Rockets match Nets offer for Donuts (Updte Pg 17: Offer Pulled, DMo UFA)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Bruteque
Starter
And1: 1,176

Re: Rockets match Nets offer for Donuts 

Post#121 » by Bruteque » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:17 pm

B.J. Armstrong is never going to get another NBA client ever again. Value tanked far worse than D-Mo's.

:lol:

My guess is that Morey is just going to waive the physical and to sit on the contract until Armstrong changes his tune or D-Mo realizes that he needs to fire his "rep" for handing out the worst advice vs. a GM that knows his game theory. HOU is rolling just fine without D-Mo. They can just suspend him for no-show and not pay D-Mo's salary while he's holding out. HOU is over the cap and will continue to be over the cap for a while, so at season's end a no-show D-Mo is just free cap space for trade flexibility the owner isn't even paying for, well worth the 15th roster spot considering they still have Tyler "Utterly Useless" Ennis as the 14th man before D-Mo. FIBA/NBA don't poach each other's players under contracts. They're not going to break that rule for D-Mo without a lockout. It's D-Mo here refusing to honor his contract. Morey of all people knows all this and also that he will never get a more favorable RFA contract than the one Marks has just gift-wrapped for HOU.

D-Mo had the right not to sign the contract. Once he signed the contract he had the right to show up and get paid, or don't show up and don't.

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#122 » by FNQ » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:18 pm

Edrees wrote:
lilswift01 wrote:The man does not want to be in Houston. Just let him go.

Why let him go and help another team get him? Rockets have all the power. If he doesn't want to play in houston, he's going to have to sit out the season. Why should the rocket do anything to help their opponents?

That wont look good to other NBA players, and will remain a consideration when attempting to sign players. Probably a minor one - cash rules all - but keep this in mind too: Andrew Bogut chose to go to the Mavs over the Rockets this offseason, he was asked by the W's where he preferred to go. It's entirely possible the Rockets have a negative image in terms of attracting players because of how Morey conducts business
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,960

Post#123 » by Shock Defeat » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:19 pm

Utah jazz are playing dirty I see.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#124 » by K_chile22 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:19 pm

BJ Armstrong told Watkins, who said on radio, this is because another team offered a bigger deal so they are trying to get back on the RFA market after signing the smaller deal. The NBA simply cannot allow that to happen. Once a deal is signed you cannot go back and try to get a better one after the fact. BJ should be black balled if this is true. Despicable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using RealGM mobile app
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#125 » by Nolan » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:20 pm

This whole thing is just so damn bizarre.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#126 » by FNQ » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:21 pm

K_chile22 wrote:BJ Armstrong told Watkins, who said on radio, this is because another team offered a bigger deal so they are trying to get back on the RFA market after signing the smaller deal. The NBA simply cannot allow that to happen. Once a deal is signed you cannot go back and try to get a better one after the fact. BJ should be black balled if this is true. Despicable.

Now that would be something. I cant imagine its true (at least in terms of NBA contracts) because BJ would essentially be admitting that he found a better deal after settling for a worse deal the 1st time.

But considering how wacky this whole situation has been, it would be fitting if that were the case.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#127 » by 13th Man » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:22 pm

K_chile22 wrote:BJ Armstrong told Watkins, who said on radio, this is because another team offered a bigger deal so they are trying to get back on the RFA market after signing the smaller deal. The NBA simply cannot allow that to happen. Once a deal is signed you cannot go back and try to get a better one after the fact. BJ should be black balled if this is true. Despicable.

Lol @ this situation, BJ Armstrong couldn't have handled this ordeal any worse.
K_chile22
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Rockets match Nets offer for Donuts 

Post#128 » by K_chile22 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:23 pm

FNQ wrote:

Now that would be something. I cant imagine its true (at least in terms of NBA contracts) because BJ would essentially be admitting that he found a better deal after settling for a worse deal the 1st time.

But considering how wacky this whole situation has been, it would be fitting if that were the case.

Closer to what he actually said on 790 is: BJ Armstrong is doing this because another team has a bigger deal lined up

K_chile22
RealGM

Post#129 » by K_chile22 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:25 pm

According to a clutch fans rumor (so take it with a grain of salt) the team is Utah. That is 100% tampering.

JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#130 » by JV4MVP » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Bruteque
Starter

Post#131 » by Bruteque » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:29 pm

I totally believe Armstrong's claim of a better deal from another team.

After looking at how ridiculously favorable a contract Armstrong would advice D-Mo to sign, the other GMs were like, "$4-5 mil guaranteed first year only for 4-year lock-up? Are you ****ing kidding me? I can ****ing top that!"

Still, Armstrong advised D-Mo to sign it. Okay, he's signed it. It's too late. D-Mo cuts his losses; Armstrong never works again.

Now it's just Armstrong trying a last desperate gambit to savage his own value at D-Mo's expense. His opponent being Morey, I am pretty low on his chances. Armstrong is just tanking his own value even more now at D-Mo's expense, but at this point I can understand why Armstrong does it: He has nothing to lose. After he advised D-Mo to sign that contract, Armstrong's value was DONE. However minuscule a chance he has to wiggle out of the contract, he has to risk it.
Leon Black
Junior
And1: 309

Post#132 » by Leon Black » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:30 pm

Wow, you could write a sitcom based on Motiejunas in the past few years. Dude is having the strangest transaction luck.

As a Rockets fan who has enjoyed seeing him play..............

I say dont let the door hit you on the way out, kiddo. We dont need you.
mvpshaq32
Starter
And1: 2,265

Post#133 » by mvpshaq32 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:32 pm

I remember Rockets fans saying DMo is the second coming of Hakeem
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#134 » by MrSparkle » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:32 pm

Sounds like BJ's biting off more than he can chew.
Bruteque
Starter

Post#135 » by Bruteque » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:35 pm

The funniest thing in all of this is that Morey can honestly tell everybody that he's offered two more favorable contracts to D-Mo than the one B.J. Armstrong ultimately advised D-Mo to sign: The QO and the 2-year deal with 2 fewer lock-up years and more guaranteed money.

Morey didn't screw you, D-Mo, Armstrong did.

BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#136 » by BallerTalk » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:37 pm

islanders11040 wrote:Why did the Nets make it so team friendly if they wanted to steal him?

Because anything more and it might no longer be a steal. :lol:

Sean Marks made a fair offer for a talented player who also has lingering health issues.
If they got him they add a player who could potentially contribute in the future.
If they didn't...meh. Doesn't really change the Nets' plans going forward.

They had nothing to lose here and Marks wisely kept it that way.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#137 » by Papi_swav » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:45 pm

MaxRider wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
MaxRider wrote:
i'm sure he wants to play for Houston or else why have his agent talk to Morey for new contract (they can't agreed on the amount)
i think right now is his agent playing game

I mean it's pretty clear he doesn't want to play in Houston

then why sign an offer sheet that Morey told him he will match with so many trade restriction?

When did Morey ever say he was going to match ? :crazy: There was rumors saying he was frustrated with Rockets when trying to get a deal done a few months back.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#138 » by red96 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:45 pm

This is total BS from D-Mo and Armstrong. You have to honor your contract, and that goes for players and management. BJ screwed DMo and in turn, screwed himself. In an attempt to save face, he's willing to $#! T on league rules. Not Morey, but the league can't allow these precedents.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#139 » by BallerTalk » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:48 pm

Bruteque wrote:
Now it's just Armstrong trying a last desperate gambit to savage his own value at D-Mo's expense. His opponent being Morey, I am pretty low on his chances. Armstrong is just tanking his own value even more now at D-Mo's expense, but at this point I can understand why Armstrong does it: He has nothing to lose. After he advised D-Mo to sign that contract, Armstrong's value was DONE. However minuscule a chance he has to wiggle out of the contract, he has to risk it.

This is why I wondered earlier how much BJ's ego/reputation was playing a role here after being heavily criticized for his handling of D-mo's free agency.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Bruteque
Starter

Post#140 » by Bruteque » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:49 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
islanders11040 wrote:Why did the Nets make it so team friendly if they wanted to steal him?

Because anything more and it might no longer be a steal. :lol:

Sean Marks made a fair offer for a talented player who also has lingering health issues.
If they got him they add a player who could potentially contribute in the future.
If they didn't...meh. Doesn't really change the Nets' plans going forward.

They had nothing to lose here and Marks wisely kept it that way.

Basically, barring collusion with Morey, Sean Marks was a better judge of people than Daryl Morey was: Marks had a better handle on just how stupid B.J. Armstrong was.

Morey assumed his opponent understood leverage and contract value: The 2-year offer was not an insult to his opponent's intelligence. That was what you would offer a competent agent. The 4-year offer was much worse than the 2-year offer was for D-Mo, but it looked bigger/better to B.J. Armstrong. Now there's a man who has no idea how things work. How is Armstrong even an agent? I seriously have a hard time wrapping my head around that.

Return to The General Board