Is Nikola Jokic a franchise level talent?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Re: Is Nikola Jokic a franchise level talent? 

Post#381 » by GlenRiceARoni » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:39 am

He is officially OUT OF CONTROL tonight.

He deserves the all star nod for sure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
cjx
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,527

Post#382 » by cjx » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:47 am

What did I tell you about the Indomitable Jokic aka the 2017 NBA Finals MVP, folks?
Take a couple of minutes and check out this comic book, my friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574101710/the-assemblage-issue-1a-courage-and-no-more-crises
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior
And1: 440

Post#383 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:51 am

cjx wrote:Jokic is a franchise changer. I predict Denver will secure the 8th seed in the west, and the magic will begin ...

Rd. 1: Denver upsets the Warriors 4-2. Why? Winning is about playing together and playing the right way. It's not enough to overload on star players. Jokic's stats: 23 ppg, 11 rpg, 7 apg.

Rd. 2: Denver upsets the Jazz 4-1. Why? Denver has more offensive weapons, and Jokic's passing is the catalyst. Jokic's stats: 19 ppg, 9 rpg, 8 apg.

Conf. Finals: Denver upsets the Rockets 4-3. Why? The Rockets will score a lot of points, but Capela/Nena are no match for Jokic. Jokic's stats: 24 ppg, 10 rpg, 7 apg.

NBA Finals: Denver upsets the Cavs 4-2. Why? Lebron has to carry too much of the weight, even with Kyrie, while Denver is legitimately 10 deep, and Jokic is a match-up nightmare for the defending champs. Jokic's stats: 21 ppg, 11 rpg, 7 apg (Finals MVP).

Remember who predicted this first, compeers.

You might be a crazy person, but here's hoping you're right.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,720

Post#384 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:47 am

Nik beasting again
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man

Post#385 » by GlenRiceARoni » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:52 am

It's just absurd how good he is. I've watched his last four games and I haven't seen him miss a shot yet.

35, 12, and 4 tonight on 14-22 FG and 5-5 FT.

He's legitimately close to being the best offensive player in the league.

ThatWay
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#386 » by ThatWay » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:53 am

One of the most aesthetically pleasing players to watch in the league right now. I thoroughly enjoy just watching highlights of him play, there's a lot of little things he does right that doesn't appear in the boxscore as well. My god that soft touch around the hoops is just amazing, and he isn't no slouch or sieve defensively as well. Solid overall fundamentals, which is nice to see in the league today. This kid is amazing and is only 21 in his 2nd year! Loving the renaissance of the "big men" that has come into the league lately today, just amazing.
ATTL wrote:If Kobe played in this era he would be a similar level player Raja Bell was in his era.
:lol:
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,116

Post#387 » by eathb_au » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:06 am

Quote pissed at Malone. Jokic would be an All Star this year had he gotten minutes from day 1.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#388 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:09 am

Awesome player. See you don't have to tank to find franchise players. Have great scouting
Raptors til death
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#389 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:09 am

Rastas wrote:
cjx wrote:Jokic is a franchise changer. I predict Denver will secure the 8th seed in the west, and the magic will begin ...

Rd. 1: Denver upsets the Warriors 4-2. Why? Winning is about playing together and playing the right way. It's not enough to overload on star players. Jokic's stats: 23 ppg, 11 rpg, 7 apg.

Rd. 2: Denver upsets the Jazz 4-1. Why? Denver has more offensive weapons, and Jokic's passing is the catalyst. Jokic's stats: 19 ppg, 9 rpg, 8 apg.

Conf. Finals: Denver upsets the Rockets 4-3. Why? The Rockets will score a lot of points, but Capela/Nena are no match for Jokic. Jokic's stats: 24 ppg, 10 rpg, 7 apg.

NBA Finals: Denver upsets the Cavs 4-2. Why? Lebron has to carry too much of the weight, even with Kyrie, while Denver is legitimately 10 deep, and Jokic is a match-up nightmare for the defending champs. Jokic's stats: 21 ppg, 11 rpg, 7 apg (Finals MVP).

Remember who predicted this first, compeers.

Thank you Jokic's mom!

Come on now, let's be fair.

Even Jokic's mom isn't THAT delusional.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
bdp31770
Junior
And1: 238

Post#390 » by bdp31770 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:37 am

I read the box scores every day but somehow missed Jokic's dominance until recently. How is he so good? How athletic is he? Looks like he's slightly below average height for a center but has a good wingspan... who would you all compare him to? His numbers have been amazing lately. Draftexpress.com says "not athletic but super productive." So how does he do it?
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#391 » by Anti Chalmers » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:49 am

bdp31770 wrote:I read the box scores every day but somehow missed Jokic's dominance until recently. How is he so good? How athletic is he? Looks like he's slightly below average height for a center but has a good wingspan... who would you all compare him to? His numbers have been amazing lately. Draftexpress.com says "not athletic but super productive." So how does he do it?

Below average athlete. Elite skills. I've been watching almost every game since Malone decided to start him at center, and I have no doubt in my mind he will be a superstar center with elite passing. It's truly amazing what he's doing as a 2nd year player that was drafted in the 2nd round.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,622

Post#392 » by nomansland » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:03 am

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
nomansland wrote:I have a feeling that after this thread blew up he's going to have an off night tonight. Apparently he's a bit hurt, it's against the Spurs and Popovich is no dummy. They'll game plan for him.

Your intuition isn't the best thank god :lol:

You know what though? His stats were filthy but he struggled at times.
deezerweeze
Junior
And1: 574

Post#393 » by deezerweeze » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:06 am

GlenRiceARoni wrote:I
He's legitimately close to being the best offensive player in the league.

Calm down bruh.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,719

Post#394 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:07 am

bdp31770 wrote:I read the box scores every day but somehow missed Jokic's dominance until recently. How is he so good? How athletic is he? Looks like he's slightly below average height for a center but has a good wingspan... who would you all compare him to? His numbers have been amazing lately. Draftexpress.com says "not athletic but super productive." So how does he do it?

Does it by being unbelievably skilled. Best way I can describe it, hes like a 3rd Gasol brother. Hes kind of a mix between the two of them. Those two are below average athletes but when you watch them especially Pau in his prime on offense, the dude was just so freaking skilled in every way. He sticks his nose in defensively a lot more like Marc and knows how to use his size to his advantage and is tremendously smart. But ya offensively, they dude has an unbelievably light shooting touch and crazy good vision and passing for a big.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#395 » by Alfred » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:12 am

He is probably one of the least athletic big men in the league.

He is dominating because he has one of the softest touches in the entire league, and his court vision and passing is like a point guard's, and that's not an exaggeration. He just plops the ball into the basket with little push shots and layups, and he's really good at getting to the offensive glass. He can also shoot the three.

I don't really know a good comparison. I haven't really seen a player like him before.
Macho
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,422

Post#396 » by Macho » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:30 am

He's 21 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,381

Post#397 » by xBulletproof » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:40 am

The little bit I've watched him he excels in the least talked about athletic ability that is also one of the most important.

Hand eye coordination. If Ian Mahinmi had even a little bit of it I think he could be an All Star but he doesn't. :lol:

Guys that aren't athletic but smart in the sport and have outstanding hand eye coordination can still excel (see: Larry Bird).
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man

Re: RE: Re: Is Nikola Jokic a franchise level talent? 

Post#398 » by GlenRiceARoni » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:42 am

He reminds me of a young Frank Brickowski.

Lol no seriously he's got a passable outside stroke but he's really got amazing ability around the basket. Guys penetrate and drop it off to him the 5-10 feet range and he just lofts it at the rim without bringing it down. These little flip shots barely ever graze the rim, let alone miss. I've never seen anything quite like it honestly.

He grabs a few putbacks on o-rebs, a few backdown post moves, a jumpshot, and a couple FT's and suddenly he's got 25-30 points again.

He's also great at setting up in the high post and hitting back door cutters. Freaking guy even brings the ball up the court on defensive rebounds.

Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#399 » by Young_Star11 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:50 am

How silly was Mike Malone in the first 15 or so games of the season to play him out of position and with Nurkic?
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man

Re: RE: Re: Is Nikola Jokic a franchise level talent? 

Post#400 » by GlenRiceARoni » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:00 am

Young_Star11 wrote:How silly was Mike Malone in the first 15 or so games of the season to play him out of position and with Nurkic?

I dont think it was that silly at all. They had Barton, Gallinari, and Faried out there on the first unit mostly.

With Harris out that bumped Barton out of his 6th man role. The 2nd unit was a Washed up Jameer and a rookie guard Murray who isn't very good so they were trying to stagger Jokic's minutes so he could lead the second unit paired with Chandler.

Also, they weren't sure what they had in Nurkic and they needed to make a decision on his future. That was significantly more important than getting 2-4 extra wins this year since they weren't a threat for a top 6 seed anyway. Realistically they weren't sure they were better than Portland/Dallas/Houston either.

They already knew Jokic was almost certainly getting a max deal coming into the season.

Once they realized Nurkic was dragging down the offensive efficiency far too much and that his defense isn't good enough to justify it they made the switch and cut his minutes significantly.

The first team offense has simply exploded so much that even the pathetic 2nd team offense is passable enough for them be better overall with Jokic on the first team.

It was a good thought, it just didn't work. Sometimes you can overthink it.

I dont think anyone realized the Nuggets would be such an elite offensive team this year. If they can just upgrade their bench and get one good PG look out.

Return to The General Board