If your favorite NBA player pulled a Kaepernick?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

AndroidMan
Veteran
And1: 262

Re: RE: Re: If your favorite NBA player pulled a Kaepernick? 

Post#261 » by AndroidMan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:05 pm

Braggins wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Braggins wrote:Seriously, go **** yourself. You have no right to bitch about millennials and their safe zones. You are exactly the same, but even worse. You want the entire country to be one giant safe zone where no one can say anything that disagrees with your nonsensical propagandized notions of America. Its a complete joke that you are too ignorant to see this.

There's a pretty big difference between someone who thinks a certain way and will argue for it with a staunch passion versus many of the new wave of millennials who try and shut down a conversation the moment someone disagrees with their narrative and requires a safe space to keep out dissenting ideas because they don't like to be challenged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app

I don't agree, especially when the people who often complain about millennials and their safe spaces are the same people who will tell anyone who disagrees with their delusional narrative of America that they should leave. They think America should be their giant safe space and anyone who disagrees with their idea of America should leave or be deported. For instance...

AndroidMan wrote:If he doesn't like America, there's always Canada.

I never said to deport him. Why would you say that I'm kicking self-hating Americans out of the country? I said in plain English, that if he doesn't like America and he thinks we are racist, corrupt, and demonic, that he always has the option to go elsewhere. We'll try to make this country better and hopefully Colin will agree, but Colin is an American with a virtual visa to go anywhere he chooses. He's not restricted to the US, which offers him tremendous opportunities. Colin can live anywhere he chooses. I'm just not sure why he chooses to live in a country he hates.
AndroidMan
Veteran
And1: 262

Re: If your favorite NBA player pulled a Kaepernick? 

Post#262 » by AndroidMan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:09 pm

Dajadeed wrote:
The Infamous1 wrote:I just don't understand how people can root for a sports team that is 80 percent African American but have these negative downright racist views of black people as whole. The most bigoted people I've ever met are die hard sports fans and it's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. You're ok with them dunking and catching touchdowns but don't view them as actual human beings, they're just the entertainment

This x 1,000,000.

The vast majority probably resent the fact that these athletes make so much money. Hence the "people die so you can make millions" arguments, which completely ignore that they also die so anyone can exercise their basic rights... Which is what he is doing.

But your basic question of how hardcore racists can be huge basketball or football fans I have always found fascinating. I understand that slaves were sometimes used for entertainment as well, so I'm guessing this is an extension of that thinking -- and it makes their outrage when said entertainers express political views much funnier.

Just out of curiosity, what percentage of the US population is racist?
The Infamous1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,024

Re: RE: Re: If your favorite NBA player pulled a Kaepernick? 

Post#263 » by The Infamous1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:26 pm

justicewinslow wrote:
The Infamous1 wrote:I just don't understand how people can root for a sports team that is 80 percent African American but have these negative downright racist views of black people as whole. The most bigoted people I've ever met are die hard sports fans and it's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. You're ok with them dunking and catching touchdowns but don't view them as actual human beings, they're just the entertainment

Guess what? They all make 100X more money than us, live in big mansions, can do anything they want in this world. While most us can't here. Its very unsettling that someone loke Kaep does the things they do. They dont know anything but being rich and famous and grew up living amazing lives. Its time for this type of stuff to stop.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using RealGM mobile app

So it's envy? And the vast majority of these players grew up in poverty
We can get paper longer than Pippens arms
The Infamous1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,024

Post#264 » by The Infamous1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:32 pm

I also love the "he's rich so what Is he complaining" idea.

So if I've never or I'm not currently a great victim of domestic violence I can't bring light to the subject?
We can get paper longer than Pippens arms
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,173

Post#265 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:39 pm

E-Balla wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Notice none of that said he was ever convicted. He's not a felon. Period. This is a fact.

And? They're all blue.

No they rioted because Darren Wilson didn't go to trial and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

This is inane. You don't care if the use of lethal force was justified or not in individual cases. That's fine but don't be surprised if other people discount your opinion because of it.

There's too many cases to discuss individual cases at this point. If you want to discuss individual cases let's bring up the most recent of a young black boy being shot for having a bb gun on film in Brooklyn 3 years ago and the video just coming out now after NYPD investigated everything and finding there was no wrong doing in them shooting a boy that was running and had his hands up 16 times. You want to discuss 2 cases where honestly we know nothing but ignore the cases we have video for to suit your agenda.

I think the only way to discuss the problem is to acknowledge that there are cases when the police aren't justified in the use of lethal force and cases where they are. Not every police report is filled out accurately and not every witness statement is reliable (sometimes you get statements from witnesses who weren't even present). I'm all for body cameras and independent prosecutors regarding police shootings so that you can get the most reliable information possible and you don't have to worry about bias from a D.A. who has to work with that police department everyday.

Even with those reforms, it's still going to be a difficult and complicated situation. The drug trade necessarily involves violence and is more prevalent in poor neighborhoods. Most of the times when police are responding to calls in those neighborhoods the people making the calls are persons of color. The vast majority of violence and shooting in those neighborhoods is committed by minorities upon other minorities. As was the case in Milwaukee, sometimes the police who did the shootings are minorities.

It's easy to be reductive and say the problem is racist cops but it's emotionally indulgent. It doesn't necessarily come without a cost either. In the 90s the chief complaint of minority communities was that police wouldn't actually police their neighborhoods and gangs had taken over.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to The General Board