Donovan: The discrepancy in free throws was really the difference in the game.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Re: Donovan: The discrepancy in free throws was really the difference in the game. 

Post#81 » by bakesale » Fri May 27, 2016 2:42 pm

bondom34 wrote:
bakesale wrote:
bondom34 wrote:He wasn't complaining. You don't see Donovan making excuses for his players being dirty either.

Dude he was asked about his remarks about the FT discrepancy by a reporter who mentioned the exact point that I made which is that the discrepancy has favoured every home game except for game 1 where it was heavily in favour of OKC, did you miss that question?

He said that his team always attacks the basket and the discrepancy was in favour of the warriors for this game and that was the difference for this game. That was the second time he said it, and he said it with a lot more emphasis the second time as if he's not considering the other reasons and making his point loud and clear for everyone to hear. When really the difference was Bogut was better at protecting the paint than Adams was. Green's impact on the game was greater than Ibaka's, Curry and Klay resorted to attacking the basket a lot more than in previous games where they were jacking up 3s too much and missing. They got fouled whilst attacking the rim a lot more than usual.

But really If you can't read the subtleties within's someone's remarks which he emphasised twice then I can't help you.

Dude, this was talking about him in the presser right after the game, not what someone asked him. I seriously question if you watched this because he clearly stated it as a simple fact, not some sort of criticism. But I guess you can see what you want to.

LOL It sounds to me like you did miss the question from the reporter at the post game press conference which we are both talking about where he asked him to explain the discrepancy between the FTs where it was always in favour of the home team except for game 1.
Or maybe you forgot about it? I dunno.
Or maybe you didn't listen to him when he says he can only comment about his team who has always attacked the basket throughout the season and yet there was a FT discrepancy in favour of the Warriors and that was the real difference in the game. It's funny how he emphasised what the difference was but didn't elaborate about how/why it actually occurred.

And I'm clearly not the only one who picked up on the subtlety of his remarks being that there's a whole thread about it. Think about that for a moment if it truly was a nothing, throw away statement then this thread would not exist.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Donovan: The discrepancy in free throws was really the difference in the game. 

Post#82 » by bondom34 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:44 pm

bakesale wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
bakesale wrote:Dude he was asked about his remarks about the FT discrepancy by a reporter who mentioned the exact point that I made which is that the discrepancy has favoured every home game except for game 1 where it was heavily in favour of OKC, did you miss that question?

He said that his team always attacks the basket and the discrepancy was in favour of the warriors for this game and that was the difference for this game. That was the second time he said it, and he said it with a lot more emphasis the second time as if he's not considering the other reasons and making his point loud and clear for everyone to hear. When really the difference was Bogut was better at protecting the paint than Adams was. Green's impact on the game was greater than Ibaka's, Curry and Klay resorted to attacking the basket a lot more than in previous games where they were jacking up 3s too much and missing. They got fouled whilst attacking the rim a lot more than usual.

But really If you can't read the subtleties within's someone's remarks which he emphasised twice then I can't help you.

Dude, this was talking about him in the presser right after the game, not what someone asked him. I seriously question if you watched this because he clearly stated it as a simple fact, not some sort of criticism. But I guess you can see what you want to.

LOL It sounds to me like you did miss the question from the reporter at the post game press conference which we are both talking about where he asked him to explain the discrepancy between the FTs where it was always in favour of the home team except for game 1.
Or maybe you didn't listen to him when he says he can only comment about his team who has always attacked the basket throughout the season and yet there was a FT discrepancy in favour of the Warriors and that was the real difference in the game. It's funny how he emphasised what the difference was but didn't elaborate about how/why it actually occurred.

And I'm clearly not the only one who picked up on the subtlety of his remarks being that there's a whole thread about it. Think about that for a moment if it truly was a nothing, throw away statement then this thread would not exist.

Half the people itt said the same thing as I am, he's not criticizing the refs. Its a simple statement. He didn't go on a tirade like Casey, he made one comment.

Or maybe, just maybe, you're seeing what you want. Seems plausible.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
GreenWithEnvy
Analyst
And1: 163

Post#83 » by GreenWithEnvy » Fri May 27, 2016 2:57 pm

This guy is a joker. His team was gifted free throws in the final 2 minutes to make the game close.
Willie Green Is The Man!
bakesale
Lead Assistant

Post#84 » by bakesale » Fri May 27, 2016 3:01 pm

bondom34 wrote:
bakesale wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Dude, this was talking about him in the presser right after the game, not what someone asked him. I seriously question if you watched this because he clearly stated it as a simple fact, not some sort of criticism. But I guess you can see what you want to.

Half the people itt said the same thing as I am, he's not criticizing the refs. Its a simple statement. He didn't go on a tirade like Casey, he made one comment.

No he said it twice. Once at the start of the presser and again when the reporter asked the question that I keep referring to. He didn't go on a tirade like Casey because he didn't want to make it sound like a blatant complaint. He clearly doesn't want to get fined for complaining. That's why he was a lot more measured, a lot more subtle in his complaint. Different people have different methods for getting their point across.

You say that half the people thought it was nothing? Guess what, if everyone thought it was nothing then this thread wouldn't exist. The fact that this thread exists proves that it probably was something and people saying otherwise are either refusing to admit that it's true or are horrible at picking up on a measured, subtle complaint when they hear one.
Hect0r_Zer0n1
Senior
And1: 518

Post#85 » by Hect0r_Zer0n1 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:27 pm

NiceLikeChrist wrote:I understand home court advantage but that first quarter was downright disgusting. It was a bad look for the league

Reminiscent of Lakers kings.

:crazy:

:lol: :lol: I guess you didn't see game 1, 3, and 4 of the series. Or Specifically Game 3 where at a point the ft Disparity was 18-2. Ok, lets pretend like anyone complained about the refs except for warrior fans or people that actually watch the game neutrally.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by bondom34 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:30 pm

bakesale wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
bakesale wrote:LOL It sounds to me like you did miss the question from the reporter at the post game press conference which we are both talking about where he asked him to explain the discrepancy between the FTs where it was always in favour of the home team except for game 1.

No he said it twice. Once at the start of the presser and again when the reporter asked the question that I keep referring to. He didn't go on a tirade like Casey because he didn't want to make it sound like a blatant complaint. He clearly doesn't want to get fined for complaining. That's why he was a lot more measured, a lot more subtle in his complaint. Different people have different methods for getting their point across.

You say that half the people thought it was nothing? Guess what, if everyone thought it was nothing then this thread wouldn't exist. The fact that this thread exists proves that it probably was something and people saying otherwise are either refusing to admit that it's true or are horrible at picking up on a measured, subtle complaint when they hear one.

But again, he said it once casually (not complaining), then was asked about it. So he commented a second time.

Neither were complaints.

And if people want to see something fine, but considering most don't that's a pretty good indicator.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#87 » by bmurph128 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:50 pm

He's not criticizing the refs, he's literally saying why they lost - they put GS on the line too much. It's nice to hear it as opposed to Casey essentially begging for help from the refs.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,825

Post#88 » by Texas Chuck » Fri May 27, 2016 6:00 pm

bmurph128 wrote:He's not criticizing the refs, he's literally saying why they lost - they put GS on the line too much. I

Thank you. I heard it the same way. He wasn't bagging on the refs--he was saying we have to defend without fouling so much. Which is something coaches say all the freaking time. I know Rick Carlisle says something similar in his post-game pressers regularly.

Way too much whining from both sides about the officiating here. The only thing in this series officiating-wise that has been noteworthy is the free reign given to Draymond Green for reckless play, blatant taunting of opponents and constantly showing up officials.

As far as the foul calls, give me a break.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
aIvin adams
Analyst
And1: 1,978

Post#89 » by aIvin adams » Fri May 27, 2016 6:16 pm

as a neutral fan...

this thread sucks and this series is awesome. can't wait for game 6.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,164

Post#90 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:23 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:One time a coach is going to do this and instead of getting fined, the officials are just going to job him the next game. I mean unless it's really blatant and totally one sided this stuff gets old after a while.

Mark Cuban used to do this constantly and Danny Crawford made it his mission to job the Mavs. From 2001 through 2010 the Mavs went 48-41 in playoff games not officiated by him, and 1-16 in games he officiated. Mavs shot 6.8 fewer FT's in those games as opposed to the typical less than 1 fewer in all other games. The only game Dallas won was when Dirk went for 50 and was simply so dominant not even Crawford could do anything about it.

So Cuban constantly baited referees and the price his team paid was essentially having no chance whatsoever to win on average about one game per series. So yeah......

So I guess I just don't get too excited when other fanbases want to complain about officials. No other team has anything close to this and the league continued to assign him to important Mavs playoffs games claiming no issue....

Of course, there's no rule that say Cuban has to say whatever he's thinking all the time. I always thought that Cuban got a bit of a bad rap. But his announcement that would be willing to run as either Trump or Clinton's VP made me wonder what type of guy he actually is.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#91 » by LakersLegacy » Fri May 27, 2016 8:14 pm

Why did allay watch the press conference? Was it for motivation? I don't remember another player watching the opposing teams press conference.

I like that Klay did it, he is hungry for motivation or information into their coaching strategy.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#92 » by therealbig3 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:50 pm

Meh, Westbrook and Durant get a lot of soft fouls called for them imo. And Curry gets hacked like crazy off the ball. There was one sequence where it was so obvious, Roberson was literally just grabbing him, and no foul was called. That happens on a consistent basis and the refs ignore it.

KD gets the same treatment too, but I think even he gets more fouls called off ball than Curry does.
bakesale
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by bakesale » Fri May 27, 2016 11:47 pm

bondom34 wrote:But again, he said it once casually (not complaining), then was asked about it. So he commented a second time.

Neither were complaints.

And if people want to see something fine, but considering most don't that's a pretty good indicator.

Before you said it was half the people. If it's half then it's most likely something. Even if it's more than 30% it's still likely to be something.

If it's only 1 out of 1000, well, maybe that 1 person is crazy, but it's clearly not 1 person in this situation.

This is a 5 page thread. If it was truly nothing this thread would not have existed in the first place. It's not super controversial so I don't expect it to last much longer but I definitely noticed something. When I'm watching I do try to listen for the subtext of what people are saying to get a better understanding or meaning behind what they are saying. Some make it more obvious than others. This was subtle but it was there. When he was asked about it he made it a point to comment about what he sees from his own players whilst refusing to comment about what he may have seen or didn't see from the opposition players. if you are listening to someone often times it's the things they deliberately omit that carries the most weight.

Coaches do it all the time. I'm not just a blind homer, Kerr does it, Pop does it, everyone does it, including Billy Donovan. Do I care that much? No but I noticed it and I'm pointing it out, that's all.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by bondom34 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:27 am

bakesale wrote:
bondom34 wrote:But again, he said it once casually (not complaining), then was asked about it. So he commented a second time.

Neither were complaints.

Before you said it was half the people. If it's half then it's most likely something. Even if it's more than 30% it's still likely to be something.

If it's only 1 out of 1000, well, maybe that 1 person is crazy, but it's clearly not 1 person in this situation.

This is a 5 page thread. If it was truly nothing this thread would not have existed in the first place. It's not super controversial so I don't expect it to last much longer but I definitely noticed something. When I'm watching I do try to listen for the subtext of what people are saying to get a better understanding or meaning behind what they are saying. Some make it more obvious than others. This was subtle but it was there. When he was asked about it he made it a point to comment about what he sees from his own players whilst refusing to comment about what he may have seen or didn't see from the opposition players. if you are listening to someone often times it's the things they deliberately omit that carries the most weight.

Coaches do it all the time. I'm not just a blind homer, Kerr does it, Pop does it, everyone does it, including Billy Donovan. Do I care that much? No but I noticed it and I'm pointing it out, that's all.

Its 5 pages with a page of me/you and another 2 of people saying its nothing. And a handful of people who didn't listen to the interview.

He wasn't complaining. Frankly, he should be complaining about Green, and shockingly isn't.
MrBaynes
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,863

Post#95 » by MrBaynes » Sat May 28, 2016 1:35 am

Clearly if we cannot infer intent from Draymond Green violently kicking/flailing/whatever, then it is obviously futile to infer intent from Donovan's comments.
bakesale
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by bakesale » Sat May 28, 2016 4:21 am

bondom34 wrote:
bakesale wrote:

Neither were complaints.

Its 5 pages with a page of me/you and another 2 of people saying its nothing. And a handful of people who didn't listen to the interview.

He wasn't complaining. Frankly, he should be complaining about Green, and shockingly isn't.

Lord Cuban wrote : “This guy can't be serious….”

BayArea408415 wrote “I feel like there is something Donovan did not acknowledge regarding Games 3 and 4. Just on the tip of my tongue.”

Randle McMurphy wrote “If that's his roundabout way of calling out the refs”

Winsome Gerbil wrote “Technically he might be right.”

Tinseltown wrote “Sore loser.”

HotRocks34 wrote “Dwane Casey time, y'all.
I like it. He's setting up Game 6.”

emphi54 wrote “Is anybody surprised? I was going to make a post to say that refs will extend the series for the Warriors(to ensure that they don't do it), but unfortunately, something came up. Now the right thing to do would be for them to make up the game for the Thunder, but by posting this, they'll probably call it even.”

Bourne85 wrote LMAO game 7 guaranteed now.

Look that's 8 people who have an opinion on what he said. That's only the beginning. I'm sure I could cite more examples but I think you get the point that it's not just 1 or 2 people.
Telling me that all these people haven't seen the presser is pure speculation on your behalf. You don't know that, you're just making half-baked assumptions now like you did with me. And yet I was able to cite an example of a question that was stated within the presser we are actually referring to. So you were wrong about me, you could just as easily be wrong about the others too. So therefore your speculation is a weak sauce argument.

He didn't complain about Green not being called for fouls because that's almost impossible to talk about without making it blatantly obvious that you are annoyed with the refs. He clearly doesn't want to get fined at this stage and so he made a more general comment about the foul situation which is less obvious.

Like I said all coaches do this all the time and this is no exception. They always try to 'get a message across' whether blatant or tactful or otherwise they always do it. I don't blame him for doing it, just like I wouldn't blame Kerr or Casey or anyone else. BUT saying that it was just nothing is naive.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#97 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:27 am

sounded me was he was saying the difference in FT's made played a big factor not that those fouls weren't deserved
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,977

Post#98 » by garrick » Sat May 28, 2016 4:50 am

OKC has gotten the benefit of the doubt in the 4th quarters against SAS so I really don't see why he should be upset about the lack of calls.

In OKC's wins vs GSW they've gotten like 10 FTs or so more than GSW.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by bondom34 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:25 am

bakesale wrote:Look that's 8 people who have an opinion on what he said. That's only the beginning. I'm sure I could cite more examples but I think you get the point that it's not just 1 or 2 people.
Telling me that all these people haven't seen the presser is pure speculation on your behalf. You don't know that, you're just making half-baked assumptions now like you did with me. And yet I was able to cite an example of a question that was stated within the presser we are actually referring to. So you were wrong about me, you could just as easily be wrong about the others too. So therefore your speculation is a weak sauce argument.

He didn't complain about Green not being called for fouls because that's almost impossible to talk about without making it blatantly obvious that you are annoyed with the refs. He clearly doesn't want to get fined at this stage and so he made a more general comment about the foul situation which is less obvious.

Like I said all coaches do this all the time and this is no exception. They always try to 'get a message across' whether blatant or tactful or otherwise they always do it. I don't blame him for doing it, just like I wouldn't blame Kerr or Casey or anyone else. BUT saying that it was just nothing is naive.

And just after you say this, a GSW fan chimes in...

NBAfan3024 wrote:sounded me was he was saying the difference in FT's made played a big factor not that those fouls weren't deserved
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#100 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:32 am

Maybe I'm wrong but Donovan doesn't sound like a guy who would blame refs in that context

Return to The General Board