90s fans of Lakers/Blazers/Suns/Sonics and Jazz...

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

90s fans of Lakers/Blazers/Suns/Sonics and Jazz... 

Post#1 » by bmurph128 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:43 pm

What was your feeling going into the finals against Jordan and the Bulls?

Did you think your team was going to win at the time? As the Bulls racked up more and more championships did that impact how Sonics and Jazz fans felt?

Curious what your feeling was at the time
jaypo
Lead Assistant
And1: 436

Re: 90s fans of Lakers/Blazers/Suns/Sonics and Jazz... 

Post#2 » by jaypo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:45 pm

I still have my Shawn Kemp jersey that I bought when the finals started. I loved GP and Kemp, and I was rooting for them to dethrone MJ. I loved MJ and Pipp, but I was in awe watching Kemp play, and I wanted him to take the torch!
eagles nut
Analyst
And1: 266

Post#3 » by eagles nut » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Lakers only went against the Bulls in the finals once and some of their key players got injured. After that, Magic retired and the Lakers weren't really ready for title contention until Phil Jackson left the Bulls and went to the Lakers.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,405

Post#4 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:03 pm

I know you were soliciting replies from fans of the teams who the Bulls played, so I hope you don't mind the input, but as a 90s Hornets fans the only Western Conference Champion who I considered a favorite over Chicago was the 98 Jazz.

They had the best record in the league, Finals experience from the previous year (which took a Herculean effort by Jordan during the infamous "flu game" to help Chicago over the top), and the Bulls seemed much older and more vulnerable than they had since before their reign began. Pippen was hurt, Rodman looked old, everyone was openly discussing how they would all leave in 99 because they hated management, Jordan couldn't even commit to continuing his career after the 98 season. It seemed like the perfect storm to finish off their dynasty., everyone was old, hurting and very unhappy, or that's what it looked like from the outside anyway. Obviously it didn't work out for Utah, but I think that Jazz team was the last best hope to beat those Bulls.

The 96 Sonics were probably the "best" opponent Chicago faced, imo, but they didn't seem as legitimate a threat because in spite of their immense talent it was really hard to imagine newbies waltzing into the Finals and besting the 72-win GOAT team with Jordan in full revenge mode.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#5 » by JellosJigglin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:23 pm

I knew the Lakers relied way too heavily on Magic. He was still amazing but they lacked that #2 guy who could create his own offense. Looking back on it, Vlade had a strong rookie year, but it was pretty muted due to the fact that he wasn't Kareem. It's tough to follow a legend. Worthy was still dangerous but he was older than his years. I was a little surprised the Lakers made it to the Finals, but that is the greatness of Magic. I still remember being in awe over Jordan's famous hand-switch layup. They replayed it during the game over and over.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Post#6 » by DROB27 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Weren't the lakers favorites in that series?
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#7 » by PDX MM » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:38 pm

The 1992 Blazer team was one of the most talented rosters in our history and if I recall we won 57 games that year and beat some dam good teams in the west so yeah I felt pretty good going into that final. After splitting the first 2 games in Chicago I was even more upbeat about our chances but conveniently forgot what Detroit did to us just a few years before after splitting the first 2 games on the road. We fought hard and had our chances but in the end we lost to the better team. I think the year we would have beat them was 1991 had we made it that far but who knows.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#8 » by JellosJigglin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:41 pm

DROB27 wrote:Weren't the lakers favorites in that series?

Maybe someone older than me will remember it differently, but I don't remember one team being the clear favorite over the other. MJ and Pippen were already established as an intimidating tandem, although they hadn't achieved all-time greatness yet. The Lakers had talent but were largely a one-man show.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#9 » by PKABOOICU » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:44 pm

DROB27 wrote:Weren't the lakers favorites in that series?

yeah they were....MJ just went ape**** on the Lakers. He averaged 31 points, 6 rebounds, 11 assists, 2 steals and 1.5 blocks.
SunKing
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,509

Post#10 » by SunKing » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:00 pm

If I remember clearly Jazz were seen at the team that would beat the Bulls in 1998 (they were tied for best record with the Bulls). Pippen was hurt a lot. Team was sure to explode in the offseason, Jordan played with every he had left in the gas.

I'm from Europe so any american Bulls fan can correct me, but if it wasn't for Kukoc stepping up offensively and shooting godness level 3-ball the Bulls might have been short for the title, especially in the 2nd 3-peat he tended to be pedantic in postseason before the Indiana and Jazz series in 1998.
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager
And1: 2,757

Post#11 » by DiscoLives4ever » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:02 pm

I was young enough that I don't remember much as a Jazz fan, with the exception of a conversation with my dad when we were walking into a Costco during Game 7 of the ECF. The Jazz had swept LAL and we were discussing who it would be better to face in the finals between Chi and Ind, and both agreed that we wanted to see the Jazz beat Jordan. I remember they announced the final score over the loud speaker in the store once the Bulls won.

Funny how some things stick with you.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,447

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Was a young Sonics fan. My dreams were crushed. **** MJ. :banghead:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager
And1: 2,757

Post#13 » by DiscoLives4ever » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:06 pm

SunKing wrote:If I remember clearly Jazz were seen at the team that would beat the Bulls in 1998 (they were tied for best record with the Bulls). Pippen was hurt a lot. Team was sure to explode in the offseason, Jordan played with every he had left in the gas.

I'm from Europe so any american Bulls fan can correct me, but if it wasn't for Kukoc stepping up offensively and shooting godness level 3-ball the Bulls might have been short for the title, especially in the 2nd 3-peat he tended to be pedantic in postseason before the Indiana and Jazz series in 1998.

Jazz had homecourt advantage in 98 and game 6 had two horrible officiating moments with the shot-clock that caused a 5-point swing in the Bulls favor. People complain about Jordan pushing off, but I don't mind that so much as the fact that it should never have been an issue. A game 7 Finals in Utah with Jordan against that Jazz team would have been incredible
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#14 » by The Penguin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:12 pm

I loved the Sonics as a kid in the 90s. My thought going against the Bulls was knowing the Bulls were going to win, but I thought there was a chance if Karl put GP on MJ. As I remember it, Karl basically waited until the Sonics were down 0-3 to make that switch, but then the Sonics came back and won games 4 & 5 before the Bulls ultimately closed them out.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#15 » by lamscott » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:16 pm

DOOM
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#16 » by bmurph128 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:43 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:I know you were soliciting replies from fans of the teams who the Bulls played, so I hope you don't mind the input, but as a 90s Hornets fans the only Western Conference Champion who I considered a favorite over Chicago was the 98 Jazz.

They had the best record in the league, Finals experience from the previous year (which took a Herculean effort by Jordan during the infamous "flu game" to help Chicago over the top), and the Bulls seemed much older and more vulnerable than they had since before their reign began. Pippen was hurt, Rodman looked old, everyone was openly discussing how they would all leave in 99 because they hated management, Jordan couldn't even commit to continuing his career after the 98 season. It seemed like the perfect storm to finish off their dynasty., everyone was old, hurting and very unhappy, or that's what it looked like from the outside anyway. Obviously it didn't work out for Utah, but I think that Jazz team was the last best hope to beat those Bulls.

The 96 Sonics were probably the "best" opponent Chicago faced, imo, but they didn't seem as legitimate a threat because in spite of their immense talent it was really hard to imagine newbies waltzing into the Finals and besting the 72-win GOAT team with Jordan in full revenge mode.

Thanks. I was 10 when the Bulls played the Sonics and I hated Jordan; was rooting for the Sonics. But being so young, I really no concept for how the teams shaped up going into the finals...it's easy to assume that the Bulls were always "going to win" since they won 6 straight (of Jordan playing), but didn't know how other people felt at the time, obviously not knowing the Bulls would win
shanghaifanzi
Senior
And1: 796

Post#17 » by shanghaifanzi » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Jazz fan back then, and still Jazz fan until now. i thought they gonna ace it in 99 because jordan is not playing anymore but short season kill all veteran team back then
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#18 » by King4Day » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:58 pm

I'm a Suns fan but didn't follow B-ball at the time to remember. I did think the last Jazz team could do it.

Great thread idea OP!
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
blazersbucs40
Rookie
And1: 43

Post#19 » by blazersbucs40 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:01 pm

As a Blazers fan looking back just wish Portland had Sabonis.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#20 » by dautjazz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:04 pm

I was 13 and 14 in 97 and 98 Finals, and I remember being quite optimistic. The difference between these teams was small, but one had to win. I mean the Bulls definitely had a more talented team, but I feel as if Sloan got more out of his limited talent.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.

Return to The General Board