Damian Lillard has real rapping skills!

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

touchvspice
Sophomore
And1: 213

Damian Lillard has real rapping skills! 

Post#1 » by touchvspice » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:44 pm

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,598

Re: Damian Lillard has real rapping skills! 

Post#2 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:03 pm

It's sad that an NBA player is better than 90% of the rappers in the game right now. He has intelligent, conscious rap lyrics+ is actually really good at the freestyle. The lack of talent right now in rap/hip hop is eye opening. If Drake's non lyric ass can be considered the best in the game, you know there is a big shortage.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#3 » by j-ragg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:31 pm

I'm not into rap much anymore (it's awful, and I'm not a rap snob), and I'm not even a big Lillard fan but he's really good on the mic.

I saw the clip of Drummond doing whatever that so gone challenge is, his was awful compared to Lillard's. Lillard is just really smooth and his lyrics actually paint a picture and make sense. Not just "PUT MY HAND ON MY CLOCK CALL THAT BITCH FACE TIME "loud screech laugh".
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
ballbrah
Junior
And1: 1,006

Post#4 » by ballbrah » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Ballers wanna be rappers and rappers wanna be ballers.

But for real I can't think of any other ball player in the history of NBA as skilled as Dame. He's actually very respectable on the mic.
http://www.havejerseys.com - Home to your favorite Throwback & Movie Jerseys! Always high quality, always low prices :nod:
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,165

Post#5 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:43 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:It's sad that an NBA player is better than 90% of the rappers in the game right now. He has intelligent, conscious rap lyrics+ is actually really good at the freestyle. The lack of talent right now in rap/hip hop is eye opening. If Drake's non lyric ass can be considered the best in the game, you know there is a big shortage.

I hear this all the time and it really isn't true. There's a ton of fantastic rappers out there who just don't get the same media coverage as the **** ones do. Unfortunately music is just like everything else and it's that what sells is what is popular. Your average joe doesn't wanna hear good rhymes or complex music; he just wants to get **** up and listen to some basic club bangers. Not saying that's a bad thing because I probably wouldn't wanna listen to lyrical rap in a club either but popular rappers are (usually) doing a basic formula because it sells and it makes them millions, can't blame them.

Anyways why is it sad an NBA player is a good rapper and is better than guys who are working **** jobs somewhere? He has ever resource in the world available to him, he should be better
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Zenith
Senior
And1: 1,553

Post#6 » by Zenith » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:54 pm

Def pretty good, still not AI level.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#7 » by King of Canada » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:57 pm

BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#8 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:35 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:It's sad that an NBA player is better than 90% of the rappers in the game right now. He has intelligent, conscious rap lyrics+ is actually really good at the freestyle. The lack of talent right now in rap/hip hop is eye opening. If Drake's non lyric ass can be considered the best in the game, you know there is a big shortage.

I hear this all the time and it really isn't true. There's a ton of fantastic rappers out there who just don't get the same media coverage as the **** ones do. Unfortunately music is just like everything else and it's that what sells is what is popular. Your average joe doesn't wanna hear good rhymes or complex music; he just wants to get **** up and listen to some basic club bangers. Not saying that's a bad thing because I probably wouldn't wanna listen to lyrical rap in a club either but popular rappers are (usually) doing a basic formula because it sells and it makes them millions, can't blame them.

Anyways why is it sad an NBA player is a good rapper and is better than guys who are working **** jobs somewhere? He has ever resource in the world available to him, he should be better

In a way you aren't really disagreeing when I'm obviously referring to mainstream. I'm not talking about guys who aren't getting shine or underground. Tons of talent there. I'm talking about the guys who we hear on the radio like Drake, Fetty Wap, Desiigner etc. Scrubs like this are the most popular and quite frankly can't rap that good.

Sure it's because of the demand for club bangers as you said, but it's also a lack of the same skillset. Plenty of lyrical hip hop artists bang in the club (Eminem, Biggie, Pac etc), its not mutually exclusive. Your argument of resources being a reason Damien Lillard should be better has massive holes.

1. It's implying he's had access to these resources prior to his 4 or 5 NBA years where he was wealthy. This is something he said he's been doing his whole life and was torn between it and basketball as a career.

2. It doesn't take into account how little free time NBA players have. So to be so good at hip hop/rap while having little free time.

netsforever
Veteran
And1: 26

Post#9 » by netsforever » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:59 pm

They're almost as good as Derrick Rose's raping skills
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,979

Post#10 » by zimpy27 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:24 am

Nah, he just has a platform that gets him heard, the fame to get attention, the fame to get good producers to make tracks (most important thing), and the fame to get it recorded and marketed. The talent is around but no one is there to do the rest for the average guy. There isn't a lack of talent in hip hop, even the guys in mainstream hip hop are better than their songs. The problem with mainstream hip hop is that it just appealing to the lowest common denominator to maximise sales. Right now the popular thing in hip hop has been to find artists that appeal to both male and female markets. 10 years ago this was done by combining RnB females with male rappers but that died when artists that could capture both audiences on their own came along.

Conscious rap will probably never be mainstream again because it's not appealing to the lowest common denominator. It's a tricky thing in sales but if you want to maximise market penetration then you keep the wording as vague as possible. People find their own meaning in words and relate songs to themselves, they can't do that if you're being extremely specific and descriptive with what you are saying. It might have just become this way because everyone is now so self-absorbed. There was a time where people wanted to be educated and they wanted to admire others, these days people just want to find knowledge on their own and be admired themself.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#11 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:15 am

At the end of the day Zimpy as you said it comes down to sales/money. Originally hip hop guys did it for the respect. The culture. The props. Now they do it for max sales.

NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#12 » by NickAnderson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:37 am

ballbrah wrote:Ballers wanna be rappers and rappers wanna be ballers.

But for real I can't think of any other ball player in the history of NBA as skilled as Dame. He's actually very respectable on the mic.

Lillard is good but I liked Shaq better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#13 » by Zombiesonics » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:47 am

i wonder if any nba players are classically trained pianists
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,979

Post#14 » by zimpy27 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:31 am

Zombiesonics wrote:i wonder if any nba players are classically trained pianists

I'd hazard a guess that Lin is. :wink:
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Sherlock
General Manager
And1: 12,706

Re: RE: Re: Damian Lillard has real rapping skills! 

Post#15 » by Sherlock » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:46 am

zimpy27 wrote:

Nah, he just has a platform that gets him heard, the fame to get attention, the fame to get good producers to make tracks (most important thing), and the fame to get it recorded and marketed. The talent is around but no one is there to do the rest for the average guy. There isn't a lack of talent in hip hop, even the guys in mainstream hip hop are better than their songs. The problem with mainstream hip hop is that it just appealing to the lowest common denominator to maximise sales. Right now the popular thing in hip hop has been to find artists that appeal to both male and female markets. 10 years ago this was done by combining RnB females with male rappers but that died when artists that could capture both audiences on their own came along.

Conscious rap will probably never be mainstream again because it's not appealing to the lowest common denominator. It's a tricky thing in sales but if you want to maximise market penetration then you keep the wording as vague as possible. People find their own meaning in words and relate songs to themselves, they can't do that if you're being extremely specific and descriptive with what you are saying. It might have just become this way because everyone is now so self-absorbed. There was a time where people wanted to be educated and they wanted to admire others, these days people just want to find knowledge on their own and be admired themself.

I dumb down for my audience and double my dollars
They criticize me for it, yet they all yell 'holla'.
If skills sold truth be told
I'd probably be lyrically Talib Kweli
Truthfully I want to rhyme like Common Sense
(But I did five Mil)
I ain't been rhyming like Common since
Interviewer: Championship #2?
Ujiri: Hey...We're gonna get it. I don't know when it'll be, but we're gonna get it. Just like I said we'll get the first one and I said I didn't know when we'd get it...But we will. Guarantee you we will.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,583

Post#16 » by Syd-TK3 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:07 am

They sleep should be on 2k
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,165

Post#17 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:54 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

In a way you aren't really disagreeing when I'm obviously referring to mainstream. I'm not talking about guys who aren't getting shine or underground. Tons of talent there. I'm talking about the guys who we hear on the radio like Drake, Fetty Wap, Desiigner etc. Scrubs like this are the most popular and quite frankly can't rap that good.

Sure it's because of the demand for club bangers as you said, but it's also a lack of the same skillset. Plenty of lyrical hip hop artists bang in the club (Eminem, Biggie, Pac etc), its not mutually exclusive. Your argument of resources being a reason Damien Lillard should be better has massive holes.

1. It's implying he's had access to these resources prior to his 4 or 5 NBA years where he was wealthy. This is something he said he's been doing his whole life and was torn between it and basketball as a career.

2. It doesn't take into account how little free time NBA players have. So to be so good at hip hop/rap while having little free time.

Well honestly if Damien Lilliard wasn't famous we wouldn't give a **** about his raps. They aren't incredible or anything different than anything else anyone does. Like he is better than the Drakes and Fettys of the world; but cmon that isn't exactly a compliment or a challenge.

For lyrical guys tobang in the club they have to get randomly chosen by the massss to be good. Like it seems random as **** who the mainstream media decides which actual good rappers are actually going to get decent attention. Like J Cole has a crazy fanbase even though he isn't that good. He's a good rapper for sure but I don't ever get how he gets even compared to a guy like K Dot but that's just my opinion. So you do got guys like Kendrick and J Col playing in the mainstream but then they revert back to fetty. With Eminem, 2Pac and Biggie people who don't even listen to rap automatically are all like "They are the GOATs!!!!" so they manage to get some good playtime too. That being said, you aren't hearing the best songs by those guys when you are clubbing anyways, your hearing Hypnotize or Lose Yourself. Good songs but still.

Anyways that was a weird rant, I just woke up so if I made little to no sense I apologize.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#18 » by Hangtime84 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:16 pm

zimpy27 wrote:

Well if NFL players and NBA players are using their platforms for social change I'm happy.

I hope dame produces more tracks like this and gets national radio play. Then "maybe"artist that can complete sentences and not mumble will get more opportunities
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#19 » by LeMasta » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:57 pm

Drake isn't the best in the game, he's just the most popular. Most mainstream rap/hip-hop now is all energy, hype focused than lyricism. All you need is a average catchy flow you can follow along with fun one-liners, Gotta smoke weed as well to make it better lmao
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,375

Post#20 » by Pablo Escobar » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:43 pm

Hip hop has become popular. And the effects of that has dumbed down the genre, I mean the popular ones now can barely speak English. A bunch of morons that mumble lol and in regards to Drake, he's the biggest artist right now. But him being the "best" was forfeited when he got exposed for using ghost writers. I've got respect for him because he put my city on (Toronto) but I gotta keep it real.
Plata o Plomo?

Return to The General Board