixth Man
And1: 1,163

Post#172 » by Crossy2008 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:10 pm

Interestingly, if we are going purely on value then Kobe should win it. He single handedly pushed ticket sales through the roof while playing for a team that had the second worst record in the league.

Or most valuable to his team, I would have to go with Lillard. LeBron is playing with Love, Kyrie, and Thompson, who were all top draft picks and a couple of them All-Stars. Lillard had four new starters to play with and they ended up miles ahead of where most thought they would finish. Meanwhile, Cleveland finished only one game ahead of Toronto, who only has two All-Stars.

Being that the MVP is a regular season award, the effort of James in the post season has no merit in the discussion, and the Cavs regular season should be seen as an underachievement.

For Curry, his team overachieved. He also found himself on the bench a lot for fourth quarters because his team had no reason to put him back in. His PPG were diminished due to the twenty or so victories by 19 or more.
2 kewl 4 skool
Junior
And1: 259

Post#173 » by 2 kewl 4 skool » Sat May 14, 2016 4:01 pm

Axl Rose wrote:hes not wrong but he'd also be shy 2 MVP's if they went by the strict definition of the words most valuable

this comment moreso helps guys like Derrick Rose who ppl are adamant about him not deserving the MVP

So true lol. And to this day, they say Rose was one of the least deserving of these awards smh

As far as value, LeBron, Steph, Lillard, McCollum, Draymond, WB, CP3 ISH SMITH, Isaiah Thomas, Harden, etc could have all been contenders.

Shut this $hit up about defining what they actually mean with the name of the award because 2/3rds of that list would look like garbage
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,436

Post#174 » by PierceFan4ever » Sat May 14, 2016 4:05 pm

Lol at some people still saying Lebron is the best in 2016. Lebron has been declining since 2013. Steph is on a level above Lebron right now. I found Lebron's comments salty with the timing of all this and not saying anything about this in year's past.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,330

Post#175 » by MaliBrah » Sat May 14, 2016 4:12 pm

PierceFan4ever wrote:Lol at some people still saying Lebron is the best in 2016. Lebron has been declining since 2013. Steph is on a level above Lebron right now. I found Lebron's comments salty with the timing of all this and not saying anything about this in year's past.

its because he was directly asked about the interpretation of the award. Said steph deserved it , listed off his crazy numbers and then was asked about the interpretation of the award because guys in the media like cowherd etc were talking about it. He didn't say it because he's salty or anything , he was just literally asked about it after praising Steph Curry.

The media is pathetic for forging this story , getting a quote from LeBron and then running with a twisted version of the quote to Curry to get a reaction. It's just super lame.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#176 » by Lost92Bricks » Sat May 14, 2016 4:26 pm

Just because a player is the best, most spectacular player in the league doesn't automatically mean they're the most valuable to their team.

A team like the Warriors can help make up for what Curry brings better than a team like the Cavs can with Lebron.

There's no way in hell the Warriors reach this peak without Curry but they would still be better than all but 3 teams in the league probably. Can't say the same for some of the other teams in the league right now without their top player.
Bruh Man
Analyst
And1: 743

Post#177 » by Bruh Man » Sat May 14, 2016 4:34 pm

Well Curry is the best player and the most valuable as well. How can anyone say Lebron is more valuable? What evidence do you have to support that? This is Curry's league now.
DubTheVanDamage
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,182

Post#178 » by DubTheVanDamage » Sat May 14, 2016 4:53 pm

All this really does is shine a light on what a horrible leader LeBron is. It's unfathomable to me, when the Cavs are playing well as a team and approaching the conference finals that LeBron would throw his teammates under the bus and take all of the credit himself.

The Cavs 'only' won 57 games with LeBron so he's saying that a team with Love, Irving, Smith, Frye, Shumpert, Thompson, etc. couldn't even sniff the playoffs without him? What a douche move to denigrate your teammates to promote yourself. Whether or not it's true is debatable and immaterial; he should be building up his teammates not tearing them down.

It's some sort of Stockholm syndrome for Cavs fans, who had to endure The Decision, LeBron as GM, the passive aggressive BS and now this yet vigorously defend 'The King'.
“I pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand,” James said as he sat there with a softcast on the right hand.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#179 » by soxfan2003 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:55 pm

I didn't reach much into Lebron's comments in this case. I feel as thought the media is pathetic for hyping this up as well. I'm a fan of Curry's and from a personality standpoint, he is probably my favorite superstar that I can think of since perhaps David Robinson. But I do think he may have been wrong about his comment on this incident but it is understandable given all of the comments the negative comments/envy he has received the past couple of seasons.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#180 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat May 14, 2016 5:01 pm

SF88 wrote:I think people are overreacting to this because LeBron gave Steph his props. And LeBron does actually have a point too. Is this MVP or is this just best player?

However...I find it interesting that LeBron never had these same thoughts when he was winning MVP in Miami with Wade and Bosh. Because you can argue the same thing he's now then too. But he didn't say anything then...

Like LeBron HAD TO give steph curry some props. He manages his comments, and obviously curry deserves credit as he put up one of the greatest offensive seasons ever. I still see this as LeBron thinking he's the best player in the game. He brought this up himself like ummm, less than 12 months ago. So, I believe he believes it.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot

Return to The General Board