Chris Hansen & group offer to pay for entire arena cost and street improvements

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,627

Re: Chris Hansen & group offer to pay for entire arena cost and street improvements 

Post#21 » by KingFox » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:26 am

skones wrote:
Kings2013 wrote:
skones wrote:
It means your own fool doesn't deserve a team though for very different reasons.

After the BOG supported keeping the team in Sacramento, where it belongs, Hansen tried to secretly roll an opposition to destroy our arena, which many believe was unethical and against the behavior of a potential owner

Don't see how that relates to a well meaning owner who made some mistakes in his first few years of ownership

It's not unethical at all. Hansen wants a business. Does not currently have a business. Taking measures to obtain a business isn't unethical, because that's business and has nothing to do with the consumer relationship. It's like someone announcing they'll be first to market and another company saying, "well, you've announced it, so even though our product is ready, we'll chill over here and let you go." The vote was certainly a step in the right direction for Sacramento, but there was a lot left before it was an iron-clad done deal. If you want to discuss "ethics" involved, we can get into eminent domain.....

As far as Ranadive, "well meaning" does not excuse incompetence.
Relax

as if the Bucks are anything special. please stop
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Re: Chris Hansen & group offer to pay for entire arena cost and street improvements 

Post#22 » by Moonbeam » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:42 am

Really hoping that this convinces the city council to approve the street vacation, and that expansion soon follows. The league hasn't felt right without a team in Seattle.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,885

Post#23 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:06 am

Milwaukee is building a new arena. They are going nowhere.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#24 » by Spens1 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:47 am

blind prophet wrote:
nomansland wrote:
blind prophet wrote:But maybe opposition from the league.

They seem to want cities to pony up for expenses, not have a savior.

First the report on the new CBA having a provision for expansion, then this. I'd bet money Hansen knows something we don't.

Maybe he thinks the TV money is so good they'll go to any place with a ready arena, even small market.

Could be.

But normally I'd expect the league to continue that "cozy" local loot funding arenas to some degree.

how is seattle a small market, the urban area has over 4.5 million people, if they're a small market at least 3/4 of the league are small markets.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#25 » by Spens1 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:51 am

Also its going to be expansion. expansion to 32 teams isn't exactly ridiculous either, the league could use some injection of life also since their is at least 1/3rd of the teams that are blatently tanking.

Also if Hansen is willing to do that much, just let him in, seattle never should have left in the first place, especially not for some small city in the middle of oklahoma of all places.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#26 » by Pennebaker » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:11 am

That's called putting your money where your mouth is. Much respect to Chris Hansen and co. He will be a hero in Seattle forever if he manages to get the Sonics back.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#27 » by Pennebaker » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:13 am

Spens1 wrote:
blind prophet wrote:
nomansland wrote:

First the report on the new CBA having a provision for expansion, then this. I'd bet money Hansen knows something we don't.

Maybe he thinks the TV money is so good they'll go to any place with a ready arena, even small market.

Could be.

But normally I'd expect the league to continue that "cozy" local loot funding arenas to some degree.

how is seattle a small market, the urban area has over 4.5 million people, if they're a small market at least 3/4 of the league are small markets.

Seattle isn't a small market. It's a large market with teams supported by millions of people across several states and into Canada.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#28 » by Spens1 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:23 am

Pennebaker wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

Could be.

Seattle isn't a small market. It's a large market with teams supported by millions of people across several states and into Canada.

except vancouver and british columbia probably
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#29 » by Jables » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:52 am

A prospective owner suggesting he'll actually pay for stuff, ha ha the old boys club ain't gonna like that.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,293

Post#30 » by Black Jack » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:25 am

Really want to see the Sonics back, for real.

I bet there won't be even one predator (of the Seattle franchise idea) left after Chris Hansen gets done
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
young_frogger
Rookie
And1: 965

Post#31 » by young_frogger » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:03 am

Carry On My Hayward Son
Prius
Junior
And1: 324

Post#32 » by Prius » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:43 am

jptremblay wrote:
UtahJazzFan88 wrote:Who's team is Seattle taking? Milwaukee? Expansion isn't happening.

It should be the Nets, it`s a team without history, with an established fanbase...with no future in next 5 years...and a team that is in the same city where Knicks play. Yes, I know it's Brooklyn, but I really doubt that there's more hype in Brooklyn for Nets than Knicks. That experiment did not work, just let it go and give Seattle their team back.

Not happening at least for 50 years. They recently got a new arena and owner won't leave that New York money
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#33 » by jptremblay » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:56 am

Prius wrote:
jptremblay wrote:
UtahJazzFan88 wrote:Who's team is Seattle taking? Milwaukee? Expansion isn't happening.

It should be the Nets, it`s a team without history, with an established fanbase...with no future in next 5 years...and a team that is in the same city where Knicks play. Yes, I know it's Brooklyn, but I really doubt that there's more hype in Brooklyn for Nets than Knicks. That experiment did not work, just let it go and give Seattle their team back.

Not happening at least for 50 years. They recently got a new arena and owner won't leave that New York money

I know that it's not happening, but that will be the best option to reload the NBA (that move also would send Memphis to the East where they belong) without hurting an entire City and a historic team. And most important, without doing another expansion that maybe make the league less competitive.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#34 » by qm22 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:23 am

Prius wrote:
jptremblay wrote:

Yeah... I remember reading that the move was entirely motivated by real-estate development, which was also connected to the previous Nets owner being a real-estate developer (?). IIRC, there was extremely valuable properties for development but with residents that could not be forced to move, until a basketball arena was build nearby and new laws applied. The property value dwarfs any NBA results--winning, attendance, sales...
Jaballa Parkay
Junior
And1: 166

Post#35 » by Jaballa Parkay » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:23 am

Lol no jazz fan. Milwaukee is building a new arena. Maybe the jazz if expansion isn't happening.
Zaschrona
Sixth Man
And1: 1,324

Post#36 » by Zaschrona » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:46 am

So many Seattle haters here. lol.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#37 » by Mr. E » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:18 pm

I am looking forward to seeing more about this plan. This is going so far beyond just an arena. This much private investment in what will be a major boon to the city (the infrastructure around the port) is a very welcome sign in the days of professional teams demanding that cities pay more and more for their venues.

I'm looking forward to eventually making a trip back to Seattle to boo their new team in their new arena when the Rockets face them.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
WC NBA Fan
Junior
And1: 187

Post#38 » by WC NBA Fan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Jaballa Parkay wrote:

Lol no jazz fan. Milwaukee is building a new arena. Maybe the jazz if expansion isn't happening.

Jazz not going anywhere either. Big time renovation happening when the season ends. Should be ready by opening night 2017.

http://www.nba.com/jazz/125-million-arena-transformation-begin
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#39 » by JayMKE » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:06 pm

if you build it they will come

get the arena done and then you'll probably get a team eventually
FREE GIANNIS
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,615

Post#40 » by nomansland » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:19 pm

JayMKE wrote:if you build it they will come

get the arena done and then you'll probably get a team eventually

They're not building an arena until a team is definitely coming. But once the team is secured the arena will happen.

Return to The General Board