Is Nikola Jokic a franchise level talent?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,874

Re: Is Nikola Jokic a franchise level talent? 

Post#301 » by mcmurphy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:
Foliohattu wrote:
Yuri Vaultin wrote:
To me he reminds me a lot of Marc Gasol (not because they're white) but due to his passing - Gasol provides more blocks, Jokic more assists, much higher FG percentage and bigger shooting range.
While I mostly agree with you, this isn´t true anymore. Gasol is actually shooting a much higher % and quantity from 3.

I agree with you, the similarities with Gasol are strong.

Gasol is the better defensive player, whilst I'm almost certain that Jokic will be the better offensive player (playmaker and scorer), if he isn't already (that's not an insult on Gasol by any means).

Both players have absolutely incredible footwork and spin moves, given how unathletic they are for NBA players.

A 24 years old rookie Marc Gasol wasn't a great defender.

This article on draftexpress:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marc-Gasol-155/
Part Five: Defense

Then (before enter NBA):
"He wasn't really a go-to guy for Girona on the offensive end (mainly because of Real Madrid’s double-teaming defense), but especially he doesn't make a great impact on the defensive end. His limited mobility gets exploited in pick-and-roll situations that the opponents throw at him; he's not a great intimidator, he allows smaller opponents to shoot over him; and given his superb size, he's not the best rebounder around."
-Scouting the NBA Rights-Held Players at the 2008 Copa del Rey - 2/19/08

Now (rookie year):
Much of what we documented about Gasol during his European career has held true during his rookie season in the NBA. Given his lack of vertical explosiveness and lateral quickness, he actually creates a surprising number of defensive turnovers (1.0 STLPG, 1.5 BLKPG); however, he still struggles whenever forced to guard perimeter oriented big men or the pick-and-roll. When guarding ball screens, the Grizzlies seem to hedge most frequently, which often results in Gasol getting caught outside of the three point arc and failing to rotate successfully back to his man. Gasol must improve upon his conditioning to improve his lateral quickness and pick-and-roll defense to avoid becoming a defensive liability moving forward. If he fails in this department and/or the Grizzlies don't improve their interior defense this offseason by surrounding him with more talent, we can expect to see Memphis continue their defensive struggles through another season.

In instances where Gasol is defending the interior, he holds his ground well, although he rarely makes highlight-reel defensive stops. Since he's a step slow, he's a victim of quick-footed bigs possessing great wheel or seal moves which pin him on the backside of the offensive player. And although he'll never really be the type of intimidating, explosive defender the Grizzlies desperately need, Gasol still shows good fundamentals to counter the offensive skill sets of more talented NBA players and keep them out of the lane.

Help side defense is the area in which Gasol must improve his defensive game the most. As we previously wrote, he often allows smaller defenders to shoot over him and lacks lateral quickness - both of which usually equate to subpar defense. Gasol also tends to play lackadaisically off the ball, rarely knocking down cutters and looking to aggressively box out on when shots goo up. If he improves on his work ethic and hustle, we should see him develop into a respectable NBA defender - particularly if he increases his tenacity against more athletic players. Being a member of a struggling defensive system like Memphis' certainly hurts Gasol's numbers, but the addition of another interior presence this offseason should help the team's defensive play.

Hard to imagine in this scouting a future DPOY.
I think a 21 years old Jokic can improve a lot on the defensive side.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,690

Post#302 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:56 pm

mcmurphy wrote:Hard to imagine in this scouting a future DPOY.
I think a 21 years old Jokic can improve a lot on the defensive side.

I have a hard time imagining that it was accurate back then. I wouldn't be shocked if it was the usual Euro bias. I heard commentators saying how such a bad defender Rubio is, when he was already in the top 3 by DRPM, leading the league - or be among the leaders - in steals. :lol: It is what it is, many scouts and GMs still automatically assume that a white European player is a terrible defender. They could be an Olajuwon-Pippen mix, and they would still probably peg them down as bad defenders.
mcmurphy
Starter

Post#303 » by mcmurphy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Interesting article about the most efficient passer in Nba.
http://nbamath.com/the-nbas-most-efficient-passers/

Some quotes:
But the true outlier here is Nikola Jokic, who boosts the Denver Nuggets’ efficiency levels by a smidgen under 14 percentage points. This isn’t a fluke created by his position or role. If it were, you’d see players such as Marc Gasol and Paul Millsap much higher on the y-axis. Instead, it’s a testament to Jokic’s knack for putting the ball in the perfect spot.

A disproportionate number of his assists lead teammates right to the rim, where they can complete easy layups and dunks.

Of his first 124 assists this season, 71 have led to buckets from no further than three feet (57.3 percent). Another 35 produced triples (28.2 percent), and that leaves just 14.5 percent allocated to two-pointers from at least four feet. He knows how to pass into the most efficient zones, and he’s already become a master of creating easy opportunities for his teammates.
By comparison, 23.4 percent of Gasol’s assists lead to two-pointers from at least four feet, and the average shot distance on one of his dimes is 4.5 feet longer than Jokic’s.

The 6’10” center from Serbia may only be 21 years old, but he’s already become one of the NBA’s most efficient distributors, simply by understanding how to pass players open in the most advantageous locations.
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,116

Post#304 » by eathb_au » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:45 am

As starting center this season:

18.6 ppg
9.2 rpg
5.6 apg
.656 FG%
.526 3PT%
27.2 mpg

Would like to think he'd be an All-Star this season if Denver had a competent coach who could work out who his best players are.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#305 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:57 am

Nikola Jokic is a friggin poet. Whenever I want to give my eyes and my brain a rest, from all the pain caused by the 19 year old miracles who bring all the AAU popular wisdom with them to the NBA, I just put some Jokic highlights on.

Very, very soothing. Thank you Nikola.
mcmurphy
Starter

Post#306 » by mcmurphy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:09 am

Great analysis of why Jokic is the best passing center.

Amazing how difficult passes are made so simply and with such accuracy.

Last 5 games where he has substantially reduced the number of fouls (probably at the expense of aggressiveness in defense), increasing the mpg, Jokic has produced:

29.3mpg, 22.0 ppg (62.3 fg%), 10.2 reb, 5.4 ast, 1.4 stl, 2.0 pf
XPeak
Sophomore
And1: 160

Post#307 » by XPeak » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 am

I have him on my Fantasy League. Everyone was laughing when I took him as my 2nd round pick after Chris Paul.

No one's laughing now.
Veyron
Senior
And1: 509

Post#308 » by Veyron » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:46 am

He is not, but he will be good.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,258

Post#309 » by XTC » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:00 am

I hate saying I told you so, but the way Jokic is playing I might just be whipping that card out soon.
Veselyfan
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#310 » by Veselyfan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:42 am

30 points ,11 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals last night vs Orlando... Wow..
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,298

Post#311 » by r0drig0lac » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Point Center
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Post#312 » by GlenRiceARoni » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:07 pm

He is undoubtedly a franchise player IMO.

I wouldnt write off his ability to add a 3 point shot either.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Post#313 » by load management » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:16 pm

XPeak wrote:I have him on my Fantasy League. Everyone was laughing when I took him as my 2nd round pick after Chris Paul.

No one's laughing now.

I traded Evan Fournier for him in late November :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
**** the Tony Brothers
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,735

Post#314 » by naabzor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:25 pm

I mean everyone knows he was a beast last year... finally he is playing.
XPeak
Sophomore
And1: 160

Post#315 » by XPeak » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:37 pm

Class Act wrote:
XPeak wrote:I have him on my Fantasy League. Everyone was laughing when I took him as my 2nd round pick after Chris Paul.

No one's laughing now.

That's highway robbery, man! I also got a Mason Plumlee offer before, now someone's giving me Myles Turner for him. :D
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#316 » by The Rebel » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:40 pm

GlenRiceARoni wrote:He is undoubtedly a franchise player IMO.

I wouldnt write off his ability to add a 3 point shot either.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app

Um he already has a 3 point shot, shoots it at a 36.4% rate on 1.3 attempts a game.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#317 » by The Rebel » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:42 pm

XPeak wrote:
Class Act wrote:

No one's laughing now.

That's highway robbery, man! I also got a Mason Plumlee offer before, now someone's giving me Myles Turner for him. :D

Call me crazy but I think you are losing that deal, Jokic just fills up the stat sheets and is reportedly almost guaranteed 30 minutes per night now that Malone has realized that Jokic is the potential franchise player. Turner is good, but does not fill up the stat sheet the same way.
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,368

Post#318 » by xBulletproof » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:50 pm

I would have said meh, no before last week. I don't watch Denver often so I just didn't say anything.

After watching him against the Pacers, I have to say it's certainly possible. It just looked so easy for him. He wasn't forcing anything. More than the gaudy numbers it was the feel of it. How easy it happened.

I'd have to see more to be sure it feels that way more often but I believe it's possible after seeing that.
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Post#319 » by load management » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:56 pm

The Rebel wrote:
XPeak wrote:
Class Act wrote:

Call me crazy but I think you are losing that deal, Jokic just fills up the stat sheets and is reportedly almost guaranteed 30 minutes per night now that Malone has realized that Jokic is the potential franchise player. Turner is good, but does not fill up the stat sheet the same way.

It's a fine deal if you need blocks.
**** the Tony Brothers
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#320 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Of course he is. He went toe-to-toe with Towns last year as the most impressive performing rookie big.

Return to The General Board