'Win Now' Mode Teams That Will Be Forced To Give Up By Midseason

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,183

Re: 'Win Now' Mode Teams That Will Be Forced To Give Up By Midseason 

Post#81 » by realball » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:13 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Tacoma wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
You said the raps were low upside because their best player is in his 30s which doesn't make sense. A lot of the stars the league are around 30 and kyle lowry is definitely is in his prime. For example he is younger than Lebron. The raps might not have a superstar but they have 2 all-stars and a young great C and whole bunch of good prospects. Look at all the teams the raps were/are better than that do have superstars

If "low upside" means the Raptors are very good but not a true Championship contender and Lowry being 30 means he's peaked and isn't going to get better, then I agree with Realball on both counts.

Lowry is the key for the Raptors. In 2nd half of 2014-15 season when Lowry was injured or slumping, they were a sub .500 team. If they don't re-sign Lowry next year, they're a .500 team again. There's no one nearly as good as Lowry to take over. DeRozan is not a leader. JV doesn't have the BBIQ.

The Raptors will go as far as Lowry takes them and is definitely a win now team because of Lowry's age and contract situation.

When lowry was injured in 2014-2015, Demar was ailing as well. Again we have one AS/USA member without including lowry and JV is one of the best bigs in the East, plus a bunch of assets. Over the last 3yrs we have accumulated the most wins in the East and coming off an ECF appearance. I don't get this mantra of no superstar or bust, especially when teams with superstars still don't win or are even as good as the Raps.

No one said it's superstar or bust. No one is advocating that the Raptors give up mid-season. But it is important to be realistic; even though we have been very successful the last three years and improved a lot last year, we're still far away from being a championship team, and it's highly unlikely that we ever will be with this core.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#82 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:19 am

A win now team is less likely to blow itself up at mid-season than to trade a young player or a pick for a veteran they hope will put them over the top.

Sent from my 831C using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#83 » by LivingLegend » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:20 pm

I can weirdly see the Jazz being out of it and being forced to part ways with Favors or Gordon by the trade deadline when top tier teams come callin basically turning them back into a rebuilding team.

IDK why I think that its just I can see them being the Grizzlies doppleganger. A perpetual 5-8 seed who is good and easy to root for, but just lacks that one more really good player to put them in serious contention so at some point, your going to have to cut bait with Gordon or Favors when young talent and draft picks start getting thrown at you. The 2006-2014 Atlanta Hawks come to mind as well in that discussion. Just blow it up already and quit tread milling in mediocrity. Getting the 5 seed in the East every year and getting bounced in the first round every time with the exact same group of players has to get old after 7 years.

If not they will end up like Mike Conley and Marc Gasol who have been playing the last 6 years in NBA purgatory
ballfan5
Junior
And1: 61

Post#84 » by ballfan5 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:39 pm

Knicks are in win now mode being that Melo is aging and we are gambling on high potential players with a history of injury. If it works out then we are contenders. If they get hurt then we are basement team. Porzingis is a good player to build around. Melo does have a no trade clause so he can only be traded to somewhere he wants to go. Knicks would either want a young player or some high draft picks which would have to come out of a multiple team trade.
Chicago also gambling on Wade being healthy and Rondo personality being able to work with the rest of the team. If those don't work then Chicago will probably clean house.
BudenFerry
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,496

Post#85 » by BudenFerry » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:28 pm

LivingLegend wrote:I can weirdly see the Jazz being out of it and being forced to part ways with Favors or Gordon by the trade deadline when top tier teams come callin basically turning them back into a rebuilding team.

IDK why I think that its just I can see them being the Grizzlies doppleganger. A perpetual 5-8 seed who is good and easy to root for, but just lacks that one more really good player to put them in serious contention so at some point, your going to have to cut bait with Gordon or Favors when young talent and draft picks start getting thrown at you. The 2006-2014 Atlanta Hawks come to mind as well in that discussion. Just blow it up already and quit tread milling in mediocrity. Getting the 5 seed in the East every year and getting bounced in the first round every time with the exact same group of players has to get old after 7 years.

If not they will end up like Mike Conley and Marc Gasol who have been playing the last 6 years in NBA purgatory

Korver and Scott are the longest tenured Hawks players and they have only been on the team for 4 years. The Hawks have seen a ton of change throughout Budenholzer's tenure.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#86 » by LivingLegend » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:18 pm

BudenFerry wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:I can weirdly see the Jazz being out of it and being forced to part ways with Favors or Gordon by the trade deadline when top tier teams come callin basically turning them back into a rebuilding team.

Korver and Scott are the longest tenured Hawks players and they have only been on the team for 4 years. The Hawks have seen a ton of change throughout Budenholzer's tenure.

You know what I mean. Im talking about the Joe Johnson/Josh Smith days where the Hawks were seemingly a 5 seed every single year for a decade and would get first round bounced the majority of the time. They were like the poster child of treadmill team. Never a real threat and refused to make any moves after continuing to get beat time after time in the playoffs.
TheSunGod
Junior
And1: 117

Post#87 » by TheSunGod » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:32 pm

The Kings. Seriously anticipating the day when Boogie is no longer on the Kings.

Return to The General Board