Mexico City NBA Team?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,615

Re: Mexico City NBA Team? 

Post#81 » by nomansland » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:01 am

pickIBL wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:It is never going to happen... and if Mexico did have a team, it would be in Monterrey.

Just like the first Canadian team was put in Winnipeg...

Besides, if people are worried about violence, you take the DF 10 times out of 10 over Monterrey.
lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Post#82 » by lakerhater » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:04 am

pickIBL wrote:
lakerhater wrote:
Nate505 wrote:How safe is Mexico City?

Could Mexico City be less safe then places like Chicago or Detroit?

You forgot to mention the bullets... cough I mean the Wizards. DF is safe. The only travel advisory you'll ever see would be for the state of Mexico. And other countries issue travel advisories about cities in the USA. So this type of question would come from a less worldly viewpoint.

Definitely from a less worldly viewpoint which is why I asked that and other questions. It's an interesting idea to me and there would be hurdles to overcome with lots of questions to be asked but it could be a worthwhile long term goal for the NBA. Thanks for your input.
smallgains
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,369

Post#83 » by smallgains » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:11 am

Can you say kidnapping in Spanish?
xccelerate
Junior
And1: 95

Post#84 » by xccelerate » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:12 am

Loling @ the reaction 'PUTO!' chants would get
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#85 » by Mr Puddles » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:52 am

Edrees wrote:China? Maybe once portals are invented.

It just takes retooling of the schedule, launching multiple team in the same season. Similar to the 1995 expansion to Canada. Teams would go on a China trip, play 4 China based teams twice and go back to North America for the rest of the season. They wouldn't be flying back and forth all season long obviously.

Edrees wrote:Why entertain mexico city when a lot of teams in the US need a team like Seattle?

Because financially it makes sense for the NBA to continue to expand globally.

Veyron wrote:China hahahahaha.

A country that already spends buckets of cash on basketball, is likely going to have the highest GDP on the planet, and populates about a 5th of the world's population. The NBA is a business and there is simply more money to be made for them in China then anywhere else. If you don't think that the NBA is at least looking into the option, you're kidding yourself.
Spoiler:
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#86 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:59 am

pickIBL wrote:
TheDeadDodo wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
Just like the first Canadian team was put in Winnipeg...

It's not as if Toronto and Vancouver were that far from the border, though. Mexico City's far south enough to make it a pretty tedious flight for any team not relatively far south (and vice versa of course). Maybe if Boeing builds that Concorde replacement they've discussed, it'd be more feasible.

You missed my point. It wasn't really about geography. Monterrey is not viable for a long list of reasons.

I doubt that you have been to either city but you know what.... it really doesn't matter what you think.
lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Post#87 » by lakerhater » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:20 am

Mr Puddles wrote:
Edrees wrote:China? Maybe once portals are invented.

It just takes retooling of the schedule, launching multiple team in the same season. Similar to the 1995 expansion to Canada. Teams would go on a China trip, play 4 China based teams twice and go back to North America for the rest of the season. They wouldn't be flying back and forth all season long obviously.

Edrees wrote:Why entertain mexico city when a lot of teams in the US need a team like Seattle?

Because financially it makes sense for the NBA to continue to expand globally.

Veyron wrote:Logistically it would obviously be a lot more difficult and would require a complete retooling of the schedule.

China hahahahaha.

A country that already spends buckets of cash on basketball, is likely going to have the highest GDP on the planet, and populates about a 5th of the world's population. The NBA is a business and there is simply more money to be made for them in China then anywhere else. If you don't think that the NBA is at least looking into the option, you're kidding yourself.[/quote]

The Chinese connection definitely has to be on the minds of NBA movers and shakers. How about sending some teams to China for a two week tournament where the team that wins the most games gets a Global NBA award/trophy. Points scored would be the tie breaker if there was a tie in wins. It'd be part of the regular season schedule and the games would be included in the win/loss standings.

Just a thought.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#88 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:54 am

it would be nice to see a lively NBA arena for a change, NBA crowds are a little boring.

eeeeevery-body-clap-your-hands, clapclapclapclapclap
LOL
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#89 » by pickIBL » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
TheDeadDodo wrote:
It's not as if Toronto and Vancouver were that far from the border, though. Mexico City's far south enough to make it a pretty tedious flight for any team not relatively far south (and vice versa of course). Maybe if Boeing builds that Concorde replacement they've discussed, it'd be more feasible.

You missed my point. It wasn't really about geography. Monterrey is not viable for a long list of reasons.

I doubt that you have been to either city but you know what.... it really doesn't matter what you think.

First, credit goes to the other poster that admitted ignorance.

You'd think you would be smart enough not to call out the guy who mentioned the seven eleven store with the service window. And the issues with the metro.

It sounds like sour grapes and just makes you look bad.

This is coming from a guy who stays just off of av insergentes in the Hipodromo Condesa barrio. From a guy who used to drink and party in la condesa, roma, and polanco. I could walk into matisse, el ocho, and several other fine establishments today and be recognized and offered great service.

If I wasn't married I could jump on whatsapp to dozens of chilangas that would meet me for dinner tonight.

I met my now wife when I was in Colombia. You don't get to question if I'm legit. I've done what a lot of guys say they'll do. Stop embarrassing yourself
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,615

Post#90 » by nomansland » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Sounds legit to me, although I never had an issue on the metro. Sometimes it sucks because it's so full but if you keep an eye on your stuff like you should in any city it's fine.

But Monterrey... Admittedly it was a few years ago but last time I was in there we went out to an iconic, popular restaurant (Rey de Cabrito) on a Friday night around 9PM. We're eating and suddenly it dawns on me that the restaurant is completely empty, on a Friday night. The guys that were with me said that people tend to not go out at night anymore because they're scared. Of course they said you just have to be careful and avoid places where narcos might hang out to try and make me feel better. Then they wanted me to go to a "table" and I was like hell no. Really, a table after you just told me that?
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#91 » by pickIBL » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:52 pm

nomansland wrote:Sounds legit to me, although I never had an issue on the metro. Sometimes it sucks because it's so full but if you keep an eye on your stuff like you should in any city it's fine.

But Monterrey... Admittedly it was a few years ago but last time I was in there we went out to an iconic, popular restaurant (Rey de Cabrito) on a Friday night around 9PM. We're eating and suddenly it dawns on me that the restaurant is completely empty, on a Friday night. The guys that were with me said that people tend to not go out at night anymore because they're scared. Of course they said you just have to be careful and avoid places where narcos might hang out to try and make me feel better. Then they wanted me to go to a "table" and I was like hell no. Really, a table after you just told me that?

The problem after the concert was that it was closed. And to answer your pm I like both parques. Parque mexico is a good place if you need a little exercise. A few of the young guys even play American football. The karaoke bar off nuevo leon has english songs. Not the best place to meet new people but a great place to drink with a date.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#92 » by pickIBL » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:01 pm

I could really go for an indio too btw. Best food and drinks in Latin America (df). Hottest women.... colombia
Axel
Veteran
And1: 1,133

Post#93 » by Axel » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:59 pm

Is Carlos Slim interested in an NBA team? If yes, then its definitely possible.
NBA4u
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#94 » by NBA4u » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:01 pm

Seattle >>>> Mexico City
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#95 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:05 pm

How about the clippers to Mexico ? Ballmer got the coin to make great stadium there .
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,293

Post#96 » by Black Jack » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:39 am

nomansland wrote:Sounds legit to me, although I never had an issue on the metro. Sometimes it sucks because it's so full but if you keep an eye on your stuff like you should in any city it's fine.

I heard a lot of tales about Monterrey. Definitely out of control.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#97 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:52 am

The problem, other than playing in Mexico city, which is like a 2 mile high Los Angeles smog bowl on 'roids, is of course how do you ever convince any NBA players to sign there.

That's really the biggest thing about European expansion too. Its all good if you have robots as our players. But instead you have guys shallow enough they routinely reject beautiful cities in Canada. Now you expect some significant subset of them to go play in Mexico with armed guards required at all times to make sure they are not kidnapped?
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#98 » by pickIBL » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:01 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:how do you ever convince any NBA players to sign there

Tequila, tacos, y chilangas
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#99 » by pickIBL » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:03 am

Ballerhogger wrote:How about the clippers to Mexico ? Ballmer got the coin to make great stadium there .

The arena is already there.

No need to beg seattle for it.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,293

Post#100 » by Black Jack » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:55 am

Pachinko_ wrote:it would be nice to see a lively NBA arena for a change, NBA crowds are a little boring.

eeeeevery-body-clap-your-hands, clapclapclapclapclap
LOL

I actually agree with this, US crowds are lame. I went to the Pan-American games in Guadalajara and had a blast.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf

Return to The General Board