Klay Thompson goes for 60

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Re: Klay Thompson goes for 60 

Post#121 » by dk1115 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:26 am

Scalabrine wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:Klay's game was 99 points per 48. Wilt's was obviously 100 (since he played all 48). Obviously maintaining the pace for 48 minutes as opposed to just 29 is also much more impressive.

And there were no threes..

At the same time, the pace was way faster, wilt took 63 shots, and he was decades ahead of his peers in terms of athletic and physical ability.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

They also fouled the other team on purpose to ensure more possessions for Wilt to get to 100.
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,499

Post#122 » by GregOden » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:36 am

Smash3 wrote:Call me crazy, but I am not that enthused about these 60 points now that KD is on that team.

So if Toni Kukoc scored 60 points in a game on the Bulls in 1996 that wouldn't have been impressive? :D
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#123 » by boomershadow » Wed Dec 7, 2016 2:34 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Ferulci wrote:I cant believe how bad Ellis is at defense.

Agreed. It's often easy to cherry pick a player's shortcomings, but it looked like Ellis was constantly failing to stick with Klay, and Ellis is quicker than Klay!

He needs to go to the bench so we can start Glen Robinson at the 2. At this point in his career, with his stature and playing style, his defensive liabilities, and for a number of chemistry issues with the Pacers lineup, they just need to realize that he's better suited to the Ginobili/Crawford role off the bench. That can still be an important role.

To his credit, he's tried hard to work on his defense and plays more unselfishly on offense now than he ever has. But the way we are using him exposes too many of his weaknesses and doesn't do enough to maximize what he does well.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#124 » by SF_Warriors » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:36 pm

Impuniti wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Impuniti wrote:While I agree with your premise, I think you're overreacting how bad it would have been to put him out there. :lol:

Most likely he would have been okay, but it is still playing with fire and even if he had reached 70-80 they would have been heavily criticized and rightfully so as the extra points would have been meaningless.

Much better off giving the young guys some run. Keeping klay in would be very short sighted especially with a four game in five day stretch coming up all on the road, and after last season I think they all know that the only thing they should be chasing is a championship.

I'm not really buying the young gun excuse, it's 1/82 games and will not make much difference. The problem in these cases is always the risk of injury and to a much lesser extent these guys staying in shape for PS. But mostly injuries. I wouldn't say it's useless, these games mean a ton to players. Klay said when he's an old man, he's going to talk to his grandkids about this game. Historic games like this mean a hell of a lot. Just look at his non PR reaction when Ros asked him about the 4th. Tough stretch coming up and three tough games all bundled together means players need to be in top condition though. I get why Kerr did it, but this is one of those rare cases where had he played for 3-5 minutes, I would have been all for it. However if he gets injured during that run, it's not my arm chair coaching on the line but Kerr's. :lol:

I agree that 3-5 minutes would have been acceptable, but unnecessary when they were up 30+ starting the fourth. I get what you are saying but is it really better for the warriors to keep klay in a meaningless portion of the game instead of letting guys like looney/mccaw play with each other, gain chemistry and get a good amount of minutes playing within the system against nba caliber competition? That is the exact same kind of short-sighted thinking I am talking about. Klay plays every game and knows the system. The young guys not so much and they need all the experience they can get. They can play alongside klay, but they would probably end up trying to feed him instead of playing their games. Would much rather see those possessions/shots go to others at that juncture.

I wasn't saying that game was meaningless. It was very awesome and meaningful for me as a warriors fan and I am sure klay will remember this one for a long time as well. I am saying trying to go out there when the game is essentially over and trying to "run up klay's point total" is pointless and meaningless.

But yes, it is not worth the risk to put klay out there when the game was already out of reach. Seeing klay get 70 or more wouldve been fun sure, but I would rather him sit the fourth than to risk injury.
At the start of the fourth, the warriors were up by like 35. If they were up by 20 or so, klay probably plays in the fourth at least for a few minutes.
asianguy
Rookie
And1: 99

Post#125 » by asianguy » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:28 pm

GregOden wrote:
Smash3 wrote:Call me crazy, but I am not that enthused about these 60 points now that KD is on that team.

So if Toni Kukoc scored 60 points in a game on the Bulls in 1996 that wouldn't have been impressive? :D

Whenever someone scored 60pts, it is very impressive, I don't even care if they pad their stats during a blowout game, it is still impressive.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#126 » by Impuniti » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:46 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Most likely he would have been okay, but it is still playing with fire and even if he had reached 70-80 they would have been heavily criticized and rightfully so as the extra points would have been meaningless.

Much better off giving the young guys some run. Keeping klay in would be very short sighted especially with a four game in five day stretch coming up all on the road, and after last season I think they all know that the only thing they should be chasing is a championship.

I'm not really buying the young gun excuse, it's 1/82 games and will not make much difference. The problem in these cases is always the risk of injury and to a much lesser extent these guys staying in shape for PS. But mostly injuries. I wouldn't say it's useless, these games mean a ton to players. Klay said when he's an old man, he's going to talk to his grandkids about this game. Historic games like this mean a hell of a lot. Just look at his non PR reaction when Ros asked him about the 4th. Tough stretch coming up and three tough games all bundled together means players need to be in top condition though. I get why Kerr did it, but this is one of those rare cases where had he played for 3-5 minutes, I would have been all for it. However if he gets injured during that run, it's not my arm chair coaching on the line but Kerr's. :lol:

I agree that 3-5 minutes would have been acceptable, but unnecessary when they were up 30+ starting the fourth. I get what you are saying but is it really better for the warriors to keep klay in a meaningless portion of the game instead of letting guys like looney/mccaw play with each other, gain chemistry and get a good amount of minutes playing within the system against nba caliber competition? That is the exact same kind of short-sighted thinking I am talking about. Klay plays every game and knows the system. The young guys not so much and they need all the experience they can get. They can play alongside klay, but they would probably end up trying to feed him instead of playing their games. Would much rather see those possessions/shots go to others at that juncture.

I wasn't saying that game was meaningless. It was very awesome and meaningful for me as a warriors fan and I am sure klay will remember this one for a long time as well. I am saying trying to go out there when the game is essentially over and trying to "run up klay's point total" is pointless and meaningless.

But yes, it is not worth the risk to put klay out there when the game was already out of reach. Seeing klay get 70 or more wouldve been fun sure, but I would rather him sit the fourth than to risk injury.
At the start of the fourth, the warriors were up by like 35. If they were up by 20 or so, klay probably plays in the fourth at least for a few minutes.

For this particular case, yeah the injury is always a concern which would be the only reason. This idea that these kids for 1/82 games is going to be pivotal is just way too over dramatic man, cut it out. They will continue to develop well hopefully under Kerr, and he will continue to bench the starters in blowouts as he should. But had Klay played, this wouldn't have been some big point of stunted growth as you make it out to be.

I'm indifferent towards the entire issue. If you're a coach, you want to keep him out. If you're a fan, you're either going with the coach for the fear of injury in this particularly special case, selfish to want to see the record, or stuck somewhere in the middle. Sorry for the misunderstanding based on your second paragraph.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#127 » by SF_Warriors » Wed Dec 7, 2016 8:14 pm

Impuniti wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Impuniti wrote:I'm not really buying the young gun excuse, it's 1/82 games and will not make much difference. The problem in these cases is always the risk of injury and to a much lesser extent these guys staying in shape for PS. But mostly injuries. I wouldn't say it's useless, these games mean a ton to players. Klay said when he's an old man, he's going to talk to his grandkids about this game. Historic games like this mean a hell of a lot. Just look at his non PR reaction when Ros asked him about the 4th. Tough stretch coming up and three tough games all bundled together means players need to be in top condition though. I get why Kerr did it, but this is one of those rare cases where had he played for 3-5 minutes, I would have been all for it. However if he gets injured during that run, it's not my arm chair coaching on the line but Kerr's. :lol:

For this particular case, yeah the injury is always a concern which would be the only reason. This idea that these kids for 1/82 games is going to be pivotal is just way too over dramatic man, cut it out. They will continue to develop well hopefully under Kerr, and he will continue to bench the starters in blowouts as he should. But had Klay played, this wouldn't have been some big point of stunted growth as you make it out to be.

I'm indifferent towards the entire issue. If you're a coach, you want to keep him out. If you're a fan, you're either going with the coach for the fear of injury in this particularly special case, selfish to want to see the record, or stuck somewhere in the middle. Sorry for the misunderstanding based on your second paragraph.

Yes injury concern is the MAIN issue. The young guys playing is more of a bonus than anything. Sorry if I miscommunicated the main point which is injury risk.

The PT for the bench guys is not pivotal its not going to make or break their careers, but it is helpful for their development, correct? They got to play the whole fourth quarter. We are not talking about 2-3 minutes at the tail end of a blow out here. How valuable are those minutes? Maybe not much but it is better for the team to have them out there playing than the main options if we are talking blowout.

So basically, there are multiple positives for sitting klay in the fourth quarter and not keeping him out there (Avoiding injury risk, getting young guys/vets some solid PT, and possibly keeping klay fresher for a tough road trip). Much more positives than keeping him in would have had. There, happy?

Easy decision for the coaching staff.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,165

Post#128 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Dec 7, 2016 9:50 pm

C3H6N6O6 wrote:Sometimes i like to think of fun line-ups. Klay as a second option next to LeBron would be so devastating in most games even if they don't win the ring.

All I can think of is Klay in Toronto instead of Demar
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
socal74
Rookie
And1: 1,194

Post#129 » by socal74 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 1:41 am

floppymoose wrote:Kobe's record came against a Raptors squad that on the same road trip gave up two backdoor dunks to JRich on the same play on consecutive possessions. Kobe was amazing but it was also a game where he was facing WOAT level defense.

LOL like I said only on realgm wherer Kobe's 81 gets **** on. Compare the 62 pt game to Klays game instead where he faced a championship level squad and outscored the whole team at the end of the 3rd. Now talk to me about **** defenses
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#130 » by floppymoose » Thu Dec 8, 2016 4:13 am

I'm not crapping on Kobe's 81. These records happen for a reason. Why would an all time great scorer set a mark against a great defense? He would set it most likely against a bad defense. My comment isn't about Kobe, so much as it is about scoring records.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#131 » by pacers33granger » Thu Dec 8, 2016 4:19 am

boomershadow wrote:
He needs to go to the bench so we can start Glen Robinson at the 2. At this point in his career, with his stature and playing style, his defensive liabilities, and for a number of chemistry issues with the Pacers lineup, they just need to realize that he's better suited to the Ginobili/Crawford role off the bench. That can still be an important role.

To his credit, he's tried hard to work on his defense and plays more unselfishly on offense now than he ever has. But the way we are using him exposes too many of his weaknesses and doesn't do enough to maximize what he does well.

Yup, contrary to popular belief, Ellis doesn't suck, but the way we've used him all year has sucked. It is incredibly tough for him to be effective off the bench too though with Stuckey there, who deserves minutes as well.
Fable
Junior
And1: 307

Post#132 » by Fable » Thu Dec 8, 2016 8:51 am

Scalabrine wrote:
They also fouled the other team on purpose to ensure more possessions for Wilt to get to 100.

And the Knicks also fouled Wilt's teammates to get the ball out of his hands.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#133 » by John Murdoch » Thu Dec 8, 2016 3:28 pm

I would have capped him at about 69 even if he played the 4th
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.

Return to The General Board